Sports Interactive Community
Ropo

[FM15] An Eastern Bloc Party

2014/15

Dinamo St. Petersburg (Russian First Division)

I spent a vast amount of pre-season wondering what purpose Dinamo St. Petersburg fulfill. Who is going to watch them? Why are they going to watch them? And will they approve of my unadventurous 4-4-2? Probably not. They appear to exist, at least in terms of Football Manager 2015, entirely in the shadow of Zenit, yet somehow slightly beyond a Soviet wilderness referred to by the game as the 'Russian Second Division' - where I assume failed managers go to die.

Once I had finished pondering my team's existence I moved onto these more relevant questions:

• Why is £6k of my £20k wage budget being paid to one player? (I'm still working in GBP, deal with it)
  • Why does my Chairman have nothing better to do with his 'cash injections'?
  • Why does being able to bring on a fourth substitute in each game give me the heebie-jeebies?

I only managed to come up with an answer for the first of the above questions. The answer was 'I don't know' and subsequently I guilt-tripped said player into finding a new club during the winter break. Although I can only have three foreign players on the pitch at any one time, the few players I brought in included a Ukrainian striker (captain), a Ukrainian anchorman (vice captain) and an egotistical teenage Brazilian playmaker (who I hate).

Having failed in my attempts to relegate his beloved Dinamo, my Chairman offered me a second chance and signed me on for another year. Cheers mate!

Russian First Division: 15th (of 18 with 3 relegated)

Russian Cup Beaten in Fifth Round by Terek Grozny (entered fourth round)

2015/16

Having survived relegation in my first season I was feeling a bit more positive about things going forward. Unfortunately my Chairman, who I think would sell a kidney to keep his club afloat, cut the wage budget by the £6k I trimmed off the wage bill last season (he still put in over £1m anyway so joke's on him). By this point the playing squad's annual salary was the second lowest in the division

I ended up dipping in and out of the relegation zone throughout the campaign, despite making good use of the free transfer and loan markets, before settling on 15th place on the final day. Last year we survived by two points, this year by one - so I still have goal difference to rely on.

I managed to sell a young, back-up forward for £250k, but if the money is just going to delay another investment by the board I hardly see the point in selling players. Other transfers included a new central defender, the loan-turned-permanent signing of a midfielder from Rubin Kazan, and a ginormous Croatian to replace my Ukrainian midfielder, who retired at 34 having been distinctly rubbish all season.

As I conceded way too many goals I decided that next season I would utilize an occasionally deployed 4-5-1 system designed to bore anyone near it to tears.

Russian First Division: 15th (of 18 with 3 relegated)

Russian Cup: Beaten in Fourth Round by SKA Khabarovsk (entered fourth round)

2016/17

Not too sure what happened this season, but the 4-5-1 worked a treat and I ended up securing a fourth place finish - and a spot in the Premier Division if we could beat Amkar Perm (finished in the Prem relegation places) over two legs. We ended up losing 2-1, which might have been for the best as Dinamo's stadium is miles off the 10,000 minimum capacity required to play in the top-flight. Maybe the Chairman will pop to B&Q over the summer so we can knock together a temporary stand.

As I now have a team which doesn't lose every week, here is a bit of a summary for anyone who might be interested.

I've been playing a flat 4-5-1 with the striker dropping deep, offering to pick up the ball and dribble/pass it towards the flanks - my Ukrainian captain plays here and has been my top scorer in all three seasons with an unremarkable 35 goals in 92 games.

The wingers are set to attack and seem to cross from deep towards the forward if he's in the box, or arrive late as another option to stretch the defence. One of them is up for First Division Player of the Year... so good for him.

The centre of midfield is made up of the egotistical Brazilian playmaker, the giant Croatian and the ex-Rubin Kazan youngster. The Croat kicks people and the Brazilian sends me rude messages if I don't play him every week - it's a good balance.

I don't intend to sign anyone this summer apart from a bit of competition for the deep-lying forward role. Up the Dinamo!

Russian First Division: 4th (of 18 with 2 promoted and 2 play-off places)

Russian Cup: Beaten in Fourth Round by Yenisey (entered fourth round)

Is it me or ALL Playmakers........egotistical? or is it only Brazilian ones? Any way good start.....just don't get exiled to Siberia!

