Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah Schweinsteiger was ridiculously cheap, well worth buying.

Isn't he on something like £12m a year for 5 years? A low fee doesn't mean he was cheap.

Not to mention he looked like a very good fit for certain types of games at the start of the season. Since then season went to **** and we don't really get those types of games anymore due to being utterly awful :D
Yeah, not being able to rely on other players doing all the running for him has been unfortunate, I think LvG expected to have him sit in the pocket & ping passes all over the park.

That's why I asked, I couldn't recall if it was a 3 or 5 year deal or the yearly value so I was basing it on memory.

Still worth the gamble at that IMO.
A club like Utd shouldn't be making gambles on ageing players, if you're going to gamble it has to be on the next generation not the soon to be retiring generation & let's be honest the money probably isn't all that relevant (cheap, bang on or expensive).

What matters is whether the player has justified their place in the squad & on that measure I can't see how he has been anything other than a flop & one that maybe should have been foreseen, obviously hindsight is wonderfully clear.

Don't forget Andy Goram.

Edit: TBH I'm struggling to recall how any of those three got on at Utd, I seem to remember Blanc starting okay but then tailing off near the ed but iirc he was proper old by them & Larsson looking neat & tidy but with the cutting edge having been dulled with age.

The fact Bastien had been unable to complete a full Bundesliga campaign for the last couple of seasons should have been a clear notice to the club that he might not have been physical up for the challenges of a Premier League campaign.

For all I know he's been a legend in training & has helped develop the next generation of players in the development squads.

Bad news, but I don't have a problem with signing the guy. He was cheap, and isn't exactly crap. But we have a few guys on the old side now, and I'm not too keen on getting Ibrahimovic too, like some rumour suggests. Still good ofc, but won't stay that way very long, and could easily turn into another Schweinsteiger situation, where we get him a season too late.

Don't forget Andy Goram.

Edit: TBH I'm struggling to recall how any of those three got on at Utd, I seem to remember Blanc starting okay but then tailing off near the ed but iirc he was proper old by them & Larsson looking neat & tidy but with the cutting edge having been dulled with age.

The fact Bastien had been unable to complete a full Bundesliga campaign for the last couple of seasons should have been a clear notice to the club that he might not have been physical up for the challenges of a Premier League campaign.

For all I know he's been a legend in training & has helped develop the next generation of players in the development squads.

Didn't Fergie and the team practically beg Larsson to stay longer but he'd made a promise to Helsingborg so left?

Fergie was always correct on player assessment? iirc much of that was because Larsson is a top bloke, was a highly professional footballer dedicated to working hard & staying in the best physical shape possible, ideal person to have around as a backup.

Don't know about begging, but United definitely wanted Larsson to prolong his stay, but he had made a promise and stayed true to that. He was great for us btw, so was definitely not dulled by age or anything like that. Don't recall too much about Blanc tbh, but he was really old then, and slow as a snail, but still decent enough. Larsson was proper good though. No wonder he scored for fun in Scotland.

My recollection of the mid to late '00s is somewhat hazy, Per-Stian. I was having for too much of a good time thanks to be very much overpaid & unaware of the real pitfalls that came with tapping out the likes of uncle Barclaycard. As a consequence most of my football watching at that time was done while quite intoxicated.

Fergie was always correct on player assessment? iirc much of that was because Larsson is a top bloke, was a highly professional footballer dedicated to working hard & staying in the best physical shape possible, ideal person to have around as a backup.

he was in FM world;) my go to buy he was immense always got the goals

I heard SAF when asked about who he regretted not signing it was Larsson when he was younger, so I take it from that he had the option but didn't go for it

it was interesting in the same conversation on players he missed out on he had the likes of ZZ etc but he stated the one player he wanted and had no chance of getting was.............Tony Adams

It was worth signing Schweinsteiger just for the training pitch & dressing room. Not everyday you get to sign a world cup winning captain for what is essentially a pittance.

Lahm was captain but yeah I imagine his presence is immense.

Crap news about Schweinsteiger, another man down. Said after the City game the international break has come at the right time to hopefully have a few back from injury for the Everton game, but you just watch us get 3/4 players injured now on int duty as well.

Genuinely can't wait for this horrorshow of a season to end, but I'll still watch every game regardless, no matter how depressing watching us is atm. Pretty amazing that, yet again, we find ourselves 5 points off third, never mind being 1 off 4th, but with our next two games being Everton (H) and Spurs (A) I'll be pleasantly surprised if we encroach on the top 4 by the end of the latter match.

