Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access is Live! Official Feedback Thread

• Administrators

We are now live with EHM: Early Access!

Purchase information from Steam can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/301120

Please leave any feedback here.

Bug Reports should be reported in this forum: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/471-Eastside-Hockey-Manager-Early-Access-Bugs-Forum

FAQ Forum here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/472-Eastside-Hockey-Manager-Early-Access-FAQ-and-Support

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
Don't know how to get it in windowed mode (widescreen laptop, default resolution of 1366x768) but maybe there's a way.

It's 1024 x 768 resolution at the moment, you can run in Windowed mode at this size or the Full Screen option.

You could try the Steam Launch Options command for -small_screen -windowed to force windowed mode, but you may need to hide your task bar or move it to the side of the screen to see everything.

I play FM in windowed mode, but not at the size of my screen if that makes sense... its in a box of its own, so for example I can have steam chat and maybe Chrome running on the same screen at the same time.

Can i do that with this? Or is windowed mode a full screen as such?

Hope that makes sense!

heavy EHM 2007 and FM player since then here:

background is too bright, specially on player profiles it becomes hard sometimes to see the attributes clearly also the font is too thin I think, or something

the attribute polygon is a nice touch to quickly get an idea of a player's attributes, FM has done it nicely to keep it in their game, can it be added?

when launched the game and scrolled through the first couple of news, I tried moving around them with the arrow keys like in FM and it doesn't work, it's way more useful than having to click on the news subjects everytime and less risky than pressing spacebar as you can easily advance through a date you actually wanted to do something in

I'll try and post more impressions at some point

Bring Back Continue Game Timeout, please.

Also, when you are at the screen and hit submit team when you have players that need to be assigned a bumber, it would be good to have something popping up that says "You need to assign one or more players a number to continue"

• Administrators
I play FM in windowed mode, but not at the size of my screen if that makes sense... its in a box of its own, so for example I can have steam chat and maybe Chrome running on the same screen at the same time.

Can i do that with this? Or is windowed mode a full screen as such?

Hope that makes sense!

Windowed mode is 1024*768 pixels, fixed size, so yes, you could do other things too if your screen size is large enough.

So this is minor but here...

"Welcome to Dinamo Riga... founded in 2008...

We have never won the cup but we came runner-up in 1988"

Just looks odd, while it's true it's worded in a confusing way. Maybe adding something like "founded to compete in the KHL in 2008"

Also on Nationality when editing your own GM info it only lists Sudan when there is now a South Sudan :p

Enjoying the game, downloaded custom database from the blueline website :thup: just slightly gutted can't play as the Fife Flyers in the uk elite league :(

So hopefully you guys can make the uk leagues playable soon :thup: still a great game and only going to get better :D

the interface feels strange and could be streamlined more i do not like the colour scheme either its either to dark and boring or too light also the commentary bar is hard to follow as it goes too quick and the game keeps putting me back onto my desktop. the game in full screen does not fill up my screen either and i can not window it strangely also icing is inconsistent it is either called all the time or not at all in the 4 games i have played. the lack if 3d sucks but i understand that it is early access and may be added in this or a future version but so far a good game 4/5

Just feeling my way around the menus and such(new to EHM), two things I miss from FM are the Attribute Analysis Polygon, and the CA/PA(edit: or more accurately, the perceived CA/PA) star ratings for players. They're very handy to get a quick bead on who are your best players, worst player, hottest prospects, and what areas they excel in.

Just feeling my way around the menus and such(new to EHM), two things I miss from FM are the Attribute Analysis Polygon, and the CA/PA(edit: or more accurately, the perceived CA/PA) star ratings for players. They're very handy to get a quick bead on who are your best players, worst player, hottest prospects, and what areas they excel in.

Star ratings would be an excellent addition!

I think adding a Exit to Start Menu option or even a Load Game in the in game settings drop down would be a great little addition. As I tend to have a few games on the go and jump between saves it would be great to not have to exit the game all the time to play another save.

