Sports Interactive Community
ajw10

Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

Walcott, Giroud and Campbell. No Ozil. Ox at number 10, with Flamini holding.

I am feeling like a proper meltdown tonight gents. I'm done if Spurs win the league this year. You really couldn't make it up. In fact you almost have to laugh, it's so tragic.

What's so saddening is that this team seemed to promise so much, yet we've been let down not through an injury crisis or a big spending rich rival or a bit of misfortune but solely through our own ineptitude and our own mismanagement. And not only that but worst of all, Tottenham may very well win the league this year having done what we've been trying to do for ten years.

It's devastating and ultimately the buck has to stop with the manager and the people around him. I've bought into the whole theory/philosophy or whatever it is we have been doing over the last decade but am suddenly so alienated right now. The club stinks atm, the atmosphere is woeful and it's seriously harming us across the board - fans and players are apathetic when we really have needed the complete opposite. Hard to see where to go next.

Are they gonna invent a day for finishing above you now?
Well I think they should wait until they've done it at least 10 years in a row.

the worst part about ****ing st totteringham's day is that it was in fact a response to our whole appalling st hotspur day in the first place many years ago. xking

let's hope we've learned a little bit of humility since.

(spoiler: we haven't. see: mind the gap. still not ready until it's mathematically impossible for arsenal to overtake us. :D)

I'm not even annoyed at Spurs being above us. Just disappointed. Think I've accepted it for a while now. I don't begrudge them it all really - they deserve it and have been a far better team not just in terms of results, but style too. Poch's done a great job. Doesn't change the fact that it will be absolutely horrible seeing them finish above us though, almost unthinkable to try and think how I'd feel if they do win the league, but tbf they look 5 times more up for it than we have at any point this season.

Are you really comparing a draw in January to Spurs win today?
I'm not accepting that as a good point. We've not won in 2 and the performance was terrible.

Amazing.

Are you really comparing a draw in January to Spurs win today?

It's more of a dig at the players and manager on what they perceived as a great result!

I'm not even annoyed at Spurs being above us. Just disappointed. Think I've accepted it for a while now. I don't begrudge them it all really - they deserve it and have been a far better team not just in terms of results, but style too. Poch's done a great job. Doesn't change the fact that it will be absolutely horrible seeing them finish above us though, almost unthinkable to try and think how I'd feel if they do win the league, but tbf they look 5 times more up for it than we have at any point this season.

Yes, I totally agree. Much as I hate to say it, they've displayed the qualities that I feel are missing from this current Arsenal side and that's what makes it even worse. It's horrible to contemplate the notion of them winning the league, but if they do I can't begrudge them it in any sensible way beyond my lifelong hatred of them.

I won't be sorry to see a number of the players and the manager depart. Of course it won't happen because we'll have the same manager arrogantly ignoring the fans and the same set of players with maybe one addition if we're lucky and the whole sorry spectacle can repeat itself all over again.

Q: If Arsenal had Kane up-front all season, would you have won the league? I think so.

I think our problems are a lot deeper than just one player or one position. Kane upfront certainly would've helped though.

Q: If Arsenal had Kane up-front all season, would you have won the league? I think so.

Nope. The only person from Spurs that would give us a much greater chance of winning the league is Pochettino.

Nope. Doesn't fix the disarray the midfield was in. You could stick Suarez up there and we probably still don't win the league. Little point having a good striker if you can't put them into a position to succeed.

Side note on Kane, not sure he would necessarily be the most effective striker for Arsenal. We would probable be better off with someone who is quicker and can get in behind more. PEA would be a better option

With the number of chances we've created this season, it cannot be debated a better goalscorer upfront would have helped us.

Moving on to an actual debate, Kane would be a more effective striker. Very good hold up play, mobile enough to work the channels but also puts the hard work in to get back into goal scoring positions, eye for a pass, he would do most things a lot better than Giroud. This is a bit pointless though seeing as there is 0.000% chance Kane will ever play for us.

My point about Kane wasn't that he wouldn't be more effective than Giroud, as he clearly would be. It was pointing out that we benefit greatly from having quicker strikers. Hence Walcott being effective despite clearly being an inferior striker to Giroud.

Nope. Doesn't fix the disarray the midfield was in. You could stick Suarez up there and we probably still don't win the league. Little point having a good striker if you can't put them into a position to succeed.