Spurs winning the title would make poch an actual viable option as our next manager

Nah, winning the league because 3 teams better than you have terrible seasons doesn't mean he is good enough.

Maybe if he wins a couple more over the next 5 years then he could be considered.

Looks like the U18s are going to be a small group again next year, only 6 of the U16s were offered scholarships- Angel Gomes, Aidy Barlow, Max Dunne, Harry Spratt, George Tanner and Jake Barrett. We've already agreed deals for Luca Ercolani, Tahith Chong, Nishan Burkhart and Lee O'Connor which should boost the numbers up a bit but we're in dire need of another goalkeeper. Matt Campbell joined Blackburn and Ollie Byrne isn't getting a pro contract so can't do a Dorrington and play down a year. Need another striker too. Gribbin and Williams will be playing U21s next year so that doesn't leave us with much:

Sebtaoui

Warren

Sang

Whelan

Buffonge

Hamilton

Makela

Boonen

Kenyon

Dearnley

Diedrick-Roberts

Angel Gomes scored another wonder goal for England U16s too - https://www.instagram.com/p/BDd8PJ1pfDB/?taken-by=angelgomess10

Going to be some player in a few years. There was an interview with Clayton Blackmore who coached him and he reckoned he was ready for the first team already. Little bit OTT at the minute I think but it wouldn't surprise me if he became our youngest ever player.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/2838728/manchester-united-consider-expanding-old-trafford-capacity

Ferguson was so impressed by how the new structures linked up the Stretford and Scoreboard Ends that he suggested the roof of the main stand should also be raised to match the rest of the stadium. The then-manager also joked that journalists could be strung from its top.

Dooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :lol:

Looks like the U18s are going to be a small group again next year, only 6 of the U16s were offered scholarships- Angel Gomes, Aidy Barlow, Max Dunne, Harry Spratt, George Tanner and Jake Barrett. We've already agreed deals for Luca Ercolani, Tahith Chong, Nishan Burkhart and Lee O'Connor which should boost the numbers up a bit but we're in dire need of another goalkeeper. Matt Campbell joined Blackburn and Ollie Byrne isn't getting a pro contract so can't do a Dorrington and play down a year. Need another striker too. Gribbin and Williams will be playing U21s next year so that doesn't leave us with much:

Sebtaoui

Warren

Sang

Whelan

Buffonge

Hamilton

Makela

Boonen

Kenyon

Dearnley

Diedrick-Roberts

Angel Gomes scored another wonder goal for England U16s too - https://www.instagram.com/p/BDd8PJ1pfDB/?taken-by=angelgomess10

Going to be some player in a few years. There was an interview with Clayton Blackmore who coached him and he reckoned he was ready for the first team already. Little bit OTT at the minute I think but it wouldn't surprise me if he became our youngest ever player.

from what I have read recently it sounds like Gomes is the best prospect we have had for many years, lets hope it pans out

think Duncan Edwards has the record Utd debut at 16 and a half, and Macheda is the youngest in Prem era for us

reading that shaw is on course for a return before the end of the season that would be a bonus, didn't see him having a sniff of any game time this season

That'll make him more likely to go to euros which would be fine if he were fully fit but I'd say it would be better for him not to go and rest instead.

Shaw back in training on Monday :thup:

Thats amazing. Wonder how many games he'll play before the end of the season. We looked so much more balanced with him in the team.

I feel dirty, but I will be cheering Liverpool on today as a member of of 'Leicester for the league' club.

Also, would mean that we were 11 points off second with 2 games in hand...

Seriously, though, although it would put Liverpool 3 pts behind us I am more interested in Leicester winning the league at this stage of our season and a Spurs loss would mean they have a 5 pt lead with a game in hand.

Good result for us today with West Ham dropping 2 points, though City and Arsenal both winning - and in some style - was a bit of a downer.

Definitely hoping Liverpool lose today. The thing is I don't mind Spurs being in the title race as really don't want Arsenal to win if Leicester slip up.

City was always going to win today, they always beat the **** teams.

Manchester United XI vs. Everton: De Gea, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Rojo, Schneiderlin, Carrick, Lingard, Mata, Martial, Rashford.

Bench is finally starting to look like we have options \o/

Depay, Elbows, Fosu-Mensah, Herrera, Valencia, Young, Romero

Think we actually played well that half. Just didn't hit the target from the chances we created. And considering our front three are just out of nappies its to be expected.

Archived