Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Newcastle United Thread 15/16 - Come watch us somehow screw up Rafa

Probably paying for the poorly organized pre-season, Joey (running out of steam at that point)

Cheers.

Interesting we got that result even without Perez/Aarons making an appearance. Seems like we have good depth in that department, just hopefully we can get an upgrade on Obertan and more depth at the back. But guess players may need to go before that happens due to squad registration :(

McClaren (on 5Live) a draw was fair enough in the end - plenty of positives. Says Mitrovic was silly for the tackle for after just coming on. We need to 'be a bit smarter' in the last 20mins of games.

It went to **** when Tioté came on and Anita went off.

Anita is much, much better in this system. He's important to the shape of the team. When Tioté came on he did his usual thing and the team had no shape at all.

Need a new first choice left back an' all, like. Haidara's not up to it yet imo.

It went to **** when Tioté came on and Anita went off.

Anita is much, much better in this system. He's important to the shape of the team. When Tioté came on he did his usual thing and the team had no shape at all.

Tioté's first game since January, competitive or not. Clearly wasn't match-fit.

Right, but even when he's on decent form he's never going to fit into a team that wants to pass the ball both on the ground and quickly.

Both when we're in possession and when we're not, Anita is so much better positionally as well.

Right, but even when he's on decent form he's never going to fit into a team that wants to pass the ball both on the ground and quickly.

Both when we're in possession and when we're not, Anita is so much better positionally as well.

Backing up Anita sounds like a role for Bigi :brock:

Bigi is the greatest enigma of the last 10 years. No idea what's happened there.

I disagree. Anita has been pretty poor for us save a few games. Tiote on decent form, is better than Anita in just about everything, including passing it short (And their stats from the last couple of seasons don't seem to tell a different story).

I'm assuming there's a MotD2 tonight?

Bloody hope so. Sounds like a good game to watch for once. Usually comes on a 10pm on BBC2.

I disagree. Anita has been pretty poor for us save a few games. Tiote on decent form, is better than Anita in just about everything, including passing it short (And their stats from the last couple of seasons don't seem to tell a different story).

Tioté has been pure ***** for at least the last three years. He's a liability.

do you know looking at it i'd have joey barton back over tiote, both a liability but joey offers a bit more going forward

and MOTD2 is on bbc one at 22.30

forgot how bad tiote was. should have moved Sissoko to CM and put Ayoze or Aarons on the wing

I thought you played pretty well most of the game,have to consider you were facing a massive club. :)

Very impressed with Sissoko,the Cancel guy decent debut.

Half of our players were dead on their feet by the 75minute mark. Our pre-season certainly hasn't helped build up fitness, so hopefully it will be worked on in the upcoming weeks.

Seemed a bit strange to bring De Jong on at the end. I could understand it if we had Southampton pegged back, but when they were pushing at us I would have preferred someone with a bit pace to offer a threat on the counter. I can't even remember him touching the ball.

I was really pleased with Mbemba and Wijnaldum. Thought they both had good games and will hopefully get better with more game time.

Tioté has been pure ***** for at least the last three years. He's a liability.
do you know looking at it i'd have joey barton back over tiote, both a liability but joey offers a bit more going forward

and MOTD2 is on bbc one at 22.30

forgot how bad tiote was. should have moved Sissoko to CM and put Ayoze or Aarons on the wing

Again, he's clearly far from being match fit. Don't think he should have even been on the bench today, judging by how uncharacteristically lethargic he looked when he came in.

I know it's popular to say that he's crap. I think that it has more to do with how brilliant he was on his first season, and how comparably average he's been ever since.

He gets caught on position in dangerous areas far too often, which is annoying, I agree. Still, he's our best ball winner, he always makes himself available to receive the ball, he is composed and not easily muscled off, and his passing is decent as long as he doesn't try anything fancy. All in all he's been pretty average the last few seasons, which is still better than how Anita was doing the same time.

I don't mind Tiote sticking around to see what McClaren can get out of him, but equally if we sold him I wouldn't be particularly disappointed.

decent start for schteve, at least now the team is trying to play proper football. that might be hard for most of the players as they have been brainwashed over the last X years by a certain idiot. probably needs time to get used to

good to see how anita and colback interchangeably became a half back and the 2 CBs moved wider. i think all we need is a proper winger to supply the crosses in for cisse and mitrovic. how would charlie austin fit into the side? i'd rather have thauvin for the current system.

btw once mitrovic did that tackle i was thinking ohh F he's gone in 60 secs, lucky him.

