Sports Interactive Community
OzgurVatan

Football Manager Sound

It'd probably go down with the majority of the userbase saying "Oh yeah, that's right, this game had sound."- probably you and me included.

I'm not saying it doesn't need improving. To those who do use it, it probably is ridiculously stagnant, and I sympathise- my parallel with the text commentary (which, again, we also previously had better functionality with) is a sympathetic one. But it's easy to understand why it'd be so low on the priority list- for most people, it's a non-issue and the focus would be better elsewhere. SI probably have a graphics team dedicated to that. I suspect they don't have a sound one.

FM's sound effects are definitely ready for an overhaul. SI would only need to fix and improve the config files and the community can make the improvements to the audio files.

The sounds have no impact on the gameplay of course and I don't have a problem with anybody who turns them off, but for those who do like sound effects on, SI could just fix the 'custom team and player chants' so that they play randomly all the way through the matches. That would suffice for the time being and I think more people would play with sounds switched on if they could hear a few of their team's chants during the game.

I play my matches in 3D and for the full 90 minutes. Having the sounds turned on adds to the realism for me and I hate distractions like music and TV while I'm absorbed in my match-day experience.

I've cleaned up some of the audio clips and added better effects like the ball rattling off the woodwork, and some of the crowd reaction sound effects I have also edited. I have a collection of over 12,000 team chants that I've accumulated over the years and I'm just waiting for SI to fix the SOUND_TEAM_CHANT feature then I'll be able to put them to good use!

Mainly I go to matches in real life for the atmosphere and to watch the fans in action. It's the best part of football in my opinion and the reason I collect fan chants!

The broken config files have been reported as a bug and SI are looking into it:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/417796-Reviewed-Match-sounds-issue-%28SOUND_TEAM_CHANT%29

FIFA has crowd specific chants for every team in the EPL and they get boring/annoying after 3 games. Imagine after 3 seasons. Plus they probably put more money into it than SI could ever.

Sounds should be in the game IMO. As others have said, just make this feature customisable and the community will do the rest as in the past. I was unaware you couldn't add chants in this version and it's disappointing to hear you can't. Along with the sounds it would be great to have access to customising the stadia for each team.

The audio patch that is available now is fully working and beats the default sound hands down. It would be nice to see SI actually look into implementing better audio in the future.

The point is that FM is a game where the sounds have absolutely no impact on the gameplay- you don't need to hear anything to play

You can say that about pretty much 99.99% of all games.

With FM being a sports game constantly getting better and more realistic, the sound in matches has been neglected for a long time now and matches have very little atmosphere and there's some of us who like the FM experience as authentic as possible. While some things are not possible like chanting licensed songs, some others are and the sound definitely needs improving. I'd also suggest a "Manager" view in 3D matches (a little higher than standing level) and the ability to pan left and right in this view with controls like the rail cam controls (pressing keys N or M) except from a fixed point

Nobody is saying the sound doesn't need improving. It does. But there are a lot of other aspects of the game that most people would see SI's time and energy devoted to. It's not at all a high priority, and most would agree rightly so. It falls into the "it'd be nice if..." category, rather than "this must change..."

Opening it up to the community appears a good solution, as it is with other areas of the game (text commentary and press conferences being two examples). Whether SI want (or are legally/physically/technically able) to do that is up to them- I'm sure there are more considerations in doing so than many of us have thought about.

Am I the only one that uses sound? It`s not that the sound are very good, but it helps me getting into the right atmosphere. I love how they chant for every pass my team makes when in possession, thats the only real good thing with the sound packs as it stands today.

Has the ability to add team specific chants been made available in FM16? Has the sound improved in anyway from recent FM's?

There are loads of options in the community to cater for just about every aspect of FM. In my Facebook group we have some superb skinners and links to all kinds of extras. Personally I've been responsible for making alternative 3D match balls,graphical add ons and modifying an audio commentary programme,which also includes far superior crowd sounds. It's all out there,you just need to seek it out !

care to share a link bartdude?

I have never used the sound and any improvements wouldn't change my mind.

I enjoy listening to the radio, or some other form of media when I am playing.

Way way back on CM2 i used to listen to the commentary by Clive Tyldesley, then on CM97/98 I played the album 'Jagged Little Pill' to death while playing the game. Have never really used the crowd sounds and always turn them off. These days while playing I just react to a goal with a brief commentary sentence and i'm guessing I'm not alone? Anyone else want to own up to doing that?

