Sports Interactive Community
Kjelltr

Why does mood gets worse when complimenting for international performances?

So a few of my players have made debuts or scored first goals for their national teams, but when I compliment them their mood always get worse. I can accept that they might ignore it if they don't like me or something, but I can not imagine a player irl getting angry because their manager congratulate them for getting a national debut or scoring!

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? It has happend with four or five players so far...

It'll depend on your reputation, possibly vs their rep as well. I've had players new at the club (so not much of a relationship yet) be condescending when I've congratulated them. Others, who have been with me and the club for a number of years, obviously respect me, so their appreciated the praise. Your relationship with the players matter.

When I started the game I set the rep to be automatic for the club (West Ham), and then increased the mental part to former international player. I feel it's unrealistic that all the players get annoyed that their manager compliments them on a milestone in their career, and I if it's a problem with reputation it's very mismatched. One would think a former international footballer who manages a premier league team and has a continental reputation would "outrank" someone with a national or local reputation. So far I have gotten a negative response from all of the below:

Joey O'Brien scoring his first goal for Ireland

Alex Song scoring his first goal for Cameroon

Cheikhou Kouyaté for scoring his first goal for Senegal

Stephen Hendrie getting his debut for Scotland

Nikolay Dmitrev getting his debut for Estonia, an 18 year old regen

I can understand Alex Song might be condescending, but the others not so much. I still don't think many players would be annoyed that their manager complimented them in real life, at best they would just ignore it I would think.

Oh well, I guess I'll just ignore that option from now on.

I don't know why you're going from one extreme to the other. You started with the Automatic Rep, but what have you accomplished that'd make them respect you? What relationship have you built up with them? None, since it's the start of the game.

I don't know why you're going from one extreme to the other. You started with the Automatic Rep, but what have you accomplished that'd make them respect you? What relationship have you built up with them? None, since it's the start of the game.

But come on players getting angry there manager said well done for playing or scoring, it seems mental to me i would understand some players with a bad attitude or whatever but not all of them new in the club or not there is no need for players to get angry against encouragement or praise for there efforts in there international career.

But come on players getting angry there manager said well done for playing or scoring, it seems mental to me i would understand some players with a bad attitude or whatever but not all of them new in the club or not there is no need for players to get angry against encouragement or praise for there efforts in there international career.

Well, I'm sure it depends on player personality as well. It's not as simple or clear cut as has been made out. Context, as always, matters.

I don't quite understand how I am "going from one extreme to the other"? I am saying that my players get annoyed at me complimenting them. I mentioned I clicked the automatic reputation, and then *increased* it by setting it to the highest previous experience, because you said it was related to reputation. That has resulted in having a continental reputation vs the players who, except for Alex Song, all have national or lower reputation.So what you are saying is that an international player who gets into management don't deserve respect from any of his players?

I understand what you are saying about how the game works. I am saying that is very unrealistic. How many people do you know who'd get annoyed being complimented by their boss? Ignoring it would be ok, an occational bad reaction is fine, but not all of my players reacting badly.

I don't quite understand how I am "going from one extreme to the other"? I am saying that my players get annoyed at me complimenting them. I mentioned I clicked the automatic reputation, and then *increased* it by setting it to the highest previous experience, because you said it was related to reputation. That has resulted in having a continental reputation vs the players who, except for Alex Song, all have national or lower reputation.So what you are saying is that an international player who gets into management don't deserve respect from any of his players?

I understand what you are saying about how the game works. I am saying that is very unrealistic. How many people do you know who'd get annoyed being complimented by their boss? Ignoring it would be ok, an occational bad reaction is fine, but not all of my players reacting badly.

You're going from regularly using it to not using it at all. That is exactly one extreme to the other.

I said context means everything. I also didn't say rep was the only factor.

Going from regularly using what to not using what? I really don't understand...

Do you mean this sentence: "Oh well, I guess I'll just ignore that option from now on?" Because I clearly state *from now on*

It's one of those conversational pieces which I don't really know why it is in the game.

I could not have any managerial experience whatsoever and if I went up to Rooney and said "well done on your goal for England", he would likely just say "thanks gaffer" and not think about it for another second. if I was Sir Alex and told Rooney "well done on your goal for England he would likely just say "thanks gaffer" and not think about it for another second.