I saw the challenge last night and thought it was a nailed on yellow card. Nothing more.

I'm coming to Newcastle in October and thinking of buying ticket for the Norwich game. Would I be right in assuming that in a game like that there would tickets left for general sale? So I could from here Finland just buy ticket online when they come to general sale without any membership costs etc.

Ville - yeah, you should be OK. Tickets tend to go on general sale a week or two before the game itself. :) I would hope that you won't need to buy a membership first- that's more for if you want a ticket for an away game, IIRC.

I saw the challenge last night and thought it was a nailed on yellow card. Nothing more.

Had Matthew Targett not jumped and instead left his leg planted in the turf then he could have had it broken. Even Steve McClaren admitted it was a red.

I'm coming to Newcastle in October and thinking of buying ticket for the Norwich game. Would I be right in assuming that in a game like that there would tickets left for general sale? So I could from here Finland just buy ticket online when they come to general sale without any membership costs etc.

It's on Sky Sports too, so 100% nailed on for tickets to still be available on the day. They were for Southampton game so can't see things changing, unless we are sitting 2nd unbeaten and playing some of the best football we've ever witnessed :D

Had Matthew Targett not jumped and instead left his leg planted in the turf then he could have had it broken. Even Steve McClaren admitted it was a red.

Same could be said for nearly all slide challenges in that situation though, if his studs were showing then it should have been a straight red, but with just the leg it's a yellow.

Don't bother engaging MLG in conversation about Southampton

It's on Sky Sports too, so 100% nailed on for tickets to still be available on the day. They were for Southampton game so can't see things changing, unless we are sitting 2nd unbeaten and playing some of the best football we've ever witnessed :D

Same could be said for nearly all slide challenges in that situation though, if his studs were showing then it should have been a straight red, but with just the leg it's a yellow.

He could have had few complaints if he had been red.

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as

serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the

front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force

and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

It certainly fell under that category, studs or not. Lucky not to be red.

Was a late strikers challenge to be fair. Unlike Troy Deeney who had a late two-footed out of control challenge. If there was a red that should have been shown from this weekend, that was the one.

Was a late strikers challenge to be fair. Unlike Troy Deeney who had a late two-footed out of control challenge. If there was a red that should have been shown from this weekend, that was the one.

havent seen Deeney's but will have a google later.

it was a yellow and that was it, moving on.

i'm curious if schteve will abandon his proper football method to play 19th century football away vs swansea next game, tbf they look decent against chelsea. if colo and tiote (assumed in place of anita) were as **** as he was last week, we are definitely in for a long game

How we scored the 2nd goal will be exactly how we will approach that game. Our best performances against Swansea have been from remaining compact and breaking away in quick speed. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Aarons/Perez start on the left to offer more pace.

it was a yellow and that was it, moving on.

i'm curious if schteve will abandon his proper football method to play 19th century football away vs swansea next game, tbf they look decent against chelsea. if colo and tiote (assumed in place of anita) were as **** as he was last week, we are definitely in for a long game

I'd be surprised if Tiote starts, he's not fit enough.

If Anita isn't available I reckon it would be Wijnaldum playing deeper and De Jong as the #10. We could also play Sissoko central and have 2 of Obertan/Perez/Aarons on the wings, but I'd rather we try and play Wijnaldum & De Jong together, give Aarons a start, and play Perez or Mitro up top.

Be nice if Abeid started if Anita can't play. And be even better if he plays like he can and keeps the place all season.

Good chance to give some players a start. I reckon we could put out a decent second string side which should still be good enough to see us through.

How much do we reckon tickets will be for the Northampton game?

Cup games tend to start at around £15 - £20. Most I've ever spent on a cup game was £25 but that was for the posh seats.

Yup - what Brookie said. I can see Northampton fetching up a big following.

Team is unchanged from last week. De Jong misses out on the bench, as he has picked up a knock.

1-0 down - Gomis scores. It's been a very shaky start. Dodgy defending from Colo and Mbemba.

1-0 down. Gomis after a slide rule pass from Shelvey

Janmaat booked. His tackles have had a bit of 'bite' to them so far

Janmaat sent off. Second yellow for needlessly dragging back Monteiro