Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with this is that it requires us to consistently be able to create those chances and play well. We don't do that. Suarez wouldn't alter that. That Liverpool team whilst it couldn't defend had an attacking structure which functioned. We don't have that. It had pressing. We don't have that. Even with all of that I don't think that Liverpool team would have won as many games again. I think to a large extent they got away with their bad defence through luck rather than just merely out-gunning the opposition repeatedly.

Meh. This season the chances he created should have led to about 12 assists. He has 18.

I don't quite understand this. While anyone can see that our team is very disjointed, it cannot be denied that through whatever means (chemistry from playing together, having superior players, luck, etc) we have created more chances than anyone in the league. Our attackers have been given the scoring chances to match the likes of Mahrez and Kane. How would a striker who can convert those chances, not greatly improve our points tally? Yeah we suck, but we still manage to create chances even when not playing well. If we had a Suarez or an Aguero, then we'd be scoring goals despite not playing well.

That's what world-class players do. They perform in spite of the circumstances. Ozil has been creating chances despite how dysfunctional our midfield is. A better striker would be scoring goals despite how poorly the team has been playing. Just look at what RvP did, both for us and for Man Utd.

I don't quite understand this. While anyone can see that our team is very disjointed, it cannot be denied that through whatever means (chemistry from playing together, having superior players, luck, etc) we have created more chances than anyone in the league. Our attackers have been given the scoring chances to match the likes of Mahrez and Kane. How would a striker who can convert those chances, not greatly improve our points tally? Yeah we suck, but we still manage to create chances even when not playing well. If we had a Suarez or an Aguero, then we'd be scoring goals despite not playing well.

That's what world-class players do. They perform in spite of the circumstances. Ozil has been creating chances despite how dysfunctional our midfield is. A better striker would be scoring goals despite how poorly the team has been playing. Just look at what RvP did, both for us and for Man Utd.

This post is spot on :thup:

Looking at the number of created chances is misleading because it completely fails to consider the context. 1) match situation 2) how spread out over matches they were 3) situation of the chance; amongst other things.

It isn't as simple as we created lots of chances, guess we just need a better goalscorer.

"When" - the main blog for yesterday

Yeah - it's obvious now I know :D

When we went to White Hart Lane and they thought that the late penalty, annoying as it was, was enough for them to stop us winning the league but it wasn’t enough to stop us winning the league and we won the league.

When even their players thought the draw was enough. When Thierry Henry remembered:

“I remember Tarrico, jumping around and he got a cramp out of it. Celebrating a draw! And I looked at him and said ‘Are you kidding me?’ And he went, ‘Yeeaaaaaaah!’ jumping in front of me.

“I said to him: ‘You do realise we just needed a point at your place to be champions at your place.’ And he was talking, talking, so I said ‘Watch me after the game.’

“I remember, people were saying do not celebrate. I said ‘WHAT?’ I will celebrate. And you will see how much it’s going to hurt them. “I had to celebrate. They were coming up to me, jumping around like they had won something, so I said, ‘Ok. We were not supposed to celebrate, but now I’m going to celebrate with my fans!”

:cool:

Barney Ronay ‏@barneyronay 1h1 hour ago

You could argue in one way this is Arsene Wenger's greatest, crowning season. Of the 'Big Four' 2004-09 only Arsenal now remain. He wins!

Barney Ronay ‏@barneyronay 1h1 hour ago

I'm other words Arsenal are on course to finish above every other title winning club of the last 55 years. And still they're not happy.

:lol:

Draw comparisons, but this squad are full of show ponies and not quite good enoughs, no doubt we'll do well against Sunderland and all the tricks will come out against and everyone will style themselves on Bertie Bigbollocks, just bored of them now, bunch of chancers.

Dropping Coq for Ramsey + Eleny particularly made sense when playing at home against sides we expect to dominate possession. Wonder where Cazorla fits in.

It's also important to keep in mind that we basically won with 2 individual goals, rather than from great teamplay.

Whilst that is true the team play was a lot better than what we had seen in recent months on the most part. Other than the final parts of it.

It is going to be disappointing when Ramsey or Elneny is dropped for Coquelin on the weekend.

Whilst that is true the team play was a lot better than what we had seen in recent months on the most part. Other than the final parts of it.

It is going to be disappointing when Ramsey or Elneny is dropped for Coquelin on the weekend.

Gabriel and Coquelin are definitely coming into the side aren't they?

Honestly think Wenger would be better tackling this head on. "I know this isn't good enough, I'm a winner, I want to be 1st more than anyone else, trust me I'm trying my hardest to sort this out" type of stuff. He seems to be almost going out of his way to inflame the fanbase with some of these comments.

Honestly think Wenger would be better tackling this head on. "I know this isn't good enough' date=' I'm a winner, I want to be 1st more than anyone else, trust me I'm trying my hardest to sort this out" type of stuff. He seems to be almost going out of his way to inflame the fanbase with some of these comments.[/quote']

Agreed. He's never been like that though.

Gabriel and Coquelin are definitely coming into the side aren't they?

Not Gabriel but I can see Coquelin definitely.

The issue I have with Ramsey is I think his operating window is far too narrow. If everything is just right he's superb at what he does' date=' but one thing falls out of alignment and suddenly he's stinking up the joint.[/quote']

Not sure this is particularly fair. He does well when played on the right or at 10 and CM if he has someone who can pass next to him. When at Cm earlier this season it is often forgotten the front three was missing balance also, lacking Ramsey himself funnily enough.

I don't see Wenger ever stepping down on a 5th place finish tbh. Or ever really, think the board are going to have to man up and fire him to get him out the door. He'll come up with some guff about wanting the challenge of reclaiming a Champions League spot. Maybe the lack of Champions League money will jolt them into action, but then with the ridiculous amount Premier League TV money they'd probably give him another year to get back into that coveted 4th spot anyway. It's in no way a guarantee that finishing 5th changes anything.

I don't think he'll leave if we finish 5th this summer. But I feel like that at least might be the initial catalyst for change in the long term, whereas if we finish 4th it will be all good and same again next season. Rumours of a new 3 year contract which is just horrific news if true.

I don't think he'll leave if we finish 5th this summer. But I feel like that at least might be the initial catalyst for change in the long term, whereas if we finish 4th it will be all good and same again next season. Rumours of a new 3 year contract which is just horrific news if true.

The source for that was fake.

He'll walk if we finish 5th, I'm convinced of it

No way I can ee you finishing outside top 4. Norwich are fighting for their lives but I still expect you to win that comfortably. Villa is an obvious win. City is the real difficult one. Only danger you have of not getting in UCL is if you finish 4th and City and Liverpool win the European comps.

Archived