Sports Interactive Community
stevieboyc

From 4.5 to 2.5 stars overnight?!!!

Hi everyone,

Apologies if the problem I am about to describe is well known, but I wasn't sure how to search for it.

Basically, I signed a 4.5 star rated 'world class' player (Andreu Fontas, CD from Celta Vigo) for a very reasonable fee, which was greeted with delight from the fans.

I made sure to get an up to date scout report before completing the signing just to be careful.

Sure enough, he joins and I check my squad depth to find him rated no. 1 in my team at 4.5 stars.

I progress a few days without thinking anything more of it only to find that when I check on him next he has suddenly been downgraded to 2.5 stars and is no longer described as world class!

I know that scout opinions can differ and attributes can change but this sudden drop seems ridiculous and has made the signing completely pointless.

I thought I had a new CD star but instead have been lumbered with a squad player on world class level wages.

Has anybody else encountered the same or similar problem or, if not, can anyone offer a logical explanation for this?

Maybe your scout is not as good at judging players as your coach?

or the other way round.

Some other things that could have had an affect: Did you get promoted? Did he age a year (Especially 25yo)? The rest of your squad (If they are also World Class then 2.5*-3.5* would be about right).

I think this is great. I think there should be a discrepancy in what turns up for training is a different beast to what was scouted in a foreign league. And that includes being better than what was signed. So I'm not sure exactly what a 19/20 JA JPA scout has over a 12/13 which are what my scouts are. They do pretty well in identifying good signings.

I don't think it's great now that I'm lumbered with a 3rd choice CD on 150k per week, but I know what you're saying. No promotion or birthday as far as I'm aware and he's not suddenly surrounded by other world class players. He's gone from supposedly world class to 3rd choice behind the mighty Lovren at Liverpool!

I doubt his stats have dropped so he'll still be the same player he was a few days ago, assuming that there isn't a bug at work all that has happened is that your assistant manager does not agree with the assessment of the player however you are free to disregard your assistant & use him as your starting CB, he'll either prove the assistant wrong or become an expensive flop, all nice & realistic in my book.

There have been a few issues with start ratings however they alll seem to be linked to having too many players on loan or trial so this which I do not believe will count in your situation but to rule out a possible bug it's probably worth starting a thread in here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/450-Scouting

SI will need a save before the star ratings drop as they can look at the true before & after values

I'm only celtic. the only reason I've tons of cash is i signed odegaard for buttons and sold him for about 80m all in. and yet when i scout, scout and rescue before spending 15-25m on a player, my scouts say sign at all costs, then my coaches say useful player......

I'm only celtic. the only reason I've tons of cash is i signed odegaard for buttons and sold him for about 80m all in. and yet when i scout, scout and rescue before spending 15-25m on a player, my scouts say sign at all costs, then my coaches say useful player......

I suspect then that you need to look either at your scouts or your coaches in terms of what their JCA and JPA attributes are. Alternatively, when you scout a player, do you scout him fully before buying? In other words, does the scout report say there are any areas left to assess? Also, generally is the scout report from a date reasonably close to when you bought the player? A couple times I've almost been burned when I looked at a player who my scout said was 4.5* but it turned out that scout report was over a year old and from when my team was a league down.

You can see his stats and judge how good he is for yourself...

The star ratings are guidelines based on the opinion of a particular scout and/or coach. Ultimately, just because they may think he should be 3rd choice doesn't make it so. Likewise, a scout saying a player is world class doesn't make it so. Even if you scout a player for months doesn't mean the information will be 100% accurate, indeed far from it.

As the manager your job is to take on board the advice of others and make a decision yourself. Did you scout him? For instance, watch him in a game? Compare his stats? Did you assign different scouts to look him over to get a varied opinion?

i get it it all the time,only the other way.

for example i scout a player ,scout says he's a bum avoid signing and then my rivals sign them and then he becomes a God.

Always look at attributes and report details ahead of star ratings.

In my save where I have just joined Lowestoft in the VCS from an unemployed start, there is a DR (DC/WBR/DM/MRC) in the squad called Jack Ainsley whom the coaching staff rate as 4.5 stars (most players are 3 or less) and therefore regard him as a decent player for most VC sides.

It's true he has 'green' attributes for Bra/Det/Tea/Lea/Wor/Nat/Sta, but his heading is '2' and aggression/jumping reach '5' and positioning '6', which in my mind makes him unsuitable for his preferred role as a DR, even at this level.

The coaches also state that he dreads big matches, is a very inconsistent performer and doesn't have the ambitious character trait of most of the squad. This is borne out by his average rating of 6.54 from 13(1).

At best I'm going to use him as a squad player, with two other players slightly better attributes (but lower star ratings) preferable starters at right-back.