Tell them they'll have to keep their performance up to keep playing for the national team and first team, etc. You'll get a positive reaction.

It's one of those conversational pieces which I don't really know why it is in the game.

I could not have any managerial experience whatsoever and if I went up to Rooney and said "well done on your goal for England", he would likely just say "thanks gaffer" and not think about it for another second. if I was Sir Alex and told Rooney "well done on your goal for England he would likely just say "thanks gaffer" and not think about it for another second.

So then, from a gameplay point of view, what's the point of having it in the game if every conversation is exactly the same?

If a nobody comes to congratulate Rooney, he'll say "Thanks, Gaffer", but he'll think "Who the hell is this and why do I care?". It won't be the same if SAF does the congratulating.

So then, from a gameplay point of view, what's the point of having it in the game if every conversation is exactly the same?

If a nobody comes to congratulate Rooney, he'll say "Thanks, Gaffer", but he'll think "Who the hell is this and why do I care?". It won't be the same if SAF does the congratulating.

They normally accuse you of being condescending if you congratulate them on anything too early in game and it is basically just down to reputation because a few seasons into the game i never get a negative response and i always congratulate my players.

Maybe instead of always being a negative reaction at the beginning of a save and a positive one later there could be no morale change either way and we get a neutral response as well, that way players who are professional and have good personalities could just ignore the compliment and not get annoyed for no reason at all.

They normally accuse you of being condescending if you congratulate them on anything too early in game and it is basically just down to reputation because a few seasons into the game i never get a negative response and i always congratulate my players.

Maybe instead of always being a negative reaction at the beginning of a save and a positive one later there could be no morale change either way and we get a neutral response as well, that way players who are professional and have good personalities could just ignore the compliment and not get annoyed for no reason at all.

I've still had condescending replies later into the game as well. If there are no implications on relationship or morale, again, what would be the point of having it in the game?

I don't think there is any point in having that particular conversation in the game - it's such an odd subject to have a positive/negative coding attached to. It's a compliment.

"I thought you were excellent/poor for your country" would make more sense as then the player can do the usual "thanks" or "you must have low standards" shtick. But just saying "well done on scoring" or "well done on your first cap"? It's odd to me and a bit nonsensical.

Maybe I don't understand the complex mind of a professional footballer but I can't actually fathom a situation where your manager says to you 'congrats on the first cap!' and your reaction is 'well thats put me in a bad mood.'

I've had one player who reacted badly to me congratulating him on his first international goal. He was worried that everybody would now expect him to score regularly for his country. That made sense, and also told me that he doesn't handle pressure well. I then had to try and calm him down, although the reply I really wanted to give him - "Don't be silly, you're a central defender" - wasn't an option :lol:

Maybe the bad reactions are more linked to how they handle pressure than reputation? Because I haven't experienced it with any other players. :)

I've still had condescending replies later into the game as well. If there are no implications on relationship or morale, again, what would be the point of having it in the game?

But do you ever get a positive one early in the game? If the answer is no then it is just as predictable and pointless having it.

I don't see how having a neutral response from the player which there is no morale change as well as a negative one is a back step or pointless in fact maybe it would be more interesting because then late in game your not almost always guaranteed a morale boost and early game your not always guaranteed a drop.

But what is the point of having a button that might as well say "make this player sulk". I am not complaining that it sometimes happens, I am complaining about it always happening. There is only one result of talking to the player that way and it's negative. If, for the players I mentioned, Alex Song got mopey, O'Brian ignored it and Kouyaté got happier, then it would be understandable. What is the point of having a button that always does the same thing?

But what is the point of having a button that might as well say "make this player sulk". I am not complaining that it sometimes happens, I am complaining about it always happening. There is only one result of talking to the player that way and it's negative. If, for the players I mentioned, Alex Song got mopey, O'Brian ignored it and Kouyaté got happier, then it would be understandable. What is the point of having a button that always does the same thing?

That isn't the case though- I've had conversations with players about getting a first goal/cap that has increased morale so it doesn't always send them into a sulk.

As I keep saying, take everything into consideration. CONTEXT!

Don't worry bud, I used to think there was no point using this option but if you keep at it, eventually your players will stop complaining about it and they'll be happy you're praising them. You'll build better relationships with your players in the long run meaning they'll stick by you more often when somebody else isn't happy.

