Sports Interactive Community
ajw10

Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

Big fan of Iwobi, finally a wide player with a bit of intelligence?

Big fan of Iwobi, finally a wide player with a bit of intelligence?

As an Arsenal player probably not & if he does show any early signs of football intelligence that'll be coached out of him. :D

Don't think Wenger has ever coached a player out of intelligence but you can try again.

He's not imparted much on players recently, he appears to encourage instinctive play that is beautiful to watch when everything works but I'd say that Arsenal have lacked match intelligence over recent years.

The most gutting thing about that result is that we actually had the chances to somehow pull it.

Need to drop some serious coin on some strikers.

A striker isn't going to win us leagues.

Why is Gabriel still starting games for us?

Why is Gabriel still starting games for us?

Considering goals win games having someone better than Giroud & healthier than Welbeck has to be a priority for you in the summer.

Considering goals win games having someone better than Giroud & healthier than Welbeck has to be a priority for you in the summer.

Nope. The priority has to be CM. And maybe a ball playing CB if Wenger doesn't trust Chambers.

We can't build effective attacks and we don't exploit and defend space to any sort of high standard. We have much more pressing issues than who plays up front.

I don't get the Welbeck comment either. He has had one big injury.

You are kidding yourself if you think the likes of Giroud and Walcott are going to win us the league.

We have much more pressing issues than who plays up front.

Have a look at the number of chances Ozil has created this season. It is just criminal that we don't have anyone in the squad who has cashed in this season and piled up the goals.

You are kidding yourself if you think the likes of Giroud and Walcott are going to win us the league.

No, but Alexis can. We can't win the league with Gabriel and Coquelin.

For me a Cb, Cm and striker are all equally priorities. But the obvious problem remains. Does Wenger recognise that, is he prepared to pay and are there players of the level of quality the fans desire who are prepared to come here?

No, but Alexis can.

Alexis has been dire this season, a very Wenger-esque attitude you are adopting here. Lets get in proven goal scorers and stop doing this thing of "oh player x might come good if we given them long enough". Alexis has had this season playing next to Europe's best playmaker, he hasn't scored the goals we've needed, that's more than enough of a chance, time for us to act like a big club and spend the money required to get in proper goalscorers.

Record has all the hallmarks of a player with the onset of chronic knee problems.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/danny-welbeck/verletzungen/spieler/67063

Five year gap between knee injuries. The patella injury was what he had surgery on, so to my knowledge he's had one serious knee injury at Arsenal, and one serious knee injury in five years.

Forgive me if I'm not ready to label him injury prone just quite yet

For me a Cb, Cm and striker are all equally priorities. But the obvious problem remains. Does Wenger recognise that, is he prepared to pay and are there players of the level of quality the fans desire who are prepared to come here?

Attracting players shouldn't be an issues, the club ticks every box for a player not already at an elite club.

Well, I think there are players out there who can improve this squad who are realistically attainable, we have got some joke players in the squad at the moment.

Alexis has been dire this season' date=' a very Wenger-esque attitude you are adopting here. Lets get in proven goal scorers and stop doing this thing of "oh player x might come good if we given them long enough". Alexis has had this season playing next to Europe's best playmaker, he hasn't scored the goals we've needed, that's more than enough of a chance, time for us to act like a big club and spend the money required to get in proper goalscorers.[/quote']

Right. Well there are clearly factors with Alexis (Our midfield is awful, we are poor at building up attacks and Alexis' pre season was horribly mismanaged). Writing him off is incredibly short sighted. He's clearly an elite player who has had a poor season (by his standards)

And please point me in the direction of one of these amazing 30 goal a season strikers that are better than Alexis.

Wonder what Elneny means for our plans at CM? Because we are probably not going to find a ball playing defensive minded player. Thinking Wenger will get another energetic box to box player to cover Ramsey and convert Elneny properly. I'd probably prioritise a playmaker/dribbler over a striker anyhow. Movement from out side with and without the ball is horrific atm.

Well' date=' I think there are players out there who can improve this squad who are realistically attainable, we have got some joke players in the squad at the moment.[/quote']

Are we going to find a striker as suited to us like Welbeck or someone as good as peak Arteta?

Right. Well there are clearly factors with Alexis (Our midfield is awful, we are poor at building up attacks and Alexis' pre season was horribly mismanaged). Writing him off is incredibly short sighted. He's clearly an elite player who has had a poor season (by his standards)

And please point me in the direction of one of these amazing 30 goal a season strikers that are better than Alexis.