Side note on Kane, not sure he would necessarily be the most effective striker for Arsenal. We would probable be better off with someone who is quicker and can get in behind more. PEA would be a better option

KAne, maybe not, but Suarez, I'd fancy our chances. I don't think people realize what a difference an in-form world-class no.9 would make to our team, or any team for that matter.

We create more chances that anyone in the league. Put Suarez in there, and he could probably do a repeat of his 30 goals season.

Suarez dragged a Liverpool team, far worse than ours (talk about bad defense!) closer to the title than Wenger ever did with a superior squad. Put an injury-free Suarez in our team, and I'd put my rent money on us winning the league.

Arsène's Son ‏@hughwizzy 3h3 hours ago

Özil's created 269 chances during his three seasons in the Premier League and only 32 have been converted. #Arsenal

KAne, maybe not, but Suarez, I'd fancy our chances. I don't think people realize what a difference an in-form world-class no.9 would make to our team, or any team for that matter.

We create more chances that anyone in the league. Put Suarez in there, and he could probably do a repeat of his 30 goals season.

Suarez dragged a Liverpool team, far worse than ours (talk about bad defense!) closer to the title than Wenger ever did with a superior squad. Put an injury-free Suarez in our team, and I'd put my rent money on us winning the league.

The problem with this is that it requires us to consistently be able to create those chances and play well. We don't do that. Suarez wouldn't alter that. That Liverpool team whilst it couldn't defend had an attacking structure which functioned. We don't have that. It had pressing. We don't have that. Even with all of that I don't think that Liverpool team would have won as many games again. I think to a large extent they got away with their bad defence through luck rather than just merely out-gunning the opposition repeatedly.

Arsène's Son ‏@hughwizzy 3h3 hours ago

Özil's created 269 chances during his three seasons in the Premier League and only 32 have been converted. #Arsenal

Meh. This season the chances he created should have led to about 12 assists. He has 18.

I recommend giving arseblog a read today - just nice to remember despite the issues we're having.

I recommend giving arseblog a read today - just nice to remember despite the issues we're having.

Yes, I read that earlier, quite an emotive piece

The problem with this is that it requires us to consistently be able to create those chances and play well. We don't do that. Suarez wouldn't alter that. That Liverpool team whilst it couldn't defend had an attacking structure which functioned. We don't have that. It had pressing. We don't have that. Even with all of that I don't think that Liverpool team would have won as many games again. I think to a large extent they got away with their bad defence through luck rather than just merely out-gunning the opposition repeatedly.

Meh. This season the chances he created should have led to about 12 assists. He has 18.

I don't quite understand this. While anyone can see that our team is very disjointed, it cannot be denied that through whatever means (chemistry from playing together, having superior players, luck, etc) we have created more chances than anyone in the league. Our attackers have been given the scoring chances to match the likes of Mahrez and Kane. How would a striker who can convert those chances, not greatly improve our points tally? Yeah we suck, but we still manage to create chances even when not playing well. If we had a Suarez or an Aguero, then we'd be scoring goals despite not playing well.

That's what world-class players do. They perform in spite of the circumstances. Ozil has been creating chances despite how dysfunctional our midfield is. A better striker would be scoring goals despite how poorly the team has been playing. Just look at what RvP did, both for us and for Man Utd.

The thing is, lots of fans won't be old enough to remember a lot of those moments. Important to remember when you next see a 20 year old raging away.

I don't quite understand this. While anyone can see that our team is very disjointed, it cannot be denied that through whatever means (chemistry from playing together, having superior players, luck, etc) we have created more chances than anyone in the league. Our attackers have been given the scoring chances to match the likes of Mahrez and Kane. How would a striker who can convert those chances, not greatly improve our points tally? Yeah we suck, but we still manage to create chances even when not playing well. If we had a Suarez or an Aguero, then we'd be scoring goals despite not playing well.

That's what world-class players do. They perform in spite of the circumstances. Ozil has been creating chances despite how dysfunctional our midfield is. A better striker would be scoring goals despite how poorly the team has been playing. Just look at what RvP did, both for us and for Man Utd.

This post is spot on :thup:

Which one? The Director of the Bored ?

Apparently we are lining up Kostas manolas from Roma to strengthen our defence

Which one? The Director of the Bored ?

"When" - the main blog for yesterday

Looking at the number of created chances is misleading because it completely fails to consider the context. 1) match situation 2) how spread out over matches they were 3) situation of the chance; amongst other things.

It isn't as simple as we created lots of chances, guess we just need a better goalscorer.

