Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who knows how good Gabriel is' date=' there are very few central defenders who would look any good in a Wenger team.[/quote']

There have been quite a few tbh. Gabriel wouldn't look good in any team currently. He is rash, positionally questionable and bad on the ball. It isn't a Wenger issue (other than playing him)

Don't be silly, if you put him in any team where the structure around defending was better, he would obviously look much better.

Everyone gets far too focused with individuals when it comes to defending, when the most important thing is how you're set up and the structure of your team. Been clear for a few seasons now that Wenger's methods are outdated and it's just getting worse.

At the weekend BT were making out Carroll is this unplayable machine who will always score no matter what you do. Bollocks to that, the difficult defending is keeping out the likes of Payet and we did that superbly (because we have defenders on an individual level are really good at dealing with that sort of player.) but it's your structure and the stuff you do on the training ground that keeps out the likes of Carroll and we are one of the worst in the league at that side of things which is shameful really.

Don't be silly' date=' if you put him in any team where the structure around defending was better, he would obviously look much better.

Everyone gets far too focused with individuals when it comes to defending, when the most important thing is how you're set up and the structure of your team. Been clear for a few seasons now that Wenger's methods are outdated and it's just getting worse.

At the weekend BT were making out Carroll is this unplayable machine who will always score no matter what you do. Bollocks to that, [b']the difficult defending is keeping out the likes of Payet and we did that superbly[/b] (because we have defenders on an individual level are really good at dealing with that sort of player.) but it's your structure and the stuff you do on the training ground that keeps out the likes of Carroll and we are one of the worst in the league at that side of things which is shameful really.

Well for me he was the best player on the pitch besides Carroll on Saturday so I don't see how you did that superbly :D

Don't be silly' date=' if you put him in any team where the structure around defending was better, he would obviously look much better.

At the weekend BT were making out Carroll is this unplayable machine who will always score no matter what you do. Bollocks to that, the difficult defending is keeping out the likes of Payet and we did that superbly (because we have defenders on an individual level are really good at dealing with that sort of player.) but it's your structure and the stuff you do on the training ground that keeps out the likes of Carroll and we are one of the worst in the league at that side of things which is shameful really.[/quote']

It isn't obvious and it is patently wrong to say that. Whilst bad defending can be down to bad structure it is also quite likely to be down to players defending badly who damage the structure. The evidence for that here is that Arsenal haven't previously had big problems with Carroll or similar type players when Mertesacker and Koscielny were playing. Yet Gabriel plays and the CBs are struggling. This is coupled with frequent individual errors from Gabriel. Would suggest that it is less the structure and more the player. I don' think Gabriel in his current form would look particularly good in any defensive structure. He is just currently all over the place. He gets too tight, positionally is wrong, makes awful decisions. Those are applicable to any defensive system.

"Clear for a few seasons" pretty sure in some of the more recent seasons we have boasted one of the best defensive records in the league including high number of clean sheets etc. There are problems with structure at Arsenal and defensively however it doesn't relate to penalty box defending which we have generally been very good at over the last few seasons. It is more to do with pressing and defending counter attacks.

13-14 was good defensively ignoring the big game collapse. City away was down to a midfield incapable of protecting the defence (defensive structure + Flamini). Liverpool and Chelsea was destruction by pressing on the most part. We couldn't get the ball out, lose it near to our goal and they are outnumbered. Woj finished with the most clean sheets alongside Cech.

So whilst structural flaws were prevalent in those big defeats it wasn't like the team was defending awfully otherwise or that the whole season was marred by bad defensive structure. The flaw which held us back the most, inability to beat a press and the subsequent counter, isn't even close to the difficulties we faced against Carroll.

12-13 we had the second best defensive record in the league. I have been told many times on twitter that in 10-11 we had the best open play defensive record, no idea if it is accurate. My point is that to say that the coaching methods have been outdated doesn't tally up with the performances. There are defensive issues but not those which correlate with Carroll scoring a hattrick.

Our biggest issue is we don't defend counter attacks well at all because we don't press well when we lose the ball nor do we have a midfield that good at stopping counters. These issues however haven't been troubling Gabriel, he is struggling with balls over the top or basic defending in his own box.

I think our defense in the league is fine for the most part for the same reason our attack is fine in the league for the most part: We have better players than most teams. Even when we look disjointed, one of our attackers usually come up with something. I don't think our defense is that well organized, but individually they're good enough to hold their own and bail each other out against weaker teams.

That's why we sometimes have massive collapse against big teams, like a few years ago. That's why in the UCL, where better organization is needed, we never look solid.

To be fair, he didn't say it'll be limited. He's just saying that it's not easy to get the player we want even if we have the money (the old no better striker available argument of last summer.)

I do take offense with this quote though

"The team is going the right way"

Like....WTF? Seriously? The team is not going in the right way. There is something fundamentally wrong with the team that is preventing us from going in the right way. I have no idea what he's talking about here.

Embarrassing to drop points yet again. How he can come out with the "the team is going in the right way" is pathetic. The only way we're going is down. We'll be lucky to make top four - the thing is I'm not even sure I care if we make it, won't change much next year if we've still got Wenger in charge anyway.

Be pretty funny to see Wenger's outrage if Liverpool win Europa, City win the CL and despite finishing 4th we don't get CL. Although doubtful that we beat City and put them in a position where they won't finish 3rd now anyway.

You being in for the same player is also an excuse for us not to have to sign one.

Surely he has got to go out and buy a CB? He knows that all the other teams around you lot will be doing business. Koscielny picks up the odd injury from time to time to so I think he has to.

Theo and Campbell are both the same. Neither are good enough.

But focusing on Theo misses the point somewhat. Our wonderful manager made 3 dreadful subs.

Giroud coming on was understandable. All of them were actually imo. Walcott was bad when he came on but what other choice would you have done? Giroud was always going to come on. Ramsey too. Walcott/Campbell was always going to be the other one.

Surely he has got to go out and buy a CB? He knows that all the other teams around you lot will be doing business. Koscielny picks up the odd injury from time to time to so I think he has to.

You know that, we know that but there's a massive stumbling block!!!

Commentators are right that the crowd doesn't help in moaning at every mistake tbh

The club doesn't help by making the same ****ing mistakes all the time. It's not the fans fault.

The level of frustration has built up over the years.

Commentators are right that the crowd doesn't help in moaning at every mistake tbh

The crowd are free to show their displeasure, no reason that their support should be unwavering & never negative.

If clubs stop looking at fans as a resource to be exploited (as a means of financial income) then maybe those fans would not be so vocal if the product they are being sold is consistently disappointing, that's not to say fans wouldn't complain if everything was free but that's the deal the club have entered into by charging so much on the basis that they are providing an entertainment product.

Archived