Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Newcastle United Thread 15/16 - Come watch us somehow screw up Rafa

Found a pic of Shelvey being revealed to the fans before the match.

12540687_482129648659302_7851019570264195703_n.jpg?oh=5b003941fb0202df3503c60073258c5d&oe=57400460

Dummett is no fullback (he will end up as a DC), but he's having to play there out of necessity. McClaren doesn't seem to trust Mbabu as yet to do a job there (when looks as if he could)

Colback will start again on Saturday. Just watch.

Was a fantastic game,Tiote looks to definitely be on his way from what I saw at the end with McClaren.

Colback needs to be binned. What exactly has he done since he joined us? I think he is such a huge weak link in the team.

My main issue with Colback, and there are a lot, is that he gets a free pass from the thickos who think he's a hard worker who provides a lot for the team, when in reality he does sod all and if anything causes us to play worse because he's just so negative.

Seen it a few times where he'll shape up to play the ball forward, panic, rethink, panic some more before passing it sideways/backwards. Despite the flaws Shelvey has, at least he'll play it forward and that will only improve our chances of scoring goals.

Thought Colo and Tiote were quality today, Tiote just lacking the engine and speed to cover that position on his own. Mitrovic was excellent at holding the ball today and worked very well with Wijnaldum who if it wasn't for Rooney scoring twice should have won MotM. Was disappointed with Mbemba and Perez, and Dummett and Colback showed again that while they put the effort in, they aren't good enough.

Happy with the result, and one of Newcastle's better performances of the season, so I fully expect them to lose at the weekend.

Was a fantastic game,Tiote looks to definitely be on his way from what I saw at the end with McClaren.

Colback needs to be binned. What exactly has he done since he joined us? I think he is such a huge weak link in the team.

What happened with Tiote and McClaren?

Pleased with the signings though, people have overlooked our lack of quality in CM I'd say.

Showed great character tonight which is pleasing. As mentioned before, recent managers we would have rolled over when that became 2, but we didn't. We may not be able to score for **** in recent times under Steve, but at least we don't throw in the towel as easily anymore.

Got to win on Saturday. That's a proper must win game.

What happened with Tiote and McClaren?

Pleased with the signings though, people have overlooked our lack of quality in CM I'd say.

Could be nothing but McClaren put his arm around him and whispered sweet nothings in his ear. Lots of big rumours that he's on his way to China and it just seemed McClaren was saying something like "your gonna miss this aren't you"

Edit - and this

Keith Downie ‏@SkySports_Keith 2m2 minutes ago

Steve McClaren asked if tonight was Cheik Tiote's last game for NUFC, he said: "not too sure." Sounds like it will be.

Newcastle miss a great chance then 2-0 down. Yep, this is over

Ah ha, well placed reverse jinx there ... you're welcome :p

Dummett one of the best players on the pitch tonight, defensively he's much better than any of our other defenders at the moment. Can see him being Colo's replacement at CB as he isn't good on the ball apart from when banging it from 20 yards. Gini looked so quick and so good on the ball, was a class above. Coloccini is defensively awful, why on 2 or 3 occasions was he 15 yards deeper than the rest of the defence playing Rooney onside on the opposite side of the pitch?

Dummett one of the best players on the pitch tonight, defensively he's much better than any of our other defenders at the moment. Can see him being Colo's replacement at CB as he isn't good on the ball apart from when banging it from 20 yards. Gini looked so quick and so good on the ball, was a class above. Coloccini is defensively awful, why on 2 or 3 occasions was he 15 yards deeper than the rest of the defence playing Rooney onside on the opposite side of the pitch?

Hell no, he was by far the worst player for us in the first half, Martial just couldn't not beat him. He did improve in the 2nd half like the rest but he wasn't even one of our better players all game.

Hell no, he was by far the worst player for us in the first half, Martial just couldn't not beat him. He did improve in the 2nd half like the rest but he wasn't even one of our better players all game.

