[15.2b] AI making illogical moves on draft day

I had intended to play through a couple of seasons before posting a bunch of things in the feedback thread, but I'll mention this now because it is something which needs fixing as soon as possible.

I went into the 2015 draft with two 1st rounders (21, which I acquired from Anaheim for Julius Honka (I'm running the TBL rosters), and 28, which was my own) anticipating that I'd be able to trade up. I was being incredibly optimistic and attempting to get into the top 5, which didn't happen. Even once the draft had begun and the first three picks had been made, I tried approaching Colorado (drafting 5th) and offering them #21 and #28 for #5. They rejected it, which is fair enough; I wouldn't have made that trade if I were offered it!

Meanwhile, New Jersey selected McDavid 1st and Buffalo took Eichel second. So out of curiosity, I offered #21 and #28 for the rights to McDavid. No dice. I then offered the Sabres #21 for Eichel. Again, I was shot down. However, the feedback I got when I gauged their interest was that they "would need to take some time to consider" the proposal. So I went back and offered them #28 and #68, and what happens? They accept the proposal. Similiarly, Tampa wouldn't take #21 and #28 for #3 overall, but once they'd actually drafted a player (Pavel Zacha, ahead of Marner, Strome and Crouse? That's probably borderline a bug in itself, but not what I want to get caught up on, especially as teams do make illogical picks in real life) they accepted a proposal of #28 for him. Same went for Hanifin who went at #4 and Crouse at #5.

Now I don't know if it's a case that the AI isn't placing equivalent value on draft picks compared to actual prospects, or if there is a window between a prospect being drafted and the draft itself being completed where their value doesn't adjust and they can be had on the cheap. Or even if it is just an issue with the TBL rosters, and not something that would be happening if I were using the default rosters. But it seems like something that needs adjusting, as it makes no sense that a team wouldn't trade #2 for #21 and #28, but would trade the player they pick at #2 for #28 and #68!

My interpretation of it is that since the top-level prospects are weaker than they are in real life, the AI will be more willing to trade them. You almost never see anyone have a great rookie season and a ton of guys bust.

AI managers probably have a set valuation for what "a #3 overall pick" is worth that's higher than what the player's worth.

It's been a while since I'd played 07, and I couldn't recall the ease with which I could acquire picks/players on draft day. I know I used to be ridiculously active during the draft, and would basically target each pick before it was made and see what it would cost to move up. I must've tried to trade for a just drafted player in the past, just can't recall! Really, AI teams should just reject anything but ridiculous offers for somebody they have just drafted. You so rarely see teams pick a player and then immediately deal them.

I noticed this also in previous version of this game. I always were able to land McDavid pretty easily. But landing the 1st overall pick has proven impossible (which makes total sense)

Yeah, I see a problem with prospect rights especially. True example. Buffalo has 1st round 2nd pick. They pick Player A, whom I had my eyes on. I offer them my pick, which is 1st round 6th pick, for Player A and they accept. And this is during draft day, mind you!

• SI Staff

Thanks for all the reports on this. Balancing the trade AI is one of the most complicated aspects of the game (outside of the actual 2D simulation) and even small glitches can unbalance certain types of trades. There will be some work done on this area again for the next update.

Archived