Sports Interactive Community
A1984

Thoughts on this 4-2-3-1 tatic

Started a new fm save today after not playing it for a while been busy with other things, any thoughts on the below tactic as a starting point. Only played 1 game so far v my under 21's and found the same problem as I have had in the past the defence being far to high up the pitch due to having "push higher up" selected so have removed this going forward as I ended up giving away a silly goal becuase off to much space between defence and the gk.

The only player instructions set so far are the gk, and the 2 CD's and 2 Cm's all on shorter passing and the AM on "get forward more". Just for a comparison I have posted a copy of my old Liverpool tatics below the new one, I found the old one caused a lot of problems with never really keeping the ball and giving away to many goals.

Tactics_%20Overview%20Overview-14_zpscuudmpom.png

Tactics_OverviewOverview-2_zps995653f6.png

I don't think there's a HUGE amount wrong. As far as your defence goes, I personally don't think "Close Down More" and "Low Tempo" work well together. Closing down sluggsihly means your players are leaving their posts to make a tackle while not actually getting to their target because they're not in a rush to do so. Closing down is at it's most effective when your defenders reach the man on the ball quickly and hassle him. If you are on low tempo he has enough time to make a decision, so essentially you get the bad side of closing down without any of it's benefits.

Closing Down with a HIGH tempo is a fairly solid, if aggressive, way of defending across the leagues. I've had with success with this in the Prem and in the Isthmian League with Bognor Regis. It's highly effective, to the point where when I'm playing football with my mates, I'm playing at right-back organising my defence to close down the other team, just because it's so powerful when done correctly.

Another point as far as defence, stay on feet is good for avoiding suspensions and such but your tackling takes a real hit. I'd not have an instruction for tackling, instead allowing your players to decide for themselves how to tackle an opponent. If you have a team in good form Stay on Feet can avoid suspensions without impacting your defensive abilities, but given your concerns about defence try going without it for a bit and see if it helps. You may have seen your AssMan saying "We've been poor in the tackle today" during games? Stay on Feet is what he's referring to.

Pretty sure lower tempo only applies to when you're in possession, CPt_Short. Happy to be corrected, though.

If that's the case i didn't know that. I always assumed tempo was an overall thing. Interesting to find out which it is.

I see a huge problem with your tactics actually, so I have to disagree with the other posters... You're using Liverpool! Bunch of sad sacks over there!

In all seriousness though, with a 4-2-3-1 denmark formation you're going to have to be okay with the space between your CM's and CD's. You can push higher to try and tighten the gap, but as you already said that caused you issues.

Sometimes a change of shape is ultimately your best bet. However a last ditch thing could be telling your holding mid (CM-D) to close down less / much less. This would help him keep shape, and be aware that by default a CM-D is set to "close down more" despite his status as a holding player. To be honest the CM strata doesn't have great holding options. BWM-D, DLP-D, and CM-D all have faults in terms of being true holding players. So you may want to consider changing shape to include a DM. Or perhaps you can utilize 2 holders and then adjust your attack accordingly (so this might enable you to be more aggressive with both wingbacks). Something like... BWM-D + CM-D or DLP-S + DLP-D. I wouldn't use a BWM-D in your set up because he's crazy aggressive, even with a CM-D partner. B2B, AP, RPM, and CM-S are all too aggressive to be considered holders, but like I said DLP-S, CM-D, or DLP-D could work. Find a pair that suits your tactics and go from there.

Or change shape.