Mental Attributes for Later Draft years are Poor

Yeah, once the game starts generating its own players it feels like the mental stats are really low and the number of top picks that bust is really high. I simulated to 2024 on this one save that I started on the most recent patch, I'll go through the top 10 of the 2019 draft.

#1 overall - 19 NHL games played

#2 overall - 0 NHL games played

#3 overall - 0 NHL games played, though his AHL/in-game stats look pretty good to me

#4 overall - 2 NHL games played

#5 overall - 0 NHL games played

#6 overall - 0 NHL games played

#7 overall - 6 NHL games played

#8 overall - KHL lifer, pro rights lapsed

#9 overall - 146 NHL games played (probably on checking lines), currently in AHL

#10 overall - 76 NHL games, 40 points, still with his original organization

I think everyone from 1-9 moved around a lot in trades for third round picks, B-prospects, bottom pairing defensemen etc. and it's only #10 who has stayed with the team who drafted him. The draft has produced good players (#14 overall, #20 overall, #41 overall, #53 overall) and a handful of additional roster players, but I think it's fair to criticize the player generation + development mechanism at its current stage. For whatever reason it's not producing anything close to the outcomes of real NHL draft picks.

Yeah, once the game starts generating its own players it feels like the mental stats are really low and the number of top picks that bust is really high. I simulated to 2024 on this one save that I started on the most recent patch, I'll go through the top 10 of the 2019 draft.

#1 overall - 19 NHL games played

#2 overall - 0 NHL games played

#3 overall - 0 NHL games played, though his AHL/in-game stats look pretty good to me

#4 overall - 2 NHL games played

#5 overall - 0 NHL games played

#6 overall - 0 NHL games played

#7 overall - 6 NHL games played

#8 overall - KHL lifer, pro rights lapsed

#9 overall - 146 NHL games played (probably on checking lines), currently in AHL

#10 overall - 76 NHL games, 40 points, still with his original organization

I think everyone from 1-9 moved around a lot in trades for third round picks, B-prospects, bottom pairing defensemen etc. and it's only #10 who has stayed with the team who drafted him. The draft has produced good players (#14 overall, #20 overall, #41 overall, #53 overall) and a handful of additional roster players, but I think it's fair to criticize the player generation + development mechanism at its current stage. For whatever reason it's not producing anything close to the outcomes of real NHL draft picks.

Years fluctuate from what I've noticed. Wrote down the numbers to one of the sims I did in an 8 year period

Year - 1st Round Good - 1st Round Busts - # 2/3 Rounders That turn out good - Round 4-7 Good Players

2022 - 8 - 22 - 4 - 3

2023 - 21 - 9 - 13 - 3

2024 - 18 - 12 - 16 - 5

2025 - 14 -16 - 17 - 4

2026 - 23 - 7 - 24 - 9

2027 - 22 - 8 - 18 - 7

2028 - 24 - 6 - 13 - 2

2029 - 21 - 9 - 17 - 7

Overall pretty good besides a few wonky years(2022/2025) and I'm liking the late round gems, but as far as the 2nd/3rd rounders I don't know if it's the CPU reaching(ie. those 2nd rounders actually be 1st round Ranked) or just good 2nd round picks

Did a check of this last sim

Year - 1st Good - 1st Bust - 2/3 Good - 4-7 Good

2020 - 12 - 18 - 10 - 0

2021 - 18 - 12 - 10 - 1

2022 - 20 - 10 - 9 - 6

2023 - 21 - 9 - 14 - 4

2024 - 16 - 14 - 10 - 7

2025 - 17 - 13 - 19 - 9

2026 - 17- 13 - 18 - 5

2027 - 24 - 6 - 14 - 3

2028 - 20 - 10 - 15 - 5

2029 - 19 - 11 - 14 - 4

2030 - 22 - 8 - 14 - 6

Can you do this experiment with Olympic teams? These teams on these dates don't have good players on them.

I believe he is using the U20 teams to showcase the prospects coming out of the draft, which is the issue, not the developed players.

No I was doing the National Team.

Here is the Top Players in the world(4 Pages worth) to show players that are fully developed and still with bad Mental Attributes

1zRUTXT.png

ONWgowt.png

FE13kPs.png

pQxzFA5.png

The one STAR Reputation Player was a 2018 Draft Pick and is 37 years old

Actually it looks like they do. Are you basing that off the reputation?

Yes, because I fail to admit that no Russian, Swedish, or Finnish players in your game would be higher than a good reputation. But your second set of photos does confirm my suspicions, but I do agree, those mental attributes of the top players are quite poor.

Thanks. Also, I didn't mean immediately, but at your leisure. Enjoy vacation.

It's all good man. There is some gaming time to be had lol.

If someone else wants to run a long test sim, by all means go ahead. I'm not the SI Test Sim Guy by any means, just a guy who likes long sim games and is very anal about how well a long sim works before sinking days into it.

Update: All leagues enhanced and max database size:

1.) No star players.

2.) Everyone is a great leader.

3.) It's super easy to get in the HHOF.

I've included the Mental Attributes of the top three pages of players in my game. I've also included the top 3 draft picks of this upcoming draft. Lastly, I've included the HHOF players with lowest point totals.

