Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Newcastle United Thread 15/16 - Come watch us somehow screw up Rafa

They know that, Aiston which is why they should have had someone lined up when the window opened. Instead, Ashley seems intent on sleepwalking the club to relegation. Perhaps he has given up already?

Was never going to be anything other than a defeat today. Mission accomplished for McClaren.

Do you really believe it's 'Mission accomplished for McClaren'? I seriously doubt he goes out to lose games every week. I'm bored and frustrated with losing every week but to imply that any team would go out to lose on purpose is plain ridiculous, and to suggest Ashley has some intent to ruin the club is crazy too, at the end of the day he's a businessman and which businessman wants to lose on a investment or devalue it, you can come up with whatever conspiracy you like but some of the remarks you make are just crazy. I'm not Ashley's biggest fan, in fact I refuse to go to his shops, but he would not willingly go out and lose on an investment.

On today's game, it just highlights the need for a clinical striker, that's going to be a very tough ask though. I'd like to see Austin brought in but I think we will just have to wait and see, I do think we will definitely sign at least one player this window though like the window a few years back when we signed Sissoko, Haidara and a few others.

Ashley doesn't give a flying one about NUFC. It's been a means to and end for promoting his business. Speaking of which;

John Gardner @decka1969

@NufcAnonymous @NSSN_NE @Mike_Ashley_Out @EveningChron 1bn wiped off share value since enquiry into zero hours. Keep up the pressure.

Follow

NSSN North East @NSSN_NE

@decka1969 @NufcAnonymous @Mike_Ashley_Out @EveningChron

Just wait until you see what's in store for this week

#SportsDirectShame

#NSSN

You totally misunderstood his post BG. He never said Ashley cares about Newcastle, he said that's it's crazy that you think Ashley would purposely run Newcastle into the ground when he can potentially make a lot of money from the club.

Well, if he's not purposely running Newcastle into the ground, then what's he been doing for the last 3 seasons? We've been circling the drain for that whole time.

I must say I've liked Shelvey when I've watched him but reading the Swansea forums they don't think he's good enough for them, which is worrying.

He's been out of form and favour for a while. A new start might do the lad some good (and us)

Yeah, just bears an eerie resemblance to our situation where outsiders think Colback's a decent player whilst we all know he's proper *****.

Difference being Shelvey has actually shown some ability, whereas Colback has always and will always be a steaming pile of ****. Anyone who rates Colback, Newcastle fan or not, needs to be locked in a secure room for everyone's safety.

Would happily take Shelvey, but he better not be the only signing. Proper CB, LB, and a striker at a minimum. I reckon Mitrovic will come good, but now we need experience and goals.

Even if we do sign Shelvey I still can't see Colback being dropped :(

I unfortunately have to agree. Anita will make way.

Shelvey is overrated and comes with baggage, much like Berahino who we're also being linked with.

Wouldn't particularly be happy with either of them, as much as we're crying out to replace most of the midfield.

Would be surprised if Berahino wants to go to Newcastle anyway, hardly a step up from where he is now, just a bigger stadium.

I'd take Shelvey in a heart beat. Haven't replaced Cabaye for ages and he'd be the right man for it. Need someone in midfield who can take a pass from defence and play it forward straight away. Not a side ways pass or someone who has to travel with the ball. Slows down the play far too much.

LB is a must too.

Don't need no more attacking players for now unless they're on loan and experienced. Don't want a permanent striker who will be a further block to Armstrong when he comes back.

Reports coming from France, that Saviet has signed a 5 year contract, with the fee rumored to be around £5million. Don't know if we have any followers of French football in here, but how is he as a DM or is he more of a winger?

BUT

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 20m20 minutes ago

Breaking | No fee agreement yet between Newcastle & Bordeaux for Saivet. Bournemouth might try to scupper the deal, according to L'Équipe.

No brainer for him, isn't it?

He's played as a DM all season but was a winger a few years back. Would be really bizarre to sign him with the intention of playing him wide.

