Sports Interactive Community
Harryseaess

Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Money does indeed talk, it's what got us Martial, and di Maria before that, but I don't see Kane moving either. Spurs will get CL football next season, may win the title this season, and could very well challenge for it next season too. We're still a bit of a mess, and far from the lucrative club we were 5 years ago. It makes more sense for him to stay and be competitive for titles there. If he keeps playing like he has for the last two seasons, a big move will be possible down the line as well.

He'd also cost silly money. Do we really want to blow 60-80m pounds on Kane (even if we could get him), when we have pretty talented English forwards ourselves in Rashford and Wilson? If we're going to chuck silly money this coming summer, there are other positions that needs strengthening more than up front. There is the big scary issue of what happens with DDG, we could do with a right winger, probably another central midfielder, and of course a central defender.

I'd rather have their manager to be honest, especially if that prevents Pop-eye coming to United.

The forward position is the absolute last place you want to rely on a youngster, having a 25 goal a season striker is a necessity and neither Rashford, Rooney or Wilson are going to get near that figure next year.

Your argument has shifted from "it never happens" to "I don't want it to happen".

He seemed to do alright before he got burgled, hardly done worse than Depay has he? RvP didn't exactly hurt us either, Falcao was always going to be a flop but there were suitors for him too.

As I said, money talks.

The burgled thing is an excuse. He played one good (for the money we paid) game and then fell off a cliff. Depay isn't world class, he's a youngster struggling to adapt. RVP wouldn't come to us now if the situation was the same as we're not challenging for the title. Falcao was a joke.

Yeah, sorry Pan, but that bit about not wanting Kane because we have Rashford/Wilson is baffling.

Kane absolute miles ahead of either of those. I like both those guys, but I'd have Kane over either of those in a heartbeat.

What we need to hope is that we have the money tospend on all the positions we need to strengthen, the issue then is will LVG just do what he has already done and yet again fail to actually improve the squad properly. The fact he has spent so much and the squad is in the state it is, I'm not sure I'd want to give him another £150m to spend, hell I'd be reluctant to give him £50m.

Just spoke to someone who had a meet and greet with the West Brom squad today. He spoke to Darren Fletcher for around 10mins about United. Fletcher said he still speaks to Rooney and Carrick and the morale at united is basically ****. Not great to hear!

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reports that Louis van Gaal will remain as Manchester United boss next season - and will be given £80m to spend in the summer, most of it to be used on a striker.

:(

The burgled thing is an excuse. He played one good (for the money we paid) game and then fell off a cliff. Depay isn't world class, he's a youngster struggling to adapt. RVP wouldn't come to us now if the situation was the same as we're not challenging for the title. Falcao was a joke.

He had plenty of good games for us, and as he's shown at PSG he's a world class player and I never said Depay was. But as I said, you're arguing different things now because you know your original point was incorrect.

I don't actually mind any of the players LvG has bought, he's just been way too optimistic in the players he let go thinking he could bring in replacements. We've done well to avoid the likes of Otamendi, Pedro etc. but we need to actually buy a quality striker, central defender and right sided winger if we're going to challenge for anything regardless of manager. Unless Martial does actually turn into Thierry Henry next season we just don't have enough goals in the team.

Yeah, sorry Pan, but that bit about not wanting Kane because we have Rashford/Wilson is baffling.

Kane absolute miles ahead of either of those. I like both those guys, but I'd have Kane over either of those in a heartbeat.

What we need to hope is that we have the money tospend on all the positions we need to strengthen, the issue then is will LVG just do what he has already done and yet again fail to actually improve the squad properly. The fact he has spent so much and the squad is in the state it is, I'm not sure I'd want to give him another £150m to spend, hell I'd be reluctant to give him £50m.

Of course Kane is much better than both of those, that's not the issue. We need strengthening more in other positions than up front. If we can't create chances and get the ball up there (nor prevent silly goals at the back), it doesn't matter who is up there. We're not going to score much.

Just spoke to someone who had a meet and greet with the West Brom squad today. He spoke to Darren Fletcher for around 10mins about United. Fletcher said he still speaks to Rooney and Carrick and the morale at united is basically ****. Not great to hear!

Not great to hear at all -- though it's hardly surprising given the way we've played this season, and the poor results.

He had plenty of good games for us, and as he's shown at PSG he's a world class player and I never said Depay was. But as I said, you're arguing different things now because you know your original point was incorrect.

di Maria had more than one good game, but overall he was very underwhelming apart from that first month or so. What's the cause of that is debatable, but what is certain is that he didn't live up to the expectations, and he's played much better now when in PSG.

RvN or Kane would have 20+ goals in this United side, that argument just doesn't work. If a 19 year old Martial can get 13 and a dead Rooney can get 14 it's laughable to suggest a better striker wouldn't get more. Look how much more dangerous we looked in the few games where Rooney played something like his old self and actually occupied defenders. Having someone defenders are constantly scared about creates loads of space for everyone else behind them.

di Maria had more than one good game, but overall he was very underwhelming apart from that first month or so. What's the cause of that is debatable, but what is certain is that he didn't live up to the expectations, and he's played much better now when in PSG.