Look at the number of chances we create, are you seriously telling me you are struggling to think of strikers who couldn't score shedloads in this team?

Quite why you are focussing on Alexis here is bizarre as well when its the people we are playing through the centre who we need to be talking about replacing.

Wonder what Elneny means for our plans at CM? Because we are probably not going to find a ball playing defensive minded player. Thinking Wenger will get another energetic box to box player to cover Ramsey and convert Elneny properly. I'd probably prioritise a playmaker/dribbler over a striker anyhow. Movement from out side with and without the ball is horrific atm.

I'm not his biggest fan, but if Isco is available I think we should go for him. I doubt Gotze will leave Bayern as I can see Ancelotti taking a shine to him.

Obviously Kroos is The Dream DM, but he's not coming to Arsenal. Like you, I think he may try to convert Elneny and bring in a 7/10 squad player to take over from Flamini/Arteta.

Cech, Bellerin, Not Gabriel, Koscielny, Monreal, Elneny, Ramsey, Alexis, Ozil, Isco, Welbeck. I like the look of that.

Are we going to find a striker as suited to us like Welbeck or someone as good as peak Arteta?

I don't think someone like Welbeck is that unique, the reason he stands out at the moment is that it's ages since we've had someone up front who actually does the striker thing properly. Plenty of players around who can do what he's doing and in addition be a lot more clinical.

Never been Welbecks biggest fan but I have to admit he has all the attributes to be a top striker, when his brain doesn't get in the way!

Welbeck's brain isn't an issue. His movement isn't great in the box and he doesn't take enough risks. He's just not ruthless enough to be a goalscoring striker.

Alexis has that though, which is why those two work so well together. Welbeck's intelligence and selflessness really allows Alexis to perform.

I like Welbeck but it would be classic Arsenal for us to go into next season with a guy who has never reached double figures as our main striker. Lets behave like a normal club for once ffs.

I don't think someone like Welbeck is that unique' date=' the reason he stands out at the moment is that it's ages since we've had someone up front who actually does the striker thing properly. Plenty of players around who can do what he's doing and in addition be a lot more clinical.[/quote']

Like who? Because it's either journeymen, young inexperienced overpriced players like Martial or the Giroud type which are the new craze. I don't even buy this we create many chances narrative anyway. We create half chances mainly from Özil but let's not kid ourselves this isn't 06/07 levels of clear chances being missed constantly every game. We need better players to create better easier chances simply. A WC striker this season would just bail us out, not be the icing of a well formed cake.

They aren't half chances though, we create so much and have got into so many good positions this season and its been woeful from our frontline.

Higuain and Lukaku would be top of my list for the central role, would hope Arsenal's scouting system has plenty of other targets on the radar as well.

They aren't half chances though' date=' we create so much and have got into so many good positions this season and its been woeful from our frontline.[/quote']

We don't create much. We create one chance a game which is usually missed. A lot comes from set pieces or Özil crosses.

So a bottle job that's build up play isn't great or a raw striker whose first touch is genuinely bad?

We don't create much. We create one chance a game which is usually missed. A lot comes from set pieces or Özil crosses.

Simply not the case? :D Look at how much we created against this Barcelona side over the two legs, and the only goal we scored was Elneny from 30 yards.

Higuain and Lukaku would be top of my list for the central role' date=' would hope Arsenal's scouting system has plenty of other targets on the radar as well.[/quote']

Higuain like its 2013 and Lukaku hahahaha. Should have just paid 30m for Benteke and his **** first touch instead of Arsene potentially paying 50m for Lukaku and his even worse first touch. Very Arsenal. Very Wenger.

So a bottle job that's build up play isn't great or a raw striker whose first touch is genuinely bad?

You appear to be talking about Giroud for some reason with your first comment, and Walcott with the second comment.

Bottle jobs and raw strikers with the stats Higuain and Lukaku have I'm happy to take.

Higuain like its 2013 and Lukaku hahahaha. Should have just paid 30m for Benteke and his **** first touch instead of Arsene potentially paying 50m for Lukaku and his even worse first touch. Very Arsenal. Very Wenger.

Should have signed Higuain in 2013, awful decision not to. And confused by the Lukaku thing when he's a proven PL goalscorer.

But sure lets persist with Giroud and Walcott season after ****ing season. Awful attitude.

