Sports Interactive Community
ajw10

Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

I hope Ramsey doesn't start out wide. He's finally got a midfielder who should work well with him in Xhaka. He's better in the middle. Also, if he starts out wide, it most likely means we haven't bought anyone new for that department.

Xhaka and Coquelin for one spot. Elneny, Ramsey and Cazorla for the other. Unless system change Wilshere will mostly play wide, just too many players for 2 spots.

I think Ramsey will play in the middle more - and yes I think Xhaka has been signed to do just that. Especially with Cazorla at 31, he isn't going to start every week nowadays. We found last year, the depth beyond the first XI wasn't strong enough in some positions. We have more variety, and more depth now in a lot of positions. Attack is clearly the weakest now though.

Yeah Ramsey isn't going to be playing out wide with Xhaka in the side.

At least we'll have a more convincing CL group stage campaign with Xhaka. We were awful in midfield against trash sides in Olympiakos and Zagreb.

Matt Spiro ‏@mattspiro 5m5 minutes ago

Wenger has decided to take spending to another level this summer and wants one of Higuain, Morata or Vardy, according to L'Equipe #Arsenal

3 completely different strikers. Would be odd from Wenger.

I hope it's Morata out of those 3

3 completely different strikers. Would be odd from Wenger.

I hope it's Morata out of those 3

I don't know huge amounts about the first 2, haven't seen them play much. From what I have read/heard though Morata seems more technical, so would suit us better.

We're buying Ricardo Rodriguez according to Kicker (and Bild I think). Would be surprised to see us sign a left back.

We're buying Ricardo Rodriguez according to Kicker (and Bild I think). Would be surprised to see us sign a left back.

I'm not. Gibbs hasn't developed enough and isn't going to displace Monreal I don't think.

Rodriguez is going to cost £20m though. And he's not very good

Rodriguez is going to cost £20m though. And he's not very good

If he's not very good, how can he cost 20m? He must have done something right to be rated so highly.

Due to Carvajal injury?

New signing Granit Xhaka will now wear the No 29 shirt next season.

The number has special significance for him as it is the reverse of his year of birth - 92.

Muh

Arsenal don't allow certain numbers. When Bellerin wanted to keep #39 the club told him that it's a youth team number, not a first team one.

Not like Coquelin has any attachment to his various kit numbers.

If he's not very good, how can he cost 20m? He must have done something right to be rated so highly.

£20 million in 'new money' doesn't seem to buy you that much these days.

A Guardian journo is reporting that we've met Vardy's release clause. I really don't want this to be true

I am very intrigued by this. At least by Walcott's impersonation earlier last season there's a basis for success for such a player.

Would like a playmaker after this, the club should definitely sound out Gotze and Isco.

Would like a playmaker after this, the club should definitely sound out Gotze and Isco.

Gotze would be the dream. I'd take a wide playmaker over a striker tbh

Getting both would be lovely even if the striker is Vardy. We do need the numbers.

david ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 2m2 minutes ago

arsenal have triggered jamie vardy release clause & in talks with leicester to sign the striker.

its happening.

It's not something I really wanted to happen. Think we'd have all preferred Mahrez or Kante if signing anyone from Leicester, but I trust the staff and scouts.

Amount of work and stats they must have on Vardy to say "yep, we want him" will be ridiculous.

Decided that I'm ok with it ONLY if we use the money saved on a Morata type to sign a wide playmaker

Decided that I'm ok with it ONLY if we use the money saved on a Morata type to sign a wide playmaker

My feelings on this too

I thought it was obvious the problem was in the centre? After Cazorla's injury we started to get worse and worse and nothing Wenger tried was helping. In many games we looked like having no midfield at all, noone to control the game, just 4-5 players forward waiting for the ball, we stopped being dangerous from counter attacks etc.

Ok, maybe Cazorla's going to stay fit all season but he's not getting younger.

I thought it was obvious the problem was in the centre? After Cazorla's injury we started to get worse and worse and nothing Wenger tried was helping. In many games we looked like having no midfield at all, noone to control the game, just 4-5 players forward waiting for the ball, we stopped being dangerous from counter attacks etc.

Ok, maybe Cazorla's going to stay fit all season but he's not getting younger.

1) LOL at the Cazorla suggestion, our issues there were evident way before his injury

2) have you missed the Xhaka signing?

1.No they were not. I know he was moved from your 'liked' to 'hated' group for some reason, but with him in the team we had our best spell last season. Not to mention the season before.

