Just how important are coaches?

Obviously in the real world having an all-star coaching team is key to developing your squad. But just how effective is it in the game? I'm trying to turn a non-league team into a world beater, and already have my first promotion under my belt. My tactic's are sound and the squad i have i'm reasonably happy with, so we're looking at mid-table in our first season i would expect. As i work on keeping the results ticking over to get us the strongest finish possible, my attention has turned to looking for other areas i can improve on. And my eyes fell on my backroom staff.

Now there are some areas where it's obvious. My U21's manager will obviously need to be good to help develop his squad of kiddies, and good scouts speak for themselves. But what about generic coaches (IE Goalkeeping/Tactics/Defending/Attacking Coaches) whose only job is just to help improve the players? Just how important is it i upgrade them? If i were to enter the premier league, with premier league players and funds and tactics, but a non-league set of coaches, what would it mean? I've never been too bothered about my backroom team, and i wondered if my ignorance was costing me.

Archived