Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Newcastle United Thread 15/16 - Come watch us somehow screw up Rafa

If Benitez goes, you could do a lot worse than Martinez now he's free.

Or Frank de Boer from Ajax..... He just stepped down after losing out to PSV on the final day of the season. Not too sure if he would take a stepdown to Championship, but he might for Newcastle. Also his reputation isn't as good as it once was, after poor performances in Europe and in the league over the last 2 seasons.... But do we really want a manager who also has now championship experience.... Suppose there is always Nigel Adkins knocking around on a free...

No chance of De Boer

Surely Nigel Pearson would be a fantastic appointment. I would argue he'd be better than Rafa in the championship but I think I would be shot down :D

It's all moot until we know what's happening with Benitez. If he goes, I dread to think given Ashley's history of left-field appointments. In all likelyhood, any new manager is going to be walking into a civil war, between the club and the fan base. Who would be stupid enough to want that?

No chance of De Boer

Surely Nigel Pearson would be a fantastic appointment. I would argue he'd be better than Rafa in the championship but I think I would be shot down :D

Stranger things have happened in football, like Kinnear ;) Pearson is not a bad shout, had also crossed my mind.

Wasn't Pearson sacked by us before for some shady dealings?

I was thinking back to our last Championship campaign at some of the players that we brought in that season - Khizanishvili, Fitz Hall, Danny Simpson, van Aarnholt, Fabrice Pancrate, Marlon Harewood! Good times ahead.

From .com;

Latest:

Talks reported

Following formal confirmation of relegation, Thursday saw club CEO Lee Charnley meet with Rafa Benitez to discuss the possibility of him continuing as manager next season in the Championship.

If nothing else, news that the pair have met face to face can be viewed as a positive sign that United intend to retain the Spaniard's services - and he in turn is prepared to enter dialogue about doing so.

and

Follow

Guillem BalagueVerified account

‏@GuillemBalague Guillem Balague Retweeted Chris Scott

If I was a @NUFC fan and crossed paths with him, I would tell him I want him to stay. He's seriously considering it

Wasn't Pearson sacked by us before for some shady dealings?

I was thinking back to our last Championship campaign at some of the players that we brought in that season - Khizanishvili, Fitz Hall, Danny Simpson, van Aarnholt, Fabrice Pancrate, Marlon Harewood! Good times ahead.

Forgot all about Harewood :D

In fairness they were all proper short term signings to give squad experience some depth/experience when the games started to come thick and fast. Expect the same again.

Forgot all about Harewood :D

In fairness they were all proper short term signings to give squad experience some depth/experience when the games started to come thick and fast. Expect the same again.

Did you forget about Leon Best too?

Still, we got back up then, so hopefully we can do it again this time around. I am really curious to see what the squad will be looking like come the beginning of the season. Chance for a big clear out, that I think we all agree is needed.

What do you reckon the turn out will be at the home game against tottenham? i already know a few who are trying to sell their tickets for the game.

Best was a truly awful signing. Think that was a signing off "he's scoring goals, so may as well sign him because we can". Somehow turned a profit on him :D

Think Gini, Townsend, Sissoko, Saviet, Janmaat are the guranteed ones to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see us keep the others unless they proper force a move.

Also what's with us signing strikers on loan and not playing them? First Chucky now Doumbia.

What do you reckon the turn out will be at the home game against tottenham? i already know a few who are trying to sell their tickets for the game.

I'm not going. Sod the 8+hour round trip for a nothing game now. Can't even flog my two tickets for £10 :D

Best was a truly awful signing. Think that was a signing off "he's scoring goals, so may as well sign him because we can". Somehow turned a profit on him :D

Think Gini, Townsend, Sissoko, Saviet, Janmaat are the guranteed ones to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see us keep the others unless they proper force a move.

Also what's with us signing strikers on loan and not playing them? First Chucky now Doumbia.

Hahah, thank god we had Carroll who scored 15+ goals or whatever it was that season...

Yer, agree with you on those being pretty much guaranteed to move on. I´m hoping we can move on some too. Out of the current squad I think I would like to keep (i.e. players that I think will actually stay):

GKs: Elliot, Darlow

Defenders: Dummett, Lascelles, Haidara, Mbabu, Taylor (?)

Midfielders: Colback, Anita, Aarons, Tiote (if we can keep him)

Forwards: Mitrovic

God, think we need to get in some new players. I would love to see some more get promoted from the academy.

The rest I think will either attract bids for or we will try to clear our.

Hahah, thank god we had Carroll who scored 15+ goals or whatever it was that season...

