Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Wasn't counting DDG, he is more the reason we are 6th and not 16th. Not the player who would take us to 1st. And thats only because he is a GK.

Arsenal have 2, Chelsea have 1 (who isn't right now) and City have 1. Silva, Toure etc are a level below Aguero.

Luckily Arsenal have some sort of squad mentality deficiency, and if they don;t win the league this year they never will. They should be 10 points clear.

We haven't got 1 out field player right now.

We have 3. Plus that bit about us potentially never winning the league again is hyperbolic nonsense.

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 3. Plus that bit about us potentially never winning the league again is hyperbolic nonsense.

Who's your third world class player who can turn a draw into a win? Who is on par with Aguero, Hazard and Sanchez? And after I've already said I'm not counting goalkeepers?

And I was more saying this is your best chance you will ever have to win the league. You better take it.

Who's your third world class player who can turn a draw into a win? Who is on par with Aguero, Hazard and Sanchez? And after I've already said I'm not counting goalkeepers?

And I was more saying this is your best chance you will ever have to win the league. You better take it.

They have Ozil, also I am not sure how you can rank Alexis next to Hazard and Aguero but say that Silva and Toure are not up there. Aguero is in a league of his own but when you allow Hazard and Alexis into his club, whatever criteria gets them in also gets Toure and Silva in. :)

Aguero gets knocked down to the level of Hazard and co. because he's not fit enough to turn as many losses/draws into victories.

In theory, the expensive Depay and Martial should be your two attacking talisman?

They have Ozil, also I am not sure how you can rank Alexis next to Hazard and Aguero but say that Silva and Toure are not up there. Aguero is in a league of his own but when you allow Hazard and Alexis into his club, whatever criteria gets them in also gets Toure and Silva in. :)

Sanchez is up there, and us having him would transform us just like Aguero would. I wouldn't class Ozil as the same but knew if I didn't we would get loads of Arsenal fans in here telling me otherwise :D

Don't rate Silva as high. Good player, and the stats tell you he is top notch but he isn't going to grab a game and say right I'm going to win this. Aguero, Sanchez and Hazard can all do this. Ozil is the very same, as is Mata. The stats tell you they are top players but match winners when things are going against you they aren't.

Toure can also, but then the games where he can't be bothered lower him imo.

So I counted Sanchez and Ozil as Arsenal 2 top players, and we aren't counting Cech. So I'm very interested to know who Arsenals third is.

Aguero gets knocked down to the level of Hazard and co. because he's not fit enough to turn as many losses/draws into victories.

In theory, the expensive Depay and Martial should be your two attacking talisman?

At 21 and 20 not they aren't. Far too much has been expected of them already.

And at £19m Depay wasn't that expensive. Martial was but if he continues to develop over the next few years it will look a bargain.

Sanchez is up there, and us having him would transform us just like Aguero would. I wouldn't class Ozil as the same but knew if I didn't we would get loads of Arsenal fans in here telling me otherwise :D

Don't rate Silva as high. Good player, and the stats tell you he is top notch but he isn't going to grab a game and say right I'm going to win this. Aguero, Sanchez and Hazard can all do this. Ozil is the very same, as is Mata. The stats tell you they are top players but match winners when things are going against you they aren't.

Toure can also, but then the games where he can't be bothered lower him imo.

So I counted Sanchez and Ozil as Arsenal 2 top players, and we aren't counting Cech. So I'm very interested to know who Arsenals third is.

Going by who posted it he is talking about Ramsey

World class footballers do not suit playing anti-football. Look at di Maria, he is class but couldn't fit LVG's anti-football style of play. Who knows how the likes of ozil will do under LVG?

Right now I don't think it is all about what players we bring in, it is the style of play. You really think our players are so bad they should get played off the park at home to Norwich?

Palace's next two games: Chelsea (H) and Aston Villa (A). Two easy games for them. Not even considering Chelsea's form this season, Palace have a very good recent track record against Chelsea, even effectively ruining their title charge in 2014 and I believe they won at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season. Aston Villa are a sinking ship.

How's that working out for Palace?

Excluding Cech we have two, but why would you exclude goalkeepers?

Because I was talking about the type of player we need. I'm not talking about saving points. or stopping draws from being defeats or wins from being draws.

A goalkeeper can't take a game by the scruff of the neck and turn a draw into a win, and thats the type of player we need.

We are trying to turn 0-0s and 0-1s into wins. The best GK whoever lived isn't going to do that.

U21s beat Spurs 3-1, James Weir and two from Andreas Pereira, including one direct from a corner. Will Keane missed a few chances from what I've read, but Ben Pearson looked excellent. He needs a Championship loan really now he's back from Barnsley, but it wouldn't surprise me if Van Gaal wanted a look at him in the first team.

What if he sold the backups because he thought the youth could step up?

SAF only played Becks and co because he had to sell 3 first teamers iirc

It's been a hit and miss approach, there have been a few decent ones (McNair, Pereira, Lingard and potentially CBJ) and yeah a couple of Tyler Blacketts but at least they're being given a chance to prove themselves and I reckon a few of them can lay claims to be first teamers in the future (CBJ could at least be the main backup for Shaw for a while - meaning he'll play a lot cos Shaw's injuries)

U21s beat Spurs 3-1, James Weir and two from Andreas Pereira, including one direct from a corner. Will Keane missed a few chances from what I've read, but Ben Pearson looked excellent. He needs a Championship loan really now he's back from Barnsley, but it wouldn't surprise me if Van Gaal wanted a look at him in the first team.

