Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Find it so hard to say yes but he's arguably the best keeper in the world right now. Don't think he's far off Peter, if at all

He's certainly had the consistency that Schmeichal had. Going to be better if he stays with us...please God please.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought I'd mix it up a little bit since I'm sure you're called an idiot on such a regular basis.

Keep bashing Herrera and whatever other nonsense agendas you've come up with this week though :lol:

That and evolving clearly doesn't mean what you think it does.

It was a tongue in cheek, as you're clearly not evolving.

LVG talking some utter rubbish post-match, and might get in trouble for it actually.

Watching Rashford & Lingard at the end there is everything you want to see. Both of them local lads & both absolutely buzzing.

LvG blaming the ref in his interview even though we won :D

Let's win the thing now & LvG can walk away with a trophy.

DDG is the best in the world at what he does :cool:

A more experienced front line, but with the same pace and skill set, and we win that comfortably. Just the end product at times from Martial, Rashford and Lingard lacking at times. All three were very good though.

Ref was shocking, never a pen for them and the Jag handball was blatant.

The last post wasn't meant as a statement. But sometimes people forget just how brilliant Schmeichel was.

One on one situations there was no better keeper.

Agreed Pete was the best at that and allowed the team to attack lots. Schmeichal at one end and Cantona at the other won us the league. However, DDG is keeping us in the top half on a weekly basis. DDG is the best shot stopper I've seen and I think is having more influence on games than any other player in our team.

DDG is the best in the world at what he does :cool:

A more experienced front line, but with the same pace and skill set, and we win that comfortably. Just the end product at times from Martial, Rashford and Lingard lacking at times. All three were very good though.

Ref was shocking, never a pen for them and the Jag handball was blatant.

Come off it, Spop :D No ref on earth would have seen the Jagielka handball

Can't really see blaming the ref at all. He didn't have such a terrible game. No way he say Jag handballl. He would have called it.

Really liking the way Rashford and Martial are developing on the field together. Lingard played well, too, but he really has to work on his passing/crossing on the break. It was really lacking today.

Rooney and Fellaini played pretty well, too.

BSD is just ridiculous. So glad that Navas is playing as well as he is. Please win the CL Navas. We want Dave to stay right where he is.

MOTM should be shared by DDG and Martial.

FA Cup final, get in.

That was such a Manchester United way to win a big game too, always the hard way.

Thought Fellaini had his best game for us today, good goal, held up the ball well to bring others into play and that run back to spot the danger and then block Lukaku's shot was fantastic.

Not a fan of LvG taking of TFM as a way of punishing him for giving away the penalty that was never a penalty, sort of thing that can really affect a player. Should have kept him on, notice how much worse off we were when he went off for Valencia, same thing happened vs Spurs and they took their chances, thankfully Everton couldn't do the same today.

Knew as soon as Martial received the ball from Herrera in the last minute what he was going to do and that he would score, never in doubt.

Rashford is fantastic too, plays so mature at such a young age, got a very big future at United that lad.

BSD is the best in the business right now.

Agree with dion on Schmeichel, and whoever said earlier that many probably don't remember how brilliant Schmeichel was. Obviously I don't know how old most people in here are, but I reckon a fair few fans have seen few matches with him, if any at all.

DDG is probably as good as he was on shot stopping, if not even better. But Schmeichel was great at everything, and much better than DDG at organising the defence. DDG has improved a lot on aerial balls and such, but Schmeichel was simply King there.

Schmeichel also was a better goalscorer than DDG :D

Agree with dion on Schmeichel, and whoever said earlier that many probably don't remember how brilliant Schmeichel was. Obviously I don't know how old most people in here are, but I reckon a fair few fans have seen few matches with him, if any at all.

DDG is probably as good as he was on shot stopping, if not even better. But Schmeichel was great at everything, and much better than DDG at organising the defence. DDG has improved a lot on aerial balls and such, but Schmeichel was simply King there.

