Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Newcastle United Thread 15/16 - Come watch us somehow screw up Rafa

He does the hard part really well and makes the easy stuff look difficult. Frustrating but he's still young and would much rather have him playing than Cisse who contributes nowt anywhere but in the box

Big fan of Mitrovic, offers so much more then goals. If we sign a 'proven' goalscorer, I reckon it'll be Perez that would make way for him at the moment. Whilst he is an exciting talent, he's just as guilty of wasting chances, and in recent games he has been a bit off in terms of his delivery and overall play. But because of the way he's good at dropping off the striker/wide/track back the proven goalscorer would also have to do that too so the balance of the side doesn't come disjointed.

Tough choice for me who to drop if we do sign one, but for now would say Perez.

I'm not sure where a new striker fits into the side without leaving someone out of the side or pushing someone out of position.

We seem to have settled on 4-2-3-1 and are starting to look a bit more balanced. If we sign Townsend he'll hopefully play on the left and not the right.

Is Shelvey and Townsend the sign of a change in direction in transfer policy, do you think or just what is available situation?

Some of these recent French blokes not exactly worked out great either.

Only time will tell if there has been a change in policy with regards to transfers. For me (and many) the jury is still very much out, and it's going to be a case of where we are come May. My feeling is that Ashley has only loosened the purse strings, because he had to.

If it was upto me I'd sign someone on loan until the end of the season to hopefully get us to safety. I reckon Mitrovic will do the business next season.

Signing some effective on loan is easier said than done though, toon otherwise everyone would do it!

Not worried about Mitrovic at the minute, Drogba didn't score many in his early Chelsea career but his sheer presence improved the team. Mitro's doing the same job for us, and with age will come goals.

I doubt he'll ever be a 25+ goals a season striker, but he'll get 15 or so next year but be vital towards the likes of Gini and Perez continuing to score.

Drogba scored 16 goals in all comps in both his first two seasons, I think Mitrovic may get 8-9 max this season.

We need someone up front who can score goals every week, look at the points we have dropped in the last month where we haven't taken our chances, Villa, Everton, West Brom & Arsenal.

The Aston Villa game we dominated first half, missed a few chances (should have been 2-0 up after half an hour) and they scored second half and we drew, 2 points lost.

Everton game they scored in the 93rd minute, 1 point dropped.

West Brom, again missed chances and they scored in the last 10 minutes when we were on for a draw, 1 point lost.

Arsenal, we played well and Arsenal were poor, we really should have got a point, 1 point lost.

I think our poor finishing has cost us about 5 points recently (which would have had us 14th on 26 points), where we should have had loads of chances at goal and didn't take them, tbh I thought we missed loads of chances yesterday we should have been 3-0 up at half time, I'm surprised we held on for 2-1 as we don't usually.

Signing some effective on loan is easier said than done though, toon otherwise everyone would do it!

That's true, however there's never a better time what with the Euros coming up.

Shane Long would be perfect. Also why not put the feelers out for Robbie Keane.

Is Shelvey and Townsend the sign of a change in direction in transfer policy, do you think or just what is available situation?

Some of these recent French blokes not exactly worked out great either.

Think it's a change in that we are now willing to buy British. But the success of Gini, Mbemba and Mitro means we'll keep buying foreign too.

So apparently Ashley has given the go ahead to spend big on Berahino and Townsend.

No idea if it's true, but it's promising at least.

Neither is Townsend tbh, but hey, better than nothing.

No idea where Berahino will fit, unless they're planning on shifting Perez which would be an awful decision.

Berahino is only 22 years old

15million for him hardly sounds extraordinary

But he also refused to play for them for a while because he didn't get his move to Spurs.

But he also refused to play for them for a while because he didn't get his move to Spurs.

And this is what would worry me the most. The same with Tarkowski at Brentford who refused to play as the club turned down a bid from Burnley.

If Berahino is a big success at Newcastle and Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal come calling, he will do it again.

As soon as a player refuses to play, ALL interest in him should immediately stop.

As an aside, we (Yeovil) gave Andros Townsend his professional debut at 17 (and have the same to Steven Caulker & Ryan Mason) and it was a pleasure to watch him play. Without question, one of the best players to ever play for us.

I am not sure Berahino will go anywhere other than Spurs and think he may think he is destined for bigger things than Newcastle. He's shown he's willing to sit on the bench to get the move he wants too

I also like the apparent "new" transfer policy of buying English - less likely to flop and less settling in required.

