How do you handle aggressive players?

Last year, my team set the record of the worst discipline in the league (32 yellows and 1 red), this year they were offended by how low those numbers were and strived to improve on them. This year, they managed 35 yellows and 5 reds but the season isn't over yet (the league season is only 14 games long). I decided to investigate and saw a majority of my players had really high aggression stats. I fine people when they get 2 yellows in a match 1 week wage and 2 weeks when they get a straight red but nothing changes.

Any tips?

If you're fielding half a dozen Roy Keane's each game, it might be that the only solution is to get rid of a few. With those amount of yellow and red cards in less than 28 league games and not even fines changing their "Break yer legs" aggression, it might be that some need to move on.

If you're winning games and have enough cover on the bench for all those suspensions, I say "Play on", if it's impacting your results, change your tactics or dump the worst offenders. I always prefer to play on and take my chances.

In my second season with Bayern I ran into some problems with Javi Martinez. I play him as a Anchor Man and he has 18 for aggression but his personality is fairly professional. In the first half of the season he got 3 straight red cards in the league. In two of those games he really left us in the lurch so I fined him for those games then after the third red card I began to lose patience so I gave him the Criticise Conduct talk. Since then he hasn't been getting sent off and has re-established his place in the team.

So, I think if you have highly aggressive players, check out what their personality is like so that you know how they will react to your interactions. In my case because he's a professional I knew he would never react badly to my fines or criticism. Another thing that helps is checking their coach report. If one of their cons is that they have a competitive streak and may bend the rules, I wouldn't rely on that player in big important matches. Those players will try to win by any means necessary and usually doesn't end well.

I'm having this problem too, a quiet game for me I've committed maybe a dozen fouls, a bad game, you can be talking mid to high 20's. Have been picking up far too many bookings despite instruction my players to stay on their feet. Also had 6 straight reds last season, all for mad lunges Worst thing about the red cards, none of them where anywhere near a danger area when you could maybe understand a lunge.

Ajescent.

Before taking any notice of what I say, please note that I have never played FM15 at all, (even the demo), so all this is based on previous versions.

1. Don't worry too much about the warning/1 wk fine/2 wks fine. I'm not convinced how effective it is at stopping future instances at all.

2. Look at your Captain and see if he is setting the wrong example. If you have a very aggressive squad then think about making a less aggressive player captain. It should help to lower the overall tone.

3. Look at which players/position are getting a lot of bookings and see if you can work out why. My issue for example was that my full backs were given quite attacking instructions, but were also being asked to close down often and go in hard on opposing wingers. Often this meant that they made dangerous/mistimed tackles after being caught out of position.

4. Look at player personality type. Certainly in FM14 it had a significant impact on the game.

5. I have an aggressive style so my subs are basically used to stop players collecting a 2nd yellow card. I often make 2 subs as early as HT, but try to avoid making a 3rd before 60 mins. If you can sub 3 players already booked, then the chances of a 4th player getting a 2nd yellow is unlikely, (especially with the be careful to avoid another booking HT instruction).

I don't care about yellows now. I just manage them with substitutions.

I have "close down more" as an instruction and my defenders seem to be the main offenders, I think there might be a connection between the two. Next season I'll try removing that instruction and see if it changes anything.

I have "close down more" as an instruction and my defenders seem to be the main offenders, I think there might be a connection between the two. Next season I'll try removing that instruction and see if it changes anything.

Are they being pulled out of position, leading to rash challenges as they try to recover? If yes, it may be more of a positional issue than anything else. Could you make your midfield sit closer to the defence and try to take the pressure off your defenders a bit?

Archived