Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Newcastle United Thread 15/16 - Come watch us somehow screw up Rafa

There is also apparently ongoing talks between Newcastle and Marseille over Thauvin too.

Kevin Keegan doing pundit work on beIN Sports and mentioned as an aside during Croatia game that he wanted to sign Modric when he was at Newcastle but 'the people handling transfers for me said he was too weak for the English game'

Thought I'd lob that one out there for you to volley into the ineptitude net

The ineptitude net is bulging.....

Kevin Keegan doing pundit work on beIN Sports and mentioned as an aside during Croatia game that he wanted to sign Modric when he was at Newcastle but 'the people handling transfers for me said he was too weak for the English game'

The lad wanted to come and it was more-or-less done and dusted. An ex Chelsea steward who was advising Ashley at the time, Tony Jiminez pulled the plug on the deal. Sammi Hypia was also lined up from Liverpool, only for Derek Llambias to cancel it at the last moment too.

It's in Allardyce's autobiography that he tried to buy Modric but Ashley pulled the plug when he realised how much debt the club were in.

Keegan explains the Hypia and Modric deals here. From 1 min 35 secs

Both players would have been absolutely legendary signings for the club as not only are they top players but they are exactly what we needed at that time.

Palace showing an interest in Shelvey, by all accounts.

Fingers crossed he goes there

Without jinxing anything that's a nice opening month, hopefully we can hit the ground running before what is a very difficult September. At least we'll have a settled squad that's here to stay when those games come and we'll be able to see if we're the real deal or it's going to be a flop season.

Can't believe both games against Norwich are midweek for both sets of fans :D Absolute trek! Works out ok for me as I'm only an hour away from Norwich.

Where are you pearcey Ipswich?

I'm in Norwich and shall be taking the missus out for a lovely valentines night when we play Norwich at Carrow Road on Feb 14th :D

Looking at potential away trips to Barnsley in Oct and Blackburn on Jan 2nd. :)

Where are you pearcey Ipswich?

I'm in Norwich and shall be taking the missus out for a lovely valentines night when we play Norwich at Carrow Road on Feb 14th :D

East side of Peterborough.

I'll be going to as many away games as possible. Only advantage for being in Championship for me is there's more Midlands sides and that area rather north so easier to get too and cheaper :)

Blackburn away is in the diary. Always a great day out.

2 home games over xmas is a :thup: from me.

March looks a tough month.

Rafa about transfers:

"But we have three or four things ready. It's just we have to start with the first one and then two or three."

"When I say ready, it's really, really nearly there, but we are waiting for someone who is working at another club and he needs to come back and sign the documents."

Dwight Gayle seems to be one of those players. Rumours over the weekend that Newcastle are stepping up the chase while Palace are after Benteke (bit ambitious)

You're after a handful of Chelsea youngsters, some permanent, some loan interest. No real idea on how likely any of them are but there's genuine interest there/contact made at the very least.

Also been linked with Matt Ritchie from Bournemouth, Grant Hanley from Blackburn - Tim Krul being linked with a move to Everton and Perez being linked with a move away too.

Hanley had promise once, but I have no idea how he's developed.

I won't hold grudges for Krul and Perez leaving.

You're after a handful of Chelsea youngsters, some permanent, some loan interest. No real idea on how likely any of them are but there's genuine interest there/contact made at the very least.

Permanent signings would be good. Not too sure how I feel with being involved with too many constantly loaned out youngsters though, maybe 1 would be nice. Some of them young players look good though, Bertrand Traore I like, Chalobah could be great, Bamford perhaps another. Lewis Baker could perhaps do a job for us. Would be interesting to see which ones we could attract.

Baker was one of them, he opted to go back to Vitesse for a second season instead though.

Ahh, bummer. Don't blame him. He made over 30 appearances last season for Vitesse last season, though they only managed to finish mid-table. Maybe he is hoping he can help them improve on a pretty average mid-table finish from last season.

Any plans for anyone to start a new thread for next season? Thought the fixture list would trigger a new one.

Can't wait for the visit to my hometown Barnsley in October. What do you think my chances are of getting in the away end? Usually members only with loyalty points?

Also been linked with Matt Ritchie from Bournemouth, Grant Hanley from Blackburn - Tim Krul being linked with a move to Everton and Perez being linked with a move away too.

Everton are being linked with just about every available keeper under the sun right now. Krul, Mandanda, Begovic are three I've seen in the past week alone.

Signing goalkeeper Matz Sels from Genk

From Champions League to Championship

Belgian media claim Middlesbrough also made an offer

Fully expected Krul to be on his way but honestly thought that the No1 spot would be between Elliot and Darlow. Maybe Elliot on his way too or Darlow being loaned out for the season?

Elliott is supposedly injured for a while yet and Woodman is going to be loaned out.

Krul is just coming back from a long injury and might yet leave, so the club understandably don't want to pin all of their hopes on Darlow.

Think Krul should move on with Darlow fighting Sels to be number 1 (assuming Sels can adapt to English football).

Hope wherever Krul does end up he has a great career mind as has always served us well. Elliott had his time in the sun last season but would probably allow him to leave with Woodman third choice/out on loan.

Palace being mentioned again with regards to Andros Townsend.

We've been linked with a move on loan for Joe Gomez of Liverpool. Would be a good signing if he can get fit.

Sevilla are getting Ben Arfa on a free. Should be interesting.

Rumours are that Saints might be trying to hijack that deal

Good job we gave him away for free :thup:

Wonder if Michael Foster thinks he's still overrated and we were right to get rid

Rumours are that Saints might be trying to hijack that deal

Hopefully they do, they play Palace, he scores a hat trick and takes a **** in front of Pardew.

F*cking Pardew binning him on a free. Of all the things he did, that's the worst.

Any plans for anyone to start a new thread for next season? Thought the fixture list would trigger a new one.

Can't wait for the visit to my hometown Barnsley in October. What do you think my chances are of getting in the away end? Usually members only with loyalty points?

Was waiting for someone else but nobody wants to do it so done.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/460340-Newcastle-United-Thread-2016-17

Can this one be closed now?