Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

I'd have rooney has player/manager if it means getting rid of LVG. Bring in Sherwood, Rodgers, pick a homeless guy off the street, whoever. Anyone will do for now until end of season. Cos right now we are not playing football, it is more entertaining to sit an watch an empty pitch than watch united under LVG.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why the hell would Mourinho need to change? The guy is a class act who just had half a bad season on the back of winning titles everywhere he has gone. We are in the position of currently having an inept bellend as manager, if anything it should be us begging.

his coaching isnt the issue its the circus that surrounds him and he constantly feeds by seeking the limelight all the time, if it wasnt for that he would have had the job from the outset no doubt about it

Watching PSG highlights today. Anyone else see what we sent packing?

Really want to know what drove ADM out. Was it break in? Or was it ultimately the style? If the latter, I will be sick. So maybe I don't want to know.

It certainly had nothing to do with the break in. It was cos LVG was sucking the life out of him, think about how he played to start with and LVG's training and playing methods made him sick so credit to him for standing in what he believes in and left.

Watching PSG highlights today. Anyone else see what we sent packing?

Really want to know what drove ADM out. Was it break in? Or was it ultimately the style? If the latter, I will be sick. So maybe I don't want to know.

I mean it was obviously that he never really wanted to be here and within 6 months of being here his family was traumatized, combined with the club he actually wanted to join in the city he actually wanted to live in still being interested. We could have won the league by 25 points and he wouldn't have stayed.

Moyes has the 3rd best win %. :lol:

History will be kinder to Moyes as we get through quite a few shockers on the way to recovery.

A question of context really. Moyes took a team with a 66% win rate and dropped it to 53%.

Not even close to true but thanks for trying

Yeah, if anything wands is bringing me around to the idea.

I mean it was obviously that he never really wanted to be here and within 6 months of being here his family was traumatized, combined with the club he actually wanted to join in the city he actually wanted to live in still being interested. We could have won the league by 25 points and he wouldn't have stayed.

I really hope that is true bc he looks sublime this year. Hard not to think about what could have been. Remember the last time we had an offensive player of that skill level that didn't play any defense? We found a way to cover for him.

I don't mind wether we play attacking, defensive or just parking the bus, 81 crosses or whatever. I just want us to play with an aim, right now the team plays with no aim, no attacking, no defending, nothing. It is totally pointless, it is not football, it is not sport. I don't know what to call it.

I thought it was funny when he said we could still win the league after a lucky 1-0 win last weekend. You have to get the players out of their own half to even dream about such a thing. :D

I suspect he will still be around by the Derby game on Friday. They have only won 4 of their last 10 games despite being high up in the Championship so we should really be having a go at them. If we go ultra defensive against them then it is only a matter of time before he goes because that kind of play is not sustainable.

A question of context really. Moyes took a team with a 66% win rate and dropped it to 53%.

How much of that was SAFs brilliance and how much was Moyes incompetence. LVG spent a truckload to do worse despite having the right CV and Mourinho saw his team that was champions tumble down to relegation battlers without any negative change in playing or coaching staff. Declines can happen to anyone.....

SAF had great ability to pull more out of the team but he also had a team that was falling off a cliff which was why he bolted as he knew that was the last hurrah for that team and he was not ready to build yet another one. He also had a dominant way with officials, no surprise that we are no longer getting those contentious decisions that were worth anything up to 10 points a season. When last has someone come in here complaining about us getting refereeing decisions?

We are now a normal club which means you can spend £250m and miss out on Europe. Only difference between us and the other big teams is the slowly eroding legacy of our name.....Arsenal, City, Chelsea can match us for spending, Liverpool and Spurs not too far behind plus with their lower debt, rising earnings, new stadium capacities and exciting managers the gap will close even more.

History will show it was more how great SAF was and less how mediocre the others were.

How much of that was SAFs brilliance and how much was Moyes incompetence. LVG spent a truckload to do worse despite having the right CV and Mourinho saw his team that was champions tumble down to relegation battlers without any negative change in playing or coaching staff. Declines can happen to anyone.....