Good stuff. What reputation and badges did you start with? Any coaching courses done yet?

The centre of midfield is made up of the egotistical Brazilian playmaker, the giant Croatian and the ex-Rubin Kazan youngster. The Croat kicks people and the Brazilian sends me rude messages if I don't play him every week - it's a good balance.

I can totally picture this in my mind. Made me laugh.

Is it me or ALL Playmakers........egotistical? or is it only Brazilian ones?

Isn't it part of the job description? If they weren't, they'd be regular midfielders.

Is it me or ALL Playmakers........egotistical? or is it only Brazilian ones? Any way good start.....just don't get exiled to Siberia!

I'm relatively sure that the Advanced Playmakers are all egotistical, but the Deep Lying Playmakers are a little more personable.

Good stuff. What reputation and badges did you start with? Any coaching courses done yet?

I can totally picture this in my mind. Made me laugh.

Isn't it part of the job description? If they weren't, they'd be regular midfielders.

I started with my experience set to Professional Footballer (Regional) - I think my reputation might have gone up because I got asked about a Russian national squad inclusion this season (so I completely ridiculed Juande Ramos' selection process). No coaching courses yet; no money for such things!

2017/18

Unfortunately I wouldn't win another game as Dinamo boss. Despite pretty much sticking with the same side that finished fourth last season, we drew our first four and then started losing. Although I was a bit bemused by the sudden swing in fortunes I can't say I was that gutted when I was linked with a bigger job. After 11 long games I moved on.

2017/18

Torpedo Moscow (Russian First Division)

Torpedo Moscow used to be very good and then they ran out of money. In the '00s they regularly finished in the top five of the Russian Premier Division, and probably had an occasional crack at Europe, before falling down the leagues - so I took control of them sat comfortably in 8th place in the First Division.

The good news is that Torpedo are minted in comparison to Dinamo, with a £1.8m transfer budget for me to splash.

The bad news is that:

• My appointment came the day after the summer transfer window shut.
  • My six best defensive players were all foreign - I can only field three non-Russians at a time.
  • My two most capable Russian full-backs were not registered to play league football.
  • Torpedo are exiled from their home stadium, playing games an hour outside of Moscow and attracting an average attendance per match of 700.
  • I would later realise that 'competition rules' would stop me offering more than £1.1k a week to potential new signings.

Despite this I have to admit the squad wasn't too bad, although it didn't fit into the 4-5-1 I used with my old team. Instead I eventually settled on a 4-4-2 Diamond - I'll probably buy to suit this system in the summer as it worked quite well towards the end of the season. I also need to complete the clear out of foreign players... most of them, anyway.

We ended up finishing 9th, which satisfied the board's minimum expectation of a respectable final position in the league. Viva Torpedo!

Russian First Division: 9th of 18

Russian Cup: Beaten in Fourth Round by Ural (entered fourth round)

(Dinamo St. Petersburg finished 16th and were relegated)

2018/19

I spent a lot of money on transfers this season. Wages for new signings are capped at £1.1k for First Division clubs so it's not much use being heavily under your wage budget. My masterstroke was signing a central defender in January for nearly a million on the condition he would be loaned back for the remainder of the season. Training session after (!?) the last game of the season - broken leg. Other than that I spent £165k on a striker who was nominated for young player of the season, and £300k on another forward and £70k on a left back.

The fruits of my labour? 7th.

I guess this is a slight improvement on last season's 9th place finish but hardly vindicates me throwing loads of money at the transfer market. The good news is I've bought a lot of young players so they should get better in time.

Next season the board want a respectable finish once again. So as long as I don't do any worse I should be safe - towards the end of the season I was linked with a couple of top division jobs (Krasnodar for one) but I doubt I'll make the jump if they come calling. Also the board appear to be planning a new stadium which is great because I'd imagine it will be in Moscow.

Viva Torpedo!

Russian First Division: 7th of 18

Russian Cup: Beaten in Fifth Round by Mordovia (entered fourth round)

2019/20

This season I brought an Ecuadorian striker out of retirement. I don't know if he was actually, formally retired, but he hadn't had a professional contract to six years, and I handed him a route back into the beautiful game - giving him opportunity and hope like a managerial Mother Theresa. 4 goals in 12.

