Sports Interactive Community
ajw10

Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

Thanks a lot you bottlers cost me 50 quid lol.

Cost me £100.

You could say Arsenal are unreliable, but there is a certain predictability about them.

Sy and DJ are banned you won't get much of a meltdown in here really. For anyone desperate for a hilarious meltdown I would suggest going back a page or two in the United thread.

hit the woodwork 3 times, ref poor for their first, but we were so bad :(

Cech's done his hamstring going up for that corner :D :D :D

Confirmed that Ospina starts on Sunday :D

Ok I'll start. It won't be what the audience is expecting I'm afraid but then again I am sure they will get what they came for eventually.

The whole situation could be and perhaps should be analysed in wider perspective of club management, player handling and selection etc. But I will just address some details.

1. We've been playing badly starting at Christmas, with that Southamption defeat. We were lucky on some occasions like Newcastle, we were decent in some games like Barcelona to a certain point but generally something was wrong, we didn't look like hitting some sort of form. We were one man team at some stage and maybe that carried us through late autumn period but something changed around Christmas.

2. The first months of the season it looked to confirm the team was being built with the thought of a rapid counter attack being its main asset. If you go back to the win away at Leicester, I think all 5 goals were scored after quick, precise counters. It suited us very well IMO. At some point, I think it was the time we looked like real favourites to win the title, it seemed to to have completely change. We started to go all out forward with 4 players totally committed to attack. At the same time we started to get ourselves exposed the 13/14 style, with teams often running with 4-5 players at our 2 CBs and maybe a mispositioned DM. For me this is no coincidence.

3. We are poor defensively and actually do not have an effective midfield. Don't want to start a Ramsey discussion, the thing is he has been playing well (apart from finishing ofc) but I have a feeling it is not helping the team much. Maybe he's not really ready to be the CM in this team and be better played out wide. Yeah, I know some will say this team is not ready for him being the CM in it, but then again the so criticised Cazorla was doing extremely well as a CM in this team. I said last year Cazorla was the one who is going to be hardest to replace in our new system and it seems to have been true.

4. Wenger's stubbornness and sticking to his 'original concepts'. Campbell was and is in good form yet in many recent games he was omitted or Walcott or even Iwobi preferred to him. Just because Theo is ranked higher. I am a big fan of Walcott but since return from injury he has been mostly useless. Yet Wenger refuses to take form into consideration when he has his principles like playing Ramsey/Sanchez/now Walcott no matter what. I believe it cost us a few points.

5. Gabriel is not good enough and probably will never be.

All that said, what has recently happened is just absolutely unbelievable and unacceptable.

Cech's done his hamstring going up for that corner :D :D :D

Confirmed that Ospina starts on Sunday :D

The match is Saturday anyway :rolleyes:

First half wasn't too bad and we were somewhat unlucky to concede considering the foul, second half though was nothing short of a disgrace!

Cost me £100.

I did ****ing warn you.

Missed the game, probably won't bother for the rest of the season. Supporting this club is more trouble than it's worth

Wenger is finished. Needs to go, but the board won't sack him and I doubt Wenger has the dignity to resign

The match is Saturday anyway :rolleyes:

Tbh quite glad I'll be working during it then.

Wenger is finished. Needs to go, but the board won't sack him and I doubt Wenger has the dignity to resign

I think he'd probably go if we finish outside top 4. If we do and things struggle on next season the atmosphere gets so unpleasant I think he'd do the decent thing.

He has to go even if we finish 3rd. Spurs/Leicester winning this league is an embarrassment to us.

He won't though. But the point you make links to mine, he has no goodwill left in the bank next season, a slow start or a poor run of form and it just becomes unpleasant for him.

...he has no goodwill left in the bank next season' date=' a slow start or a poor run of form and it just becomes unpleasant for him.[/quote']

True, but I've heard that for season after season now.

We always seem to hit these 'no second chances', but then we get a few wins and the unrest dissipates, then we lose again, and the whole cycle begins once more.

I think this might be the worst Arsenal team Wenger has put together.

It's not really though, in recent years we've had a lot worse. That's what makes this even more frustrating. He should be getting so much more from this team but isn't.

I've been one of his loyalist supporters but even now I think Wenger needs to go.

Who comes in if he goes btw

Simione keeps getting mentioned.

Play the long game and take a punt at Bergkamp?

It's not as easy as some people say though I admit. From a players point of view Wenger has still been a draw to the club. Players like Ozil and Sanchez wouldn't have joined us with anyone in charge.

I'd like Simeone. Grew up watching the Graham back 5, and would love to see our defense return to that roots again.

It'll be Jogi Low if anyone. And Jogi Low is just another Wenger

You could probably up the threads from the last few years and around this time there would be the same dejection. No real meltdowns though as I suppose it just become habit form us. No one is surprised.

Lots of questions about who would we get in to replace him. To be honest, I don't know, but I'm just so sick of the same excuses, same mistakes, that I would gladly take anyone just for a change. The whole 'be careful what you wish for' is of course a fair comment but the difference between us and, say, Man Utd, is that SAF left after winning the league, not scratching around for 4th place again, which is where we are heading. Maybe it will take a few seasons of rebuilding, but if there are signs of progress, it surely better than the what we are seeing now.