SAF had great ability to pull more out of the team but he also had a team that was falling off a cliff which was why he bolted as he knew that was the last hurrah for that team and he was not ready to build yet another one. He also had a dominant way with officials, no surprise that we are no longer getting those contentious decisions that were worth anything up to 10 points a season. When last has someone come in here complaining about us getting refereeing decisions?

We are now a normal club which means you can spend £250m and miss out on Europe. Only difference between us and the other big teams is the slowly eroding legacy of our name.....Arsenal, City, Chelsea can match us for spending, Liverpool and Spurs not too far behind plus with their lower debt, rising earnings, new stadium capacities and exciting managers the gap will close even more.

History will show it was more how great SAF was and less how mediocre the others were.

Agreed but Moyes was totally clueless and the retrospective love-in of him is hilarious. 87 crosses against Fulham anyone?

Agreed but Moyes was totally clueless and the retrospective love-in of him is hilarious. 87 crosses against Fulham anyone?

It is not a love-in at all and he was not great for us but he was better than Van Gaal and I would take the 81 crosses v Fulham versus this any day.

We had over 20 shots that day, 9 or more on target, scored twice, had 65% possession. It was also a more entertaining 2-2 than yesterday's snorefest defeat.

I raise the Moyes discussion because we will need to start benchmarking our managers on the post SAF era as we are NEVER bringing back what he had so let's get used to it.

The next guy will be benchmarked against Moyes and LVG and when he is messing up, people will mention how under LVG we at least never got our backsides handed to us etc etc.

Getting rid of LVG and installing Giggs wouldn't be a bad thing for United I reckon. The current brand of football is as bad as it gets.

Slightly off topic, but I love how you lot manage to ignore Sid with his crap opinions. KUTGW!

It's seen as "crap" opinions as I look to the future whereas many just look at the present. I've been wanting LVG out since last May where I got criticised by all the LVG lovers who thought he was doing a good job. Where are they now? Either gone or changed opinion.

I guarantee you that Mourinho is the best possible choice as manager right now, moreso than Pep.

I think a lot of United fans - like me - are unhappy because we can't see what LVG is actually trying to do. I could take mixed-to-poor results if I could see that there was some kind of end game the manager was trying to achieve. But for all his talk of philosophy, I can't work out what it is. I was so dispirited after the game I wrote a piece which (hopefully) explains my and a lot of other fans' feelings on this. I hate to advocate sacking a manager, but I can't see any way Van Gaal is going to improve this team.

http://whatculture.com/sport/5-reasons-why-man-utd-must-sack-louis-van-gaal.php

LVG's philosophy = pass, pass, pass and keep the ball with no intent to score. Bore the fans and opposition team to sleep. No attempt to attack, no attempt to defend, no attempt to shoot. Hopefully bore the opposition team to sleep so we can fluke a goal in the end but more often is our players are asleep and opposition team score.

To think people used to criticise parking the bus style. Parking the bus is a beautiful art form of football compared to LVG's turgid style.

If you did you'd probably still be in the same position you are in now.... looking for a new manager.

yeah, but we would have at least one more league title and better squad than we do now.

Or Jose finally acts long term and its a great fit.

When you think where we are now.....not won anything, squad in disarray and needing an overhaul. The last 2 are exactly the reasons we did not want Mourinho but like some have said, we would have won a title so in hindsight we should have given it to him after SAF.

Right now though, I am not sure we have the stomach for another quick 18-24 month adrenalin shot, many people take the "it would be alright to have chaos if a title preceded that chaos" but tbh I am more concerned about stability because I am not convinced that our current model is sustainable. If we sack LVG, we either get a great builder who will stay 2 or 3 years but build during that time or a cheap quick fix neither of which is Jose

Not in hindsight, anyone who understands the game knew mourinho was the right man to take over from sir Alex, long term or short term you need a man with ability. Who gives a **** about his antics off the field? I care about winning. I gave up my season ticket as soon as moyes was announced as manager but still willing to go to some games but since end of last season I wouldn't even go if I got paid to.

