Sports Interactive Community
ajw10

Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

The recovery time from injuries has definitely improved. Very few setbacks and players returning earlier than expected.

We didn't lose many at the back end of last season either. Which given Forsyth wasn't meant to have an impact till later on such is his method of training it's possible we are seeing real improvements

So Welbeck is going to be out for 10 months? Wonder how Arsenal will spin this.

This is how we know Welbeck's truly one of us :(

Well at least the club is making a positive out of the new group stage rules. An extra category A game for them a season.

Hodgson reckons Welbeck is out for 6 months. Arsenal say three.

I reckon 9

Well at least the club is making a positive out of the new group stage rules. An extra category A game for them a season.

I don't get the fuss over this. Bayern is the definition of a Cat A game

Seen rumours that it's a career threatening injury for Welbeck.

Where's that reported?

Seen rumours that it's a career threatening injury for Welbeck.

Any serious knee injury is career threatening.

**** me, you guys still name the thread after Senegal? When was the last time the old fart even posted on here?

giroud :''''( thought he'd finally found that balance after last year but nvm then. regardless, it's defo gonna be fun when he gets injured.

Matt Spiro ‏@mattspiro 22m22 minutes ago

You can tell when it's an international break. My TL is full of people slagging Giroud off in French. The rest of the time it's in English

:D

Just give Theo a run up top. He'll start scoring goals soon enough.

Might as well put Alexis up front and Theo on the right. Best position for the both of them and Özil gets assists to make his stats match his gener performances.

**** me, you guys still name the thread after Senegal? When was the last time the old fart even posted on here?

Goon's alive.

Not since Almunia has a first team player held us back like Giroud has.

There really isn't a comparison there. Almunia was rarely capable of anything spectacular. Giroud certainly has his moments of real quality. Giroud gives the team confidence though, he is a constant out-ball under pressure, his physicality helps them. Almunia rarely instilled any confidence.

If nothing else, Giroud is actually decent at his job. Almunia wasn't. Not by any EPL standard.

Almunia could be improved by Woj. The Woj of strikers would not improve upon Giroud. We could have kept Bendtner otherwise.

Almunia had quality moments in him. Giroud has quality moments in him. Both of them could not take us to where we want to go. Giroud is really limiting the options our midfielders have to stretch a game, there's little fluidity and patience as well. It's very irritating to watch him play year after year with quality players and regularly look out of his depth.

Can't think of anything worse than Walcott up front. Giroud is unfairly criticised frequently even if really he should be a plan b

Can't think of anything worse than Walcott up front.

Really?

Park up front sound better?

Really?

Park up front sound better?

Well of the options we have no. He is useless upfront. Adds nothing in terms of link up play, is easily bullied, doesn't know the movement well enough. There is little difference between when we first tried this absurd idea and now. When he does well there it's because he can score goals but doesn't mean him there is working. It is only beneficial to us when the other team can't work out that they should move their midfield back with their defence which tends to only happen with Sherwood

It just makes us so one dimensional.

Given his form last year and the alternative being a donkey who didn't know where the net was located, I thought the appreciation for Giroud had finally reached a suitable level, last thing you expect is an Almunia comparison

Can't think of anything worse than Walcott up front. Giroud is unfairly criticised frequently even if really he should be a plan b

That's the promise land we tried all summer to get to.

My big concern is that since there has been essentially zero change, and we have a more or less fit squad, I was hoping we'd have a more convincing lineup. Thought that all that stability and chemistry would finally mean that our teamplay would be a bit better. Even now, we don't know who our best CM pairing is, who our best right winger is, and if Sanchez should play up front. Just more questions than I expected from a team that has had a season or two to work things out.

Given his form last year and the alternative being a donkey who didn't know where the net was located, I thought the appreciation for Giroud had finally reached a suitable level, last thing you expect is an Almunia comparison

His form last year was just as we've come to expect. A run of good games, and a run of bad games. That's his history. When he's fresh and confident, he score goals. Then when he doesn't get a rest, because for whatever reason he's the only striker we have left, his form dips.

That's the promise land we tried all summer to get to.

My big concern is that since there has been essentially zero change, and we have a more or less fit squad, I was hoping we'd have a more convincing lineup. Thought that all that stability and chemistry would finally mean that our teamplay would be a bit better. Even now, we don't know who our best CM pairing is, who our best right winger is, and if Sanchez should play up front. Just more questions than I expected from a team that has had a season or two to work things out.

We are suffering from having a plethora of options but very few of which of are perfect. So it is trying to fit their imbalances together and it isn't easy but not sure Wenger has come close to solving it. To me we should work from Ozil outwards so work out how to put him in the best position to succeed and that is runners so Ramsey CM and Walcott wide and probably Alexis up front

To me we should work from Ozil outwards

Now this to me is similar to the way I think. Who are the key players that should play the majority of the time? Cech, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny & Monreal is a pretty nailed backline right now. Then further forward Ramsey, Ozil & Alexis are the best we have - so let's get them in their best positions then worry about the rest. I think either Ramsey or Coquelin improves distribution, or, Arteta should return alongside Ramsey. Alexis up front would allow Walcott/Chamberlain wide right, or both flanks. Cazorla can play from the left. It leaves room for Giroud as plan B. It leaves room for Wilshere, Coquelin and Welbeck too.

