Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any likelihood at all of United just buying Charlie Austin as a bit of a Danny Ings-esque role (like Ings has for Liverpool) as someone who can just come on and be that out and out striker United need as a sub.

The Ings-esque roll seems to be young Engish player not gonna get much of a game at all

Is there any likelihood at all of United just buying Charlie Austin as a bit of a Danny Ings-esque role (like Ings has for Liverpool) as someone who can just come on and be that out and out striker United need as a sub.

I hope not.

Mane is a decent prospect, it's just it's always going to sound bad when everyone is hyped up on Pedro. Anything approaching £20m for him would be incredibly steep, £25m downright ridiculous from a buyers perspective.

Mane is a decent prospect, it's just it's always going to sound bad when everyone is hyped up on Pedro. Anything approaching £20m for him would be incredibly steep, £25m downright ridiculous from a buyers perspective.

If the mentioned 25% sell-on clause is correct, then £20m will equate to just a £3.2m profit for Saints in a year (we paid £11.8m I think). As a club that doesn't need money, it would take a more enticing offer than that to persuade us to sell, or Mane would have to get arsey.

If the mentioned 25% sell-on clause is correct, then £20m will equate to just a £3.2m profit for Saints in a year (we paid £11.8m I think). As a club that doesn't need money, it would take a more enticing offer than that to persuade us to sell, or Mane would have to get arsey.

That's what I meant by "from a buyer's perspective", buying a player who has his price inflated from various clauses and the like isn't good business. I can well understand why Southampton would want silly money for him, but Mane isn't of sufficient quality to warrant what it would cost to buy him.

It would seem very odd to me that after a £10m transfer fee a '25% of total fee' sell-on clause would also be included.

I wouldn't mind charlie Austin as long as Wilson goes on loan somewhere and doesn't just stagnate on the bench. Will probably cost 15m and he would be a proper forward who can happily play up top on his own and has a decent scoring record. That way we have 3 very different forwards who offer something different. And even though we don't play 2 up top they would all complement each other quite well if it did happen.

Obviously people will say he's not 'utd quality' but as a stop gap or back up id say he was more than half decent. Plus it would hopefully allow Wilson to go on loan which I think is what he needs.

fans just get so caught up and invested in these big names talked about in the media – whether it's ramos or pedro or whoever – and then throw a massive tantrum when they're not all magically signed, despite often not being serious targets in the first place, or if we've dropped interest and decided against it etc etc. then they can't see beyond those who have been mentioned for the past month and all of a sudden it's a BIG WOODWARD FAILURE. chill out.

Twitter is to blame

Surely these Sadio Mane rumours are just the usual made up slow-news-day bollocks that journalists come up with to fill the back pages? I mean, if true it is just daft imo. Can't get Pedro so next option is... Mane? Don't see any point in buying someone like him, would much rather give chances to Wilson, Pereira etc... in the forward positions that pay for someone like him.

I haven't watched any sports news on tv or online for the past couple of days other than what I've read in here, not everyone is glued to sports news all the time.

Would be such a silly signing, for the reason I mentioned above. Just give the younger guys a chance. Such a drop down from Pedro to Mane that it just seems like settling for the best that we can go for now rather than waiting until we can get someone we really want.

Surely these Sadio Mane rumours are just the usual made up slow-news-day bollocks that journalists come up with to fill the back pages? I mean, if true it is just daft imo. Can't get Pedro so next option is... Mane? Don't see any point in buying someone like him, would much rather give chances to Wilson, Pereira etc... in the forward positions that pay for someone like him.

what do you mean "someone like him"? someone like him is exactly what our attack is lacking in wide areas.

I haven't watched any sports news on tv or online for the past couple of days other than what I've read in here, not everyone is glued to sports news all the time.

Would be such a silly signing, for the reason I mentioned above. Just give the younger guys a chance. Such a drop down from Pedro to Mane that it just seems like settling for the best that we can go for now rather than waiting until we can get someone we really want.

Have you watched Mane at all?

He scored 10 goals in 32 games iirc last season, his first season in the PL and is only 23, would be a good signing for us and exactly he sort of wide player that we need.

I'm not doubting he is a good player, but just seems like settling a bit. We're looking at Pedro, then change to Mane, just seems like a fair step down.

Depends how you look at it. Pedro is obviously the better player, but Mane has potential and resale value. Anyway, not seen anything to suggest we've pursued that any further than one bid week last week.

The Daily Mail has linked us with Griezmann. I can't even begin to describe how much I'd love that happen. Alas, it's the DM and nowhere serious has even mentioned it.

That bearded Spanish fella from Sky Sports reckons that the De Gea deal will happen late in the transfer window, and that all of the current delay is just cocking about from both United and Madrid. United's stance about not playing him is allegedly part of a grand plan to soften the blow of his departure by making it appear as if he didn't want to play for the club.

I'm not doubting he is a good player, but just seems like settling a bit. We're looking at Pedro, then change to Mane, just seems like a fair step down.

if mane is such a huge step down from pedro then what the hell is pereira or lingard? we're looking for players with the right profile for the system and attributes to improve the team, not just big names.

Mane just isn't foreign enough to be exciting

I don't see him at United though, be very surprised.

You think you're signing anyone else, genuine, I mean?

I don't see the point of just signing some striker unless it's a top target you want not just for now but for next season and the one after. I just reckon Hernandez will play a whole lot more, what's wrong with that?

i don't mind giving hernandez a go and think he has a place on the bench at the very least. the problem is rooney shouldn't be playing at all and isn't good enough to lead the line for a team with title winning hopes anymore. which is why i think a top quality striker is the priority (not a winger or a centre-back), whether that's a big name like muller, or someone else we've identified who has the right qualities (i don't know who).

That bearded Spanish fella from Sky Sports reckons that the De Gea deal will happen late in the transfer window, and that all of the current delay is just cocking about from both United and Madrid. United's stance about not playing him is allegedly part of a grand plan to soften the blow of his departure by making it appear as if he didn't want to play for the club.

So basically Sterling then.

His English makes for a few misunderstandings tbh. Ofc the journalists happily "misunderstands" (not sure I'd even call them journalists these days). When LVG says "I think when we wanted Pedro it was not any problem because there was a clause in his contract so it was an easy contract." the media assume that means LVG wanted him (that's the word he used after all), even though he's literally just said a minute before that's not the case. If they had asked him to elaborate on that I'm sure they'd find he meant "If we wanted Pedro it would not be a problem because he had a minimum fee clause in his contract". Makes for some fun stories though.

Perhaps talking out of my left ear, but could the alleged interest in Müller be obscuring our real target: Mario Götze?

Not sure how much of a "van Gaal player" he may be, but he can play attacking midfield from left to centre to right, and appears at least a little bit at risk in the Bayern lineup. More a '10' type than a wide player admittedly.

His English makes for a few misunderstandings tbh. Ofc the journalists happily "misunderstands" (not sure I'd even call them journalists these days). When LVG says "I think when we wanted Pedro it was not any problem because there was a clause in his contract so it was an easy contract." the media assume that means LVG wanted him (that's the word he used after all), even though he's literally just said a minute before that's not the case. If they had asked him to elaborate on that I'm sure they'd find he meant "If we wanted Pedro it would not be a problem because he had a minimum fee clause in his contract". Makes for some fun stories though.

Or he plays on his English use maybe. Not sure he's that poor tbh but that may be just me thinking that.

Archived