Just seen that it has been reported Pearson is going to Bournemouth permanently. A shame but not sure if he can step up personally. Always thought Rothwell had more in his game but he's really struggling. I like Harrop more than both.

Come on Pep, you know it makes sense.

I seriously think he wants the United job, if we don't offer it him or don't pay enough or whatever then we're even more incompetent than I thought we were.

Come on Pep, you know it makes sense.

I seriously think he wants the United job, if we don't offer it him or don't pay enough or whatever then we're even more incompetent than I thought we were.

This. If we offer him everything we can within reason and he says no, then fair enough. If we fail to do that, then that's utterly unacceptable

This. If we offer him everything we can within reason and he says no, then fair enough. If we fail to do that, then that's utterly unacceptable

I think Phil McNulty said something mad along the lines of "United might choose to not go for Pep, just in case he joins City and they end up with egg on their face".

A very young U19s side are playing in a 6-a-side tournament in Germany at the minute: http://mercedes-benz-junior-cup.de/de/popup/live-stream.html (all of the tournament games are being shown on that link)

Our next match is against Schalke and on now. We've lost 2-1 to Hoffenheim (Angel Gomes) and drawn 1-1 with Brugge (Callum Gribbin) so far. Squad:

1 George Dorrington

2 Tyrell Warren

3 Jake Kenyon

4 Callum Whelan

5 Thomas Sang

6 Faustin Makela

7 Indy Boonen

8 Joshua Doughty

9 Kanye Diedrick-Roberts

10 Callum Gribbin

11 Angel Gomes

13 Oliver Byrne

Only Doughty is ineligible for the U18s.

Looks like a very young squad, which is how we've done it for many years now, to get them to play against older players. Any idea if the other teams in the tournament are fairly young too?

Not too impressive results so far, but that's not the main thing at that level. It's all about development.

It definitely shows, the rest of the teams look far ahead physically and mentally. The rest of the teams appear to be much older. Just lost 6-2 to Rapid Vienna who were a level above. Gribbin has been really poor, constantly giving the ball away, although he did score a great solo goal just now and neither Dorrington or Byrne have done that well in goal. Angel Gomes and Callum Whelan have been our best players.

Would be great if Pep continued the 'trend' of going where LVG has been, but he also likes to go to ready-made teams, and we're hardly that right now. Unfortunately I think he's going to City, and with the limitless resources there and with FFP not worth the paper it's written on, we could have some rough years ahead.

No matter what team he goes to in England, he won't find the going quite as easy as in the past though. Teams are more equal there, and now even the midtable and lower teams have the means to buy quality players, so I doubt he'll rake up practically all trophies.

Bit tragic that we've evolved from not only being a tool for players to increase their wages, but managers too.

Would be great if Pep continued the 'trend' of going where LVG has been, but he also likes to go to ready-made teams, and we're hardly that right now. Unfortunately I think he's going to City, and with the limitless resources there and with FFP not worth the paper it's written on, we could have some rough years ahead.

No matter what team he goes to in England, he won't find the going quite as easy as in the past though. Teams are more equal there, and now even the midtable and lower teams have the means to buy quality players, so I doubt he'll rake up practically all trophies.

Bit tragic that we've evolved from not only being a tool for players to increase their wages, but managers too.

couldnt agree more with a post, says exactly what I feel too....the sad thing is the people running the club seem to be happy as long as the club is raking in the money(and at the end of the day cutting away all the bull thats what most clubs are now)

the only good thing I have see Utd related for a long time has come from the CEO at adidas( I know its a bit of the tail wagging the dog...ie sponsors should have no say in how a club is run etc) regarding the playing style that will have an effect as the powers at be wont want the sponsors being unhappy, and NB that deal was subject to certain conditions namely UCL etc etc

from your post re pep I agree sadly it wont be him and I am very afraid it will be giggs no matter what....

Januzaj has been recalled, wonder how much of a chance he'll get this time around

Most interesting. Didn't know he even could be recalled, sounded like it was up to Dortmund (as strange as that is if it was a 'normal' loan deal). Barely got a kick in Dortmund lately, so the right move, and I hope he gets chances and does well now. The talent is there.

Think it is up to Dortmund to cancel it but we can ask them. And it isn't like he is having an impact. They must have been happy to do so.

Hopefully he can feature for us. He can't play for another club this season now can he?

They've got a lot better quality in the areas he plays than we have so its understandable he hasn't played, why he chose to go there I don't know. I think he can still contribute here now.

Think it is up to Dortmund to cancel it but we can ask them. And it isn't like he is having an impact. They must have been happy to do so.

Hopefully he can feature for us. He can't play for another club this season now can he?

No he can't because he's played for us and Dortmund. We reached an agreement with Dortmund to cancel it due to lack of game time.

looking forward to Januzaj stepping up to the plate he needs to kick on now with current squad the door is open for a starting berth for him...if he puts the effort in

been lucky enough to see all of Dortmund's games this year he wouldn't get a sniff there(last 10-20 mins as sub) says it all really he can walk into first XI for us:brock: