"Knocks"

Is there a way to reduce the frequency of in-match "knocks"? (I mean a setting, not doing all of the usual preventive things like not playing tired players, etc.) I personally do not enjoy having my substitutions dictated all the time by who has "taken a knock", but others may like it, so maybe it would be nice to allow players to tweak it.

Frequency aside, I think the current "knock" system is unrealistic and an example of a game feature which actually makes things more difficult for us armchair managers than they are for our real-life counterparts. A player's overall health is represented as an integer between 0 and 100, much like you might find in an arcade fighting game. The problem is that this single metric is used to represent both "energy level" (how tired a player is) and "injury severity", with severely injured players being at the 25%-or-lower mark (or thereabouts). A player may become injured in-match, at which point his number drops significantly -- but over time it may either increase or decrease, without any indication to the manager which direction is more likely. In real life, a player can communicate to his manager how he is feeling either directly or by interacting with the physio, who usually can give the manager some direction regarding whether the player should continue. Sometimes this sort of thing is simulated in the game with "hard" injuries, where the red-cross icon appears over the player's head (and occasionally we are required to sub because the player cannot continue) -- but these are much more rare than the all-too-frequent "knock".

The in-game feedback from your Assistant will usually advise that the player has taken a knock and will shake it off. This is your cue to keep an eye on his condition level and if it drops and stays down, then you sub him. If it drops initially and goes back up, then a substitution is not required.

How about the ability to tune the frequency? I feel unable to make tactical substitutions because I am either forced to play whack-a-mole with knocked players or am too worried about future injuries to use up my subs. From the football I watch on TV it looks like this is usually not the case for real-life managers.

I don't understand how I can start a player at 100% fitness, he takes a "knock", drops to only 87% fitness, but the game stops and makes me sub him out, and then after the game, there's no noted injury. If I didn't know any better (although I do), I'd think the game's saying to itself "Hey, let's make him make a substitution 12 minutes into the game for reason other than to take away one of his 2nd-half substitutions!"

How about the ability to tune the frequency? I feel unable to make tactical substitutions because I am either forced to play whack-a-mole with knocked players or am too worried about future injuries to use up my subs. From the football I watch on TV it looks like this is usually not the case for real-life managers.

There won't be an option to tune the frequency. I can quite confidently say that. It's a simulation.

You don't always have to sub everyone who has picked up knock. You can refer to the widgets and their condition to assess whether they need to be subbed.

I hate the one where you bring a sub on (both fitness is over 90% and less than 30 minutes to go in the match) and a couple of minutes later he's coming off on a stretcher.

The in-game feedback from your Assistant will usually advise that the player has taken a knock and will shake it off. This is your cue to keep an eye on his condition level and if it drops and stays down, then you sub him. If it drops initially and goes back up, then a substitution is not required.
The 'Performance' widget is also useful for this. It shows if a player is able to continue playing without any affect from the knock, wants to continue playing or his performance is being affected by his knock.

As for the OP there are already 3 factors that reflect a players overall health, Condition, Match Fitness & Jadedness (hidden value).

I don't understand how I can start a player at 100% fitness, he takes a "knock", drops to only 87% fitness, but the game stops and makes me sub him out, and then after the game, there's no noted injury. If I didn't know any better (although I do), I'd think the game's saying to itself "Hey, let's make him make a substitution 12 minutes into the game for reason other than to take away one of his 2nd-half substitutions!"

The assman will tell you if a substitution is needed. A message will come up saying "x player has picked up a knock and should be substituted as soon as possible". Otherwise it will say "x player has picked up a knock but should be able to shake/run it off" so you get a clue as to the severity of the injury. I take those minor knocks as something which don't count as actual injuries (like a minor bruise or something like that).

Tell that to the coach of my team, last weekend our striker went down after clashing with the keeper, took a knock but was allowed to carried on. Went on to score a goal, but after the game it turned out he tore a cruciate ligament. Extreme case but I'm sure coaches have to make those decisions in pretty much every match.

It has already been mentioned, but i also think the "performance" widget is very useful. It give some indication about how bad the knock is.

I always have that widget on for both my team and the opponent.

The thing that i find strange is that CPU controlled managers often keep players with status "hampered by injury" on, even for the full duration of the match. I always substitute immediately with that status.

So that is why we have things like 'become unsackable' and the in-game editor?

The unsackable option is in FMC, so that's not relevant. There was a big demand for the editor. What exactly it can do and is used for, I don't know and don't care.

Archived