Schmeichel also was a better goalscorer than DDG :D

Yup, Schmeichel was an unreal keeper, he didn't have weakness in his game and, more importantly, very rarely made a mistake. Add his leadership and presence and you've got the best i've ever seen.

Yup, Schmeichel was an unreal keeper, he didn't have weakness in his game and, more importantly, very rarely made a mistake. Add his leadership and presence and you've got the best i've ever seen.

DDG is fantastic and without him we would be fighting to stay in Prem;) at the same age DDG would be better

Schmeicel had more to his game to as you say and is the best Utd keeper I have seen...but DDG is still developing and his best years are ahead, I hope it is with us

fantastic game today very pleased that first half was like watching Utd of old, said in preseason we would go 4-3-3 (but thought depay would be the wide man)its only taken nearly 50 games to get there LOL rooney has to be played in midfield and give the youth the top spots

VdS had amazing throwing. His distribution was amazing.

The one area where DdG excels above any other keeper I've ever seen is his footwork. Just so calm & pings the ball to any area be wants. Very rare he kicks it out of play or mishits it.

We have been pretty blessed with those 3 keepers. I really hope we keep this one. But I hope he doesn't continue to be our best player. We need outfielders to do more next year. Martial certainly looks like the real deal.

ps in my part of the world only catching up with the game etc now

what the hell happens now Sakho cheated do the scousers get bombed out of Europa??

It'd have to be at least a few players caught at once.

Not a patch on Schmeichel though, couldn't hope to make the distances he got consistently.

Sometimes it seemed Big Pete could throw it further than the average keeper could kick it, combined with incredible accuracy.

Aaaah, that's cute. Trying to be authoritarian with statements like that. Is this a new form of calling people idiots then? At least you're evolving. Sort of.

Let's just ignore virtually Mourinho's entire career then. I'm sure he'll change massively if he becomes the United manager.

:lol:

Just thought I'd address this properly now I have time, since simply saying you're wrong might leave you with some kind of delusion that I was being dismissive without cause.

Porto (34 game seasons)

2002-2003 2nd (73) Benfica 1st (74)

2003-2004 1st (63)

Before him: join 2nd (66) Sporting 1st (74)

Chelsea

2004-2005 2nd (72) Arsenal 1st (87)

2005-2006 joint 1st (72)

2006-2007 2nd (64) Man Utd first (83)

Before him: 2nd (67) Arsenal (73)

Inter

2008-2009 joint 1st (70)

2009-2010 1st (75)

Before: 3rd (69) Roma/Juventus (72)

Real

2010-2011 1st (102) Barca 2nd (95)

2011-2012 1st (121) Barca 2nd (114) <- The Messi 50 goal season

2012-2013 2nd (103) Barca 1st (115) <- The Messi 46 goal season

Before: 1st (102) Barca 2nd (98)

Chelsea

2013-2014 3rd (71) City 1st (102)

2014-2015 2nd (73) City 1st (83)

Before: 2nd (75) Utd 1st (86)

Gpg: 2.14

SAF last 12 years at United:

86, 89, 78, 86, 68, 80, 83, 72, 58, 64, 74, 87

Gpg: 2.02

So not only have his teams scored at a better rate than SAF, he's also only once taken over a team and had them score less and only once been outside of the top 2 scorers in the league. I know some will cry "but Madrid biases that!", well the gpg without his best 3 seasons and and SAF's are 1.90 and 1.93, which leaves them well within statistical insignificance.

I hope that is sufficient to kill the idea that his teams consistently set themselves out in a negative manner. He's got a well earned reputation for being negative in big games and whether this is a good or bad thing is up for debate, but the idea that his teams don't regularly and consistently play attractive, attacking football is simply untrue and the statistics back this up. Unless we're going to accuse SAF of being a negative manager of course.

I'm guessing Pan has allowed his personal dislike of Mourinho to selectively block facts which has lead to his rather bizarre assertions.

[

Let's just ignore virtually Mourinho's entire career then. I'm sure he'll change massively if he becomes the United manager.