Not if we're persisting with the 352 idea. He'd probably be in his element as the left side of that formation.

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 44s44 seconds ago

Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren confirms Bordeaux midfielder Henri Saivet is having medical & discussing personal terms #SSNHQ

Not if we're persisting with the 352 idea. He'd probably be in his element as the left side of that formation.

But he's very right footed?

Don't understand the logic behind the signing. Basically signing a younger version of Gouffran, doesn't fill any of the positions we require. Is he a LB? Nope. Is he a CB? Nope. Is he a creative CM? Nope. Is he a out and out winger that will hit the byline? Nope. Is he a proven goalscorer? Nope.

Can't see McClaren sitting there and thinking, "Get in. This will help our cause."

Do feel Carr has too much power these days, and players he puts forward, Charnley will go and buy (at least try to), whilst the coaches suggestion just get bypassed. Despite them knowing what the squad needs.

Don't understand the logic behind the signing. Basically signing a younger version of Gouffran, doesn't fill any of the positions we require. Is he a LB? Nope. Is he a CB? Nope. Is he a creative CM? Nope. Is he a out and out winger that will hit the byline? Nope. Is he a proven goalscorer? Nope.

Can't see McClaren sitting there and thinking, "Get in. This will help our cause."

Do feel Carr has too much power these days, and players he puts forward, Charnley will go and buy (at least try too), whilst the coaches suggestion just get bypassed. Despite them knowing what the squad needs.

Signing Saivet and Shelvey, 2 new CM's. Unless Colback is moving wide or playing LB it seems strange. We'll now have Tiote, Colback, Anita, Saivet and Shelvey all for deeper midfield roles.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's straight into the side tomorrow. Anita is out for a while, Colback looks worse then usual and Tiote is no where near the levels of the past.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's straight into the side tomorrow. Anita is out for a while, Colback looks worse then usual and Tiote is no where near the levels of the past.

Tiote was surprisingly really good against Arsenal and Colback won't be dropped. Anyway, he hasn't been registered in time for tomorrow

Tiote apparently on his way to China - to team up with Demba Ba. £3million fee rumoured.

Nah I think its fine given he's young, its January and he's English

A 23 year old proven English midfielder. 12 million seems about right in the current market.

But he's also pretty average?

"he's English"

A 23 year old proven English midfielder. 12 million seems about right in the current market.

Proven average midfielder. Better than what you have mind, not that it means much.

What definition of "average" are you both using?

Better than rubbish, worse than good. From a Newcastle perspective, I'd say an average midfielder is generally one that wouldn't get onto a bench of a top 4 side, and weaken sides within the top 8 by starting ahead of their current midfielders. Or to define it another way, Mark Noble.

On paper Shelvey and Saivet seem like potentially good signings (when Shelvey bothers to show up he looks really good but a lot of the time seems pretty meh). The question is are they players that can fill defined roles in the current system or are they more square pegs for circle holes?

Delighted with Shelvey. On his day he's unplayable and more importantly he can play the type of passes that no-one else in our midfield can play.

Finally replaced Cabaye \o/

Find it very strange though Swansea have sold him this window to a relegation rival. Huge gamble from them.

Delighted with Shelvey. On his day he's unplayable and more importantly he can play the type of passes that no-one else in our midfield can play.

Find it very strange though Swansea have sold him this window to a relegation rival. Huge gamble from them.

Shelvey has never been unplayable, nor is he a ) as good as Cabaye, b) as consistent as Cabaye.

Be carefule pearcey, you've been excited about signings before and look how that turned out

Shelvey has never been unplayable, nor is he a ) as good as Cabaye, b) as consistent as Cabaye.

Yeah pretty much this. We've paid the same fee for a younger, worse player with more of an attitude.

But, I think a good signing for you guys. £12 is about the right price too. Good business.

Did you see the video of him just standing in one spot whilst Oxford were attacking the other day? Lazy sod.

You'd hope he's deployed more of an attacking midfielder than a defensive one for you.

With 12 Mill i reckon they could get a more consistent player.