Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

Many years ago I was trying to convince Arsenal supporting friends that allowing Wenger to leave for Madrid when all that talk was going about was a good move for the club, that still hasn't changed as the club have not progressed & there are no signs that Wenger has the answers.

If being a short odds also-ran is acceptable then keeping Wenger is the way to go, a club the size of Arsenal should be more ambitious but I've always held the view that many of the supporters & more importantly the management are/were too fearful of change, they are the prototypical Premier League gravy train outfit that will not risk a drop in income when there is no tangible financial gain for winning trophies.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know what our conversion rate is at the moment? It feels like we need to create 10 good chances for one goal. I mean, we're still creating chances, we're just not finishing them off. The difference between our conversion rate, and the league average must be massive, I'd imagine. We always seem to create better chances first, fail to score, then concede. I mean, the difference between going ahead and chasing the game, game after game, is pretty big.

And in every striker comparison thread, it's always the Arsenal fans going "scoring goals is not everything for a striker" :D

Yes Arsenal should be challenging for the title nearly every season. Since the last time Arsenal won the league United have won 5 titles, Chelsea 4 and City 2.

The paymasters say there is money to spend yet the gaping holes that existed 3 seasons ago still exist. It's made all the worse when you consider that Leicster might just win it with a fraction of the budget Arsenal have.

I have to say I don't really get the anti-Wenger vibes. I don't support Arsenal and I don't particularly like Wenger but I am puzzled at the willingness of so many Arsenal fans to see him go after everything he has done for the club. I think you will comfortably finish in the top four and even if you are not challenging for the league title this year, even if you you go out of the Champions League this week (which looks likely), you will not be far off and still have the Champions League and another tilt at the cups and league next year.

If Wenger leaves, there is no guarantee that in the change-over turmoil that a different manager brings that he will keep you in the top four. I think it would be a huge gamble.

This kind of mentality is why Arsenal will never win the league again under Wenger.

And in every striker comparison thread, it's always the Arsenal fans going "scoring goals is not everything for a striker" :D

It's not just the strikers though. Eleny couldn't convert two good chances against Watford. Not even testing the GK really. Sanchez and Ramsey have probably been more guilty than anyone. Ramsey is getting just as many chances as ever, but he simply isn't finishing like he was 2 seasons ago. Even Monreal lol. Giroud his usual inconsistent self (could see it coming from a mile away, but now that Welbeck is back, maybe he can be rested now.)

Seriously though, it's like the entire team just forgot how to finish. I don't know what's up.

For almost a decade we've argued in this thread between ourselves, with people, including myself, vehemently defending Wenger saying how we can't realistically compete with oil money at City, blood money at Chelsea, commercial money at United - yet this season all three of those teams have been much worse than us and we've somehow still fallen short of what it takes to win the title. Liverpool partly disproved Wenger's arguments about not being able to compete a few seasons ago - they eventually fell short of winning the league, but Leicester City have proven this season that all this time Wenger was talking ****. They're about to win the league, not with oil money, not blood money, not commercial money - but crisp money.

I genuinely believe that Leicester and Spurs could both lose their last 8 games (they obviously won't but playing devil's advocate) and we still wouldn't win the league. West Ham would probably end up winning it.

This team that Wenger has assembled is full of mentally weak spineless bottlers. Our players are the sort to Instagram or Tweet something like "RARING TO GO FOR THE GAME TODAY!!!" then in the game itself they don't show up - no fight, no spine, no bottle. The majority of our players are basically the thirsty guys who message girls on Tinder stuff like "I'm gonna ****ing destroy you tonight. You won't get any sleep tonight ;) x" then when it comes down to it they last 10 seconds.

They're about to win the league, not with oil money, not blood money, not commercial money - but crisp money.

Let's be honest, you wrote that whole rant just to say that line... didn't you! :D

I have to say I don't really get the anti-Wenger vibes. I don't support Arsenal and I don't particularly like Wenger but I am puzzled at the willingness of so many Arsenal fans to see him go after everything he has done for the club. I think you will comfortably finish in the top four and even if you are not challenging for the league title this year, even if you you go out of the Champions League this week (which looks likely), you will not be far off and still have the Champions League and another tilt at the cups and league next year.

If Wenger leaves, there is no guarantee that in the change-over turmoil that a different manager brings that he will keep you in the top four. I think it would be a huge gamble.

Leicester are about to win the league and you are saying that Wenger is doing a good job?

I can't even claim credit for it, shamelessly stolen from an ArsenalFanTV interview with that guy who made the Wenger banner. It is a bloody great line though :D

I've just found out the King Power isn't what the KP abbreviation in KP Nuts is for... so the Crisp-Nut Axis of Evil doesn't even hold true :(

I don't want to watch it but I will. I'm just hoping we don't embarrass ourselves.

This. I can't help but watch it.

I think it might be a draw, just like it was in the 2nd leg game of Barca vs Valencia?

I don't know the press conferences have worried me. They're all talking about how we're gonna go and attack them. I mean yeah in theory that's better than a defeatist attitude and it would be amazing if the first 20 minutes went like the game against United at the Emirates, but we're at the Nou Camp and dreadfully out off form. If by attack them they mean leave a stupidly high line and not bother defending then it could be like Chelsea and Liverpool thrashing us again.

Big fan of Iwobi, finally a wide player with a bit of intelligence?

As an Arsenal player probably not & if he does show any early signs of football intelligence that'll be coached out of him. :D

He's not imparted much on players recently, he appears to encourage instinctive play that is beautiful to watch when everything works but I'd say that Arsenal have lacked match intelligence over recent years.

A striker isn't going to win us leagues.

Why is Gabriel still starting games for us?

Considering goals win games having someone better than Giroud & healthier than Welbeck has to be a priority for you in the summer.

Considering goals win games having someone better than Giroud & healthier than Welbeck has to be a priority for you in the summer.

Nope. The priority has to be CM. And maybe a ball playing CB if Wenger doesn't trust Chambers.

We can't build effective attacks and we don't exploit and defend space to any sort of high standard. We have much more pressing issues than who plays up front.

I don't get the Welbeck comment either. He has had one big injury.

No, but Alexis can.

Alexis has been dire this season, a very Wenger-esque attitude you are adopting here. Lets get in proven goal scorers and stop doing this thing of "oh player x might come good if we given them long enough". Alexis has had this season playing next to Europe's best playmaker, he hasn't scored the goals we've needed, that's more than enough of a chance, time for us to act like a big club and spend the money required to get in proper goalscorers.

Record has all the hallmarks of a player with the onset of chronic knee problems.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/danny-welbeck/verletzungen/spieler/67063

Five year gap between knee injuries. The patella injury was what he had surgery on, so to my knowledge he's had one serious knee injury at Arsenal, and one serious knee injury in five years.

Forgive me if I'm not ready to label him injury prone just quite yet

For me a Cb, Cm and striker are all equally priorities. But the obvious problem remains. Does Wenger recognise that, is he prepared to pay and are there players of the level of quality the fans desire who are prepared to come here?

Attracting players shouldn't be an issues, the club ticks every box for a player not already at an elite club.

Archived