The Playing Time Interactions Thing

Two matches into the 2019 season, 34 year old Per Mertesacker has approached me regarding a lack of first team football and would like to leave.

The factors weighing in favor of his disquiet:

-he's club captain

-his squad status is set as first team

The factors weighing against his opinion:

-he's not match fit

-the league season hasn't actually started yet

-the only matches played are the Community Shield and the European Super Cup (As an aside, it's absurd to get the "Arsenal do the double!" messages when you win stuff like this. These matches are friendlies.)

It's not hard to talk him down, but the fact that I've had a playing time complaint before the kickoff of my domestic football in my first full 15.3 season is a bit concerning, especially after having complaints from players last season who'd made 35-45 appearances.

How frequent are you finding these complaints? What sorts of players and situations seem to trigger them? How are you handling them, and how effective are those tactics?

Finally, do you find these interactions to be a valuable part of the experience?

Four games into the season, Braim Zabalza, 23 year old right back with the First Team squad status, has started and finished three matches. After being rested one time, he's brought a playing time complaint forward. My options, as you all know, are:

-You're right

-You'll start in the cups

-You'll play as a sub

-It's too soon

-I'll sell you

-I'll send you on loan

Where's the "you're getting plenty of football" option? None of these answers are acceptable.

So I tell him it's a bit too soon, but if he can show me he's ready, then great. So he comes back with "I'm desperate to impress, just tell me what to do!"

And I say "hey, buddy, just show my assistant that you're performing well in training." And he of course comes back with whoa that's way too much I've already earned my shot.

Which A) you're already getting your shot B) you just told me you were desperate to earn a chance. So shut up and shut up some more.

It boggles the mind that this sort of thing passes muster.

It's either.

1) They count friendlies as actual games.

2) It doesn't recognise the break in seasons

I have a player who played in three of the first four games and became unhappy because of lack of football.

There's a 3rd option - he's seeking assurances that he'll get first team football in the coming season. He obviously realises he's 34 and may not be up to scratch, but he's just checking.

Why doesn't the game say that then?

The game does when a player realises he may not be up to scratch.

Wording could be improved if he's simply seeking assurances of first team footbaIl. It's an easy one to deal with though. If you are planning to play him, just promise him that.

How many games did Per play last season? Did he get fewer and fewer starts toward the end of the previous season?

Something like 25-30 matches, with his appearances weighted slightly more towards the end of the season. No signings have been made that would push him down the pecking order, and one defender has been sold. His complaint came after not featuring in the European Super Cup or the Community Shield.

My young right back has said exactly the same thing re: playing time. He made ~20 appearances last year (an all-time high for him, whatever the number was) and the player who was sold was one of the two players ahead of him in the depth chart. He's started three matches, and complained after sitting one.

I've asked everything I can think of! :)

If you have a save from just before either/both complaints, please report it. It doesn't seem right. At least in their cases, you are playing them so you can just promise them more first team football, but it would be great if SI could take a look at those examples.

The game does when a player realises he may not be up to scratch.

Wording could be improved if he's simply seeking assurances of first team footbaIl. It's an easy one to deal with though. If you are planning to play him, just promise him that.

This is what I do, I had 2 backup players come asking for for more game time, both young and good prospects, they played all friendlies but after only 3 proper games ( yes only 3 games ) they're wanting to play more. I just told them I agree I haven't given them a proper shot and will play them more in the coming weeks, they go away happy at that.

This is what I do, I had 2 backup players come asking for for more game time, both young and good prospects, they played all friendlies but after only 3 proper games ( yes only 3 games ) they're wanting to play more. I just told them I agree I haven't given them a proper shot and will play them more in the coming weeks, they go away happy at that.

Happy for now... Not so happy when times run out and you haven't played them as you promised. I never select this option unless I intended to play them anyway!

Happy for now... Not so happy when times run out and you haven't played them as you promised. I never select this option unless I intended to play them anyway!

True but with this stupid interaction nonsense in game it's about all we have to use, never had this bother with backup players before, rotation/1st team I could agree with and understand but not backup or even in some cases Ive heard of youngsters.

True but with this stupid interaction nonsense in game it's about all we have to use, never had this bother with backup players before, rotation/1st team I could agree with and understand but not backup or even in some cases Ive heard of youngsters.

That is your opinion. Not all of us agree... I actually want more interactions with the players. I like that the players can throw their toy's out of the pram, it makes the game more challenging. (Still to easy, but that's another discussion)

I jumped for joy the first time I had a squad rebellion! Finally there was a feature in game that made squad management necessary!

Granted it could have been better implemented, but at least it is something!

That is your opinion. Not all of us agree... I actually want more interactions with the players. I like that the players can throw their toy's out of the pram, it makes the game more challenging. (Still to easy, but that's another discussion)

I jumped for joy the first time I had a squad rebellion! Finally there was a feature in game that made squad management necessary!

Granted it could have been better implemented, but at least it is something!

I get you but I think it's went too far, players especially young ones moaning about game time when they are rated as backup or promising youngster, I want an extra option in game like conference where I can add an extra line of dialogue if I want, we're stuck with 4-6 options the game gives us and most of the time these options aren't what we need.

It's always been a timing issue, it needs to fire later.

I had a midfielder (backup) moaning pre-xmas in the Premier League for lack of games. Was frustrating because the Xmas run in (for the Premier League) is the prime time for the rotation to kick on in full, plus the fixture pile up that happens post-xmas. Everyone gets 15+ games this way in theory, especially because there will always be injuries.

I've not had them trigger literally as the season started yet, but I have seen a few players 'consider leaving for first team football' in their profiles that early.

If you offer something like cup football, or sub appearances, they won't like it, but that gives you access to the "is this just the heat of the moment" response, which has worked 100% of the time with players who're vaguely professional, in my experience.

Another response option which is clearly needed in response to the OP is "I'll play you once you've recovered your fitness". I get annoyed with players recovering from injury who moan about not playing when they are only 66% match fit or something. You need to be able to say the equivalent of "I'm going to give you a sharpener in the reserves or a couple of sub appearances and then you're back in"

Another response option which is clearly needed in response to the OP is "I'll play you once you've recovered your fitness". I get annoyed with players recovering from injury who moan about not playing when they are only 66% match fit or something. You need to be able to say the equivalent of "I'm going to give you a sharpener in the reserves or a couple of sub appearances and then you're back in"

Question here, and not playing devils advocate, if you had that option to say that, and he didn't accept you answer ( players can be unreasonable for instance) would you accept the fallout?

While that response would be nice, if you're planning to play him, just say so. You have 60 days to do it so you have plenty of time to give him a reserve game or two before getting him back in action.

There are three ways to tell a player you're going to play him. The first is "you're right, you can expect to play for the next month or so". The second is "you'll start in the cups, show me what you can do". The third is "you'll get substitute appearances, show me what you can do".

I've never had a player accept option 2 or option 3.

Question here, and not playing devils advocate, if you had that option to say that, and he didn't accept you answer ( players can be unreasonable for instance) would you accept the fallout?

yes, absolutely - and I agree, you are right, a small proportion of unreasonable players should be unhappy with it, especially if they felt from the past they hadn't been getting enough playing time.

Hunt3r - again, I guess you're right, I mean obviously that's what I currently do. So in a strict sense it doesn't add that much to the game to have a more specific reason to give them. But IRL the subtext of me saying that would be "and next time you're coming back from an injury and not quite fit yet, remember this is how I operate and don't come bugging me again", but it's probably unrealistic to expect that level of modelling for your player relationships.

Archived