[FM15] Where the Heck's It Gone? A hunt for lost glories...

DodgeeD

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team Wellington 2034/35 Season Preview

1301559.png

Expectations & Budgets

2034-5%20Preview.png

All above board and achievable.

Transfers

Scouting range: Oceania + UK & Ireland

2034/5 Pre-season Transfer History

I weeded out a lot of overpaid and underperforming players from the first team and cleared out another bunch of useless kids as well. Of the players who came in, several were young to satisfy the board’s requirement and to fill the U20 quota in the first team squad. I expect these three guys to be regular first team starters:

Alysson Lopes (DRC) – very good defender for this level with the potential to get better.

Armando Quintas (AML) – current Angolan international also with potential to develop.

Nader Rahimezadeh (AMR/ST) – got this Iranian in on trial, tried to sign him but his agent was making silly demands. He then sacked his agent and negotiated a much more reasonable deal for himself. A chairman’s dream this guy!

Charity Cup

Team Wellington 0, Canterbury Utd 0 (Canterbury win 7-6 on penalties)

Yet another Super Cup loss. This is becoming a bad habit.

OFC Champions League

As usual, the draw for next April has been made bright and early:

2035%20O-League%20Group.png

A trip to visit my old buddies at AS Magenta beckons.

Hmm, maybe I posted that season preview too soon:

2034%20Job%20offer.png

I assume that is the end of the MLS season in December, which should give me enough time to take Team Welly to the Club World Cup in Canada. Maybe I won't get on the plane back... ;)

That's a really tempting offer, but given that there's only been 3 managerial changes in 21 years (!) in New Zealand, surely you'd be better off staying there for a while longer & achieving the success you want before moving on? Or are job vacancies in the MLS even more scarce? :eek:

That's a really tempting offer, but given that there's only been 3 managerial changes in 21 years (!) in New Zealand, surely you'd be better off staying there for a while longer & achieving the success you want before moving on? Or are job vacancies in the MLS even more scarce? :eek:
I have achieved what I wanted in New Zealand already by bagging the O-League. I now need the CONCACAF Champions League, Copa Libertadores, and UEFA Champions League to complete the set so MLS is a good place to go next.

Speaking of MLS, I will soon get a chance to see one of the sides up close and personal:

2034%20CWC%20Draw.png

Maybe if we humiliate the hosts, another job might become available. ;)

November 2034 International Update: African Cup of Nations Qualifying

53.png

One thing I like about managing African nations is the short and sweet nature of the qualifying campaign for the Cup of Nations - a double round-robin of six games played over the September, October and November international breaks.

Our group was quite straightforward with no rival emerging to challenge us for first place:

2034%20ACNQ%20Results.png

2034%20ACNQ%20B.png

Poor Gabon (my current real life country of residence no less) have taken quite a fall just a year after reaching the final play-off round in World Cup Qualifying.

The draw was made a couple of days after the final game:

2035%20ACN%20DRC%20Draw.png

We were seeded second for the draw. We got the luck of the draw from pot one by drawing hosts Angola but we then got the most difficult sides from pots three and four. Still, I am confident of progression based on our recent form.

The other groups are as follows:

2035%20ACN%20Groups.png

All of those look pretty tough to be honest. Perhaps Group B would have been easier had we been placed there instead of South Africa but we'll take what we've got. :)

Well, after a long time away I have decided to return to these forums. I am member from ages ago and only recognise a few names on here.

Dodgee is one of them (I think his Mexican challenge is one of the best things). This thread is usual fantastic stuff that I have seen previously. Keep it going Dodgee, this has got me to decide to come back on here and also get my own thread up shortly (I am going to be using some of his templates if he don't mind)

Well, after a long time away I have decided to return to these forums. I am member from ages ago and only recognise a few names on here.

Dodgee is one of them (I think his Mexican challenge is one of the best things). This thread is usual fantastic stuff that I have seen previously. Keep it going Dodgee, this has got me to decide to come back on here and also get my own thread up shortly (I am going to be using some of his templates if he don't mind)

Thank you AGK - I take it from your join date that you have assumed a new identity. What was your previous username?

I also have fond memories of that Mexican save. A shame Mexico didn't work out for me this time...

Good luck with your thread!

[h=2][/h]

2034 FIFA Club World Cup

121092.png

Hosts:
Canada

Holders:
Bordeuax

We headed to Montreal with no chance of winning but a desire to make a good showing of ourselves.

Play-off Round

Well, that was easier than expected! We dominated from the opening exchanges and the Canadian champions never looked in contention. Could I have just created another job opportunity for myself? Or would I want to take over this shower?