Yer, agree with you on those being pretty much guaranteed to move on. I´m hoping we can move on some too. Out of the current squad I think I would like to keep (i.e. players that I think will actually stay):

GKs: Elliot, Darlow

Defenders: Dummett, Lascelles, Haidara, Mbabu, Taylor (?)

Midfielders: Colback, Anita, Aarons, Tiote (if we can keep him)

Forwards: Mitrovic

God, think we need to get in some new players. I would love to see some more get promoted from the academy.

The rest I think will either attract bids for or we will try to clear our.

Armstrong has a huge role to play. De Jong might stay if he has no takers after 2 years of sporadic football.

Feel free to put our success down to Carroll bagging 19 but Nolan got 18 and Lovenkrands got 16. Even Shola got 11.

Armstrong has a huge role to play. De Jong might stay if he has no takers after 2 years of sporadic football.

Feel free to put our success down to Carroll bagging 19 but Nolan got 18 and Lovenkrands got 16. Even Shola got 11.

It´s not that I am saying our success was down to Carroll... more of in response to the previous comment of having signed Leon Best back then.

Would be good to see De Jong get a run of games, he´s fallen so far down since leaving Ajax, poor lad.

Armstrong I would like to see for sure, making that step-up to the first team proper would be good for him.

It´s not that I am saying our success was down to Carroll... more of in response to the previous comment of having signed Leon Best back then.

Would be good to see De Jong get a run of games, he´s fallen so far down since leaving Ajax, poor lad.

Armstrong I would like to see for sure, making that step-up to the first team proper would be good for him.

I've seen so many people forget about Armstrong or suggest him as a sub. He scored 20 goals last season in League One. He should be the first name on the team sheet.

Shelvey will be absolutely insane at that level as well. I'm guessing he's been **** for you so far but he's too good for the Championship.

He's been very off and on.

When he was on, he was amazing though.

Hoping we can keep Mbemba, not likely though.

I think if Rafa stays we'll have a much better chance of keeping the players we want to keep.

Would've helped your cause if Ajax had won the league, reckon Everton would've gone for him then. I hope he stays because I like Newcastle, but my hopes aren't high.

He could always come to us mind.

What type of atmosphere do you guys expect on Sunday? Surely the fans will see the bigger picture that a joyous atmosphere serenading Rafa Benitez will make him way more likely to join than if it's poisonous and protest-y, even if there are smatterings of Rafa chants?

It could go either way. If we get our arses handed to us (as I expect), things could get nasty. More likely, people will just get up and leave.

I don't think it's going to get messy. The damage has already been done and relegation has been confirmed.... I think if we get our arses handed to us people will just leave early and look to the upcoming summer of transition with hope, haha.

What type of atmosphere do you guys expect on Sunday? Surely the fans will see the bigger picture that a joyous atmosphere serenading Rafa Benitez will make him way more likely to join than if it's poisonous and protest-y, even if there are smatterings of Rafa chants?

Hopefully fans show as much effort that the players did this season to them but huge chants about Rafa.

We're going to lose heavily though, so it's going to be **** all round I suspect.

FFS :D Forgot all about De Jong :D Literally spent the whole time on the injury table. I'd sell him just for that reason alone.

I think it'll be a good atmosphere. Majority of fans knew this was coming for a long time, so will just be songs backing Rafa regardless of the score line.

If he leaves, and replaced poorly then atmosphere will potentially be the opposite come first home game next season.

FFS :D Forgot all about De Jong :DLiterally spent the whole time on the injury table. I'd sell him just for that reason alone.

"Literally" 24/7 on the injury table, really? He must be sore. :D

Shelvey will be absolutely insane at that level as well. I'm guessing he's been **** for you so far but he's too good for the Championship.

The problem with Shelvey is he's a pretty limited player. He's not great defensively, and his general movement and positioning off the ball is pretty terrible which means too often he's not open for the pass, but when he gets the ball he seems to spot and execute all the best Hollywood passes very well.

I like Shelvey a lot, and there's clearly a very gifted player there. Playing in the Championship could really help his game I reckon, but i'm skeptical he'll be staying.

The problem with Shelvey is he's a pretty limited player. He's not great defensively, and his general movement and positioning off the ball is pretty terrible which means too often he's not open for the pass, but when he gets the ball he seems to spot and execute all the best Hollywood passes very well.

I like Shelvey a lot, and there's clearly a very gifted player there. Playing in the Championship could really help his game I reckon, but i'm skeptical he'll be staying.

His hollywood ball success rate is about 1 in 2. Really not great, so many attempted passes fly into the stands.

His hollywood ball success rate is about 1 in 2. Really not great, so many attempted passes fly into the stands.