I've built a relatively decent young squad around my 4-4-2 Diamond formation; even got a Brazilian midfielder in there somewhere as seems to be the staple of any eastern European side. The board continue to plan new training and facilities and a new stadium (bring on the Ropo Bowl).

I continued my progression in the league, finishing 5th. Cups suck @rse.

Russian First Division: 5th of 18

Russian Cup: Beaten in Fourth Round by Ural (entered fourth round)

2014/15 - Russian First Division - Dinamo St. Petersburg - 15th
2015/16 - Russian First Division - Dinamo St. Petersburg - 15th
2016/17 - Russian First Division - Dinamo St. Petersburg - 4th
2017/18 - Russian First Division - Torpedo Moscow - 9th
2018/19 - Russian First Division - Torpedo Moscow - 7th
2019/20 - Russian First Division - Torpedo Moscow - 5th

2020/21

This season the board wanted me to finish in the play-offs (top four) as a minimum, so when I was in the relegation places after 14 games it did look like I was going to be out on my @rse by Christmas. Even my players started telling me I should abandon the diamond, but I told them where to stick it. Believe in the diamond!

We turned it around and went on a lengthy unbeaten run, finishing third and beating Premier League side Mordovia over two legs to take their place in the top flight. One of the biggest factors in winning promotion was the (now) 34 year old Ecuadorian striker I signed last season, who had been without a club for six years. He announced his impending retirement before scoring 17 times (including four in the play-off matches) - shame he's hanging up his booties really.

So I got promoted at the seventh time of trying. VIVA TORPEDO!

Russian First Division: 3rd (of 18 with 2 automatically promoted and 2 play-off places)

Russian Cup: Beaten in Fifth Round by Gazovik Orenburg (entered fourth round)

2020/21 - Russian First Division - Torpedo Moscow - 3rd (Promoted)

2021/22

Torpedo Moscow (Russian Premier Division)

First season in the top flight saw the mighty Torpedo finish 12th, one place above the relegation play-off places. Notably, we did the double over Rubin Kazan, beat rivals Lokomotiv Moscow at home, and drew all four games against Spartak and Dinamo.

Reaching the promised land of the Premier Division meant I was able to field a few more foreigners - I couldn't find many Prem standard Russians so I scoured Europe and brought in players on short term deals, with the intention replacing them with domestic signings this summer.

I think next season will be a bit more of a struggle but at least we'll have moved into our brand new stadium, so we can lose in style.

Russian Premier Division: 12th (of 16 with 2 automatically relegated and 2 relegation play-off places)

Russian Cup: Beaten in Sixth Round by Zenit St. Petersburg (entered fifth round)

2020/21 - Russian First Division - Torpedo Moscow - 3rd (Promoted)
2021/22 - Russian Prem Division  - Torpedo Moscow - 12th

This was quite fun to read up to this point. :D I'll be sure to keep on following, good job over the past few seasons.

This was quite fun to read up to this point. :D I'll be sure to keep on following, good job over the past few seasons.

Thanks for taking an interest in my ramblings.

2022/23

Torpedo Moscow (Russian Premier Division)

This season was pretty turbulent. The problem with the Premier Division is that there are eight or so 'big' teams who are sniffing around the European places, and then around another eight who wouldn't look out of place in the First Division. My team still falls into the latter bracket, and thus a tough run of fixtures can result in a long winless run.

Highlights of this season were beating CSKA Moscow 6-3 towards the end of the season - although I was then immediately on the receiving end of a 6-0 trouncing by relegation troubled SKA Khabarovsk - and reaching the semi finals of the Russian Cup. Once again we sealed our place in the top flight on the last day of the season, finishing 11th.

I've probably spent longer than I anticipated managing in Russia. The flights home take a little bit too long and the McDonalds tastes a little bit too weird, so I'm considering jumping ship with Western Europe my likely destination. On the other hand however Torpedo are currently in the midst of a board takeover and I may stick around to see if the owners have any cash for me to throw around.