We don't get contentious decisions because we don't attack as much. When you spend the bulk of time in the opposition box you're going to get more dodgy decisions going your way than not. It had nothing to do with Fergie ffs. I sometimes think when SAF left he took a few posters sanity with him.

When you think where we are now.....not won anything, squad in disarray and needing an overhaul. The last 2 are exactly the reasons we did not want Mourinho but like some have said, we would have won a title so in hindsight we should have given it to him after SAF.

Right now though, I am not sure we have the stomach for another quick 18-24 month adrenalin shot, many people take the "it would be alright to have chaos if a title preceded that chaos" but tbh I am more concerned about stability because I am not convinced that our current model is sustainable. If we sack LVG, we either get a great builder who will stay 2 or 3 years but build during that time or a cheap quick fix neither of which is Jose

Isn't that exactly what LVG was supposed to be? :(

We don't get contentious decisions because we don't attack as much. When you spend the bulk of time in the opposition box you're going to get more dodgy decisions going your way than not. It had nothing to do with Fergie ffs. I sometimes think when SAF left he took a few posters sanity with him.

So I assume that City should have bucket loads of decisions going there way?

Also you assume that I mean penalties but i said decisions going our way, that includes fouls and decisions against us (Those stonewall penalties or Johnny Evans last man red cards...3 in one season he avoided)!! Also lets not kid ourselves that we were this overly attacking side in SAFs last 3 or 4 seasons just because LVG is the ultimate bore. The fact he constantly turned to striker overload does not mean we were actually turning the on-field personnel into continuous attacking action. We got an above average amount of decisions in our favour during the SAF years especially 50-50s, whether it was the man himself, the aura of his team or the mindset of the officials is not certain, but what is certain is that it left when he did.

Engaging you is so much fun Dion, counting how may posts you make without an insult helps pass the time. :lol:

Isn't that exactly what LVG was supposed to be? :(

He was...:(

That is why hindsight says we should have gone with Mourinho. Right now though, we have a full rebuild and probably two seasons of transition and will Mourinho want that? I am sure he would love the challenge and to prove the UK press wrong but it still feels we are getting him at the point when he has just turned into damaged goods.

If we pull the trigger, we should go with a caretaker till the summer....I am sure we have enough to avoid any major mishaps like relegation...or the Europa League. :D

Just for the record Liverpool have had the most penalties awarded to them in PL history.

So the talk of bias towards United was vastly overplayed.

Was not focussing on penalties, it was Dion that made that interpretation but lets look at that...stats can say a lot.

Pens for and Against in the last 12 seasons (Since Roman arrived at Chelsea)

United - 76 - 34 = +42

Liverpool - 80 - 50 = +30

Arsenal - 72 - 53 = +19

Chelsea - 78 - 40 = +38

City - 71 - 47 = +24

Tottenham - 57 - 59 = -2

As for your stat about Liverpool, they have had 11 more penalties but also conceded 30 more than we have in PL history. Our decisions have come more in our box than the opposition and the stats show that which puts to bed the whole "Gotta attack to get decisions" chatter from our beloved poster ;)

Lets not start with the harder to measure things like cards, we had an aura that won us points beyond just the football.

Victor Valdes loan to Standard Liege confirmed. Will be there for the rest of the season, once his United contract expires he'll probably sign a permanent deal there or move on to another club. He's essentially Winston Bogarde'd the past year though.

Oh and David Gill's come out and said that United have massively underachieved this season, implying that if he was still at the club LvG would be gone by now.

It's hard not to get angry with the fact that United are deliberately being destroyed by the owners and board since their main priority is finances off the field and success on the field is secondary by quite a distance.

Anyway, any team that turns down Mourinho for Moyes and LVG deserves absolutely nothing.

Or Jose finally acts long term and its a great fit.

:lol: Quite. Snow is hot and all that.

He was supposed to act long term now in Chelsea, and look how well that turned out, battling relegation when he was canned.