Quarter-final

Prior to the play-off round, a news item said "a quarter-final with Zamalek awaits" - we would have a chance of sneaking a win there! So imagine my surprise/disappointment when we were actually paired with Chivas of Mexico...

Much like the DRC-Italy match at the world cup, we were second best for most of the match but gave the scoreline credibility with a late surge. We hit the crossbar in injury time too.

5th Place Play-Off

We did get to play Zamalek in the end as they lost their quarter-final to Suwon.

Poor in the first half, we stormed back in the second to win with ease and take a very credible 5th place. That matches my last visit to this competition with Asante Kotoko but my best showing remains my 4th place with Perth Glory back in 2028.

Elsewhere in the competition, there were bigshocks as Chelsea not only lost to Chivas in their semi-final, they also lost to Suwon in the 3rd-place play-off. Palmerias or Brazil would win the final.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-4.png

One of our players is top scorer... Bit miffed that Palmerias were highlighted as overachievers though!

2034 International Review: D.R. Congo

53.png

Quick Overview:

2034 World Cup: 2nd Round

2035 CAF Cup of Nations Qualifying: Qualified!

Results:

2034%20Results.png

World Rankings:

Dec%202034%20World_%20Nations%20Rankings.png

Rankings Graph

A very good year for DRC as we impressed at the World Cup and qualified for the next Cup of Nations with ease. Post-World Cup, we peaked at 16th in the rankings. Interesting to see that even though we are in the top 20 globally, we are only 6th amongst the African teams.

Paterne Mutombo (DC) remains our standout player, featuring regularly for a top-half Premier League side and always dependable in defence.

For me, Aldrich Tshiembe (ST) was the player of the year thanks to his impressive scoring rate. Also deserving a mention is Loric Musasa (AML), who is enjoying an Indian summer in his career at the age of 34. He intended to retire after the World Cup but has agreed to stick around for the Cup of Nations in January.

Our confirmed fixtures for 2035 are as follows:

2035%20Fixtures.png

The Cup of Nations is very wide open with a number of teams in with a chance. It will all depend on the luck of the draw - we could go all the way or we could crash out early. I'm not sure if I will continue as DRC manager after the tournament or not as it will be 18 months before competitive fixtures come round again. We'll see.

2034%20Job%20offer.png

Hmm, the MLS reset date has come and gone and Seattle have not come back to me yet. They still have no manager listed and 'applied' still appears next to the club on the jobs screen. Did they mean the end of the NZFC season in May? I hope not as that means no chance to bring new players in before the season starts...

Is there no other jobs in the states that could be of interest to you or maybe in Mexico
Vancouver, New York Red Bulls, and LA Galaxy all have managers listed as insecure. For Mexico, it would have to be a big club already on the verge of success as managers there seem to get sacked every other weekend!

The delayed job offer eventually materialised in mid-January:

2035%20Seattle.png

Come on! After that away goals elimination, we were finalists the next year and winners the season after that. I then added the OFC Champions League and took DR Congo to the knockout rounds of the World Cup... and FM fake news still wants to talk about Djoliba...

Anyway, exciting times as I head to the MLS to turn under-achieving Seattle into a domestic and continental force.

2035%20Seattle%20History.png

While they have won the MLS before, there has been no continental success yet. The facilities are certainly in place, and the finances certainly are (€50 million in the bank!) They just need a few prime additions to the squad and the right manager to get there.

I'm told Kevin Latham (GK) is the best player at the club - at present, he is the only player on a Designated Player deal. Owen Perez (MC/AMC) also looks good.

In the youth team, Jesper Ahonen (DL) seems to be the best prospect - under the wacky MLS system, I will have to sign him before he can turn out for the first team though.

I've just realised that if I can win the CONCACAF Champions League with Seattle that will be four continental titles each won with clubs from Anglophone countries. Obviously, I can later do the same in Europe - a shame there are no English-speaking nations eligible to join the Copa Libertadores!

Pretty big step up. Good luck in the Pacific Northwest!
Potentially a great move there.
Based on the ease with which Team Welly beat Vancouver in the Club World Cup and the agent offers both in New Zealand and the US for Championship/League 1 players, they seem on a par in terms of football quality. However, the infrastructure and facilities definitely make this a bigger move. I just hope we can challenge the Mexicans!

• 1 month later...

After a hectic few months that have seen me quit my post in Africa, have a short spell in Turkey and then get tempted by an offer from the Middle East (and that was real life - never mind FM!), I am ready to start updating this again. :)

Time to refresh my memory on the Cup of Nations with DR Congo before getting stuck into my new job with Seattle :thup: Still three continental trophies to go!