Another little tweak I would like to see is that "Fast Find" drop down on the menu bar doesn't automatically close when you click elsewhere on the screen like the other menu drop downs. Not a major issue but would be nice not to have to click it again to close it.

When clicking on next unread button in news section when the last new post is read, the button changes to unread all. This is annoying for me because i use that to go quickly through news and i always end up pressing the unread all button at the end. So i suggest that the buttons keep their position in the news section, maybe grey out when not available?

Bought it today on a whim, even though I know nothing about hockey (or very little...about as much as I knew about soccer/football before I bought FM). Was excited to see there's actually a Wichita franchise down in the lower US level, so that's where I'll start my explorations. Interface looks familiar, will just have to click about and see what I can find. *sigh* One week until major league baseball opens and I'm playing a hockey simulator.

I see that star ratings do exist, in the scout reports, I think I'll hire a scout to scout my own squad, as a work around.

This isn't quite the same, but there is a Team Report that gives you a breakdown of your players and prospects. It's very useful but isn't easy to find in this version.

From your Roster screen, click on the Actions button in the top right, and select View Team Report.

oLss0Yg.jpg

I see that star ratings do exist, in the scout reports, I think I'll hire a scout to scout my own squad, as a work around.

This might have worked better if I had people scouting the other clubs I had players(or player rights) at.

This isn't quite the same, but there is a Team Report that gives you a breakdown of your players and prospects. It's very useful but isn't easy to find in this version.

From your Roster screen, click on the Actions button in the top right, and select View Team Report.

oLss0Yg.jpg

I've been looking at it, and it's quite helpful, but still not giving me everything I'm used to.

I'm spoiled by Football Manager to be honest. Missing the star ratings on my roster/squad list, detailed coach reports on every player at my club or loaned or at farm teams, the attribute analysis polygon. Some of the holidaying options like apply for all jobs and return when offered a job. I should be able to tell my chief scout to deal with all assignment issues too. Being able to drag my pointer and highlight multiple players on my scout or squad list, so I can ask for all to be scouted, offered out, put on waivers, or whatever.

Scout reports could include a rough estimate of who/what I'd have to give up in trade for a player I want too. I'd like to be able to ask my staff to recommend players too, like I want say a scoring forward, they could give me a list of some to scout or try to trade for(like the DOF can do in FM).

I know comparing it to FM might be a touch unfair, as that's has 8 years of solid development and growth, while EHM is taking quite a massive jump. I can only compare to what I know, though. Of course more experienced EHM players may not need/want/care for any of this stuff, even perhaps considering it could have a negative impact?

Now, back to reading the manuals and hockey tactics...

Suggestion for the PbP

I think it would be easier to read the PbP if the last event stayed on the screen until the next event happens instead of it reverting to the location of the game.

The text flashes so fast that its impossible to read and following the action at the same time.

Playing the game, almost exactly as I remember EHM 2007. I understand the changes are more behind the scenes but I'll put my thoughts in.

Positives

1. Trade AI is better overall (I'll get to the negatives later)

2. Regens are definitely noticeably more balanced in terms of their ratings compared to 2007

3. Financial/general NHL rules have been updated for the most part

4. It's hockey, it's EHM

Negatives

1. A lot of annoying things that existed in EHM still are there. For instance, if you wanted to find expired RFA players without a contract. You can't use the simple filters that are in the game, you have to do some crazy custom filtering Like Rights: Pro, Contract: UFA..bla etc.

2. While trade AI has been improved overall now it's impossible to acquire draft picks now. I understand this was probably to prevent abuse in trading but if I'm trying to trade for the number 25 pick. #30, #40, 42 should be more than enough. It's almost like there's some kind of AI logic that 1st round pick cannot be acquired for 2nd round picks. It's not impossible but I have to go through 10 different teams picking between 20-30 before one bit. Value for players does not fetch picks. A second liner rental should fetch you a low first round pick. Not happening in EHM. Curiously, it seems really easy to trade anyone for 4th round picks.

