Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was embarrassing. We have won and yet i feel so low. What a poor performance. Would not be surprised if LvG thought that was our best performance this season.

We didnt attack for the last 25 minutes. Villa hit the post and missed another good chance to level. From our perspective i enjoyed Depay and Rashford as they tried things, took on a player.

I'm surprised by the miserable reactions today. Sure it wasn't dazzling stuff, but I was quite happy with the performance myself - within reason - other than the 84th minute where we were a complete shambles.

Really not sure why people are chastising us for playing it in the corner just because it is Villa at home with a minute or two of injury time remaining. I'd happily wager any one doing so would have moaned just as much if someone had gone on a mazy run instead and lost the ball. It is standard practice to take the ball in the corner in the last few minutes when you have a slender lead, Of all the things we can moan about that really is not one of them.

As I say, despite not being anything like United of old, it was still the most comfortable, settling performance we've seen for a long time, other than that 84th minute as I say, where in that one minute we got completely ripped open and just manageed to block a cross before Schneiderlin air kicked his clearance, before it did get cleared right to a Villa player on the edge of the box who had a shot deflected over. From the corner Gested hit the post, and from the next corner Clarke (iirc) had a free header which he put over. If anything that one minute was pretty typical of our season and performances as a whole, completely losing concentration and being made to look pretty silly at the back.

Other than that, we dominated the match. Never looked in trouble, looked quite sharp going forward and were only a better cross or a more composed finish away from scoring on a couple of other occasions. Yes, it was Villa at home, but sometimes even back in the days of Fergie we could be smashing teams by 3 or 4 for several weeks then squeak a 1-0 win at home to the bottom side and even then it was comfortable. The only difference now is the **** we put out most other weeks make us only winning 1-0 at home ti Villa seem even worse and like we haven't actually put in one of our very few domination, solid displays.

I've been very vocal during the season in how awful we have been for the most part, but I really think saying we were awful or moaning about playing it in the corner in the last few minutes is really just too much.

Anyway. Rooney did ok today, nothing special but given he has been out for a while it would have been daft to expect an immediate return to the form he was starting to find again just prior to his injury. Depay did ok also, again some moments of what is there waiting to be unleashed as well as some moments of frustration. Rashford with another really smart finish although possibly Guzan could have done better (though saying that it's Guzan so that's unlikely), and another very sprightly performance overall. LVG having a laugh by bringing on TFM so that we actually finished the game with 3 FB's on the pitch (I know he has been playing midfield in the lower teams but as he has featured at FB in the first team so far, and everyone likes a comment about LVG and his FB's, allow me this).

The issue is we allowed ourselves to be in the position to go to **** in the last 10 minutes.

If you're 4-0 up it doesn't matter what happens, which any good team would have been. If this was a one-off it would just be "one of those days" except us actually taking a team apart is the exception rather than the rule.

No Premier League team will ever be worse than that Derby side a few years back though, genuine League 1 side.

Other than that one minute I mentioned they only applied minimal extra pressure in the closing minutes and we were most comfortable.

As I say I think people are jumping on this more than they would if it was preceeded by results of 3-0, 4-1 and 4-0 going in to it like when we were at our best. A case of people either struggling to think positively or actively wanting to view things in the worst possible light. I'm not delighted and sitting here thinking we've just sent a message to anyone or anything, but it was a positive performance imo and except for one minute we looked in total control.

Shame the City result hasn't gone our way, was really thinking Chelsea were likely to get a point out of it but there we go. Can't really complain about that though as it is our fault anyway that we are relying on other results to have a chance just to finish top 4.

I'm surprised by the miserable reactions today. Sure it wasn't dazzling stuff, but I was quite happy with the performance myself - within reason - other than the 84th minute where we were a complete shambles.

Really not sure why people are chastising us for playing it in the corner just because it is Villa at home with a minute or two of injury time remaining. I'd happily wager any one doing so would have moaned just as much if someone had gone on a mazy run instead and lost the ball. It is standard practice to take the ball in the corner in the last few minutes when you have a slender lead, Of all the things we can moan about that really is not one of them.

