Defenders average rating is too high

In my game defenders seem to get an Average Rating that is way too high. In the first batch of real players the balance seems to be off already, with the Hart Memorial Trophy going more often to defenders than is realistic. But when newgens get into the game the balance is lost completely: I have simulated to 2057 and 49 of the top 50 NHL players with highest Average Rating this season is a defender. So 49 defenders with ratings between 8.04 and 9.09 and just one attacker, on the 50th place, rated 8.03. Also the Hart Memorial Trophy has gone only to defenders for the last +/- 30 years, with the top 3 always solely consisting of defenders. Can this be looked into? :)

Other then that, great game! :)

ajwgnb.jpg

Just did a new game [1502b] w/o the TBL rosters and the first 4 MVPs and Player's player MVP were all defensemen.

How far into the game did you get? Might be worth uploading a saved game so Riz can see the spread of Ability in the future?

Just did a new simulation game with the original database provided by SI, it's 2024 now.

All Most Valuable Player awards from 2014 until now went to defenders.

League Top 50 Average rating are mostly (about 90%) defenders. Highest rating for an attacker is 7.95, at the 18th place. Highest rated player overall (a defender) is 8.79. It seems that the farthest I simulate into the future, the stronger defenders become over attackers...

• 3 weeks later...

I just simmed to 2028 in 15.2b and see this problem hasn't been fixed yet. Most valuable player awards have only been won by defenders and the top 50 highest av in the league are 90% defenders.

Think it is indeed a quick sim vs all problem...

In my league (QMJHL and sim set to all) only 4 D-Men are in the top 50 in ratings. In the OHL and WHL though (set to quick sim), it's more like 45 D-Men in the top 50... And #50 having a rating as high as my #1.

Nothing game breaking since the game doesn't seem to rely too much (at least for the junior leagues) on ratings for the drafts.. and since you can't make trades between leagues...

Although, something I do find annoying in my game is how harsh the game is on rating defensemen. Even though they have, imo, great stats (my best D-Man is 38 pts in 59 games, +15, on my first pk and 2nd pp line) the game keep giving crappy ratings (6.36 for my player)

Would be nice if the game could take more in consideration stuff like blocked shots, pp killed, takeaways and less stuff like points and penalties.

I think the problem is in leagues using quicksim. The stay at home defenders get very high ratings. In normal leagues, that we actualy manage in, these same stay at home defenseman hardy get a rating average better than 6.2, there is something wrong with these kind of players. I drafted what seemed to be a stud crease clearing defenseman, he tore up the AHL even posting a 9+ average for a year, however he would rarely crack a rating above 6 in the NHL.

Quick sim--too high ratings for dmen, too much emphasis on dmen.

Regular game---Ratings for ALL players not just dmen are much lower than in EHM 2007.Harder to get high ratings, harder to get star players,

In 2007 I would not call a guy up from minors unless he was averaging at least 7.5 game ratings (and preferred 8). IN EHM EA...7.25 rating is high enough to call guys up and they perform decently in many cases.

The average ratings for players in a game you are managing in (regular game) is much more skewed to the middle...average player. The standout stars do not stand out as much, and the scrubs do not stand out as much. This is something that to me....is good. This is the way the game of hockey is going. No Gretzky on one end, Murzyn on the other. Everyone skews to the middle of the pack. PARITY of players and teams.

Archived