Russian Premier Division: 11th (of 16 with 2 automatically relegated and 2 relegation play-off places)

Russian Cup: Beaten in Semi Final by CSKA Moscow (entered fifth round)

2014/15   Russia  First Division     Dinamo St. Petersburg  15th
2015/16   Russia  First Division     Dinamo St. Petersburg  15th
2016/17   Russia  First Division     Dinamo St. Petersburg  4th
2017/18   Russia  First Division     Torpedo Moscow         9th
2018/19   Russia  First Division     Torpedo Moscow         7th
2019/20   Russia  First Division     Torpedo Moscow         5th
2020/21   Russia  First Division     Torpedo Moscow         3rd (Promoted)
2021/22   Russia  Premier Division   Torpedo Moscow         12th
2022/23   Russia  Premier Division   Torpedo Moscow         11th

2023/24

Paris FC (French Ligue Two)

A lot of things happened over the summer break. After finishing 11th in the Premier League with Torpedo Moscow my itchy feet got the better of me and I applied to become manager of Slavia Prague, interviewing unsuccessfully. Soon after that the board takeover completed (end of transfer embargo), and my new chairman announced his intention to replace me (start of new transfer embargo) - not on my watch, mate. Resigned.

I pretty quickly got an interview at Anji Makhachkala who subsequently offered me an £8m transfer budget to finish mid-table in the Russian second tier. Although I was very tempted to stay in Russia and see what I could build with such strong financial backing, when it came down to it I didn't really feel like revisiting old ground once more.

Next came Paris FC - a small team who apparently formed when two pre-existing sides merged to become Paris Saint-Germain in 1969. I fancied the challenge; a big catchment area, a small transfer kitty (£400k) and a few decent players - but nothing prepared me for the season ahead. We stormed the league, sealing the title by beating AJ Auxerre 1-0 in the third to last game of the campaign.

Obviously I was chuffed as my very limited managerial talents rarely lead to silverware, but I reckon next year could well be too big of a step up for a team that I'm not sure are actually that good. We do have a cracking right winger, a thirty goal a season striker and 'the next Paul Gascoigne' on loan from Crystal Palace, but otherwise I'm not convinced.

For the moment though, Viva Le PFC!

French Ligue Two: 1st (of 20 with 3 automatically promoted)

French Cup: Beaten in Ninth Round by Amiens SC Football (entered Seventh Round)

French Coupe de la Ligue: Beaten in Third Round by AS Saint-Etienne (entered First Round)

2023/24   France  Ligue Two          Paris FC               1st  

France Under 23's (Olympic Games)

Over the Summer I decided to apply for the role of France's Olympic football team manager, as I wanted one of those big gold chocolate coins that the winners get. The rules are simple; the squad must be made up of players under twenty-three years of age, apart from three senior players - although the latter could not be part of the most recent full international squad. The senior players were a 24 year old Lyon midfielder (who was attracting attention from Manchester United), a 29 year old winger/striker playing for Dinamo Moscow and a 29 year old striker playing for Monaco. The rest of my squad was mainly made up by players from the French leagues, although there were a couple playing in England.

Having beaten the United States and drawn with Portuguese side Braga in warm up games, I set up the team to play in the same tactic that I won Ligue Two with Paris FC last season. We beat Colombia, New Zealand and Holland in our group games before dispatching Spain, Portugal and Brazil to be crowned champions of Olympia.

I subsequently quit because juggling two jobs is way too difficult. Viva Le France!

Olympic Games Winners

2024      Int     Lisbon Olympics    France Under 23's      Winners  

Gold medalist! Nice work. I've never won the Olympics in FM, I even once managed to lose in the semis with Spain.

Cheers Bilbo Baggins.

2024/25

Olympiakos (Greek Superleague)

After a few top flight games with Paris FC I found my interest diminishing, despite a half decent start to the season. So I resigned and took a short break, recharged my batteries, and at the start of January Olympiakos came calling.

The job remit was to win the Greek Superleague; with 13 games remaining we were four points off top placed PAOK. The squad was aging but definitely up to scratch - and having won the league for the last fourteen seasons so it should have been. And so the pressure was on. We were also in the knock-out stages of the Europa League - fast-forwarding we knocked out Ukrainian side Dnipro before falling to Villarreal.