Neither of which is relevant to the point JJ72 originally made. AdM's poor form arrived after he moved to the club, which he did despite him being widely regarded as one of the best players in the team that had just won the CL and the fact we weren't even in the competition because we threw loads of money at him.

Whether that's a strategy you'd want to employ is another argument. Denying it's an option however is silly given the evidence to the contrary.

One swallow doesn't make a summer but my original point still stands. Kane will not come to Utd whatever we throw at him.

Money talks AM. There's a long list of players their fans thought wouldn't move.

Still no chance, homegrown player in a team like Spurs has no chance to going to Man United in their current state.

Fine if you sort yourselves out, but right now 0% chance, not even 0.1% chance!

I'm not saying he couldn't move, just not to United now.

Ronaldo left a team that had won 3 league titles, 1 CL semi, 1 win and 1 final for a team that had been irrelevant for about 5 years.

Money and names count, especially when Levy is in charge of selling.

Yes, but was still a team that was the 2nd best team in Spain. Had also won the league in 2008 and 2007 iirc.

Yes, but was still a team that was the 2nd best team in Spain. Had also won the league in 2008 and 2007 iirc.

They were the second best team miles behind the best team, and the 'best team' in England will be very much up for grabs next season. I was speaking about the Champions League, they went 5 seasons without getting past the first knockout round.

Our situation might be worse than Madrid's was back then, but then Spurs are no where near the level United were either. Man Utd with Kane are suddenly a totally different proposition, Spurs with Kane are clearly better right now, but if Kane is thinking "which club gives me the best chance of trophies in the next 8 years" then it becomes a lot less clear.

One swallow doesn't make a summer but my original point still stands. Kane will not come to Utd whatever we throw at him.

Two swallows, then there was RvP before that. The club has plenty of money to throw at problems and money talks.

Two swallows, then there was RvP before that. The club has plenty of money to throw at problems and money talks.

but United were far stronger than arsenal back then

They were the second best team miles behind the best team, and the 'best team' in England will be very much up for grabs next season. I was speaking about the Champions League, they went 5 seasons without getting past the first knockout round.

Our situation might be worse than Madrid's was back then, but then Spurs are no where near the level United were either.

From a CL perspective fair enough, despite the gap in the league in 2009, they still had finishes of 1st, 1st and 2nd from 07-09.

With Ronaldo you had to factor in the lifestyle factor, Madrid for him ahead of Man United meant it partially went beyond footballing matters. And to bring that into the Kane situation now, for players in England being in London can be a factor.

Lastly, no of course we are no where near the Man United team of 2009- which is one of the best I've ever seen. But then Kane isn't on Ronaldo's level either, the comparison of Real/United to present day Spurs/United is a whole notch down.

Except from a financial point of view, which probably says a lot about the Sky deal and how weak the Premier League is right now.

For sure and a few years ago if you brought in a good offer, Levy would eventually have given in. With the silly money now, wouldn't surprise me if Levy asked for say 200million or something! We have less need to bring in money.

Of course all dependent on Kane actually wanting to go.

our chance was last year he will not come to us now

he will stay at spurs unless a madrid/barca come in for him

talking about strikers javier Hernandez's latest goal was a cracker in post match interview stated his form is down to manager having faith in him

think he has 15 in league he is looking sharp

Quite like the dismissal of developing our young strikers in favour of another big money signing considering Spurs broke their club record on a supposed guaranteed goalscorer to then bring Kane through once he'd flopped spectacularly.

Think it's really unlikely we get Kane. Di Maria and Falcao are reasonable examples of us still being a draw without the context of the push factors of both players' clubs wanting rid of them. When's the last time we signed a big player from a team around the same or a higher level than us, who wanted to keep that player? Calling Real an irrelevance, particularly in the context of Ronaldo, is laughable. Even the money aspect falls down since the TV cash plus CL money should give Spurs enough clout to keep him on, particularly with the leverage of the on-field success. If Kane('s agent)'s got half a clue he'd negotiate a new 'CL-player' contract which would then put him at a stronger starting point if he wanted to leave next year.

Only slim chance I reckon we'd have would be if the stadium move means Levy can't or won't be able to offer him a good enough package to keep him or actively seeks to cash in on him now, and even then with other interested parties likely I don't think Woodward's a canny enough operator to seal the deal. Getting a competent manager in could make a difference I suppose, depending on who it was.

United next 2 matches: Spurs away and Villa Home

City's next 2 matches: WBA home and Chelsea away

Would you take us being still 1 point behind them after the two fixtures?

Think we will be 2 points ahead of them

I'm hoping the PSG matches will take its toll and they draw to WBA and lose to Chelsea

I'm hoping the PSG matches will take its toll and they draw to WBA and lose to Chelsea

That would be even better. Think we will beat Spurs and we better put at least 3 past Villa. 4 points ahead after the next two games would be fantastic.

