Are players listed as Wonderkids in their profile anymore?

Are they at your club?

It could be that the wonderkid tag was removed as part of the scouting revamp, I imagine it would be too easy to find the best youngsters without scouting if their profile labelled them as a wonderkid.

I'm sure I've still seen the term used in the media which is the best place for it, this could be FM's merging into one though so it could be gone from FM15 entirely.

In the grand scheme of things how much does it really matter though?

I've dug through one of my saves trying to find a wonderkid description. I found one player who is 20, has a CA of 177, and there's no wonderkid description in his profile.

I have, however, seen the description in news items, particularly match recaps, so it does still exist in the game. Maybe it just doesn't show up in the player profile anymore?

Just had a look into my Arsenal squad (new save, first season), and there's 2 players that have their "media description" as "wonderkids"; Chambers, and Marquinhos (bought from PSG in the first window). I believe once these players are considered established first team players, they lose their "wonderkid" label, regardless of how wonderous or kiddy they are. For example, looking up Ødegaard, while he's at his club Strømsgodset, he's just described as a midfielder. He's considered established first team player in his team. If I were to buy him for Arsenal, his media description would probably change to wonderkid. Then looking at someone like Samper at Barcelona, his description is wonderkid again. Had he been bought by a club like ... Derby, his description would probably change.

Those playing with the updated database may look up Ødegaard at Real Madrid (or Castilla), what's his description there?

I have two players, one 20 and one 19 year old in my team and they're listed as wonderkids. It's found in the Information tab. Barside might have a point that you can't see it for players not fully scouted though.

I'm taking a complete flyer on that, it sounds plausible though.

You may have a point though. I've had players that I almost bought from small South American clubs, that didn't have that description. They ended up signing for a big club like Real Madrid and suddenly they're listed as a wonderkid. So it may have something to do with scouting knowledge.

Are they at your club?

It could be that the wonderkid tag was removed as part of the scouting revamp, I imagine it would be too easy to find the best youngsters without scouting if their profile labelled them as a wonderkid.

I'm sure I've still seen the term used in the media which is the best place for it, this could be FM's merging into one though so it could be gone from FM15 entirely.

It doesn't but was just enquiring.

I have two players, one 20 and one 19 year old in my team and they're listed as wonderkids. It's found in the Information tab. Barside might have a point that you can't see it for players not fully scouted though.

That would make sense. Will have a look.

Are they at your club?

I really believe not being on your club could be it. In my last season I got a 'sign whatever the price' recommendation on a 18 year old and did the whole scout for three months and looked him over every time I got a scouting report, I finally bought him, set up his training and started rotating him into the lineup and by midseason he was my starting striker in the premier league. I hadn't really looked at his information after signing him until then and when I did it said 'wonderkid'.

Now I can't swear it didn't say it before I signed him. But as often as I reviewed his profile before signing (and I always watch the information screen) it's extremely unlikely I would have missed it. So something caused the wonderkid designation to appear at some point after my scout discovered him, I bet it was when he joined the team.

Then again, his previous club should have known if that is the case and I really didn't have to pay that much for him, he was just a 'I've got some spare change left in the transfer budget and he looks like a pretty good prospect' buy.....

Either way as the post earlier shows it is definitely still in the game.

So something caused the wonderkid designation to appear at some point after my scout discovered him, I bet it was when he joined the team.

I think the descriptions can change fairly often as well, just like the 'dubbed the new/next X' label. I think it depends on a combination of factors like the attribute spread, age and PA-CA.

I've got a newgen in my side who has been there since I was hired. He wasn't a wonderkid in his description at the time. A season of football later and he suddently has it (I only noticed as it was mentioned in a news item). A season later and it is gone.

In a similar fashion I've had players dubbed the next Shearer or Lineker either lose the tag or become labelled the next Hesky or Owen etc.

Being a first team member doesn't matter. I have a wonderkid who has been playing pretty much everything for two seasons and he's still listed as a Wonderkid by the media, despite being a key player for my squad. You can also see the Wonderkid media status for players not at your club, but as Barside said it might not work for players you haven't fully scouted.

One thing about the media description though, I seem to recall that in the previous versions a player needed to have at least like 160 or 170 PA to be considered a wonderkid. Am I simply remembering that wrong? As in FM15 I've seen players with a Wonderkid description, that had decent CA for their age but actually already reached their PA.

• 1 year later...
Are they at your club?

This sounds spot on to me. I've had a few players on my save who after joining have the wonderkid but didn't at their previous clubs when I was viewing their profile.

Archived