Mid-season GM/coaching changes

So I'm into my 3rd season of EHMEA, using the TBL rosters and playing as the Dallas Stars. I'm making general notes as I go, and at some point (maybe after five/six seasons) I'll dump them all into a post. However, some things I'm mentioning before then and this is one of those things. Below is a list of all the GMs that have been fired (not resigned) in the two-and-a-half years I've been playing:

Coyotes fired Maloney on 19th March

Blackhawks fired Bowman on 30th June

Avs fired Sakic on 1st July

Wild fired Fletcher on 1st July

Canucks fired Benning on 3rd March

Jets fired Cheveldayoff on 1st July

Bruins fired Chiarelli on 6th January; Lawton on 24th December

Sabres fired Murray on 13th November

Columbus fired Kekalainen on 20th March; Fletcher on 20th December

Detroit fired Holland on 11th November; Chiarelli on 17th November

Panthers fired Tallon on 1st July

Rangers fired Sather on 1st July

Philly fired Hextall on 17th November; Maloney on 7th January

Now, I can't find a list of every NHL GM appointment in say, the last ten years. I'm sure such a list must exist somewhere online (most likely on Hockey-Reference) and I know there are individual team GM history pages on Wiki, but just looking at a list of the current 30 GMs, only four (Poile, Murray, Kekalainen and Murray) were appointed during the regular season. All other 26 GMs (including the vacant Toronto and Boston jobs, which will be filled before the new season) took up their new position between April 21st and September 19th. My point? Of the 17 GM changes so far in my game, only six have taken place during that same period of time. Of course I appreciate that this number can vary, both in real life and in the game itself. But it feels very out of kilter with when teams would generally look to change GM (i.e. once their season is over) in real life, and the point of this thread was to suggest it might be something that needs balancing out a little. (I don't know if it is by design; a constant flow of GM changes means that, should the player find themselves needing a job, they wouldn't have to wait until the next summer for a lot of opportunities)

Conversely, there have only been 24 coaching changes over that two-and-a-half year period. Compare that to real life where there have been (by my calculations) 40 different head coaches across the NHL since the start of the 2012-13 season, with another four to be appointed before the summer is out. I think in real life, you see GMs buying themselves time by firing a coach. But that doesn't appear to be reflected in the game. I'll often see "GM given ultimatum by board" story right around the time the GM fires the incumbent coach, but then the GM himself gets canned shortly after. I don't think they would let their own position become so precarious before firing the coach; similarly, I don't think a team would be so quick to fire a GM right after allowing him to fire a coach.

Personally, I'd like to see GMs in the game a bit quicker to fire coaches, and to be given a bit more breathing room if they do so when their own position is under threat. And, of course, less GMs being fired during the season. Curious as to what other people think?

Archived