A problem did arise with the playing squad over the course of the season, in that a lot of them were aging and looking for a last chance to win something meaningful. I ended up losing my star midfielder, whilst a couple more agreed to stay for the rest of season at least, and my captain, a 39 year old goalkeeper, announced his impending retirement. It became clear that squad would need overhauling sooner rather than later.

In the end it went down to the wire, and the stakes couldn't have been higher:

The Athens derby, a sell-out, on the final day of the season. With PAOK heavily breathing down the league-leaders' necks, Olympiakos need to win to secure a fifteenth consecutive title - they have not lost a league game all season. AEK Athens on the other hand are two points off safety, and anything less than three points will see them relegated to the second division.

So what happened? AEK got a free-kick in the 89th minute which hit the crossbar, cannoned off my retiring goalkeeper's head, and rolled in, lifting AEK out of the relegation zone. I had to laugh. Luckily though, Veroia had pulled a fast one against PAOK and I celebrated my first top flight league title (in all my years of playing FM).

Viva Olympia!!

Greek Superleague: 1st

Greek Cup: Knocked out in the Group Stage (before I arrived)

Europa League: Lost to Villarreal in the Second Knockout Round

2024              Lisbon Olympics    France Under 23's      Winners
2024/25   Greece  Superleague        Olympiakos             1st  

Just read through the thread and love what you're doing here. I'm more of a guy who likes to take his time working through seasons but I always enjoy seeing people blow through season after season. How long would you say it takes you to get through a season?

Your winning streak - Ligue Two title, Under 23's gold, Greek Superleague title - is pretty damn impressive! I haven't played much FM in my life but in the time that I have, I haven't even sniffed a trophy of any kind. Keep it up!

Also just read through will be following as I enjoy people managing in Eastern Europe really should give it a try myself soon. Keep up the good work.

Just read through the thread and love what you're doing here. I'm more of a guy who likes to take his time working through seasons but I always enjoy seeing people blow through season after season. How long would you say it takes you to get through a season?

Your winning streak - Ligue Two title, Under 23's gold, Greek Superleague title - is pretty damn impressive! I haven't played much FM in my life but in the time that I have, I haven't even sniffed a trophy of any kind. Keep it up!

Cheers! I take a really long time over my transfers but I don't tinker with my tactics too much at all which allows me to roll through a season quite quickly; I normally have a couple of evenings free each week where I will really get some game-time in.

Also just read through will be following as I enjoy people managing in Eastern Europe really should give it a try myself soon. Keep up the good work.

Thanks - I guess I didn't stick to Eastern Europe in the end but who knows, I may head back there one day. Would recommend having a crack at Russia, definitely.

2025/26

Olympiakos (Greek Superleague)

Once again we captured the Greek league title (Olympiakos' sixteenth consecutive championship, my second). It's a bit of a funny league because we are so far ahead of the competition; I am guilty of picking weakened sides in the league at points so that I can field fresh players in Europe, which I guess says a lot. We only lost once this season.

I'm trying to concentrate on building for the future so I had a lot of scouts going to wacky places to try to uncover some talent. My aim really is to be self-sufficient but the youth products that come through our set-up are nothing special, so I'm having to send the boys out. We did manage to make a healthy profit this season in any case, spending £6m with £16m received in transfer fees, and I intend to continue bringing in players with sell-on value.

Europe was lots of fun as we managed to finish third in Group E and qualify for the Europa League knock-out stages, beating Fiorentina, Club Brugge and Everton on the way to the Semis, where Lyon disposed of us emphatically.

Our best players this season were the (now) 34 year old English winger/striker I signed from Hull in my first piece of business after I took over last season (24 goals and 16 assists) and an Argentinean right back signed from Gimnasia (£2.4m). I'm also preparing to lose a Spanish playmaker I signed from Atletico Madrid for £2.5m in the summer, as a whole host of clubs mulled over making a £12m bid in January.

Next season the plan is to continue to make profit in the transfer market and get a bit more depth in the squad so we can get an unbeaten league season in.