Charlie Austin is a proven Premier League goalscorer. Lets sign him. Or even Jamie Vardy.

Lukaku has scored goals for an Everton side that is near enough perfect for him. There's less pressure, teams tend to attack more and Everton play to his strengths. It's also weird how we weren't hearing about how wonderful he is last season when he scored 10 goals in 36 games. (Giroud got 14 goals in 9 fewer games)

At Arsenal he'd have to play against more packed defenses and every single game he plays would be scrutinised. Also, Arsenal won't play completely to his strengths. And his first touch is genuinely terrible, so he'd be an awful fit for this side.

It's so lazy to assume he'd excel and score goals just because he has done well at Everton and West Brom.

I'm sure Özil would appreciate Lukaku killing moves constantly because his touch is erratic. Well known that Arsenal got ****ed over the Higuain deal then. And also no one is saying persist with Giroud and Walcott but the chances of getting someone who'd be a clear no1 option is so unlikely it's better that Wenger prioritises other parts of the side instead.

laughing at lukaku as if he isn't a remarkable improvement on olivier giroud and danny welbeck :D

How much of Lukaku have you seen this season?

song i see what you're saying but everton play very possession heavy and close quarter football too though in reality. but even still why not shift the style around a little to fit in what someone like lukaku brings? teams would need to either double up on him letting your hordes of attacking midfielders play around more or he gets to dominate.

song i see what you're saying but everton play very possession heavy and close quarter football too though in reality. but even still why not shift the style around a little to fit in what someone like lukaku brings? teams would need to either double up on him letting your hordes of attacking midfielders play around more or he gets to dominate.

I'd rather shift the style to suit the team and not just someone as inconsistent as Lukaku. I still maintain that having an actual settled and cohesive midfield would be more beneficial than a striker. And whilst I can see what benefit Lukaku's physical prowess brings, a man with movement and a first touch as poor as his is not going to cut it at the highest level.

I'll actually expand on this. We had arguably the best striker in the world from 2011 to the summer of 2012. And we won **** all. Why? Because the rest of the team was so disjointed.

Because like playing with Giroud it gets predictable at the higher level and teams get creative to stop a team who play through one singular target, that's why Arsenal need someone like Welbeck who can defer play to others or just runs the channels looking for that long angled pass behind the defence.

Charlie Austin is a proven Premier League goalscorer. Lets sign him. Or even Jamie Vardy.

Charlie Austin has played in the PL for one season, Vardy two and he was pretty terrible last season. Next.

Lukaku has scored goals for an Everton side that is near enough perfect for him. There's less pressure, teams tend to attack more and Everton play to his strengths. It's also weird how we weren't hearing about how wonderful he is last season when he scored 10 goals in 36 games. (Giroud got 14 goals in 9 fewer games)

At Arsenal he'd have to play against more packed defenses and every single game he plays would be scrutinised. Also, Arsenal won't play completely to his strengths. And his first touch is genuinely terrible, so he'd be an awful fit for this side.

It's so lazy to assume he'd excel and score goals just because he has done well at Everton and West Brom.

He's 22 which is incredibly young for that type of player, he knows how to score goals, he is strong, he has pace, he is good in the air, he is much better at lot of the target man stuff than Giroud is, and also you have to back the coaching staff to make a player better.

He might turnout to be terrible, you might be right, but we are never as a club going to be able to sign an Aguero type striker when they are at their peak, we are going to have to gamble on an up and coming striker (like we did with Henry, all the objections you are raising to Lukaku you would have been raising back 15 odd years ago when we signed Henry). But lets ****ing find out rather than watching Giroud go through the same motions every season. Just bored of it now.

yeah but so does lukaku? so many of his goals for everton are him running through channels from wide for that exact sort of pass. i'm not claiming his link up play matches up to giroud's by any means but... so what? you have literally every other player able to move the ball around quickly and lukaku is the destination moving about and defences with him letting you do that. obviously oversimplifying it here because the problem isn't isolated to strikers alone but bringing someone who not only gets goals but also hassles defences that would let ozil more space to find alexis roaming in the final third or ramsey pushing up etc, seems like a pretty great solution for me instead of a really compact approach you guys have now although i do like welbz as an alternate or plan b to be fair.

When was the last exciting up and coming world football talent we signed ? Honestly think it might be as long ago as Reyes. We sort of flutter our eyelashes these days at the likes of Draxler but then we bottle out of actually doing anything.