Work ball into box = tame efforts on goal?

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have created numerous tactics now, with this shout as it is something I like to combine in my system and I have found myself actually reaching the point of just laughing at the screen. The attempts on goal are exactly that.

To get a better test of it I tested it in FMC because of tactical familiarity not being an issue. Some of my build up play was fantastic, yet when finally reaching goal it was almost as if the players intentionally did not score! It was ridiculous. They would either be incredibly tame and straight at the keeper, or just painfully drifting wide and off target. My main bulk of goals would be set pieces, penalties or quick sharp rebounds. As a result it was costing me games and very quickly as you can imagine confidence went and I was losing games left right and centre.

I then changed one thing, literally. Work ball into box was unticked. All of a sudden goals came. The exact misses I was experiencing were now ending in quick sharp finishes from my front two.

Surely this is not intentional? A disadvantage of using WBIB??

Maybe it is pure coincidence then. Was very odd how my strikers at Wolves (Afobe, Dicko, Graham, Sako) all relatively good strikers of the ball and goalscorers, simply could not find the net, to the point where it was funny.

Once this instruction was removed all of a sudden they, and the whole team began to win and the margins got bigger.

Maybe it is pure coincidence then. Was very odd how my strikers at Wolves (Afobe, Dicko, Graham, Sako) all relatively good strikers of the ball and goalscorers, simply could not find the net, to the point where it was funny.

Once this instruction was removed all of a sudden they, and the whole team began to win and the margins got bigger.

I would imagine that's because your tactic is set up to attack in a certain way, and WBIB is not compatible with the approach you have.

OK, I have figured it out - my team simply cannot score.

This isn't a one off game either, most games I dominate possession, in my last game it took until 50 mins for the opposition to have there first effort on goal, whilst I am there having 15 attempts, 3 CCC and 0 goals. The efforts on goal are farcical, I mean seriously.

I am 13 games into my season and with a very very good team drifting towards the bottom half of the table. Teams are beating me when they have 4, 5, 6 efforts max against my 25 and 60% plus possession.

It doesn't matter how I play... direct, short, quick, slow.. it is the same.

Heads gone!

You have probably heard it before, but here goes... It's your tactics.

I would recommend a trip over the the tactics and training forum: http://http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/18-Tactics-amp-Training-Discussion

Post your tactic in as much detail as you can and I am sure someone there will be able to help you.

I did that for FM14 and it helped me a lot!

I too was having a similar issue until I made my striker and amc unlearn "shoots with power" ppm. Coz with this ppm they tend to take long shots. Also my wing backs I give them instruction to cross LESS often. This way they look for pass rather than crossing in and wasting the build up. Also a striker with "places shots" ppm is useful to completely use the adv of work the ball in the box instruction. This is something I have learned recently that you have take not of the player's ppm as well particularly strikers and amcs as well as wingers if you want to build up slowly towards the goal.

Thanks for the responses.

What I don't get though, is this tactic has worked wonders in the past! Basically I set up Flexible, Counter.

I ask my players to play more direct, pass into space, play wider, push higher up, get stuck in, close down more, high tempo and more disciplined.

I play a 4-2-3-1. I almost feel like FM is punishing me because I am playing with an edited database. I have made some of Wolves players worse, some better, purely on my own opinion although I accept I am wearing wolves tinted specs so I may have got carried away with one or two, hence why I feel FM is punishing me!

It is honestly putting me off the game now. I am playing some beautiful stuff, leading to the chance and then... Tripe. That can't be my tactic. Honestly the misses are beyond belief, shots are so tame and straight at the keeper and when they are wide they are at a cringeworthy effort. I watch and cringe. Help!

Thanks for the responses.

What I don't get though, is this tactic has worked wonders in the past! Basically I set up Flexible, Counter.

I ask my players to play more direct, pass into space, play wider, push higher up, get stuck in, close down more, high tempo and more disciplined.

I play a 4-2-3-1. I almost feel like FM is punishing me because I am playing with an edited database. I have made some of Wolves players worse, some better, purely on my own opinion although I accept I am wearing wolves tinted specs so I may have got carried away with one or two, hence why I feel FM is punishing me!

It is honestly putting me off the game now. I am playing some beautiful stuff, leading to the chance and then... Tripe. That can't be my tactic. Honestly the misses are beyond belief, shots are so tame and straight at the keeper and when they are wide they are at a cringeworthy effort. I watch and cringe. Help!

As said, post in the tactics forum and include details of your entire tactical setup and as much info as you can.

Well, basically, More Direct and Higher Tempo increases the speed with which your team wants to finish the attacks. When your strikers get the ball they do not wait for the midfielders and defenders to join them, but are looking to finish while their initial movement is still on.

Work Ball into Box sets crossing and long shots down a notch or three. That doesn't actually help much. It makes the wingers go for the dribble or shot/pass rather than the cross. The efforts are tame because they are made regardless of whether they have found space for themselves to shoot in or not.

If you want better shots and bigger chances, you are probably better off playing slowly enough to let your full backs and midfielders that are set to Attack/support join the attacks before your forwards decide to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Try going into "Training" - "Coaches", and if possible, assign an extra coach or two to the "shooting" schedule. This might have the effect of weakening other areas, but it only needs to be temporary, until the effects of the extra training in this aspect starts to ( hopefully ) produce dividends.Don't forget to restore the coaching balance once you are scoring again.The same principle applies to other tactical problems - just strengthen a problem area by assigning extra coaches.You may, if circumstances allow, also need to hire coaches with better abilities, if the ones you have aren't doing a good enough job.

OK, I have figured it out - my team simply cannot score.

This isn't a one off game either, most games I dominate possession, in my last game it took until 50 mins for the opposition to have there first effort on goal, whilst I am there having 15 attempts, 3 CCC and 0 goals. The efforts on goal are farcical, I mean seriously.

I am 13 games into my season and with a very very good team drifting towards the bottom half of the table. Teams are beating me when they have 4, 5, 6 efforts max against my 25 and 60% plus possession.

It doesn't matter how I play... direct, short, quick, slow.. it is the same.

Heads gone!

I was having similar problems during the run in to the end of my last season...dominating possesion against a parked bus and really struggling to break them down. I actually found a solution by mistake when trying to protect a lead. I told my players to take a breather and that seemed to do what I wanted from work the ball into box. Basically the players would take a little more time on the ball and move into space quite nicely. Since then whenever I find myself in that situation, liberal use of the take a breather option often has positive results.

Archived