Most recent reports say Spurs have dropped their interest on him and he's open to a move to Newcastle because of that. Whether that's true or not who knows, but he's definitely keen to leave WBA this window, and the serious interest in him seems to have dried up (probably because he hasn't started a game since October).

Berahino would be a risk at that price. He's not exactly the type of striker I feel we really need and his reputation is in the gutter at the moment, but if he can be lethal in front of goal then fair enough. Although if that does happen he'll be gone inside 18 months.

Townsend I'm more keen on since we've needed a proper winger who's well adapted to the EPL for a long time, and I think he'd fit in really well with the team.

I also like the apparent "new" transfer policy of buying English - less likely to flop and less settling in required.

How do you come to this conclusion?

So apparently Ashley has given the go ahead to spend big on Berahino and Townsend.

No idea if it's true, but it's promising at least.

Season ticket deadline coming up next week.........

Maybe he meant it's because they're established in the PL?

Berahino, if McClaren can fix his attitude, won't stay long but if he regains his form and does eventually move on there's a guaranteed profit which is what Ashley's probably seeing in it.

Oh and with Chelsea having a difficult few games coming up against Arsenal (who will probably get the win), a Watford side that's generally pretty decent at home and Man Utd who are absolutely awful but still get the results atm due to Rooney's form, the game on the 13th of Feb between Newcastle and Chelsea could be an interesting relegation 6 pointer.

Because:

Maybe he meant it's because they're established in the PL?

Simple as that. Proven track record in the EPL.

Because:

You did word it in a poor way though by suggesting that foreigners in general are more prone to flop than English players.

You did word it in a poor way though by suggesting that foreigners in general are more prone to flop than English players.

I knew you backing me up was far too good to be true. :brock:

Reports coming out that Chelsea have now moved in for Berahino. Next!

Desperation on Chelsea's part. He's not a top of the table striker so he'll be a bench warmer in no time

Because:

Problem with the likes of Townsend though is he's proven to be fairly average. Doesn't seem to score many and can't recall too many assists either. I'd rather risk money on someone unknown who may be a hit - like Gini - than a guaranteed average player like Townsend. Especially if the 14mil being reported is how much we end up paying.

Because:

What's Townsend's proven in the Premier League? Why is he a safer bet than someone with more ability that comes from another country?

Desperation on Chelsea's part. He's not a top of the table striker so he'll be a bench warmer in no time

He won't care if it means him earning over £80k p/w.

What's Townsend's proven in the Premier League? Why is he a safer bet than someone with more ability that comes from another country?

He's proven he can run fast, take a lot of shots, most of which are off target.

If Chelsea do go for Berahino (and get him) we should go all out for Remy. Even if it's just a loan he has proven he can do exactly what we need.

I just can't see where Townsend would fit in, unless the Sissoko to Napoli rumour is true. I don't think Berahino is any better than what we have now. We also don't need a player that has history of throwing his toys out of the pram.

Because he's not flaky like the last two players we've signed abroad to replace HBA on the wing.

Presume Townsend was to replace Thauvin if he got peddled back to Marseille on loan.

Yep straight watch. Apparently terms all agreed for Thauvin to go, but won't be sealed till we sign a replacement.

Ivan Toney is out of the rest of the season.

McClaren is also now talking about the return or Rivierre as 'like a new signing'. :rolleyes:

Ivan Toney is out of the rest of the season.

McClaren is also now talking about the return or Rivierre as 'like a new signing'. :rolleyes:

10-12 weeks for Toney.

And it makes a bit more sense since Riviere has never played under McClaren.

Napoli have made an approach for Sissoko, which has been knocked back. They are expected to return with another offer.

10-12 weeks for Toney.

And it makes a bit more sense since Riviere has never played under McClaren.

It's more Pardew-esque BS which is saying that no new striker will be coming in.

It's more Pardew-esque BS which is saying that no new striker will be coming in.

All managers say player x 'will be like a new signing' when they come back from injury.

Steve Harper to Sunderland, rest of the reason.

Deleted his twitter due to the abuse from both sets of "fans". I say fair play to him we've all got bills go pay.

Deleted his twitter due to the abuse from both sets of "fans". I say fair play to him we've all got bills go pay.

Gets to stay with his family and valuable experience at the highest level. If we don't try and sign him that's the next best thing.

Always thought that football fan rivalry was pathetic. Any Newcastle fan throwing abuse at Harper for that should be banned from the stadium for life.