HtAW9Ug.jpg

nodfdyJ.jpg

rxpT1mY.jpg

kEtLhv3.jpg

cdesJEj.jpg

cEZNAdw.jpg

4sWJM1n.jpg

Sim to 2033(Nov 24th) under Quick Sim setting w/ All leagues enabled(NHL being the only Enhanced)

xXpo7JK.png

osjWlqo.png

keVTDqz.png

sG0WgtT.png

Looks a LOT better then the 15.2 update. I agree with the Reputation issue. Only 1 Star and that's McDavid at age 36

Also the players playing for into their late 30s-early 40s is still there for the current players in the NHL now(i.e the McDavids, Reillys, etc.)

but their physical stats are plummeting and even though there are better younger players either unsigned prospects or in the system Could be a GM AI issue?

Stamkos is the only player who eclipsed Gordie Howe with only John Tavares, Ryan O'Reilly and Jonathan Toews going over 1700GPs

• 2 months later...

I still have issue with poor newgens skills (whether I have to start new save? because my current was started in the beginning of May). And problem is not only with mental skills, but with the physical skills as well. On top of this, all defenders have only defensive skills good and all forwards have only attacking skills good.

I still have issue with poor newgens skills (whether I have to start new save? because my current was started in the beginning of May)
My understanding is while some/most fixes will eventually take effect in a saved game, a new save is always best

There have been 11 updates since the beginning of May, so there's been a lot addressed since you started your game

3.) It's super easy to get in the HHOF.

The "hall of fame" is actually supposed to be like that, it's not a bug and it has always been like that.
The HHOF is supposed to be like that? Why? It definitely seems like a bug to me (the HHOF is actually a big deal, the standard should be high)

Well, Riz stated several times that the leagues hall of fame should be considered as a way to remember the players with good careers, I think it's just a naming issue.
The point isn't the name, the point is the definition of "good careers" HaHa

There are way to many players entering the hall of fame (and for to many their stats/performance is NOT worthy of being there)

Here's some data that compares IRL with EHM:EA using the screenshot above (indicating 8 pages of hall of fame inductees after 25 years...I used 7 as the 8th page may not have been full)

23 players x 7 pages = 161 players

161 players / 25 years = over 6 players a year

IRL there have been 74 players inducted into the HHOF in the last 25 years https://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/indyearbyyear.shtml#2014

There are only allowed to be 4 players per year maximum http://www.hhof.com/htmlinduct/indelection.shtml (and not all years have 4 players inducted)

EHM:EA is inducting players into the hall of fame at more than double the rate that happens IRL!

While part of me thinks that maybe it'd be nice if the user "approved" hall of fame inductees, at the least I think this is a bug that needs to be fixed (to many players are getting into the hall of fame/performance criteria should be raised)

Don't take this as personal, of course, but that isn't my opinion. Riz stated his definition of "hall of fame" for the game, and I think we should accept it. Maybe "hall of fame" isn't the best name for it, but call it hall of fame, call it player gallery, call it what you want, but Riz created this feature to record some good careers for the different leagues, not to replicate the HHOF in Toronto (therefore you shouldn't ignore other leagues).

Don't take this as personal, of course, but that isn't my opinion. Riz stated his definition of "hall of fame" for the game, and I think we should accept it. Maybe "hall of fame" isn't the best name for it, but call it hall of fame, call it player gallery, call it what you want, but Riz created this feature to record some good careers for the different leagues, not to replicate the HHOF in Toronto (therefore you shouldn't ignore other leagues).
I guess you missed where I said "the point isn't the name, the point is the definition of good careers"

Could you link me to where Riz stated this? I don't recall seeing such a post

I'm OK with it not following "Toronto's rules" but I recall in EHM07 frequently feeling the hall of fame inductees were unworthy.

It seems to be still an issue in EHM:EA. There are others that feel this way too.

Don't take this as personal, but you've been wrong before + people can change their minds when given feedback (it doesn't hurt to bring it up IMO)

I just took a look at one of my test games that's in year 2030, as an NHL GM and as a KHL GM.....the two Hall of Fames have different players in them!

Here are screenshots of the 2 Hall of Fames (sorted by most Points)

HoF%20NHL.png

HoF%20KHL.png

Just curious, so I took a look at the SHL Hall of Fame.....they sure have a lot less players than the NHL/KHL!

Not even 1 full page compared to 4/5 pages for the KHL/NHL

HoF%20SHL.png

I guess you missed where I said "the point isn't the name, the point is the definition of good careers"

Could you link me to where Riz stated this? I don't recall seeing such a post

I'm OK with it not following "Toronto's rules" but I recall in EHM07 frequently feeling the hall of fame inductees were unworthy.

It seems to be still an issue in EHM:EA. There are others that feel this way too.

Don't take this as personal, but you've been wrong before + people can change their minds when given feedback (it doesn't hurt to bring it up IMO)

Unfortunately I can't recover that, but I am sure that Riz told it before, I am fairly sure he posted it even at TBL.

I frankly prefer the "HHOF" the way it is now, but I found the name weird because, as you wrote, the "real" one is a bit different.

And who is never wrong on this world :p

Archived