Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

I've been thinking recently Smalling might really mature a bit later than others. With him having less footballing education than everyone else in the squad the mental side of the game might take longer to catch up. Technically and physically he has it all to be great and since the major ****up vs City last year he has been very good.

Im less convinced Jones will do the same at the moment, I thought it would have started to take effect with him by now.

Disagree re Jones. Smalling showing the benefit of being played consistently at CB rather than RB or not at all. Jones needs the same without getting injured. Remember they were a superb u21 partnership.

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disagree re Jones. Smalling showing the benefit of being played consistently at CB rather than RB or not at all. Jones needs the same without getting injured. Remember they were a superb u21 partnership.

The injury thing is why I am less convinced, when he has played a lot he has improved and given us some good performances. But he shows no signs of getting injured less and seems to put himself at risk way too much at the moment.

Blind doesn't seem to fit into the team. He's doing ok at the back there but just doesn't seem like this is a plan. Odd seeing as he was signed last season and then Herrera was great last season and not featuring either

I think Januzaj is not really a first team player atm. I think definate role for Hernandez this season though

We look like we are back to the penny pinching days already, the books must be nearly balanced this summer when you factor in wages. We've ****ed the Pedro deal up monumentally and now our rivals are going to strengthen a weakened part of their team. Brilliant.

It's also reported that the treatment of Valdes and DDG has had a part to play in Pedro's decision.

However, had we just stopped messing around with a few million euros, in what is an already cheap deal, that wouldn't have been a factor anyway.

I bet it will be released that we were never interested.

Its already being touted as a managers decision, well unless Muller is coming or another star why would LVG lose interest? Its rubbish.

The only positive could be that I have read Mourinho doesn't want Pedro but Roman does and it is creating tensions with Jose fearing its the old Abramovich popping back up.

It's only a 'missed opportunity' if Pedro had a preference for United, which we don't know. Maybe he fancied Chelsea all along

Not really, we've been the only option for a long while so all we had to do was seal it up, by leaving it we've allowed interest from another team that may have never shown an interest if we hadn't stalled.

We've got one of them, he just can't beat anybody or cross the ball.

Valencia? But then there is Young and Depay and Valencia, that is it. Valencia plays RB more often anyway. Reports say you have made a huge bid for Muller but he would play behind Rooney or compete up front surely? ...

We really should have got Pedro tied up sooner. If we don't have someone else coming in then I feel it's a mistake. Come on Ed, go get us Muller.

I hope they sign Thomas Müller (fingers crossed) I've been a fan since 2010 when I thought he was Germany's best player at the World Cup.

He could play from the right hand side or anywhere across the front really.

His movement and work rate are his biggest strengths in my opinion and he's no slough when it comes to finishing chances too.

it can't be money that's the issue if we're offering €85m for muller (so says bild who seem generally reliable with bayern). woodward can't be THAT stupid surely? we've been told €30m and not a penny less for months now. then again i can't see why van gaal wouldn't want pedro, unless he's got something better in mind...

Would Muller even leave Bayern? The staunch affinity these German born Bayern players seem to hold for the club aside, Bayern are the better team at the moment and he stands a better chance winning something of note staying where he is than with Man U.

Honestly don't see what the fuzz is about. Pedro would be a nice option to have, but I'd much rather we spend money on a proper front man and a central defender.

As for Woodward being in Barcelona, there was another team playing as well, and they have a very talented young central defender. I'm not sure I see it happening, but I'd be absolutely thrilled to see him join us.

Oh, and if we actually have a chance of getting Müller we should just pay what ever they want. Of the highly rated footballers in the world he's still one of the most underrated imo.

Would Muller even leave Bayern? The staunch affinity these German born Bayern players seem to hold for the club aside, Bayern are the better team at the moment and he stands a better chance winning something of note staying where he is than with Man U.

