Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
mancmalaga

Goalkeepers at good teams

I've been playing as Maribor in Slovenia, in my second season, and I've noticed this season I just concede goals for fun, not be use we're playing badly but because the opposition on average seems to score with 70-80% of their shots. Is this to do with my goalkeepers concentration of does the game somehow try to balance out the league so it's not completely one sided.

In my first season I played Jasmin Handanovic every week, concentration of 12, played 34, conceded 19 and kept 20 clean sheets, this season I've decided to play Matko Obradovic as he's younger and more of a long term replacement for Handanovic. Again he has concentration of 12, yet he's played 22, conceded 24 and kept only 9 clean sheets.

To me that's poor and it's his lack of saves that annoys me the most especially in comparison to his opponents. For example, I played Zavrc, they had 6 shots on target, I had 15, I lost 3-1, played Gorica, won 4-2 they had 6 shots on target, played Celje, won 4-1, they had 3 shots on target, I had 17, played Koper, lost 3-0, they had 4 shots on target. Just seems like he concedes near enough every shot that comes his way. And they're not even good shots. Most are straight at him, then I'll go down the other end and curl one top corner and it gets saved by the opposition goalie who's highest rating is about 9 on kicking.

So yeah if anyone can help me out here that would be great cheers

What are his Reflexes, one on ones, and positioning stats? I find those to be the ones necessary for good goalkeeping.

As alwyas in FM dont just look blindly at the stats. Some goalkeepers just dont perform even though they have descent stats. I had a great goalkeeper talent in Russia once, but he never could save a ball. ended up selling him and using anoher young goalkeeper in my squad who was vastly inferior to the other guy. But he saved a lot more balls and never really made a mistake. Yeah, to sum it up finding a good sturdy goalkeeper is really hard. Try to look for consistency rather than talent would be my advice.

On my old save had an established France International (77 caps) GK near his peak peak (age'd 27) at Chelsea from a pup (year 2037), when i took over he carried on his form for the rest of the season.

Games - 18 ~ Conceded - 10 ~ Clean Sheets - 8

CA 175 - PA - 180 ~ Shouldn't of, but did a little naughty scouting at the best GK's in the world and he was 2nd best, only Bayern's keeper was better, by a couple of CA's

Next season, what a mess, by November he'd kept 1 clean sheet (3 including pre-season). My back 4 didnt change, as these were established and pretty decent already.

I deceided to use my Backup English GK, who was Bottom Champ/L1 standard (1 star by my Ass Man 17/19 JCA/JPA) who kept 9 clean sheets in a row.

Unsure if this is just one of those things, or that the games were easier, or even the nationality of the GK, I dont know.

I will add that German regen keepers seem a cut above the rest of worldwide keepers in my saves.. (Esp this one currently)

As alwyas in FM dont just look blindly at the stats. Some goalkeepers just dont perform even though they have descent stats. I had a great goalkeeper talent in Russia once, but he never could save a ball. ended up selling him and using anoher young goalkeeper in my squad who was vastly inferior to the other guy. But he saved a lot more balls and never really made a mistake. Yeah, to sum it up finding a good sturdy goalkeeper is really hard. Try to look for consistency rather than talent would be my advice.

Ok mate cheers. Yeah these two both have good stats, they're not world beaters at all, but a solid 12-14 on pretty much everything. There's a goalie who always seems to have a great game against me for another side in my league so I might try sign him as he seems solid, a lot more solid than my 2. It's almost a guaranteed goal everytime the opposition goes forward, conceded 41 goals in 36 games this season and still won the league. Bit unrealistic that as it's not even a tight league

Ok mate cheers. Yeah these two both have good stats, they're not world beaters at all, but a solid 12-14 on pretty much everything. There's a goalie who always seems to have a great game against me for another side in my league so I might try sign him as he seems solid, a lot more solid than my 2. It's almost a guaranteed goal everytime the opposition goes forward, conceded 41 goals in 36 games this season and still won the league. Bit unrealistic that as it's not even a tight league

How did your two seasons go? Did you win the league in both?

How did your two seasons go? Did you win the league in both?

Yeah I did, so maybe I seem like I'm being a bit picky here haha, but I'm a goalkeeper, played that position since being about 6, so I'm firmly in the "would rather win 2-0 than 4-2" camp, I absolutely despise conceding goals, and as I mentioned the opposition in my league score with 70-80% of their shots on target, fairly certain the goalkeepers save % in pro football is more around 70-80% isn't it? Not 20%

Yeah I did, so maybe I seem like I'm being a bit picky here haha, but I'm a goalkeeper, played that position since being about 6, so I'm firmly in the "would rather win 2-0 than 4-2" camp, I absolutely despise conceding goals, and as I mentioned the opposition in my league score with 70-80% of their shots on target, fairly certain the goalkeepers save % in pro football is more around 70-80% isn't it? Not 20%

I'm a keeper too and that's why I know it's not fair to blame it all on the keeper. Especially comparing 2 seasons. Different personnel and teams will most likely be lining up differently against the champions in the 2nd season.

I'm a keeper too and that's why I know it's not fair to blame it all on the keeper. Especially comparing 2 seasons. Different personnel and teams will most likely be lining up differently against the champions in the 2nd season.

Yeah true. To be honest I've replaced a lot of my defence and I am weak at the back I know that much, just some of the goals we concede I feel the keeper could have done more. Centre back in particular though needs some serious work as I sold 2 very good ones at the end of last season as they wanted to play in a better league. Not really replaced them, just tried playing kids and that's probably the main reason really