Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Newcastle United Thread 15/16 - Come watch us somehow screw up Rafa

Not sure if it's of interest chaps, but the Guardian are doing a live update on Ashley getting a grilling by MP's at the moment. He's just admitted that Sports Direct pay below the minimum wage.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/jun/07/mike-ashley-quizzed-by-mps-over-sports-direct-working-conditions-live-updates

Not exactly positive press for him, haha.

I'm surprised there isn't a thread for it tbh.

He's struggled throughout and has nearly lost his rag a couple of time.

Quality TV. :)

Why would anybody be surprised that Sissoko wants to play in a more high profile league for a more high profile team?

Also, who can blame him? He wants to succeed, to progress. He's already lost a year or two to us, no need to lose another.

Why would anybody be surprised that Sissoko wants to play in a more high profile league for a more high profile team?

Also, who can blame him? He wants to succeed, to progress. He's already lost a year or two to us, no need to lose another.

I think if Sissoko had bust a gut for us during his time here, no one come blame him for wanting to leave - sure there would be disappointment, but people would understand. Most savvy NUFC supporters know that Sissoko has played well within himself for the last couple of seasons and that's what riles. He hasn't shown enough effort, but he still thinks himself or being good enough to play for Arsenal? He can **** off.

He did originally tbf.

We could barely bring ourselves to support the team, so it's not surprising that some of the players could barely bring themselves to play either.

I understand that, but he's a professional and a highly paid one at that. If he wasn't happy, he could have sought a move earlier, as Cabaye did. I have no sympathy for him.

Sissoko is easily one of our best players, I wonder who will be our scapegoat next once he is gone. People say he was lazy, didn't put the effort in etc...but who the hell has the past few years?

Despite clearly he didn't play to his best very often, he still played a lot better and more consistently than the vast majority of the squad.

Bad players who run around like headless chicken continue to be overrated! If someone puts in effort but isn't good they aren't doing their job.

Bad players who run around like headless chicken continue to be overrated! If someone puts in effort but isn't good they aren't doing their job.

Seems lately that many Newcastle fans are just happy with passion/ effort put in...despite if certain players do a bad job where it matters.

Seems lately that many Newcastle fans are just happy with passion/ effort put in...despite if certain players do a bad job where it matters.

Considering the amount of fans that wanted us to keep HBA I think that's an untrue statement. Most of us know Colback is awful and were happy when Taylor got released with both probably being the most passionate players at Newcastle in recent times.

Rubbish. Colback is useless and he runs around more than anymore.

What we need are leaders and we need people with experience of high quality. Ross McCormack in my opinion is not that player. Yes, he has scored goals at both Fulham (at a rate of 0.42 a game according to wiki) and at Leeds (at a rate of of 0.37 a game), but those numbers are not insane, and I honestly think that Mitro could score goals at a similar rate in the championship as well. McCormack also does not have the experience of being promoted, having played for Cardiff, Leeds and Fulham and failing in all bids so IMO he is not the leader we need either. He is a good championship striker, that is for sure, but I don't think he is the right player we need to get promotion and provide experience, we should give Mitro the chance as our no 1 ST next season.

0.42 is pretty good going for a side that has been utter junk. Imagine in a side where you'd expect to be dominating a lot more. Good set piece taker which we may need too. His time at Leeds is skewed too because he spent most of his time outwide till he was played up front and smashed them in.

Sissoko is easily one of our best players, I wonder who will be our scapegoat next once he is gone. People say he was lazy, didn't put the effort in etc...but who the hell has the past few years?

Despite clearly he didn't play to his best very often, he still played a lot better and more consistently than the vast majority of the squad.

Sissoko has only been one of our best players during the tail end of the season when Rafa stuck him as an AMC. Prior to that he's flattered to deceive.

I'm not angry he wants to leave though, I'm honestly very surprised more players haven't expressed their desire to leave yet. Sissoko, Wijnaldum and Janmaat are the big 3 I'm certain will want out no matter what, beyond them anyone could turn around and ask to leave and I wouldn't be too surprised.

Hopefully we actually get a good price for him.

We hold all the cards and can pretty much ask what we want for him since he still has 5/6 years left on his contract. Personally i wouldnt accept anything less than £15 million for him.

Edit: just checked and he only has 3 years left. Still a decent enough chunk of time to still be able to hold out for the price we want.