I think the best other option, is instead of 4-2-3-1, go back to 4-3-3 similar to the team that we won at City with. Get Cazorla and Ramsey in the centre in front of Coquelin. Stick Ozil left, as he'll have loads of space to drift into. Then Chamberlain right and Alexis in the middle.

We do have lots of options and variety, we just need to make it work!

Now this to me is similar to the way I think. Who are the key players that should play the majority of the time? Cech, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny & Monreal is a pretty nailed backline right now. Then further forward Ramsey, Ozil & Alexis are the best we have - so let's get them in their best positions then worry about the rest. I think either Ramsey or Coquelin improves distribution, or, Arteta should return alongside Ramsey. Alexis up front would allow Walcott/Chamberlain wide right, or both flanks. Cazorla can play from the left. It leaves room for Giroud as plan B. It leaves room for Wilshere, Coquelin and Welbeck too.

I think the best other option, is instead of 4-2-3-1, go back to 4-3-3 similar to the team that we won at City with. Get Cazorla and Ramsey in the centre in front of Coquelin. Stick Ozil left, as he'll have loads of space to drift into. Then Chamberlain right and Alexis in the middle.

We do have lots of options and variety, we just need to make it work!

Yeah I agree. I think 4-2-3-1 is the best option but I am very open to 4-1-4-1 as I think Ramsey and Cazorla/Wilshere is a pretty effective CM pairing.

If we move Alexis up front we have a hole on the left but I think that can be filled by Cazorla who needs pace up front to make that effective (So stick Walcott on the other wing). The advantages of getting Cazorla in are twofold in that it means pressure is taken off Coquelin in build up and it provides more balance with Ramsey going forwards.

Yeah I agree. I think 4-2-3-1 is the best option but I am very open to 4-1-4-1 as I think Ramsey and Cazorla/Wilshere is a pretty effective CM pairing.

If we move Alexis up front we have a hole on the left but I think that can be filled by Cazorla who needs pace up front to make that effective (So stick Walcott on the other wing). The advantages of getting Cazorla in are twofold in that it means pressure is taken off Coquelin in build up and it provides more balance with Ramsey going forwards.

What about Ozil though if Cazorla is left?

If we go 4-1-4-1, do we need Cazorla? Or can we play Ozil and Ramsey together in central midfield?

Ozil didn't work too well as a winger, and Wenger said it himself that Cazorla doesn't have the athleticism to play wide anymore. I'd prefer seeing someone like Ox wide left. I think our team needs pace out wide to take full advantage of someone like Ozil.

If we go 4-1-4-1, do we need Cazorla? Or can we play Ozil and Ramsey together in central midfield?

Ozil didn't work too well as a winger, and Wenger said it himself that Cazorla doesn't have the athleticism to play wide anymore. I'd prefer seeing someone like Ox wide left. I think our team needs pace out wide to take full advantage of someone like Ozil.

Ozil hasn't scored since he came back into centre. I think he works well on the left.

Ozil hasn't scored since he came back into centre. I think he works well on the left.

Ozil simply doesn't score a lot of goals, no matter where he plays. 10 league goals would surpass his usual standards, I'd imagine.

I'm not so sure how well Ozil would fit into the system as a left winger. It'll come down to how well he can cut inside from the left, because that'll be the main way he plays.

Absolutely ridiculous opinion as playing on the left is Özil's weakest position in the attacking 3 by a massive margin.

What about Ozil though if Cazorla is left?

at 10

Yes you definitely need Cazorla. Ozil defensively isn't good enough nor will his instincts of drifting looking for space make for a good partnership with Ramsey who does that also. Ozil as a winger can work and on the left you just have to accept the consequences of it which is he is no longer central to the team but rather is a supplemental player who will add bits and pieces but not really ever change the course of the match.

Can't have pace everywhere it doesn't work like that you need balance hence Cazorla left as he would be a pretty nominal winger rather he is just there to balance it all out.

Absolutely ridiculous opinion as playing on the left is Özil's weakest position in the attacking 3 by a massive margin.

It still may be necessary or the right thing to do. Look at Germany how they use him to try and get their best CMs on the pitch. It doesn't matter to me if it means we have better balance

I would generally look at Ozil as a 10 first though

We don't have midfielders as gifted on the ball like Kroos or Schweinsteiger who can pass through the lines at will to get the ball to Özil in dangerous positions. Ideally you'd play Özil at 10 but certain games I'm not against him playing on the right in the 4141.

We don't have midfielders as gifted on the ball like Kroos or Schweinsteiger who can pass through the lines at will to get the ball to Özil in dangerous positions. Ideally you'd play Özil at 10 but certain games I'm not against him playing on the right in the 4141.

Whilst I agree 10>Right>Left for Ozil we have plenty on the right and not so much on the left. It is a balancing act you're looking for what leads to the best overall result even if it means Ozil is diminished.

Cazorla can do that. It isn't what I would ideally try to do but it could definitely work

Don't see why Cazorla can't fill that role of the balancer on the left, as it's an absolute waste of Özil's talent.

