I know at NHL level it's all draft. Can't see why you wouldn't get good players from unusual countries. I just started a save with Boston, and their top prospect is Latvian, which I thought was odd, but apparently their NT is top 10 in the world.

How does youth intake and development differ from Football Manager 2015? Where do you get young players from? Is there the chance you could get a young player through from a really unusual country or do all your youths come from your club's home country?

How it works is u can draft prospects from rookie draft aka 7 round draft from, CHL (junior leagues ohl, who and qmjhl), then there's college league which u will have Americans from and Canadians or u can draft a player from Europe usually has Czech players etc playing in Europe...

Each junior club which is ohl, Ontario junior league in Canada, who which is western Canada junior league and qmjhl is junior league around Quebec... Each of those teams can carry two import players who are drafted from the CHL import draft..some imports can sign with their junior team and some players will want to stay in Europe....

If the European is drafted by CHL team but doesn't want to sign if their rights are owned by those CHL teams u can assign him down to that CHL club.. If the player is drafted by the nhl with not being drafted by a CHL team then those nhl teams can sign those European players can be assigned to ahl at any age..

If ur drafted by CHL club and ur Canadian or American and okay in CHL if ur drafted by nhl u must remain in CHL until u turn 20.. If u okay college and get drafted u can be assigned by ur nhl team to your ahl team at any age..

There has been Norway players in ahl, nhl, some Great Britain players, Swiss players I hope this kind of helps

How does youth intake and development differ from Football Manager 2015? Where do you get young players from? Is there the chance you could get a young player through from a really unusual country or do all your youths come from your club's home country?

If you play in America or Canada (NHL, AHL, ECHL, OHL, WHL, QMJHL), you won't get any youth intake in the FM15 style. NHL and CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) have drafts for your new players. The European leagues however will be similar to FM in that you do get newgen youth players appear at your club, and from memory, will all be from your home country. These are more random appearing and not in a big block like with FM though.

How it works is u can draft prospects from rookie draft aka 7 round draft from, CHL (junior leagues ohl, who and qmjhl), then there's college league which u will have Americans from and Canadians or u can draft a player from Europe usually has Czech players etc playing in Europe...

Each junior club which is ohl, Ontario junior league in Canada, who which is western Canada junior league and qmjhl is junior league around Quebec... Each of those teams can carry two import players who are drafted from the CHL import draft..some imports can sign with their junior team and some players will want to stay in Europe....

If the European is drafted by CHL team but doesn't want to sign if their rights are owned by those CHL teams u can assign him down to that CHL club.. If the player is drafted by the nhl with not being drafted by a CHL team then those nhl teams can sign those European players can be assigned to ahl at any age..

If ur drafted by CHL club and ur Canadian or American and okay in CHL if ur drafted by nhl u must remain in CHL until u turn 20.. If u okay college and get drafted u can be assigned by ur nhl team to your ahl team at any age..

There has been Norway players in ahl, nhl, some Great Britain players, Swiss players I hope this kind of helps

If you play in America or Canada (NHL, AHL, ECHL, OHL, WHL, QMJHL), you won't get any youth intake in the FM15 style. NHL and CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) have drafts for your new players. The European leagues however will be similar to FM in that you do get newgen youth players appear at your club, and from memory, will all be from your home country. These are more random appearing and not in a big block like with FM though.

Thanks for explaining it to me - makes a lot more sense now :)

I've always found the draft system slightly confusing, but that simplified it for me.

Sounds like the European leagues get newgen/regen players in a similar manner to an older CM/FM, so hopefully they can update the youth intake system later.

Thanks for explaining it to me - makes a lot more sense now :)

I've always found the draft system slightly confusing, but that simplified it for me.

Sounds like the European leagues get newgen/regen players in a similar manner to an older CM/FM, so hopefully they can update the youth intake system later.

I have a feeling a similar thing happens in North America but at the grass roots level like the triple A teams and minor leagues getting newgens that are then taken into the CHL and NCAA

I know at NHL level it's all draft. Can't see why you wouldn't get good players from unusual countries. I just started a save with Boston, and their top prospect is Latvian, which I thought was odd, but apparently their NT is top 10 in the world.

Just as an aside, if you're playing in the NHL it is very rare to find any good players from unusual countries. IRL, only four countries play a significant role in developing NHL talent: Canada, USA, Russia and Sweden. Not far behind is Finland (known for developing quality goaltenders) and to a lesser extent, Czech Rep. Outside of these six countries, it's likely rare to find any quality players. Keep this in mind when you're setting up you're scouts.

I will focus my best scouts on these 6 countries, and will let scouting the NHL Entry draft fill in any promising Latvian, Slovak, Belorussian, Swiss, or Danish U-18 players.

If you're unfamiliar with the NHL Draft system, just know that it is very important to set your best scouts on NHL Entry Draft. NCAA is a bit different, and many promising young players' rights are not owned by an NHL team until after they complete their college program - after which they can be signed. I haven't tried signing any college players in the early release version so not sure of its exact mechanics just yet.

Around December, be sure to send some of your best scouts to watch the U-20 world championships.

Just as an aside, if you're playing in the NHL it is very rare to find any good players from unusual countries. IRL, only four countries play a significant role in developing NHL talent: Canada, USA, Russia and Sweden. Not far behind is Finland (known for developing quality goaltenders) and to a lesser extent, Czech Rep. Outside of these six countries, it's likely rare to find any quality players. Keep this in mind when you're setting up you're scouts.

I will focus my best scouts on these 6 countries, and will let scouting the NHL Entry draft fill in any promising Latvian, Slovak, Belorussian, Swiss, or Danish U-18 players.

If you're unfamiliar with the NHL Draft system, just know that it is very important to set your best scouts on NHL Entry Draft. NCAA is a bit different, and many promising young players' rights are not owned by an NHL team until after they complete their college program - after which they can be signed. I haven't tried signing any college players in the early release version so not sure of its exact mechanics just yet.

Around December, be sure to send some of your best scouts to watch the U-20 world championships.

Cheers for all that, I just bought up all the available free scouts that are in the 20/20 19/19 range, and set one to scout each of the options, and one on each of the active countries, so draft, youngsters, USA, Russia, Canada, Sweden, Finland.

I have a feeling a similar thing happens in North America but at the grass roots level like the triple A teams and minor leagues getting newgens that are then taken into the CHL and NCAA

Yes, you are right; there are newgens created and assigned to lower level teams where they move into the CHL, or to NCAA teams

Archived