It's not really though, in recent years we've had a lot worse.

We may have had lower quality players in previous seasons but they at least functioned as a team. This team that Wenger has put together is incredibly dysfunctional.

"Be careful what you wish for" isn't really a valid argument for not getting rid of an underachieving manager. Yeah there's a chance it might not work out but there's just as much chance, if not better, that it will. And surely it's better than watching the predictable, monotonous dance Arsenal do every year? As Retro said earlier, all Arsenal seasons just follow the same pattern now, same sequence of events on permanent repeat. Wenger's become too comfortable now, same excuses every year and he keeps getting away with it.

It's frustrating to watch as a neutral so I can only imagine imagine what it's like as a fan!

"Be careful what you wish for" isn't really a valid argument for not getting rid of an underachieving manager. Yeah there's a chance it might not work out but there's just as much chance, if not better, that it will. And surely it's better than watching the predictable, monotonous dance Arsenal do every year? As Retro said earlier, all Arsenal seasons just follow the same pattern now, same sequence of events on permanent repeat. Wenger's become too comfortable now, same excuses every year and he keeps getting away with it.

It's frustrating to watch as a neutral so I can only imagine imagine what it's like as a fan!

Indeed. I'm under no illusions that replacing Wenger could be followed by a very tough period where we struggle to match what we've achieved even in the last few seasons, but we have to do something to break this spell. Finishing top 4 each season is a good achievement but there seems to be this feeling around the club that it's all we can achieve even when presented with a gilt-edged opportunity like this season.

I just want to enjoy watching us again and I really don't at the moment - I feel obliged to watch rather than compelled.

I know top 4 is important but with the new TV deal its not as important as it used to be, it's not like we're going to be financially wrecked if we miss out for a couple of seasons.

on the bright side, given the way the results went last night it could have been a lot worse for you guys.

You really need to beat the spuds in the weekend. You can't lose 3 in a row, when's the last time that happened?

You really need to beat the spuds in the weekend. You can't lose 3 in a row, when's the last time that happened?

2011-12.

Lost 3 in a row including Barca and that hasn't even happened for 4 or 5 years, I read

Lost 3 in a row including Barca and that hasn't even happened for 4 or 5 years, I read

ohh so it could be 4! :eek:

They were pretty ordinary last night, but we played on the counter, which is not exactly the Arsenal style.

Indeed. I'm under no illusions that replacing Wenger could be followed by a very tough period where we struggle to match what we've achieved even in the last few seasons, but we have to do something to break this spell. Finishing top 4 each season is a good achievement but there seems to be this feeling around the club that it's all we can achieve even when presented with a gilt-edged opportunity like this season.

I just want to enjoy watching us again and I really don't at the moment - I feel obliged to watch rather than compelled.

That is the biggest issue i have, i just don't enjoy anything that is going on with the club right now. It's all so stale.

I think the only way he will go is if we finish outside the top 4. Regardless of whether Spurs or Leicester win the league, that would have been the minimum target and if he achieves that, then I don't think the board would act.

Then we'll just get the reports of a war chest available, looking for players to improve the squad, some players returning form injury blah blah blah.

Despite Wenger's tactical woes and performances, our biggest miss is no doubt Santi Cazorla. Something is missing from our midfield and Ramsey isn't capable of providing that.

Arsenal need some leaders in their team and Wenger's recruitment has been pretty poor overall. There is some fantastic individual talent in the squad but it's just lacking a bit of fight.

I think leaders is a tricky debate because its such a nebulous concept. But for sure we do miss our best players stepping up and producing a moment of magic to win a game and drag everyone along with them. Henry was able to do that for example. Is that leadership or him just being a really good player who could produce when required?

The Arsenal dressing room strikes me as a place where everyone gets along. Is there anyone really driving others on. I guess that is what is meant by 'leaders'. I picture them as a happy-clappy bunch.

Disagree, here's why: https://t.co/EazrALGXfK

Disagree, here's why: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/charlie-adam-reveals-arsenal-dont-7469785

I'm not talking about a limited player who is good at shouting. But communication in football is key. The goalkeeper should be helping out his defenders, telling them where to position themselves, where attackers are going. Similarly the defence should be helping the midfielders out. Sounds like Arsenal aren't good communicators on the pitch.

Well that's nonsense as Flamini is incredibly vocal and pointy and tells people what to do a lot.

That hasn't helped at all. :D

Cech is a "leader" yet Gabriel still was doing his own thing against United. Easily would rather world class players than leaders.

Despite Wenger's tactical woes and performances, our biggest miss is no doubt Santi Cazorla. Something is missing from our midfield and Ramsey isn't capable of providing that.

Agree without Cazorla partnering Coquelin there is a massive gap between defence and midfield. Cazorla and Coquelin are often close to each other where as Ramsey and Coquelin play too far apart.

Arsenal need some leaders in their team and Wenger's recruitment has been pretty poor overall. There is some fantastic individual talent in the squad but it's just lacking a bit of fight.

The problem there is no leadership and motivation coming from the manager, no matter who they were before signing they soon conform to the arsenal way of bottling.