"When" - the main blog for yesterday

Yeah - it's obvious now I know :D

When we went to White Hart Lane and they thought that the late penalty, annoying as it was, was enough for them to stop us winning the league but it wasn’t enough to stop us winning the league and we won the league.

When even their players thought the draw was enough. When Thierry Henry remembered:

“I remember Tarrico, jumping around and he got a cramp out of it. Celebrating a draw! And I looked at him and said ‘Are you kidding me?’ And he went, ‘Yeeaaaaaaah!’ jumping in front of me.

“I said to him: ‘You do realise we just needed a point at your place to be champions at your place.’ And he was talking, talking, so I said ‘Watch me after the game.’

“I remember, people were saying do not celebrate. I said ‘WHAT?’ I will celebrate. And you will see how much it’s going to hurt them. “I had to celebrate. They were coming up to me, jumping around like they had won something, so I said, ‘Ok. We were not supposed to celebrate, but now I’m going to celebrate with my fans!”

:cool:

Barney Ronay ‏@barneyronay 1h1 hour ago

You could argue in one way this is Arsene Wenger's greatest, crowning season. Of the 'Big Four' 2004-09 only Arsenal now remain. He wins!

Barney Ronay ‏@barneyronay 1h1 hour ago

I'm other words Arsenal are on course to finish above every other title winning club of the last 55 years. And still they're not happy.

:lol:

Agreed. Hopefully this performance means that Wenger finally gives up on Coquelin and Gabriel

Ramsey:

Most passes (105/114)

Most tackles (7/8)

3/3 take-ons

2nd most chances created (2)

2nd most defensive aerial(!) duels won (3)

If Wenger drops him on Sunday....

Can't make any judgements after playing against a WBA which didn't really care. Need to see this 11 perform over 5, 10, 20 games before declaring them anything.

Of course, but then we were terrible against another side that didn't care in Palace. I think it's entirely fair to draw comparisons between the two games

Draw comparisons, but this squad are full of show ponies and not quite good enoughs, no doubt we'll do well against Sunderland and all the tricks will come out against and everyone will style themselves on Bertie Bigbollocks, just bored of them now, bunch of chancers.

Dropping Coq for Ramsey + Eleny particularly made sense when playing at home against sides we expect to dominate possession. Wonder where Cazorla fits in.

It's also important to keep in mind that we basically won with 2 individual goals, rather than from great teamplay.

Whilst that is true the team play was a lot better than what we had seen in recent months on the most part. Other than the final parts of it.

It is going to be disappointing when Ramsey or Elneny is dropped for Coquelin on the weekend.

Whilst that is true the team play was a lot better than what we had seen in recent months on the most part. Other than the final parts of it.

It is going to be disappointing when Ramsey or Elneny is dropped for Coquelin on the weekend.

Gabriel and Coquelin are definitely coming into the side aren't they?

Is Ramsey by any chance one of them in your view?

The issue I have with Ramsey is I think his operating window is far too narrow. If everything is just right he's superb at what he does, but one thing falls out of alignment and suddenly he's stinking up the joint.

Honestly think Wenger would be better tackling this head on. "I know this isn't good enough, I'm a winner, I want to be 1st more than anyone else, trust me I'm trying my hardest to sort this out" type of stuff. He seems to be almost going out of his way to inflame the fanbase with some of these comments.

Yes, he's basically telling the fans that our performance this season has been good when it's blatantly not the case.

Honestly think Wenger would be better tackling this head on. "I know this isn't good enough' date=' I'm a winner, I want to be 1st more than anyone else, trust me I'm trying my hardest to sort this out" type of stuff. He seems to be almost going out of his way to inflame the fanbase with some of these comments.[/quote']

Agreed. He's never been like that though.

If they wanted to see quality football week in week out that badly they'd go down the road and watch Spurs play.

Wenger is better at trolling Arsenal fans than Spurs fans are.

Gabriel and Coquelin are definitely coming into the side aren't they?

Not Gabriel but I can see Coquelin definitely.

The issue I have with Ramsey is I think his operating window is far too narrow. If everything is just right he's superb at what he does' date=' but one thing falls out of alignment and suddenly he's stinking up the joint.[/quote']

Not sure this is particularly fair. He does well when played on the right or at 10 and CM if he has someone who can pass next to him. When at Cm earlier this season it is often forgotten the front three was missing balance also, lacking Ramsey himself funnily enough.

First time since 2013 we have had the entire squad fit and training together, according to reddit

First time since 2013 we have had the entire squad fit and training together, according to reddit

Diaby was an Arsenal player in 2013 so that can't be true :D