As I say, despite not being anything like United of old, it was still the most comfortable, settling performance we've seen for a long time, other than that 84th minute as I say, where in that one minute we got completely ripped open and just manageed to block a cross before Schneiderlin air kicked his clearance, before it did get cleared right to a Villa player on the edge of the box who had a shot deflected over. From the corner Gested hit the post, and from the next corner Clarke (iirc) had a free header which he put over. If anything that one minute was pretty typical of our season and performances as a whole, completely losing concentration and being made to look pretty silly at the back.

Other than that, we dominated the match. Never looked in trouble, looked quite sharp going forward and were only a better cross or a more composed finish away from scoring on a couple of other occasions. Yes, it was Villa at home, but sometimes even back in the days of Fergie we could be smashing teams by 3 or 4 for several weeks then squeak a 1-0 win at home to the bottom side and even then it was comfortable. The only difference now is the **** we put out most other weeks make us only winning 1-0 at home ti Villa seem even worse and like we haven't actually put in one of our very few domination, solid displays.

I've been very vocal during the season in how awful we have been for the most part, but I really think saying we were awful or moaning about playing it in the corner in the last few minutes is really just too much.

Anyway. Rooney did ok today, nothing special but given he has been out for a while it would have been daft to expect an immediate return to the form he was starting to find again just prior to his injury. Depay did ok also, again some moments of what is there waiting to be unleashed as well as some moments of frustration. Rashford with another really smart finish although possibly Guzan could have done better (though saying that it's Guzan so that's unlikely), and another very sprightly performance overall. LVG having a laugh by bringing on TFM so that we actually finished the game with 3 FB's on the pitch (I know he has been playing midfield in the lower teams but as he has featured at FB in the first team so far, and everyone likes a comment about LVG and his FB's, allow me this).

It's not the act of playing in the corner in itself, it's that we actually had to resort to that because we played so badly/were reluctant to try and get a second against the worst team in premier league history.

It was awful.

We certainly weren't reluctant to get a second at all. Rashford really should have scored a second but didn't even hit the target, we won 14 corners, two of which we exposed their inability to defend to find Mata who first hit the target then found no one following in on the second, and we had a couple of other chances where someone just didn't make the right run for a ball in. I'm not having that we were reluctant to try and get a second at all, until those last few minutes. It isn't like we just sat back from 55 minutes onwards and played keepball.

You do not get to count 14 corners as a positive when we muck about with probably 10 of them and don't even try to get the ball into the box :D

Well, actually yes I can. We won the 14 corners by attacking for goal. The fact we then don't have anyone capable of putting in a decent corner, and instead choose to play short most of the time is a totally separate issue, albeit one that needs addressing in the summer, somehow.

I for one look forward to the Europa league.....not!

LVG is bound to see out his contract, I can just sense it especially if we go all the way in the FAC

If that is to be the case, I for one can not wait to watch Rashford on the wing, Martial as a full back and Fosu-Mensah in goal next season :D

I genuinely don't know what the answer is with LVG. I really want him out, but the only apparent replacement is Mourinho who I absolutely don't want anywhere near the club. I guess the only positive outcome is Mourinho coming in and genuinely being a changed character who isn't the classless, petulant idiot he's been elsewhere, but I highly doubt that woud be the case.

Simeone is the absolute.perfect manager for Madrid. Whether or not he would be perfect for anyone else is unknown.

Edit.. for those who have blocked sid that was to him!

Well any manager who has not managed us would be unknown whether they are good for us or not, that's why we give opinions on this. I'm basing it on the way he manages is completely 100% opposite to LVG who clearly is not suited to us at all.

I genuinely don't know what the answer is with LVG. I really want him out, but the only apparent replacement is Mourinho who I absolutely don't want anywhere near the club. I guess the only positive outcome is Mourinho coming in and genuinely being a changed character who isn't the classless, petulant idiot he's been elsewhere, but I highly doubt that woud be the case.

I echo your thoughts. Not the part that Mourinho shouldn't be anywhere near the club however. But it is truly upsetting that the only viable replacement to LVG is in fact Mourinho. Wish we could get someone after the Euros, theres bound to be one of the managers that leaves their post after the tournament whose good enough to be United manager surely?

