Start as an assistant manager option?

I've been thinking for a while how good it would be to have the option to start as an under 21's or under 18's manager. Taking the Tim Sherwood role of managing the youth teams and then being promoted to 1st team or applying elsewhere. Gives an added layer/depth to the game. Would anyone else be interested in this?

It's the kind of thing I could see being off in the distant future, one of the elements that happens as games get ever more in depth, but it would be far too much effort to develop now with very little actual gameplay to it.

Defo yes for me. Managing under 21s or 18s is not a different thing. It is easy for SI too. You will have some rules and that's it. It is just like managing Castilla or Barcelona B.

From what I've seen in game that's more of a work-around making use of the games affiliate system and breaking the teams up so that they are essentially separate entities but with locked affiliations. To do that for every team in the game would be time consuming and potentially problematic as there could be errors encountered at various levels. To actually get the system in place properly so it was entirely seamless would require a pretty extensive overhaul of the game as it stands. Not to mention currently if you go to Castilla or Barca B and do well, you'll get job offers along the same lines of doing well at clubs in those levels which isn't accurate if you were to fully implement such a system.

I managed Barca B once in 14and enjoyed it, but it was too easy to step from them after a season or two to Espanyol, a reputable top division first team.

This is something that would very much interest me, wouldn't mind starting at a youth team to make my bones, as it were.

This is something I toyed with in the editor for a while; making English teams have manageable reserve teams with their own league structure and the like. At the moment the project is on hold because there is no very easy way to add it with the editor under the current file system (which sucks). It is something that has always appealed to the realism side of me, since it gives a more realistic way to enter the world of football.

exactly sporadicsmiles. It adds to the realism of the game. Which is what we all want, I mean its not going to ruin the game but imagine the multiplayer aspects. A network game where 2 people run the same team but one runs the U21's can be the asst manager and even give advice based on future players and what not. And in real life like Carlos Quirez who was asst at Utd and got the Real Madrid and portugal job from bieng assistant manager at UTD.

Allowing youth/reserve team management might make it harder to get a first team job initially, due to lower starting rep, if you choose to start the game as unemployed.

The best thing to do would be to have it as a checkable option when you start a new game. Place a checkbox reading something along the lines of 'Enable reserve/youth team management' alongside the checkboxes that are already there (add players to playable teams, disable attribute masking, etc.). This way those that don't want the option can easily opt out.

We can already hire staff for these specific roles and we are able manage youth sides for the international teams, so it shouldn't require a whole host of new features in order to implement it into the game.

I see the people who say no are giving nice short simple arrogant responses, the people who have given in depth responses i thank you.

Yeah, disagreeing with you obviously equals arrogant. Good attitude :thup:

Thing is... It comes up so often people reject the idea outright.

Thing to remember is it is called Football Manager...not Football Assistant Manager or Football Apprentice.

I'm not against the idea. I'm just against the fact that so many things need addressing in the game. To be wasting time on such a trivial idea is just a waste of time at the moment.

Yeah, disagreeing with you obviously equals arrogant. Good attitude :thup:

its not about people disagreeing with me, now read carefully because you may mistake another quote.... i want thought out answers, every "no" was a simple no, without any explanation, most people agreeing gave a reason why.

Now please feel free to break down anything i have said for your own gain

Thing is... It comes up so often people reject the idea outright.

Thing to remember is it is called Football Manager...not Football Assistant Manager or Football Apprentice.

I'm not against the idea. I'm just against the fact that so many things need addressing in the game. To be wasting time on such a trivial idea is just a waste of time at the moment.

Managing an U-21/18 team is still being true to the title of the game, is it not?

I think being an assistant manager isn't a good idea and doesn't have enough gameplay possibilities for it to be interesting. But being a manager of a youth side is interesting and offers a more realistic entry to football.

its not about people disagreeing with me, now read carefully because you may mistake another quote.... i want thought out answers, every "no" was a simple no, without any explanation, most people agreeing gave a reason why.

You asked a yes or no question (would you be interested?) so you didn't ask for a debate on the merits of the idea and considering the longest post in this thread only comes in at 3 or 4 lines, no one has particularly gone in depth.

I expect as a few others have touched upon, those who are saying no mostly say so because developing such an aspect of the game would come at the cost of development time elsewhere, and the more core and central elements of the game are what most players make use of, and where most players are striving for further improvement. It's a continual process filling out the game more and more with each iteration so one day it may come about but based on how the game is at the moment it seems as an outsider looking in the development time would be too substantial for such a small element of gameplay - unless the game was shifted to force this path on players of the game so they have to start off further down the pecking order.

You asked if anyone was interested, they replied they werent.

No interest in it as it stands, as actually its not fleshed out enough at all right now. What would start as an interesting fad would be a little dull, especially when manager starts pulling your under 21s into his senior teams. And to flesh it out would take more time and effort than the final product would be worth delivering.

No interest in it as it stands, as actually its not fleshed out enough at all right now. What would start as an interesting fad would be a little dull, especially when manager starts pulling your under 21s into his senior teams. And to flesh it out would take more time and effort than the final product would be worth delivering.

I agree with this, it is not something that should be considered as being added to the game. It is something that should be made as an edited database for those who are interested.

OP, there is nothing preventing this from being made except willingness for time and effort!

I think managing U-21's/U-18's is a good idea, however I think becoming an assistant would become terribly boring. Another thing on top of this would be creating your own history. I like the new feature of gaining coaching badges and setting your stats etc. but giving yourself a proper background would be nice. So, instead of just selecting Professional Footballer, actually create your playing career (if you want one).

So, I can say I've been a career player at Watford, then I take up a role managing the U-21's then so on and so forth.

I see the people who say no are giving nice short simple arrogant responses, the people who have given in depth responses i thank you.

It's because this kind of suggestion is made a lot of times per year, same with 'be a chairman'. As you can see, the idea is actually a popular one, and no one would say no to more stuff. The grumpiness comes with the curse of feeling the need to post a reply, but not wanting to.

Actually I tried this approach, I took charge of Villarreal B for a few months. Two words: not fun. Sure, it's realistic and all, but it was near impossible to build a strong lineup because the manager of Villarreal 'A' kept promoting everyone who performed half decent.

I resigned after about five months, when I finally became tired of losing. There is no way I would want this experience to be mandatory.

Hmm...

You asked a yes or no question (would you be interested?) so you didn't ask for a debate on the merits of the idea and considering the longest post in this thread only comes in at 3 or 4 lines, no one has particularly gone in depth.

I expect as a few others have touched upon, those who are saying no mostly say so because developing such an aspect of the game would come at the cost of development time elsewhere, and the more core and central elements of the game are what most players make use of, and where most players are striving for further improvement. It's a continual process filling out the game more and more with each iteration so one day it may come about but based on how the game is at the moment it seems as an outsider looking in the development time would be too substantial for such a small element of gameplay - unless the game was shifted to force this path on players of the game so they have to start off further down the pecking order.

Yep, that just about covers it. That's why you don't go diving in with a high and mighty response, you'll probably get it wrong.

You didn't ask for any justification, and to be honest none is needed. People who said yes probably gave reasons because they, you know, actually have reasons why they want it. People that said no have no interest in it - which was your original question - so that's justification enough. This has come up probably a hundred times, and every time it's the same answer. If you really want well thought-out arguments, go search for the hundreds of other topics on the subject.

Archived