I think this part of the games bugged. I had it too. Makes no sense to offer praise.

I'm sure I praised a player and his morale went rock bottom.

Footballers hardly winch when they blantantly dive and get a penalty in real life. There not exactly emotional 14 year old school girls.

Wouldn't fancy being a Sega executive and going to SI to praise them for another no 1 PC best selling game lol

I think it is also partly related to how the players personality is.

Some of them seem to think that when you congratulate them, you also start to expect more of them and they don't know how to handle the pressure.

I don't think it's a bug, just very poor design. It should just add a prompt to praise the player for their performance, and add another text option, to the existing dialogue at club level.

I never use this feature any more, I just don't find it realistic that a player would get upset by anyone except a person he hates giving him a compliment. There are probably a few psychos like that out in the real world, but I doubt they made it very far being rude to their managers for giving them a pat on the back.

I don't understand the whole 'context' line of reasoning. Nor the whole "Who are you, screw you." reasoning.

If I go to work and I got some international commission or something, representing my country and my boss came up to me and said 'well done, it reflects well on your talent' I'm going to say 'Thank you, I appreciate it', as would most people. If it's coming from someone I admire I'd be more respectful about it, if it's coming from someone who I don't rate, I'm still not going to upset the apple cart, this is my boss after all and the workplace dynamic doesn't need to descend to petty squabbles.

A professional footballer I would assume would be more likely than not to respond in the same way as any of us do to a congratulatory message. I don't know, it seems an absolutely trivial thing to get arsey about.

A far better way of handling it would be for the player, if he has any doubts about his international career is to ask for advice from the manager, or to downplay his expectations. "Thanks boss, but I'm not sure if I made the right choice playing for Jamaica over England..." and you could ruin their day by saying the wrong thing after that, but as it stands at the moment it's just... 'Alright then, you massive manchild, keep crying into your cheerios, I'm sure when the wife breaks a nail you'll react by accusing her of cheating and subsequently filing for divorce.'

I don't understand the whole 'context' line of reasoning. Nor the whole "Who are you, screw you." reasoning.

If I go to work and I got some international commission or something, representing my country and my boss came up to me and said 'well done, it reflects well on your talent' I'm going to say 'Thank you, I appreciate it', as would most people. If it's coming from someone I admire I'd be more respectful about it, if it's coming from someone who I don't rate, I'm still not going to upset the apple cart, this is my boss after all and the workplace dynamic doesn't need to descend to petty squabbles.

A professional footballer I would assume would be more likely than not to respond in the same way as any of us do to a congratulatory message. I don't know, it seems an absolutely trivial thing to get arsey about.

A far better way of handling it would be for the player, if he has any doubts about his international career is to ask for advice from the manager, or to downplay his expectations. "Thanks boss, but I'm not sure if I made the right choice playing for Jamaica over England..." and you could ruin their day by saying the wrong thing after that, but as it stands at the moment it's just... 'Alright then, you massive manchild, keep crying into your cheerios, I'm sure when the wife breaks a nail you'll react by accusing her of cheating and subsequently filing for divorce.'

So you'd rather want the player to say "Thanks, I appreciate it" leaving you to wonder if he actually meant it or not? What if he said it, but thought something different, causing your relationship to deteriorate? How would you know then? Guess? The players are condescending at times, but you don't have to guess as to how he feels. In gameplay terms it's better.

So you'd rather want the player to say "Thanks, I appreciate it" leaving you to wonder if he actually meant it or not? What if he said it, but thought something different, causing your relationship to deteriorate? How would you know then? Guess? The players are condescending at times, but you don't have to guess as to how he feels. In gameplay terms it's better.

Body language mostly, or tone of voice. There are other methods that can be used to show whether the player respects you or not. Besides, I just gave an example of how to push a conversation down a route that can be mismanaged. If anything, I'd get more uppity or lose confidence if a manager wasn't recognising my achievements on the international stage.

I have to agree with OP on this.

Even if I was just some random no mark fanboy coming up to my idol to say hey, well done on your first goal, he will most likely say "thanks" and not think about it 2 seconds later.

I'm his manager, he knows me, I'm paying him a compliment. I don't agree with the "everyone will now expect me to score millions" arguement, especially when you then tell him "I was just saying congrats" which somehow makes matters worse.