3. Waivers are still screwed up. Computer will trade for a player than waive him. Or AI will claim a player than waive him.

4. The interface feels dated. It looks good enough but I can't help but compare it to FM 15 which is unfair as FM has nearly a decade more of development time (and even more before EHM was first sold) but FM is so much more functional in terms of linking, easy access.

Things I'd like to see improved in the short term

1. The transactional AI mentioned above

2. Stat tweaking. While you no longer see 120+ point players like you did in EHM 2007, there are way too many PPG players.

3. Fully capture the new CBA to include ability to eat part of a contract when trading (AKA Keith Yandle)

4. Screen resolution. Don't really need to say more about this.

5. Practice update. FM practice is fairly transparent with its star system now. Seriously without Malhotra's EHM's old practice guide, I would have no idea where to start with this.

Things I'd like to see improved in the long run

1. Interface, interface interface. Information should be easier to access.

2. Better player personality interactions. Right now it seems the only thing I can do is set player status or offer new contract.

3. Advanced stats

4. Customizability. FM makes it easy to change colors of text, window size etc. I remember in EHM to change this stuff you had to screw up with a cfg file and adjust the red blue green levels to get the color you wanted for attributes.

5. Visual game engine (this is a huge project so more of a super long term goal). Watching matches is not that important to me but I must admit FM's new game engine is so improved, it's captivating at times.

EHM 2007 was a very good game but it was much less immersive and polished than even FM 07. I understand it's unfair to compare EHM to even FM 07 as EHM only had a few years of development before it was put on hold to begin with and now it's even farther behind the curve. FM also has significantly more resources at its disposable (hey it had Riz doing just a portion of the game). I mention FM because it's so good it made me a soccer fan. It's not perfect but its hands down my favorite sports sim to play even though soccer is still probably only my 4th favorite sport overall. Hopefully EHM development continues and slowly approached such levels of sport sim goodness. It's probably more realistic to compare it to OOTP (probably my second favorite sports sim and has maybe 85% of what I want in a sim) in terms of development but I hope to see EHM to be so good it creates new hockey fans, like FM converted me :).

I've got some feedback on the simulation which I posted at TBL but I figured I would also post it here too. Thanks a ton for bringing back this game, I'll always support any new EHM game that comes out purely because I got so much value from EHM 2007.

A few observations regarding simulation so far:

- Defensemen don't create their own offence. Karlsson on the Sens puts up 25-35 points per season because they don't have a high scoring forward group. I went and put him on the Caps and he jumped to 53 points (still way too low btw) due to having better offensive players on the team. Guys like Karlsson, Subban and Giordano are going to put up huge numbers regardless of their teammates, they drive the play offensively with their breakout ability and vision. Offensive defensemen have more impact on forwards production compared to the other way around.

- Line mates influence production too much. Pat Maroon on the 3rd line of Anaheim for me put up 25 points. On the 1st line he put up 66. Playing with Getzlaf and Perry and getting additional ice time should boost ones production but it shouldn't be to the tune of 41 points. Whoever is on Crosby's wing and Ovi/Backstrom's wing has always ended up top 15 in scoring for me as well. They should see boosts in production but it should not turn them from 40 point guys to 70 point guys.

- Goalies workloads are too high. Starters play 70+ games. It seems the AI coaches pick the goalie with the higher CA and ride them into the ground workload wise. Goalie usage should be based somewhat on form and guys should be able to get hot and steal starting roles just like in real life.

I love how the attribute progression and development has been overhauled but unfortunately there are still simulation issues from 2007 that still exist.

Has anybody had much experience with offering contracts yet? Do players always just accept 1-2 year extensions like in 2007 or do they ask for term like what is happening in real life at the moment?

Archived