0.42 is pretty good going for a side that has been utter junk. Imagine in a side where you'd expect to be dominating a lot more. Good set piece taker which we may need too. His time at Leeds is skewed too because he spent most of his time outwide till he was played up front and smashed them in.

Yer, I agree, not a bad return... But I feel that Mitro could hopefully get that goal return in the championship too... My main concern is I doubt is he the right leader and experienced player we need....? I think we could do better on that front. Still, will be interesting to see who though.

So if someone tries their best, but just aren't good enough they aren't doing their job? I think you need to look at the manager, not the player in that situation.

Sissoko's not top of my list of players to get rid of, but I'm glad to see the back of him.

Hopefully Colback and Colo will follow his lead.

Colback will probably be useful this season tbh.

I doubt it. He's slow, weak, hides a lot and has very limited technique. Since The Championship is quicker and generally a bit more physical, he's not going to be able to compete.

Same with Anita, but at least he has some ability.

Reports suggesting that we've stuck a £20million price tag on Sissoko.

Sissoko, Janmaat and Gini. Three players that will go, won't be really missed and will bring some money in as well. Not bad.

I doubt it. He's slow, weak, hides a lot and has very limited technique. Since The Championship is quicker and generally a bit more physical, he's not going to be able to compete.

Same with Anita, but at least he has some ability.

Colback was a very good player in the championship at 19/20 and won Ipswitchs player of the year I think 2 years running in that league. So I think you're under rating him.

Championship is his level. He will do a great job for you there I'm sure.

Colback was a very good player in the championship at 19/20 and won Ipswitchs player of the year I think 2 years running in that league. So I think you're under rating him.

Championship is his level. He will do a great job for you there I'm sure.

Considering the Championship is significantly harder than it was 6/7 years ago, and Colback seems to have regressed with us, he'll do f*** all. Might fluke a goal or two, but he's a negative and cowardly player who will be more of a hindrance than a help.

Keith Downie ‏@SkySports_Keith 4m

Understand Palace are interested, but unless a massive offer comes in expect Andros Townsend to start the season with NUFC in the Champ.

He'd be a huge loss to us for the Championship, but it would be so acceptable if he wanted to leave.

Keith Downie ‏@SkySports_Keith 4m

Understand Palace are interested, but unless a massive offer comes in expect Andros Townsend to start the season with NUFC in the Champ.

Does he not have a release clause of 10.5m? Or I assume that counts as massive.

Incidentally lads, despite my connections with the north east would you believe I am currently for the first time ever in Newcastle. Lovely city. Few beers on quayside last night, very nice.

I can't see Townsend being there in September, his omission from the England squad was probably enough for him to get his agent on the phone to as many top flight clubs as possibles.

Does he not have a release clause of 10.5m? Or I assume that counts as massive.

Incidentally lads, despite my connections with the north east would you believe I am currently for the first time ever in Newcastle. Lovely city. Few beers on quayside last night, very nice.

:thup: Enjoy your stay, Mr Adam. :)

With regards to Townsend, was the release clause not rubbished, the other week?

I can't see Townsend being there in September, his omission from the England squad was probably enough for him to get his agent on the phone to as many top flight clubs as possibles.

Whereas his inclusion in the England squad wouldnt?

It would have made it easier for Newcastle to convince him to stay & help them get back to the Premier League if he felt that he'd still get an international call-up, he'd likely still want to leave but the number of clubs he'd be willing to leave for would probably be a smaller list.

To me, his inclusion in the England squad would have just been even more of an incentive to push for a move away due to the need of competing at a higher level to maintain his squad status.

Its all if and buts though. He's come out and said he'd like the opportunity to continue working with Rafa but like all footballers, what they say and do are usually two different things.

Woy has also said that he has no problems selecting him even if he is playing in the championship. I think he'll stay purely because of rafa. Any other manager and we would be facing a mass exodus.

So... who watched England? Such a painful way to end the game... We should have tied this game up in 1st half :/

Looks like there's a chance that Sissoko might get to play for his dream Champions League club after all

Hamburg have bid £9million for him

Looks like there's a chance that Sissoko might get to play for his dream Champions League club after all

Hamburg have bid £9million for him

They finished 10th last season.

Chron reckons we paid somewhere between £8-10million for him, so it's not too big a loss.

No, but it shouldn't have been a loss. After his season there he's worth so much more than that.