Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not something I really wanted to happen. Think we'd have all preferred Mahrez or Kante if signing anyone from Leicester, but I trust the staff and scouts.

Amount of work and stats they must have on Vardy to say "yep, we want him" will be ridiculous.

I thought it was obvious the problem was in the centre? After Cazorla's injury we started to get worse and worse and nothing Wenger tried was helping. In many games we looked like having no midfield at all, noone to control the game, just 4-5 players forward waiting for the ball, we stopped being dangerous from counter attacks etc.

Ok, maybe Cazorla's going to stay fit all season but he's not getting younger.

I thought it was obvious the problem was in the centre? After Cazorla's injury we started to get worse and worse and nothing Wenger tried was helping. In many games we looked like having no midfield at all, noone to control the game, just 4-5 players forward waiting for the ball, we stopped being dangerous from counter attacks etc.

Ok, maybe Cazorla's going to stay fit all season but he's not getting younger.

1) LOL at the Cazorla suggestion, our issues there were evident way before his injury

2) have you missed the Xhaka signing?

1.No they were not. I know he was moved from your 'liked' to 'hated' group for some reason, but with him in the team we had our best spell last season. Not to mention the season before.

2. I know nothing about Xhaka, from what I read here and there, his game is based on aggression and he's best at defending and not at controlling play - that would mean he is an upgrade on Coquelin and not a younger Arteta/a stronger Cazorla. But of course I would love him to be a solution - as I said I don't know the player but what was advertised wasn't exactly what I believe is needed.

But since you appear to know him better - do you think he could be effective paired with Ramsey? Or Wilshere?

So we didn't get tore apart by Spurs with Cazorla in the side? We didn't consistently struggle whilst being adequately pressed with Cazorla/Coquelin? Must have imagined that then.

Xhaka is not like Coquelin ffs, he's excellent on the ball. Xhaka/Ramsey seems like the best bet and probably close to the Arteta/Ramsey duo (which was the last great CM partnership we've had)

We struggle while adequately pressed (probably just like almost any team in football) I agree of course, and yes, Cazorla's presence was not preventing this. He was helping organize the play, especially in the transition. For me the simple thing was we were able to use quick attack with him, we struggled at it when he got injured. We scored all 5 goals at Leicester from counter attacks.

Of course if Xhaka is going to be so good at the ball then great, as I said I don't know him.

But he didn't have Arteta in 3-0 vs MU.

But that's not important, the thing is you indirectly agreed with my original point that there was a huge problem deep in the centre of midfield. You believe it will be addressed by Xhaka and I hope you're right.

Stats from the end of March:

Chances created per game with Cazorla: 6.13

Chances conceded per game with Cazorla: 0.37

Chances created without Cazorla: 4.77

Chances conceded without Cazorla: 0.63

Stats from mid January:

Passes: with Cazorla 542, without Cazorla 489

Completed passes: with 464, without 409

Shots: with 17, without 12

Shots allowed: with 11, without 16

Goals per game: with 1.71, without 1.86

Goals allowed: with 0.86, without 1.29

I'm not suggesting Cazorla is the best CM in the world, or even the best in the league. I'm not suggesting there weren't problems with our midfield when Cazorla was playing. But he's our best passer from central midfield, our best short-range dribbler from central midfield, and our most consistently adept player at breaking the press from central midfield. His injury completely destroyed the balance in the team last season, to my mind at any rate.

Don't get the apprehension for Vardy in here. I actually liked the guy a couple of seasons ago before he started banging them in. He's the sort of striker up top we've been crying out for to help transform our game.

Stats from the end of March:

Chances created per game with Cazorla: 6.13

Chances conceded per game with Cazorla: 0.37

Chances created without Cazorla: 4.77

Chances conceded without Cazorla: 0.63

Stats from mid January:

Passes: with Cazorla 542, without Cazorla 489

Completed passes: with 464, without 409

Shots: with 17, without 12

Shots allowed: with 11, without 16

Goals per game: with 1.71, without 1.86

Goals allowed: with 0.86, without 1.29

I'm not suggesting Cazorla is the best CM in the world, or even the best in the league. I'm not suggesting there weren't problems with our midfield when Cazorla was playing. But he's our best passer from central midfield, our best short-range dribbler from central midfield, and our most consistently adept player at breaking the press from central midfield. His injury completely destroyed the balance in the team last season, to my mind at any rate.