:lol:

think you will find its not if but when he is our manager;)

what you will see is some changes namely a more humble man, this is the job he wants/wanted and he will want to show why he should have got it when SAF retired, if he gets the players in we need to add to the batch of youngsters coming through it could be exciting times ahead....

with his contacts and agent I can see us getting the quality where we need it, and who knows we could be challenging next year

diontheace's excellent comprehensive post above dispels the utter nonsense that some spout the facts speak for themselves Jose does not play negative football, he does however not go gungho and picks the right time when to be more defensively minded, he is one of the best tactically astute managers I have seen and I for one will be over the moon when he is sat in our Home dugout

Mourinho is not going to play flowing Barcelona style football, the Klopp high press or the quick counter attack but his teams will create and score goals. He does go negative whenever the stakes are high but not as negative as a Simeone yet many fans are calling for Diego.

We will hate a lot of what Mourinho does and might regret hiring him but I just can't see how it will be worse than LVG and at this point in time, that is how I look at any future appointment :(

We make the cup final and stories in the press go from LvG being awful and needing to go to him/us having turned a corner and maybe he should see out his third year. No, no and no.

I am at work so there are only certain sites i can access so i had a look at RedCafe. Christ. We thought we had it bad in here. Everything from LvG deserving to see out his contract if we win the cup through to Depay needing to go as he is a one trick pony who cant cut it in a league higher than the Championship. Opinions seem to change on the back of everygame. Players go from world class to not good enough on the back of single performances.

I'm convinced LVG will be here next season. Think the club will back him and buy the players he wants.

All because the board can't agree on who the next guy should be, so they will continue with the plan of 3 years with LVG and then onto Giggs.

I do think they really need to get the player recruitment right this year though, LvG has trimmed the squad twice now so we're very unlikely to see lots of players leave. Whoever the manager is we need the basis of the team for the next 3-4 years in place by the start of next season.

I'm convinced LVG will be here next season. Think the club will back him and buy the players he wants.

All because the board can't agree on who the next guy should be, so they will continue with the plan of 3 years with LVG and then onto Giggs.

Agreed but only if gets CL qualification. Same rule as Moyes, as soon as he cant make it, he's gone. Cup final is a distraction, a lovely one, but it's all about the CL money and exposure.

I do think they really need to get the player recruitment right this year though, LvG has trimmed the squad twice now so we're very unlikely to see lots of players leave. Whoever the manager is we need the basis of the team for the next 3-4 years in place by the start of next season.

DDG

RB? Smalling CB? Shaw

Schneiderlin Herrerra

Lingard Mata/Rooney Martial

Rashford/Rooney

Throw Fosu-Mensah in there somewhere. Depay, Fellaini as options. Quality CB is priority. Blind as well.

Throw Fosu-Mensah in there somewhere. Depay, Fellaini as options. Quality CB is priority. Blind as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fosu Mensah become our starting RB next season. In a similar vein to how Alaba was primarily a CM in the Bayern youth teams, then made his breakthrough at full back.

DDG

RB? Smalling CB? Shaw

Schneiderlin Herrerra

Lingard Mata/Rooney Martial

Rashford/Rooney

Highly optimistic and that's still only the 1st 11.

We're probably going to need a new first choice centerback, central midfielder and one of a right winger or striker (ideally both). Add to that we're going to have to find a goalkeeper from somewhere soon too... it's going to be a busy window again.

I've gone with the realistic option. Centre back and maybe a striker is all that'll happen unless players get shipped on in my opinion. With Schweinsteiger and Carrick, if they renew his contract covering midfield, we're overloaded there especially if TFM moves there. Jones and Rojo cover centre back and left back whether you like it or not. Darmian and Valencia cover right back. We've actually got enough cover in the majority of positions - the quality though is questionable in some places. Actually think with the right tactics, we've got a very good squad but then I think Rooney cuts the mustard upfront...so what do I know?

A world class centre back allows us to attack more as well, which we can do very well. With another years experience, our kids will be even better.

Archived