I don't know the myth about mourinho playing non attractive football. This guy helped Madrid break goal scoring records. He gave Chelsea the highest points total ever in the PL while playing good football. He has had success everywhere he has gone. His worst stint was his last at Chelsea but still won the league. The guy is a born winner. Don't like controversy? Then moyes would have been the perfect manager. I quite frankly could not care about what he does off pitch as long he brings good football and success to the club which he has done all his career.

I am sure if he gets it jose will be a more humble person, and not want to let down those on the board who have obviously had to fight for him to get the job, he has had a good break had chance to reflect and do some of his own scouting etc, he should come in refreshed and hungry

we have to get this right this time and sticking with LVG, giving it to Giggs are not the right options, we have sat on our hands when the best options have gone elsewhere(or they didn't want to come to Utd)

I am 99.9% certain LVG goes no matter if he gets 4th and wins the cup, forget the utter rubbish we are playing what counts to the people running the show is $$$££££ and due to this bluffer that is on the slide .....so he is a goner:thup: and rightly so and the best quality option is Jose, so for all his faults he has to be the choice......who knows Utd might just be the dream combination and instead of doing his 2-3 year stint he/the club might be the start of a long love affair;)

we have scored 40 goals in 33 games PATHETIC

I am sure if he gets it jose will be a more humble person, and not want to let down those on the board who have obviously had to fight for him to get the job, he has had a good break had chance to reflect and do some of his own scouting etc, he should come in refreshed and hungry

we have to get this right this time and sticking with LVG, giving it to Giggs are not the right options, we have sat on our hands when the best options have gone elsewhere(or they didn't want to come to Utd)

I am 99.9% certain LVG goes no matter if he gets 4th and wins the cup, forget the utter rubbish we are playing what counts to the people running the show is $$$££££ and due to this bluffer that is on the slide .....so he is a goner:thup: and rightly so and the best quality option is Jose, so for all his faults he has to be the choice......who knows Utd might just be the dream combination and instead of doing his 2-3 year stint he/the club might be a long love affair;)

What bloody world are you living in. No chance that happens. If we win a trophy and qualify for the CL he is going nowhere. He'll probably get a ****ing stand named after him.

What bloody world are you living in. No chance that happens. If we win a trophy and qualify for the CL he is going nowhere. He'll probably get a ****ing stand named after him.

obviously not the same as yours;)

if you are suggesting that should we squeak our way to a UCL place after playing some dreadful football then we have different standards, if the club sticks with this bluffer they deserve all that they will get

NB he is going in a years time no matter what happens and another year of anti football will not be tolerated more for the financial implications than anything else.....the change will be made along with a director of football coming in, no matter what happens regarding where we finish

I declined to listen to LvGs post match interview yesterday but i am reading today that he described Villa as a 'well organised defensive team'.

Villa have won 3 and lost 24 of 34 games this season conceeding a league high 65 goals with a -42 goal difference and have been relegated sitting bottom of the league on 16 points.

We hung on to a 1-0 win at home over the worst team the league has seen in years, perhaps ever. Yeah, wonder why people have a grim view of this :D

this says it all, got to say the last 30 mins were a blur I totally lost interest, I cant take anymore it hurts too much

will have to do this instead

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/manchester-united-fan-falls-asleep-7770949

I declined to listen to LvGs post match interview yesterday but i am reading today that he described Villa as a 'well organised defensive team'.

Villa have won 3 and lost 24 of 34 games this season conceeding a league high 65 goals with a -42 goal difference and have been relegated sitting bottom of the league on 16 points.

I mean saying "they're ****, we should have battered them" would have been a little bit classless.

The bollocks he speaks in public isn't the issue, Fergie talked a load of crap he doesn't believe as well.

Yes, there is still some very slight hope of CL next season with now being 4 points behind both City and Arsenal, but I'd expect all 3 of us to win our next game. We obviously have to beat Palace, but Arsenal should beat West Brom at home, and you'd expect City to win away at Newcastle.

But we know it's never that simple. You'd have expected Arsenal to win at home to Palace, City like to slip up and Newcastle really are battling for their lives and if Palace can get a draw at Arsenal then they can at our place, too.

Certainly a lot going on this season. A proper title race, a battle for CL, a smaller battle for EL, and a relegation battle.

Archived