That is absolutely 100% spot on. This is the biggest issue we had tactically last season. We just couldn't play out effectively in a number of games. Particularly the away game at Man Utd. They stood off our centre backs and just stopped us playing out to Ramsey and Coquelin who just couldn't beat the press, or receive under pressure.

Don't get the apprehension for Vardy in here. I actually liked the guy a couple of seasons ago before he started banging them in. He's the sort of striker up top we've been crying out for to help transform our game.

Yes, considering their lack of relative success recently I can't see why Arsenal fans seem to be arrogantly turning their nose up at players like Vardy and Kante when they're mentioned. Both would improve your team.

Great for Leicester but not sure I can see him at Arsenal chasing balls over the top

Feels like the 'missing piece of the puzzle' that won't really help solve the puzzle, a la Franny Jeffers

Who knows, Sanchez and Ozil around slipping balls in here and there, maybe he'll do better than we all expect but just feels like an un-Arsenal type move

Yes, considering their lack of relative success recently I can't see why Arsenal fans seem to be arrogantly turning their nose up at players like Vardy and Kante when they're mentioned. Both would improve your team.

Why is it arrogant to think a player won't be a good signing or suit your team? There are people who don't think Higuain will be a good signing either, is that arrogant too? Football fans in strong opinions on players shocker!

Great for Leicester but not sure I can see him at Arsenal chasing balls over the top

Feels like the 'missing piece of the puzzle' that won't really help solve the puzzle, a la Franny Jeffers

Who knows, Sanchez and Ozil around slipping balls in here and there, maybe he'll do better than we all expect but just feels like an un-Arsenal type move

Only a tiny percentage of his goals came from long balls over the top.

Why is it arrogant to think a player won't be a good signing or suit your team? There are people who don't think Higuain will be a good signing either, is that arrogant too? Football fans in strong opinions on players shocker!

Yes! Higuain>Giroud. Both him and Vardy are better finishers, Arsenal need someone to finish the chances they create.

And imho Vardy is better than Giroud too, or as is more likely in Wenger's thinking, a more reliable version of Welbeck.

In fairness I've seen plenty of non-Arsenal fans both on here and elsewhere who don't think Vardy will be a success at Arsenal either. I'm not sure myself. It's a very un-Arsenal signing but it is at the very least a sign of some kind of ambition from Wenger and co. I think at the very least he'll fill in very well for Welbeck who will miss all of this season. If he's half as good as he was last season then it will be difficult for Welbeck to get back in the side too.

We need a striker desperately and there are just not many in the market unless we want to get into a 50m+ bidding wars with bigger clubs who will pay higher wages.

Our options were slim and Vardy is something we just don't have.

Providing we still get someone else in this could be the best move for all parties really. I don't see us giving him a better offer as he doesn't really warrant being paid near what Ozil and Alexis are on. But yeah, as long as we still get someone else in. If not, well...

Telegraph says this, Mirror says that, AFCCamdenTownLad has been told something. It's all ********, none of these tabloids/ITKs really know what's going on, the amount of info they are fed is a tiny fraction of what actually goes on behind the scenes so you are best off not trying to follow it like it's some sort of soap opera. What will be will be.

“I admire and like N’Golo Kanté a lot. It gives you ideas,” Wenger told beIN Sports. “He gives you the feeling that the higher the level he plays at, the more at ease he is.

“We are talking about numbers. He has the most interceptions in Europe and by far.

“He has incredible quality. He feels the game, only very few people can do that. He’s always where he needs to be.

“It is very rare to have that in the central midfielder. Not always orthodox, but always in the right place.”

hmmmmmmmm

Archived