Don't see why Cazorla can't fill that role of the balancer on the left, as it's an absolute waste of Özil's talent.

Well that is my preferred option. I agree though Cazorla on the left with runners such as Alexis, Ramsey and Walcott would have a nice balance

Cazorla might have more ball skill than Ramsey, but it has the same weakness as Ramsey out wide. Cazorla will drift inside, and our attack will be very narrow. When Cazorla plays deep, he connects the defense with the attackers. If he's wide left, he'll probably just end up drifting inside into the no.10 area. This happened for us before, back when he did play LW for us, and Rosicky was playing no.10.

There's also question whether he can provide the necessary defensive effort out wide.

Cazorla might have more ball skill than Ramsey, but it has the same weakness as Ramsey out wide. Cazorla will drift inside, and our attack will be very narrow. When Cazorla plays deep, he connects the defense with the attackers. If he's wide left, he'll probably just end up drifting inside into the no.10 area. This happened for us before, back when he did play LW for us, and Rosicky was playing no.10.

There's also question whether he can provide the necessary defensive effort out wide.

Yeah it isn't a bad thing drifting in. It is what Pires, Nasri, Rosicky, Benayoun all did and it worked when Cazorla did it. It creates an overload in the middle. The width can be provided by a variety of players and as long as the full back is reasonably aggressive (ours will be) it will be fine.

Also no idea why you question his defensive work rate

Yeah it isn't a bad thing drifting in. It is what Pires, Nasri, Rosicky, Benayoun all did and it worked when Cazorla did it. It creates an overload in the middle. The width can be provided by a variety of players and as long as the full back is reasonably aggressive (ours will be) it will be fine.

Also no idea why you question his defensive work rate

Obviously there's nothing wrong with drifting in and of itself. Sanchez does a lot of that now, and it works well with Monreal. The reason some prefer a Sanchez or an Ox out wide is due to the variety they can offer in attack, although both can definitely improve in terms of running into scoring positions. Cazorla out wide, while individually unpredictable, will make our team predictable. Cazorla will do more or less the job Hleb used to do for us.

In Sanchez, Ozil, and Cazorla, that'll be three people who prefer receiving the ball at their feet. Maybe it can work if Ramsey and Walcott are in-form because then they can provide the variety.

I question his defensive effort because fullbacks will not be "pinned back" by Cazorla due to his lack of pace, and heavy involvement in the buildup. So up against attacking fullbacks, he'd need to do a lot of tracking. I don't know if he's going to be good at it. It's not just about stamina and work-rate. It's about positioning and defensive awareness as well. We've had a long line of midfielders who lose track of their marker.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with drifting in and of itself. Sanchez does a lot of that now, and it works well with Monreal. The reason some prefer a Sanchez or an Ox out wide is due to the variety they can offer in attack, although both can definitely improve in terms of running into scoring positions. Cazorla out wide, while individually unpredictable, will make our team predictable. Cazorla will do more or less the job Hleb used to do for us.

In Sanchez, Ozil, and Cazorla, that'll be three people who prefer receiving the ball at their feet. Maybe it can work if Ramsey and Walcott are in-form because then they can provide the variety.

I question his defensive effort because fullbacks will not be "pinned back" by Cazorla due to his lack of pace, and heavy involvement in the buildup. So up against attacking fullbacks, he'd need to do a lot of tracking. I don't know if he's going to be good at it. It's not just about stamina and work-rate. It's about positioning and defensive awareness as well. We've had a long line of midfielders who lose track of their marker.

Hleb did a very important job for us and was vital in balancing that team. The Cazorla making us predictable stuff is pretty baseless. He would provide balance to allow us to be more unpredictable for it would give Ramsey more freedom and also allow us to play Walcott on the right; Chamberlain as it stands cannot do this. It is also erroneous to assume that because Chamberlain carries the ball so well he would offer more in the attack when currently that is all he really offers.

It isn't as simple as those three like to receive the ball to feet as both Alexis and Ozil (in particular Ozil) are very much off the ball players and Alexis can make those runs it's just about getting him to do that more than searching for the ball which he did do at times in the second half of last season when he had his best games on the left. I don't think it needs Ramsey and Walcott to be in form either because they do that however they're playing in terms of running off players.

Not sure pinning back the full back is much down to his pace and or involvement in the build up as the left back inevitably will move up that side aggressively and as we retain the ball that full back will be pushed backwards. Cazorla has spent most of his career out wide and has always been defensively diligent and able I would argue that he is probably better at it than any of our current wing options including Alexis who whilst a brilliant presser of the ball leaves fair bit to be desired in terms of tracking

I mean for a wide playmaker out on the wing you couldn't ask for a brilliant mentor than Pellegrini. Cazorla tactically is a vital part of the team and in my eyes is the new 'technical leader' Wenger craves.

In unexpected news - Wilshere's had a setback and will take even longer to get back than previously thought.

I mean for a wide playmaker out on the wing you couldn't ask for a brilliant mentor than Pellegrini. Cazorla tactically is a vital part of the team and in my eyes is the new 'technical leader' Wenger craves.

Yeah this really