Martial beat him about 3 times out of 9 attempts, even Savage was calling it an even battle.

Savage calls most things a battle. He wasn't that bad however, Dummett does have a terrible aura about him though.

He looks like he's clumsy on the ball. He can't run with it and can only pass if he's stood still. He isn't much use when trying to build attacks, a few times he was free on the left but was ignored. He either plays a percentage ball by hoofing it upfield or passes sideways and backwards.

I'm not sure if it's good news or bad news for you guys seeing how hopeless Swansea have suddenly become

Thauvin has apparently told Newcastle that he wants to return to France. Another transfer masterstroke by the club \o/

Thauvin has apparently told Newcastle that he wants to return to France. Another transfer masterstroke by the club \o/

I told you this right at the start when you were celebrating his capture.

Newcastle are nothing if not predictable on transfers.

Talented, but SOOOO flaky

(Opens can of worms)

Out of Ben Arfa,Cabella and Thauvin who have all had "problems" who should we have kept?

Granted Ben Arfa had a lot more chances than both of the others but we could certainly use him right about now.....

(Opens can of worms)

Out of Ben Arfa,Cabella and Thauvin who have all had "problems" who should we have kept?

Granted Ben Arfa had a lot more chances than both of the others but we could certainly use him right about now.....

Cabella needed more time, he's the one I would have kept.

For me the thinking is: If you (Newcastle) think Cabella is flaky, why Thauvin?

If you think Ben Arfa was flaky, why either of those two?

Ultimately, is the current Newcastle even a place for any of those type of players?

I told you this right at the start when you were celebrating his capture.

Newcastle are nothing if not predictable on transfers.

Talented, but SOOOO flaky

Are you just talking to BG there? Because there were quite a few of us questioning the Thauvin transfer at the time.

(Opens can of worms)

Ben Arfa. Have you seen some of the goals he's scored for Nice this season?

Not quite sure why we paid so much for Thauvin in the first place. Massively risky transfer with a massively risky payoff. Neither has worked as he'll be shipped off for like £5m again.

Think it's time we splashed out on a couple of 28-30 year olds who can do a job for a couple of years while our risky transfer crap goes on around them.

Ben Arfa. Have you seen some of the goals he's scored for Nice this season?

I have and he's a joy to watch. Not just his goals but his all round movement and constant attacking intent is something that we badly miss.

Without doubt one of my favourite players to ever wear the shirt.

It's amazing how much the club have pissed away, trying to replace Ben Arfa (who we should have kept!) It's also worth noting that a lot of these French players are all represented by the same sports agency. They must love dealing with Ashley and Charnley!

As opposed to Cabella and Thauvin who never had a good game? Also - have you noticed how he's doing with Nice? See what happens when you use a special talent, properly.

Ben Arfa had more then 3 good games a season. Would go through a patch of 4/5 games of being influential, but would then disappear for a few months, before repeating again.

Was excited by the Thauvin signing, as it was an improvement on Cabella, just hasn't worked out at all and clearly McClaren is not a fan as he never starts and only gets 2 minutes at the end each game where he's obviously not going to do anything. His confidence is absolutely shattered as shown when he came on against Watford in the cup :(

£20m spent on replacing HBA, and we're back to square one. 3rd time lucky hopefully...

I have and he's a joy to watch. Not just his goals but his all round movement and constant attacking intent is something that we badly miss.

Without doubt one of my favourite players to ever wear the shirt.

Agreed. Happy to see him thriving at Nice, hope he stays there and enjoys himself for another season or two.

Are you just talking to BG there? Because there were quite a few of us questioning the Thauvin transfer at the time.

aye, though it applies to pearcy as well. Definitely not the entire Toon base on here, I certainly remember baffled posters.

As opposed to Cabella and Thauvin who never had a good game? Also - have you noticed how he's doing with Nice? See what happens when you use a special talent, properly.