I never use the sound personally, but I used to when it worked. Yet another thing that is broken but wont be fixed.

Sound is part of the immersion of the game. I can't imagine watching a soap opera or cranking Dimmu Borgir while watching a sport......maybe I'm too old to multi-task in that way? But for those of us who enjoy the game atmosphere an update would be welcome. For several years I have been using the FM11/12 Sound Pack by Bennico & Barkermush with chants et al.....works for me!! I stand with you OzgurVatan.

I'm a long-term FM player and while the game and it's features have grown I really can't understand why the game's sound remains so poor. Yes, it doesn't take from the overall quality of the game but improved crowd effects would add to the immersion. I even remember back on CM01/02 that in the South American leagues you had slightly different sound effects of whistling and firecrackers and in other leagues you'd sometimes get chants of 'sack the board'- that was several years ago and things seem to have gone backwards if anything from then.

A little bit of creativity wouldn't go amiss - crowd effects suited to various regions and levels of football, ex-players perhaps getting booed when in possession etc, booing the manager/board...

It really does surprise that the sound is so outdated and frankly, rubbish.

Let's hope this thread gets them thinking about improving it. SI is an established company, I'm sure they can invest resources and time into improving this aspect of the game.

I'm a long-term FM player and while the game and it's features have grown I really can't understand why the game's sound remains so poor. Yes, it doesn't take from the overall quality of the game but improved crowd effects would add to the immersion. I even remember back on CM01/02 that in the South American leagues you had slightly different sound effects of whistling and firecrackers and in other leagues you'd sometimes get chants of 'sack the board'- that was several years ago and things seem to have gone backwards if anything from then.

A little bit of creativity wouldn't go amiss - crowd effects suited to various regions and levels of football, ex-players perhaps getting booed when in possession etc, booing the manager/board...

It really does surprise that the sound is so outdated and frankly, rubbish.

Let's hope this thread gets them thinking about improving it. SI is an established company, I'm sure they can invest resources and time into improving this aspect of the game.

But the fact remains that it's just not that important in the grand scheme of things. Whenever these threads come up, the consensus seems to be that a minority use the sounds - fair enough - but the majority either listen to other things while they're playing, or just switch the sound off entirely. For a lot of people, it's one of the first things they do when they first start the game. It's not about how established a company SI are, it's about prioritisation. Other things need the resources far more.

I don't think "a minority use the sounds", for what I read here it seems to me it's the majority (well maybe it's even..) And probably some of those who switch the volume off when playing the game would give it a try if the matchsounds were improved.

I actually play with sounds ON, and I'd love to see a huge improvement on this area of the game which hasn't been touched in years. There have been improvements on stadiums, burger vans, daylights, physios.. they added manager avatars on the pitch. In my opinion sounds should get a bigger priorisation compared to all this stuff.

I don't think "a minority use the sounds", for what I read here it seems to me it's the majority (well maybe it's even..) And probably some of those who switch the volume off when playing the game would give it a try if the matchsounds were improved.

I actually play with sounds ON, and I'd love to see a huge improvement on this area of the game which hasn't been touched in years. There have been improvements on stadiums, burger vans, daylights, physios.. they added manager avatars on the pitch. In my opinion sounds should get a bigger priorisation compared to all this stuff.

I'd wager if we did a poll of every FM player, the majority of them would play without sound. Obviously I have no basis for this other than anecdotal gubbins based on how everyone I know who plays the game sets their preferences, but so many people play it whilst actually doing something else (such as working) that the sound is actually a distraction rather than an enhancement for me and every FM player I know. I can certainly see why it's not a priority for SI, given that a significant number of FM players don't use it at all.

I'd wager if we did a poll of every FM player, the majority of them would play without sound. Obviously I have no basis for this other than anecdotal gubbins based on how everyone I know who plays the game sets their preferences, but so many people play it whilst actually doing something else (such as working) that the sound is actually a distraction rather than an enhancement for me and every FM player I know. I can certainly see why it's not a priority for SI, given that a significant number of FM players don't use it at all.

I'm pretty sure there was one - or at least a thread - that pretty much said that.

I'd wager if we did a poll of every FM player, the majority of them would play without sound.

Yes, but because it's so poor.