As a few people have stated before, his star rating (i.e. his comparative ability compared to your squad) has changed (for any of a multitude of reasons), have his actual ATTRIBUTES changed? Does he still have 18 Marking, 20 Tackling and 16 Concentration? Then he is still the world class player you thought you had signed.

Also when your scouts find what they believe to be a quality player. So I then get the AssMan to scout him. All seems good so you sign him only to find the second you do the assistant manager has changed his opinion and decides he's average at best!

I think SI might be wise to do away with the star rating system- to less in depth players it looks like a pretty unequivocal mark of player quality and I don't blame anyone for reading it that way. If you don't know all the little intricacies of the star system (which I didn't until I started posting on here) it is unsurprising people think a 4 star player is better than a 3 star player, or a player who is rated 2 stars in one position but 4 in another is much suited to the latter. The little green circles on the tactics screen don't much help either as it makes the star system more prominent and even ranks players for each position based on their star rating.

I don't think there is a need to change much, the help pop-up is quite clear.

STAR RATING

Stars show how good a member of your backroom team thinks the player is in comparison to your current squad. The star rating might differ depending on who you ask as some coaches and scouts are better than others.

Uncertainty

Star ratings have an 'uncertainty' factor applied to them for players you're unfamiliar with or haven't scouted fully. The longer you your scout a player, the narrower the range of uncertainty will become, which in turn will allow you to get a better idea of how good he is.

Other than adding in that uncertainty also applies to younger players at your club & I'm not sure what more SI can do to make it clear what the star rating system is.

As for the tactics screen the help pop-up is

Player Suitability

The suitability indicator shows how well suited a player is for the selected position, role and duty.

When hovering over the tactic screen suitability icon the pop-up is

Positional ability as [position] [side]

Natural/Accomplished/Competent....

Suitability as [role]

Excellent/Good Fairly Good.../Poor rating for the first team

Again it's fairly self explanatory so long as time is taken to read the help pop-ups & tool-tips.

Check your coach or ass man stats, they may be good coaches but sometimes they are crap at spotting talent, also check to see your rep of your scouts, regional/national/international etc that also makes a difference.

Check your coach or ass man stats, they may be good coaches but sometimes they are crap at spotting talent, also check to see your rep of your scouts, regional/national/international etc that also makes a difference.

This is completely new to me. How does the scouts reputation affect his ability to evaluate the ability of the player?

I thought that the main thing would be the judging attributes, then for example determination and adaptability, if used as roaming scout.

What effect does the scout reputation have (other than how much money he wants)?

Don't forget that your scouts can judge them on how they are against your current players, but your coaches will have different stats and compare them to the other players in his position.

If your scouts are not good scouts, then their report may be wrong compared to the coaches, or vice versa.

I'd still play him and you'll probably see him improve.

Star ratings are no comparison to how he performs on pitch, for example I had 2 star defender who won defender of the year and world defender of the year for many seasons.

There's plenty of real life scenarios for World Class players being below average at clubs, Veron, Schvenko, Kaka, Denilson, Mendieta, etc.

Sometimes players just don't work out at new clubs.

the player might be world class with 4.5 stars at his old club but when he arrived at your club and the Database progressed a few in game days and updated, then when the player came to your club, when he is put next to other players in your squad, maybe the game thinks he is now 2.5 stars cos you have players at your club better than him and then his star average is decreased for that reason?

Just train him right, select good PPM and play him regularly and you might just see his stars increase again over time.

I don't think it's great now that I'm lumbered with a 3rd choice CD on 150k per week, but I know what you're saying. No promotion or birthday as far as I'm aware and he's not suddenly surrounded by other world class players. He's gone from supposedly world class to 3rd choice behind the mighty Lovren at Liverpool!

Fuuny you should mention Lovren, since Liverpool signed him as the new star of their defence, only for him to not live up to expectations and drop to about 5th choice DC.

It happens IRL, so why not in your game?

On my Gillingham save I had a centre back rated as 2 stars score around 7.4 over a season. I moved to Crystal palace, scouted him and was told not to bother. I almost didn't. A pre season injury to my centre back and a quick enquiry to my former club saw me signing the centre back.

I stuck him on the bench and after a few bad performances from one of my centre backs I dropped him in to the team he kept his place and ended up in the Championship team of the year. I agree with most of the above. Give him a game and see how he does.

Been playing CM/FM for 15+ years, trust me star ratings mean nothing just go by the attributes, I signed Rojo from Man Utd in 2017/18 season on my current Arsenal save he has superb stats for a CB including 20 for marking but was rated only 2 stars when he arrived but after a few months its jumped to 4 stars, so just play him and ignore the star rating its all about the attributes.