Nice have 3 of the hardest working CMs in the league doing his dog work when he is at 10, and a harder working 10 when he is up front. They rejigged their entire setup for him. It's not exactly a fair comparison.

Lyon, Marseille, Newcastle, France; all made fair concessions for him, and still didnt work out

I think the only way to get the best out of Ben Arfa is to tell him he's the best player at the club and let him do what the **** he wants on the pitch.

I remember many games when the opposition put 2 men on Ben Arfa and most of the time it worked,he couldn't get into the game. Just proves what a handful he can be to play against.

Personally I'd rather have him walk around and sulk for not getting passed the ball for 89 mins but then beating 3 men and scoring in that final minute over players like Colback and Gouffran who run around a lot but never really make any impact.

Also I would have loved to see how Ben Arfa and Perez played together.

Ben Arfa had/has the most talent but was nowhere consistent enough, would have one good game in 10.

absolute rubbish as usual. Our only tactic for a while from Pardew was give it to HBA and hope he'll do something special, while the rest of the players just stood and watched him. When he played well he was usually inexplicably dropped for the next few games for no reason. We used rubbish like Obertan and strikers on the wing instead of HBA for no reason

absolute rubbish as usual. Our only tactic for a while from Pardew was give it to HBA and hope he'll do something special, while the rest of the players just stood and watched him. When he played well he was usually inexplicably dropped for the next few games for no reason. We used rubbish like Obertan and strikers on the wing instead of HBA for no reason

Not really, Ben Arfa spent most of his career being hugely inconsistent. It's part of the reason he ended up at Newcastle in the first place, because respectfully, he should have been destined for greater things.

Nice have 3 of the hardest working CMs in the league doing his dog work when he is at 10, and a harder working 10 when he is up front. They rejigged their entire setup for him. It's not exactly a fair comparison.

Lyon, Marseille, Newcastle, France; all made fair concessions for him, and still didnt work out

Which is exactly what teams should do. All the while he played on the right of a 3 man attack he was sensational. Absolutely unplayable. Play to his strengths and he will be one of the most talented players around. We then reverted to 4-4-2 again to try and fit Cisse and Ba in happily and Ben Arfa began to struggle, his poor defending was highlighted and he was dropped and moved around. In October 2013 we even tried him as a 'false 9' in a team that couldn't control a game and was just hoofing the ball to him. Nice have built around him and are right up there this season.

Mitrovic and Ben Arfa would have been great together, assuming they could both be arsed at the same time.

Which is exactly what teams should do. All the while he played on the right of a 3 man attack he was sensational. Absolutely unplayable. Play to his strengths and he will be one of the most talented players around. We then reverted to 4-4-2 again to try and fit Cisse and Ba in happily and Ben Arfa began to struggle, his poor defending was highlighted and he was dropped and moved around. In October 2013 we even tried him as a 'false 9' in a team that couldn't control a game and was just hoofing the ball to him. Nice have built around him and are right up there this season.

There is playing to his strengths (which the French sides definitely did) and then there is totally rejigging. Lyon, Marseille and France did exactly that, letting him play wide with a free role, still not enough. Just too much of a loose cannon, but without the results at the end of it.

He wasn't consistent enough at the time for any of the clubs to do more than they did. Part of his success now is down to the fact he realises its his last big chance. he's keeping in shape and training well, essentially doing things he wasnt doing previously. He's not falling out with managers or staff (yet)

To recreate this?

1413907320091_wps_4_NEWCASTLE_ENGLAND_APRIL_2.jpg

Wouldn't be much of a fight in fairness, Mitrovic would most likely kill Ben Arfa.

De Jong's been poked in the eye and is out for 2 weeks

Pardew has claimed he'll be able to manage Adebayor because he could handle HBA... Can't wait to see him try :lol:

De Jong's been poked in the eye and is out for 2 weeks

I just read the story and read that one of his contact lenses actually went into his eye, i wear contacts (the stiff, RGP ones, not those floppy disposable ones) and this happening to me is one of my greatest nightmares :D