2035 CAF Cup of Nations: Group A

147032_1.png

Holders: Ivory Coast

Hosts: Angola

We arrived in Angola hoping to build on our impressive showing at the 2034 World Cup. Winning it would be tough with the likes of South Africa and Tunisia also riding high from last summer but we would do the usual and turn up to see what happened.

Matchday 1 v. Angola

First up, the hosts. We were favourites on paper but you never can tell when the home support factor is taken into account...

A slight scare in the second half but we proved the better team in the end.

Matchday 2 v. Algeria

This was the toughest game of the group stage and we would have to be at our best to win

It was a tough game but we prevailed (nice of Couchaldinho to pop in for the game as well :p)

Matchday 3 v. Morocco

We were already through at this point but we still needed to secure top spot.

Finally in top gear - bring on the quarter-finals!

2035 CAF Cup of Nations: Group Stage Round-Up

147032_1.png

Here's confirmation of our qualification from Group A:

2035%20Cup%20of%20nations%20Group%20A.png

And here are the other groups:

2035%20Orange%20Africa%20Cup%20of%20Nations%20Groups.png

Ghana and Cameroon are surprise eliminations although both did have tough groups.

The quarter-finals are as follows:

2035%20Orange%20Africa%20Cup%20of%20Nations%20KO%20draw.png

No easy games at this stage but we get the toughest - the defending champions and a grudge match against the team that sacked me after saving their 2032 World Cup qualification campaign because we only got three draws in the tournament proper...

2035%20ACN%20QF%20Draw.png

2035 CAF Cup of Nations: The Last Eight

147032_1.png

Quarter-final v. Ivory Coast

This game was so epic that it needed two screenshots for the match report!

After a topsy-turvy game, it would be veteran Loric Musasa, whom I had talked out of retirement last season, who got the winner. Revenge is sweet!

In the other matches, Algeria contributed to a good showing for Group A and Tunisia and Nigeria also advanced.

2035%20ACN%20SF.png

2035%20ACN%20SF%20Draw.png

2035 CAF Cup of Nations: The Final Four

147032_1.png

Semi-final v. Tunisia

Far from being our toughest match so far, the semi-final proved to be a breeze:

2035%20ACN%20SF%20Report.png

Match Stats

Mbemba was undoubtedly the star of the show and Hamadi continues his great tournament as well.

In the other game, our Group A colleagues Algeria came unstuck against an in-form Nigeria side:

2035%20ACN%20KO%20Tree.png

All that set up the following final:

2035%20ACN%20Final%20Preview.png

It's anyone's game!

2035 CAF Cup of Nations: The Final

147032_1.png

Final v. Nigeria

A chance for a first continental senior international trophy. Could we take it?

No... :( Despite the early goal, we were second best in the first half and it was no surprise that we went in 2-1 down. We were better in the second half but got hit on the break. A late goal made things interesting but we couldn't get back into the match.

Still, a tournament to be proud of as shown by the end of competition review:

2035%20CAN%20Review.png

Only two years to the next one so I might as well stick around for a while longer.

• 2 months later...

Seattle Sounders 2035 Season Preview

2035%20Seattle_%20%20General.png

Expectations & Budgets

So long since I’ve loaded this up that I forgot to take a screenshot… Anyway, expectations are as follows:

Major League Soccer: Finish above mid-table

MLS Supporters’ Shield: Finish above mid-table

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup: Not important

Cascadia Cup: Not important

Heritage Cup: Not important

No pressure in my first season then, offering a chance to shape the squad to my liking.

Squad & Transfers

Scouting range: Worldwide

2035 Pre-season Transfer History

MLS transfers are always tough… Salary caps, designated contracts, Senior Minimum salary, international slots, reserve slots, waivers…. The transfer action was extensive and there were a few players who came in only to be waived goodbye when a better player became available. I am not happy with the balance of the squad – no experienced right-back and a lack of cover in central defence and midfield but it was the best I could do within the restrictions

Our squad looks like this:

2035%20Squad_%20Players%20Players.png

And I expect our key players to be:

Kevin Latham (GK) – a qualitykeeper always helps and I’m told this guy is one of the best in the league.

Patrick Hernandez (DC) – the best player I got out of the Draft. Defence is a weak area for us so he should get the game time he needs to develop.

Owen Perez (MC/AMC) – I’m looking for him to be a creative force in the centre of the park.

Jay Elmes (MRC/AMR) – I’ll be playing him as a right winger and hopefully he’ll supply plenty of assists.

Simone Tsfai (ST) – a player of unfulfilled potential in his career to date. At 23, this might be his last chance to make his mark.

I am personally aiming to make the play-offs. A good cup run would be a bonus too.