Quite like the dismissal of developing our young strikers in favour of another big money signing considering Spurs broke their club record on a supposed guaranteed goalscorer to then bring Kane through once he'd flopped spectacularly.

Think it's really unlikely we get Kane. Di Maria and Falcao are reasonable examples of us still being a draw without the context of the push factors of both players' clubs wanting rid of them. When's the last time we signed a big player from a team around the same or a higher level than us, who wanted to keep that player? Calling Real an irrelevance, particularly in the context of Ronaldo, is laughable. Even the money aspect falls down since the TV cash plus CL money should give Spurs enough clout to keep him on, particularly with the leverage of the on-field success. If Kane('s agent)'s got half a clue he'd negotiate a new 'CL-player' contract which would then put him at a stronger starting point if he wanted to leave next year.

Only slim chance I reckon we'd have would be if the stadium move means Levy can't or won't be able to offer him a good enough package to keep him or actively seeks to cash in on him now, and even then with other interested parties likely I don't think Woodward's a canny enough operator to seal the deal. Getting a competent manager in could make a difference I suppose, depending on who it was.

1) RvP

2) European irrelevance, comprehension is hard ik.

3) We'll still be paying higher wages than Spurs, financial juggernaut and all that.

That would be even better. Think we will beat Spurs and we better put at least 3 past Villa. 4 points ahead after the next two games would be fantastic.

Very unlikely we beat Spurs though. They are much stronger and are at home.

A repeat of the 5-3 would be fun. Everybody losing their **** at HT :D

United next 2 matches: Spurs away and Villa Home

City's next 2 matches: WBA home and Chelsea away

Would you take us being still 1 point behind them after the two fixtures?

wrong

its spurs away, west ham away in cup replay and THEN villa home.... :p

No way was that worth quoting Sid. He's stupid enough without deliberately misconstruing what he said.

true but saying afterwards that PSG games will effect city without bothering to mention our cup replay .... :p

Pretty sure he just meant the league games. We could hammer WH 10-0 and it would getting us closer to city, which is what he was talking about.

I'm all for pointing and laughing at Sids nonsense but this wasn't one of those times.

true but saying afterwards that PSG games will effect city without bothering to mention our cup replay .... :p

yes but they have two games against PSG, we have one against West Ham.

Sad but doesn't surprise me in the least.

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reports that Louis van Gaal will remain as Manchester United boss next season - and will be given £80m to spend in the summer, most of it to be used on a striker.

:(

**** me. Maybe we can all chip in and hire another plane?

Don't want too much of a battering for city as i want them to be still in the tie come the 2nd leg so they still put out their strongest team for 2nd leg. 2-0 to Psg would be fine along with a couple of city injuries.

1) RvP

2) European irrelevance, comprehension is hard ik.

3) We'll still be paying higher wages than Spurs, financial juggernaut and all that.

1) No trophies in seven years versus us having won four of the last six titles and finishing 19 points clear of them is the same or higher level? Never mind the context of their hand being forced by RvP being in the last year of his contract.

2) Which had what bearing on Ronaldo? It's really not that hard, despite your endless demonstrations to the contrary.

3) We'd have the capacity to pay him higher wages, but would we go all out for him, and if we did would the difference between what we and Spurs would be willing to offer be sufficient to overcome the non-financial factors? I don't see it happening.

1) Competing against title winners from the previous season City for him.

2) the bit where he has to play with them and decided prestige meant more than immediate chance of trophies.

3) Thanks for your input on the matter.

No worries pal, know where I am if you ever need any tips :thup:

The second you let me know what subject you're knowledgeable on I'll be sure to take you up on that : passiveaggressivethumbsup:

Take your pick; though common sense and basic comprehension would probably be the best places to start. Give me a bit of notice though won't you? I'm a busy boy and you'll take an awful lot of work.

Really? You hide it so well... I never had you down as the modest type.

I must admit this new "handbags at dawn" style you've adopted is rather entertaining though.

BBC gossip reckons we've been offered the chance to sign Ronaldo in the summer for £48.2 million.

If it's remotely true or even likely that's a bargain.

Yeah. He has at least 2-3seasons at the highest level, and if he managed his fitness as well as I expect he can, could see 4-5 more years out of him.

At which point, throw in the commercial revenue someone such as Ronaldo would bring in and it practically pays for itself.

BBC gossip reckons we've been offered the chance to sign Ronaldo in the summer for £48.2 million.

If it's remotely true or even likely that's a bargain.

Hardly. Real wouldn't be selling at that price if it was that much of a bargain.

Tbh you'd be better off putting that towards a younger player. Draxler?

Imagine the lift it would give the youngsters - effect similar to Cantona? Yes to Ronaldo please.

Of course I would take him, but where would he play? Striker or RW?