New challenge maybe. He has won everything at Bayern. There is no realistic challenge for the league and moving to the best league in the world might just tempt him.

he might fancy something new like schweinsteiger, the premier league, probably european football, money etc etc, and he'd be working with van gaal. but i think the issue is more with bayern not wanting to let him (another icon) go, and muller would probably just go along with bayern in the end and stay there. i don't think he's that desperate to leave.

he might fancy something new like schweinsteiger, the premier league, probably european football, money etc etc, and he'd be working with van gaal. but i think the issue is more with bayern not wanting to let him (another icon) go, and muller would probably just go along with bayern in the end and stay there. i don't think he's that desperate to leave.

I agree with this. I'm sure Bayern aren't struggling for money but just whack £100m on the table and see if they take it.

Very odd we've pulled out of the Pedro deal. The old pattern repeats itself. We haggle on price for months, Chelsea tie it up in a few days.

He seems like a great fit for us. We need more goalscorers, and pace out wide. He would bring it.

Müller isn't happening. Get real. Next you'll claim we'll get Schweinsteiger :lol:

Hold on.... :ackter:

No seriously, tho, I don't see why he would leave Bayern. Would just be another Ramos situation, where we all realistically know it's not going to happen, but Ed spends silly amounts of hours on it. Then deadline passes, no players have been signed, and we rage about why we wasted time pursuing a player that clearly was unavailable.

LVG doesn't strike me as the type of manager who would accept being told that we have missed out on someone for the sake of a couple of million euros. So if we aren't interested I would assume it is LVG's decision.

I'm really hoping there is someone else lined up though, both up top and centre back.

Just watched the match. Good result but could have been worse. A couple of occasions they were the matter of picking the right pass or executing the pass properly from scoring a second. Just our defending positioning at times was really poor.

Smalling was excellent yet again, Shaw is getting better with each match and I absolutely love Darmian. He is so difficult to get past, and is looking better going forward each match. The guy can seriously pick out a decent pass as well.

Can't quite decide if Smalling or Depay were my MOTM. Depay scored two beautiful goals but also had a good share of moments where he took far too long on the ball and missed his opportunity to make something happen, or tried something that didn't come off. A great ball though for Fellaini's goal so that may have just swung it for him.

Rooney was a bit better than the previous two games but still so disappointing. Januzaj was poor as well. I really do think he needs to go out on loan to somewhere that he'll play regularly, a midtable Prem side ideally. Far too many times he tries to be too clever and also his final ball was poor quite often as well as some stray passes. Needs to really start doing the basic things right on a consistent basis before bringing in the tricks and stuff, far too like early days Ronaldo atm.

Was calling for Carrick to be replaced at HT by Schweinsteiger as felt he had a rare poor game. So many misplaced passes which is so unusual for him, though it was a great pickout for Depay's first.

Overall I thought that we looked a lot sharper when attacking in the most part, more fluid, though we still broke down a bit too often due to an errant pass and we do lack pace in and around Rooney. Depay is bringing that but as good as Mata, Carrick, Schneiderlin are they do lack pace.

Still, should be job done and will take a monumental ****up for us to not concede, so job done in terms of what we should have at least expected from the first leg. Would expect us to win on Saturday.

Mane is very talented but I think he needs another season at Southampton to mature

how can he be good, he plays for southampton not barcelona??? better than watching januzaj run about in slow motion and falling over.

Sadio Mane is a very good player but the ironic thing is you will have to pay much more for Mane than you would have bought Pedro for.

but we've been through this: money is irrelevant here.

Nothing to do with the club he's from.

Mane has had a few sporadic good moments and has potential whilst Pedro is proven quality, a winner and a position we're in desperate need to add some top class quality.

That's without even considering the likely fees.

Would rather give Lingard and Pereira a chance now tbf

Speaking of kids. Particularly, Pereira. He looked so lively in preseason. And, quick. On the wing. With a nice cross. Isn't that what we are looking for? Put the kid in and see what he can do.

Archived