Seattle Sounders 2035 Season Review

72014006.png

Quick Overview

MLS Western Conference: 7th

MLS Supporters’ Shield: 14th

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup: 3rd Round

Domestic Results 1 | Domestic Results 2

Review

We started off well, unbeaten over the first eight matches. Our first setback at Colorado was the beginning of a six game run without a win and our form was inconsistent from then on. I brought some players in mid-season but they were mainly youngsters. They showed promise but did little to improve results and we finished the season losing six games in a row before salvaging a little pride with a win and draw in the last two. That bad form cost us a place in the play-offs.

I was lucky in that the board did not expect me to make the play-offs – most of the managers who missed out on the close season matches got the sack. I think we will have to be more consistent next season, however.

2035%20Confidence.png

Key Players

Owen Perez (MC/AMC) – The best of the players already at the club and a creative force in central midfield. Many other MLS teams and sides in Europe are tracking him though so it may be tough to keep him for next season.

Andrew Clarke (MC/AMC) – Brought in as a free agent when Perez got injured and turned in some cracking displays.

Ally Rashid (AMRL/ST) – Came in mid-season as a Designated Young Player, known to me from the DR Congo set up. He provided plenty of goals and assists and ended the season honoured as the MLS Newcomer of the Year.

Simone Tsfai (AML/ST) – Our most consistent scorer enjoying the best goals return of his career to date.

Ones to watch

Jesper Ahonen (DL) – Promoted from the Sounders Academy early in the season and showed a lot of potential.

Art Ring (AMR) – Brought in to offer cover on the right of midfield but could well be first choice next season.

Youth Intake

Not much to shout about here… YPs in the MLS go into a separate Academy team, which acts like a feeder club. There are a couple of players who may get called up but I will highlight them in the next season preview.

The Season Ahead...

I need to strengthen the defence in the off-season. My centre backs are promising talents but very young and my goalkeeper is now a regular in the USA national team squads, which meant he missed a considerable number of games so I need either a new keeper or a better back-up.

In the league, I will be aiming for more consistency and a push for the play-offs.

2035 International Review: D.R. Congo

53.png

Quick Overview:

2035 CAF Cup of Nations: Finalists

Results:

2035%20Schedule_%20%20Main%20Fixtures.png

A couple of disappointing friendly defeats aside, it was a great year only prevented from being even better by Nigeria.

World Rankings:

2035%20World_%20Nations%20Rankings.png

Rankings Graph

We peaked at 12th but remain in the top 20 with African champions Nigeria the only side ranked higher

2035%20Africa_%20Nations%20Rankings.png

Once again, Aldrich Tshiembe and John Hamadi were our main match-winners. Loric Muasa deserves a mention for going back on his plans to retire and turning in another great season.

2036 sees our thoughts turn to the next championships. The qualifying draw for the 2038 World Cup has already been made and we should move on to the next stage of qualifying with ease:

2035%20WCQ%20Draw.png

The draw for the qualifying rounds of the 2037 Cup of Nations will take place soon and I'll update you as soon as the balls are out of the pot. :)

Seattle Sounders 2036 Season Preview

72014006.png

Expectations

Major League Soccer: Finish above mid-table

MLS Supporters’ Shield: Finish mid-table

Media Expectation: 14th

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup: Not important

Cascadia Cup: Not important

Heritage Cup: Not important

Very similar to last season - does this board lack ambition?

Transfers

Scouting range: Worldwide

2036 Pre-season Transfer History

I sent a few of the older, high-earners on their way to bring in younger players with less demanding bank accounts. Most will be on the fringes of the squad but I expect the following two to be first team regulars:

Chancel Ekangamene (DC) – another player brought in through my DR Congo connections. He should help shore up our leaky defence.

Balão (MC/AMC/ST) – still has some developing to do but will allow me to play Perez in hispreferred advanced role while also providing much needed cover down the central spine of the attack.

I also called up the following players from the Sounders Academy:

Andy Gibson (AML) – has the makings of a pacy wideman.

Jeff Hurst (ST) – with a name like that, his parents must have had him down as a striker from the moment he was born!

That leaves the squad looking like this:

2036%20Squad_%20Players%20Players.png

2036%20Squad_%20Players%20Players-2.png

We have to be more consistent than last season. I believe the potential is there (which is why I turned down Dallas and Sheffield Wednesday) but the players have to start realising it. I am aiming for a Wildcard play-off spot and a decent cup run to make up for last year’s early exit.

July 2036 International Update: CAF World Cup Qualifying

53.png

Not a huge amount of action for DR Congo so far this year. The March friendly dates were blanked out for some reason we had to wait until June for our first action of the year with the beginning of qualifying for Canada 2038.