I'd actually be interested to know real stats on that, I've watched most of his performances for us and it never seemed that way.

He said he wants to stay. Plus, with a player like him you have to have the right people around him to be effective.

I'd actually be interested to know real stats on that, I've watched most of his performances for us and it never seemed that way.

His debut(I think) he nailed most of them. But that's been his only good performance. In the rest he's tried more and more of them and I'd say at least half just go for a throw, goal or carry on to the keeper.

Hopefully Shelvey will be our new Nolan in the championship. Now all we need is a new Jonas, Carroll and Barton and we've cracked it :D

Edit - Forget Barton. Just remembered he hardly played in the Championship. Still though we could do with somebody like him in the dressing room.

Hopefully Shelvey will be our new Nolan in the championship. Now all we need is a new Jonas, Carroll and Barton and we've cracked it :D

Edit - Forget Barton. Just remembered he hardly played in the Championship. Still though we could do with somebody like him in the dressing room.

No chance of that whatsoever, he is far too lazy and immobile. He'll spend the season pointing at the rest of midfield telling them to chase after players he cannot be arsed to.

No chance of that whatsoever, he is far too lazy and immobile. He'll spend the season point at the rest of midfield telling them to chase after players he cannot be arsed to.

This. Shelvey was a terrible signing, the 'right people around him' as suggested above is 10 players that will carry him. He isn't good enough to be the luxury player he wants to be.

Armstrong's goals for Coventry this season. Some good finishes in there, looks like he's got some potential. Hopefully see plenty of him next season when we storm the Championship ;)

"Literally" 24/7 on the injury table, really? He must be sore. :D

informal -

used for emphasis while not being literally true

I'm a fan of Shelvey. Reel him in on his Hollywood passes and he can be a very important player for us if deployed in the right system. We will be expected to have far more of the ball in the Championship then when fighting relegation in the Premier League so he will be very important.

I'm a fan of Shelvey. Reel him in on his Hollywood passes and he can be a very important player for us if deployed in the right system. We will be expected to have far more of the ball in the Championship then when fighting relegation in the Premier League so he will be very important.

We would permanently be 1 man down in midfield due to him, he doesn't get involved enough at all defensively and offensively he is only hollywood balls.

We would permanently be 1 man down in midfield due to him, he doesn't get involved enough at all defensively and offensively he is only hollywood balls.

Those hollywood balls have helped create goals. How many goals do Colback/Tiote create. Would have preferred him to start over one of them against Villa last weekend.

Defensively he is lacking, but when we don't need that extra DM he's a better choice in my eyes.

pearcey isn't the brightest is he.

Oh the irony in this post :D

Can anybody ever rember us having a pitch invasion? We've been talking about it at work and nobody can remember one. An old fella reckons there was one in the late 80s but none of us are old enough to remember it.

Can anybody ever rember us having a pitch invasion? We've been talking about it at work and nobody can remember one. An old fella reckons there was one in the late 80s but none of us are old enough to remember it.

If Sammy scores we're on the pitch.

Benitez has said some positive things in the pre-match conference that suggests he's actually leaning towards staying.

Decisions to be made in about 2 weeks. Talked about the Everton job and said even though he has had no contact he hasn't completely ruled it out.

I Hope the club do everything possible to give him the control he wants.

Playoff semi-final at home to Sunderland in May 1990. I was there and in the corner (towards the back) of where all the knackas at the front piled on!

Not been a full scale pitch invasion since.

Reading the latest comments re Benitez - I believe it's not going to happen now. Ashley will try to string it out as long as he can, to try and quell any anger. :mad: Remember, this regime lies and misleads, first nature.

This. Shelvey was a terrible signing, the 'right people around him' as suggested above is 10 players that will carry him. He isn't good enough to be the luxury player he wants to be.

Pirlo (obviously on a way different level to Shelvey) had to be carried. I suggested that Shelvey alongside 1/2 runners/more mobile midfielders would destroy the Championship. He's far too good.

Sounds like Benitez would like to stay, but only on his terms. It's over to the board now to decide whether it's worth giving him what he wants or decide to go another way and get someone else in. If the board give him what he wants he will stay with you.

Pirlo (obviously on a way different level to Shelvey) had to be carried. I suggested that Shelvey alongside 1/2 runners/more mobile midfielders would destroy the Championship. He's far too good.

But he's not that good. Ability wise he's an average championship player. His whole game is based around hollywood passes. Pirlo is a very intelligent footballer, Shelvey is dumb on a football pitch. In FM terms, Shelvey has great technical ability but mentally and physically he is dreadful.