Sports Interactive Community
mikcheck

Question about building a new stadium

Hello all.

Is there any point asking the board to build a new stadium? I'm playing as AS Roma and after 10 seasons, and after i won another champions league i ask the board (for curiosity) to build a new stadium and they accept.

The capacity of the current stadium is 73.261 and the average attendance (that's been increasing every year) is about 68.000, i'm not sure about the number cause i'm can't access the game now but it's not far from that.

So my question is, if the actual average attendance does not completely fill the stadium, i guess that there is not much point building a new one?

I'd say there is no reason for doing this, as you say you aren't filling it and a new 75k+ stadium will be £200m++ I'd imagine, probably 300+.

I think the point to ask for a new stadium is the point when you have A) Alot of money, to reduce the amount borrowed for the new build B) A fanbase much larger than the current stadium capacity.

I use a 3rd party real time editor to check the stadium expansion possibility and also the fanbase size, I wouldnt use it for anything else but I like to know these stats and I feel they are stats a real club would be able to get.

Why, when you have a stadium and fanbase of that size, would you not expand it? You don't need a drastically high increase in capacity, and this would be more cost-effective.

I'd guess that this option wasn't available, maybe the stadium isn't owned by the club (common I think in ITaly), maybe it was already at it's expansion capacity.

In real life clubs sometimes build new stadiums without expanding the size. A more modern stadium can have better options for generating income, like a larger proportion of expensive seats, or better suitability for commercial activities.

I've just started my 5th season as Nottingham Forest boss and have already had The City Ground expanded from about 30,000 to 48,000 over the previous 4 seasons (including one season spent at Coventry City's Ricoh Arena) then I thought I'd save it & quit the game.. so I thought I'd ask for a new stadium for a laugh, they sanctioned it and it's being built by 2020!

Not sure of the size though. The City Ground was built in the 1800's so pretty old, be great if they named it after me.

Thank you for your replies.

So my average attendance is 68.159 for a stadium with 73.261 capacity. Would i still benefit for a new stadium? Would you guys do it?

As this point of the save, i can say i´m wealthy club due to great player sales and winning the last two champions league.

New stadiums definitely aren't just about increasing capacity. Sometimes an old stadium just needs to be replaced. As mentioned above, a new stadium can have all kinds of new ammenities - more luxury boxes, etc.

It will be interesting to see what the new stadium pops out as for capacity. If you aren't filling the existing stadium, you might actually see it drop, at least in theory.

I'm sure I remember reading a while ago that you had to have at least 95% attendance for the board to sanction a new stadium. I can't say I've ever seen a new stadium reduce a clubs capacity (in FM) so not sure if this is coded or not, likewise with other amenities.

In my save Spurs have bugged and have taken permanent residency in Wembley Stadium.

From what i understand, they would usually move into a new stadium with a ~55,000 capacity, so i took a random Spurs season and had a look at the attendances highlighting all those above what would fill the new stadium they should normally get which can see you here (the green ones, there are eleven, i messed up the highlighting ;)).

I think you'd face a similar thing with your new Roma stadium where you would get higher than your current capacity allows in some games and would have to ask yourself, as i'm sure someone playing as Spurs in the screenshot i linked would, do you think there would be enough highlighted fixtures to justify the extra cost of the larger stadium?

You wont ever get to 100% capacity in a stadium. Ive always put it down to away support, you can have the best club in the world but not have every seat filled due to the away support not coming.

So if you increase the size/build new stadium then your average capacity will go up.

Its always worth doing it if given the option.