We played two teams ranked well below us - Malawi at home and Chad away. As expected, two easy victories came as we beat Malawi 4-1 and Chad 3-0. The early table looks like this:

2038%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%20CAF%20Qualifying%20Section_%20Overview%20Profile.png

Apart from the results, the only other news of note was that Loric Muasa finally hung up his boots at the age of 36. I gave him his debut as a 32 year-old and he made the most of his time with the team!

I then awaited the draw from the Cup of Nations qualifiers. It was only after the draw had been made and we weren't featured that I realised DR Congo are the hosts for 2037! This time, I'm going all out for the win!

Seattle Sounders July 2036 Mid-season Update

72014006.png

MLS Western Conference

July%202036%20Major%20League%20Soccer_%20Overview%20Profile.png

A strong first half of the season sees us enter the short two-week break well-positioned to qualify for the play-offs. I tweaked the tactics early in the season, sticking with my 4-2-3-1 formation but now employing a ball-winning midfielder and making more attacks from the flanks. It has worked with us winning games convincingly and looking much more assured in defence.

Our key performer so far has been Simone Tsfai, who tops the league scoring charts. Bizarrely, he has recently opted to play for his the Eritrea naitonal team ranked 201st in the world. Had he waited a little longer, I believe he could have made the USA squad. Patrick Hernandez has carried on his impressive form from last season and is currently with the USA U23 squad for the Olympics. Art Ring is another youngster who has continued to impress.

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup

It has been a topsy-turvy season in the cup to say the least. Plenty of giant-killings and MLS sides dropping like flies. We have bucked the trend, making it to the final on October 1st. FC Dallas were our only MLS opponents on the way. We will face NASL side Carolina RailHawks, who have beaten San Jose, DC United, Sporting Kansas City and LA Galaxy to get here. A first trophy in the Emerald City beckons.

2036%20US%20Open.png

All that good form meant the time was ripe to approach the board about a new contract. They obliged as I look to take Seattle to future continental glory:

2036%20Contract.png

The press conferences do annoy me at times... I keep getting asked about my side's "physical play" which got my goat after the last match for two reasons: 1. Yes, we top the league stats in tackles per game but we also have one of the lowest fouling rates; 2. In the same match, one of my players got a gashed leg and my first choice right-back was sidelined for the rest of the season with a broken foot - and we are the 'physical' side? :mad:

A run of six straight wins ends with a 1-1 draw at San Jose but that brings up too good pieces of news:

2036%20MLS%20Play-off%20qualification.png

With 10 weeks of the regular season to play as well!

And then there was this:

2036%20Heritage%20Cup.png

Only one of the MLS 'rivalry' competitions but if the fans are happy, so am I. :)

Hmm, I see that FM2016 is 66% off on Steam... Had this season at Seattle not been going son well, I may have been tempted but for now I'll crack on and either wait for FM2017 or (hopefully) 75% off the current one when the summer sale comes around.:)

DodgeeD what plans would you have for the next save?
I was thinking earlier that it has been a while since I did a one club save so taking on something like dafuge's or Gundo's challenge is appealing.

But I am also tempted to try a couple of themed journeyman saves... Too many choices!

An unscheduled update here to highlight a few key matches as we approach the play-offs.

First of all, more silverware:

2036%20Cascadia%20Cup%20Report.png

Another 'rivalry' cup but this one has the distinction of involving three teams (us, Vancouver and Portland) instead of the usual two.

We also tasted success in the US Open Cup:

2036%20US%20Open%20Report.png

An important one this as it guarantees us a place in the group stage of the next CONCACAF Champions League, which is my main reason for being here.

We have been chasing Sporting Kansas City in the league for most of the season. Strangely, we hadn't played them head-to-head at all until we reached the final seven games of the season. Going into the first clash, we were three points behind. Although the scoreline suggests a close match, we were dominant and never looked in danger of losing:

2036%20Sporting%20Kansas%20City%20v%20Seattle_%20Pitch%20Split.png

We then blew any advantage we had gained by losing to Vancouver in our next game (luckily the Cascadia Cup was already ours) making our next meeting with Sporting Kansas two matches later also vital. We were dominant again, blasting into a 3-0 lead by the break. Then the unthinkable happened - with 15 minutes to play we were 4-3 down! :eek: But there would be another twist as my team suddenly remembered how to play again and we managed to run out 5-4 winners:

2036%20Seattle%20v%20Sporting%20Kansas%20City_%20Pitch%20Split.png

Will it be enough to see us top the Western Conference standings and claim the Supporters' Shield? All to come in the next update :)

Archived