Things have been very poor this season under LVG, but I'm also very concerned about longterm issues, primarily the academy. Put Mourinho in charge and we may as well close down the doors there as the path to the first team would be blocked. Say what you will about LVG, and there is lots of criticism to go around, but he gives youths a chance. I'd like to see Pereira get more chances, but it is more difficult at the heart of the team to be honest. Even a surreal talent like Scholes had to wait his time, in an era when it was easier for youths to break through.

A broken record, I know, but I don't want Mourinho anywhere near the club. He's a freakshow and egocentric maniac, and might argue for a change to Mounchester United.

Oh and David Gill's come out and said that United have massively underachieved this season, implying that if he was still at the club LvG would be gone by now.

He was asked a zillion questions and probably tried to not say a lot, only the painfully obvious. He's hardly called a press conference to inform us of his opinion on LVG or the team's performances. The media managed to get a headline out of it though, so there is that.

So I assume that City should have bucket loads of decisions going there way?

Also you assume that I mean penalties but i said decisions going our way, that includes fouls and decisions against us (Those stonewall penalties or Johnny Evans last man red cards...3 in one season he avoided)!! Also lets not kid ourselves that we were this overly attacking side in SAFs last 3 or 4 seasons just because LVG is the ultimate bore. The fact he constantly turned to striker overload does not mean we were actually turning the on-field personnel into continuous attacking action. We got an above average amount of decisions in our favour during the SAF years especially 50-50s, whether it was the man himself, the aura of his team or the mindset of the officials is not certain, but what is certain is that it left when he did.

Engaging you is so much fun Dion, counting how may posts you make without an insult helps pass the time. :lol:

Well when you're trying to suggest referees give decisions because of a manager you're going to get insulted, it's idiotic.

Was not focussing on penalties, it was Dion that made that interpretation but lets look at that...stats can say a lot.

Pens for and Against in the last 12 seasons (Since Roman arrived at Chelsea)

United - 76 - 34 = +42

Liverpool - 80 - 50 = +30

Arsenal - 72 - 53 = +19

Chelsea - 78 - 40 = +38

City - 71 - 47 = +24

Tottenham - 57 - 59 = -2

As for your stat about Liverpool, they have had 11 more penalties but also conceded 30 more than we have in PL history. Our decisions have come more in our box than the opposition and the stats show that which puts to bed the whole "Gotta attack to get decisions" chatter from our beloved poster ;)

Lets not start with the harder to measure things like cards, we had an aura that won us points beyond just the football.

Or we defend a lot less than Liverpool do.

You know, because we were really good. Just like the second best team of the last 12 years Chelsea. This is such a strange meltdown to watch, good teams get the most decisions going their way because they defend less and attack more than other teams and because referees have an expectation that the better team is more likely to have done the right thing. It's not some hoodoo SAF had over the referees governing body, we were just consistently the best for 2 decades.

I don't want Mourinho anywhere near the club. He's a freakshow and egocentric maniac, and might argue for a change to Mounchester United.

I've said similar things all along. He is undoubtedly a good manager (or was before the absolute capitulation of Chelsea this season) but he just isn't the sort of manager I want to see at United. He has very little class as a man and whilst he is entertaining and provides stories he just isn't someone I'd be the leats bit proud to have as our manager. I get that we are very unlikely to be fortunate enough to have another manager in our lifetime that lasts - and indeed wants to stay - at one club for such a prolonged period as Fergie did, but let's at least keep with the ethos of having a manager who isn't an utterly detestable, embarrassing dick.

And Pan's other point is another big worry, too. We are a club with an amazing youth setup and always have players who are capable at the very least of being a good squad player who have come through the system, and that could quickly evaporate with Mourinho, if his days at Chelsea are anything to go by. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if we were able to bring in some real top talent like Muller, Lewandowski, Bale etc... but Mourinho is the one guy who would focus entirely on those players and not the youths.

If we bring in Mourinho it really will be saddening for me.

Archived