2. I know nothing about Xhaka, from what I read here and there, his game is based on aggression and he's best at defending and not at controlling play - that would mean he is an upgrade on Coquelin and not a younger Arteta/a stronger Cazorla. But of course I would love him to be a solution - as I said I don't know the player but what was advertised wasn't exactly what I believe is needed.

But since you appear to know him better - do you think he could be effective paired with Ramsey? Or Wilshere?

So we didn't get tore apart by Spurs with Cazorla in the side? We didn't consistently struggle whilst being adequately pressed with Cazorla/Coquelin? Must have imagined that then.

Xhaka is not like Coquelin ffs, he's excellent on the ball. Xhaka/Ramsey seems like the best bet and probably close to the Arteta/Ramsey duo (which was the last great CM partnership we've had)

We struggle while adequately pressed (probably just like almost any team in football) I agree of course, and yes, Cazorla's presence was not preventing this. He was helping organize the play, especially in the transition. For me the simple thing was we were able to use quick attack with him, we struggled at it when he got injured. We scored all 5 goals at Leicester from counter attacks.

Of course if Xhaka is going to be so good at the ball then great, as I said I don't know him.

Cazorla played alongside Arteta in the 5-2, so not sure that backs up your assertion on how good Cazorla is at controlling the tempo.

But he didn't have Arteta in 3-0 vs MU.

But that's not important, the thing is you indirectly agreed with my original point that there was a huge problem deep in the centre of midfield. You believe it will be addressed by Xhaka and I hope you're right.

The way this window is unfolding then next season has to be Wenger's last season.

Stats from the end of March:

Chances created per game with Cazorla: 6.13

Chances conceded per game with Cazorla: 0.37

Chances created without Cazorla: 4.77

Chances conceded without Cazorla: 0.63

Stats from mid January:

Passes: with Cazorla 542, without Cazorla 489

Completed passes: with 464, without 409

Shots: with 17, without 12

Shots allowed: with 11, without 16

Goals per game: with 1.71, without 1.86

Goals allowed: with 0.86, without 1.29

I'm not suggesting Cazorla is the best CM in the world, or even the best in the league. I'm not suggesting there weren't problems with our midfield when Cazorla was playing. But he's our best passer from central midfield, our best short-range dribbler from central midfield, and our most consistently adept player at breaking the press from central midfield. His injury completely destroyed the balance in the team last season, to my mind at any rate.

Don't get the apprehension for Vardy in here. I actually liked the guy a couple of seasons ago before he started banging them in. He's the sort of striker up top we've been crying out for to help transform our game.

Stats from the end of March:

Chances created per game with Cazorla: 6.13

Chances conceded per game with Cazorla: 0.37

Chances created without Cazorla: 4.77

Chances conceded without Cazorla: 0.63

Stats from mid January:

Passes: with Cazorla 542, without Cazorla 489

Completed passes: with 464, without 409

Shots: with 17, without 12

Shots allowed: with 11, without 16

Goals per game: with 1.71, without 1.86

Goals allowed: with 0.86, without 1.29

I'm not suggesting Cazorla is the best CM in the world, or even the best in the league. I'm not suggesting there weren't problems with our midfield when Cazorla was playing. But he's our best passer from central midfield, our best short-range dribbler from central midfield, and our most consistently adept player at breaking the press from central midfield. His injury completely destroyed the balance in the team last season, to my mind at any rate.

That is absolutely 100% spot on. This is the biggest issue we had tactically last season. We just couldn't play out effectively in a number of games. Particularly the away game at Man Utd. They stood off our centre backs and just stopped us playing out to Ramsey and Coquelin who just couldn't beat the press, or receive under pressure.

Don't get the apprehension for Vardy in here. I actually liked the guy a couple of seasons ago before he started banging them in. He's the sort of striker up top we've been crying out for to help transform our game.

Yes, considering their lack of relative success recently I can't see why Arsenal fans seem to be arrogantly turning their nose up at players like Vardy and Kante when they're mentioned. Both would improve your team.

Great for Leicester but not sure I can see him at Arsenal chasing balls over the top

Feels like the 'missing piece of the puzzle' that won't really help solve the puzzle, a la Franny Jeffers

Who knows, Sanchez and Ozil around slipping balls in here and there, maybe he'll do better than we all expect but just feels like an un-Arsenal type move

Yes, considering their lack of relative success recently I can't see why Arsenal fans seem to be arrogantly turning their nose up at players like Vardy and Kante when they're mentioned. Both would improve your team.

Why is it arrogant to think a player won't be a good signing or suit your team? There are people who don't think Higuain will be a good signing either, is that arrogant too? Football fans in strong opinions on players shocker!