Is there any chance to see a power play and penalty kill specific attribute? because it seems that ,given the natural proneness of a player to play at one position, the best option is to play wit 2 defensemen in PP whereas a team usually uses only one on the first unit

Hm, interesting point. I use a scoring forward in the left defense position on my first powerplay unit. Now I'm curious about exactly which stats are negatively impacted by playing out-of-position. I wonder whether a defenseman playing a forward position is affected differently than a forward playing a defensive position. Perhaps I should start practicing the forward in that position?

Very player specific tactic, not all teams do this - but I like the idea of maybe an option in the tactics screen. Training a forward in a defensive position makes very little sense for hockey. It just doesn't happen. At most, it could be like a player PPM (FM-speak) that could benefit a forward to play defense, or a defenseman to screen the goalie on the PP.

There are plenty of teams that play four forwards on the powerplay, some even play with five. With a quarterbacking forward at the point, they are still "behaving" like a forward, in a sense. Their role is still offensive, so I'm concerned whether playing them out-of-position on the powerplay affects their offensive stats. It shouldn't. This is why I'm curious about training a forward in a defensive position, to prevent their offensive stats from suffering when playing the point on the powerplay. And I'm pretty certain almost all teams in real life use player-specific tactics.

Archived