Greek Superleague: 1st

Greek Cup: Knocked out in the Quarter Final by Panathinaikos

Champions League: Finished third in the Group Stage (PSG, Leverkusen, Dinamo Moscow)

Europa League: Knocked out in the Semi Final by Lyon

2024              Lisbon Olympics    France Under 23's      Winners
2024/25   Greece  Superleague        Olympiakos             1st 
2025/26   Greece  Superleague        Olympiakos             1st 

Orlando City (Major League Soccer)

With a bit more free time to spend the Eastern Bloc Party has been sparked back to life; I know, I know, I'm delighted too.

My first step was to resign as Spurs boss and take on a much bigger challenge - breaking the US. Thanks to my prior success in Europe I could take my pick from all of soccer manager jobs on offer, but Orlando was always going to be first choice. After a couple of weeks of purchasing Disney memorabilia it was time to get to work.

Firstly: No clue what's going on. Everyone keeps complaining about drafts and waivers and I have two centre-backs on a Disabled list. Not to worry. I immediately snap up some yoof from the Orlando City Academy side, some of which end up playing bit part roles in my team despite being 15/16 years old. A handy Brazilian striker (we've been here before) and an American defender who I signed for Spurs a few seasons ago both join to shore up my squad.

We start badly and don't really find any form until the last ten games of the season, but this proves to be enough to propel us into 3rd place in the Eastern Conference (justifying the thread title, kind of) and into the MLS Play-offs. A few more wins and we're in the final of the MLS Cup, which I assume is the league final, but San Jose Earthquakes dispose of us with a late penalty. Nevermind.

Let's go Lions, let's go! (We're called the Lions, not sure why)

Major League Soccer: 8th (3rd in Eastern Conference)

MLS Play-offs: Lost in the Final to San Jose Earthquakes (entered Semi Final)

US Cup: Lost in the Fourth Round to San Jose Earthquakes (entered Third Round)

2014/15   Russia    First Division     Dinamo St. Petersburg  15th
2015/16   Russia    First Division     Dinamo St. Petersburg  15th
2016/17   Russia    First Division     Dinamo St. Petersburg  4th (Play-offs)
2017/18   Russia    First Division     Torpedo Moscow         9th
2018/19   Russia    First Division     Torpedo Moscow         7th
2019/20   Russia    First Division     Torpedo Moscow         5th
2020/21   Russia    First Division     Torpedo Moscow         3rd (Promoted)
2021/22   Russia    Premier Division   Torpedo Moscow         12th
2022/23   Russia    Premier Division   Torpedo Moscow         11th
2023/24   France    Ligue Two          Paris FC               1st (Promoted)
2024                Lisbon Olympics    France Under 23's      Winners
2024/25   Greece    Superleague        Olympiakos             1st 
2025/26   Greece    Superleague        Olympiakos             1st
2026/27   Greece    Superleague        Olympiakos             1st
2027/28   England   Premier League     Tottenham Hotspur      8th
2028/29   England   Premier League     Tottenham Hotspur      4th
2029/30   England   Premier League     Tottenham Hotspur      5th
2030/31   England   Premier League     Tottenham Hotspur      4th
2031/32   England   Premier League     Tottenham Hotspur      1st
2033      USA       MLS                Orlando City           8th  

Orlando City (Major League Soccer)

We were pretty much unbeatable for the first chunk of the season. Then a host of European clubs decided to meet our best player's release clause ($8.75m), off he popped to Russia, and there we went our form.

A slight recovery in the play-offs meant we won the MLS Supporters Cup (I think that's what we won, by winning the play-offs, who knows).

Go Disney!

Major League Soccer: 6th (3rd in Eastern Conference)

MLS Play-offs: Won! (entered Semi Final)

US Cup: Lost in the Fourth Round to Los Angeles Galaxy (entered Third Round)

2034      USA       MLS                Orlando City           6th  

Chile (World Cup Qualifying)

I decided to do some extensive holidaying in search of one last challenge before I retire - and eventually I got offered the Chile job under the remit of turning around their qualifying campaign for the 2038 World Cup. After 11 games they sat in 8th place (of 10), with four automatic qualification spots and a further play-off spot up for grabs.

After Brazil handed me my bottom on a plate in my first game, we then managed to win a few; beating Paraguay, Peru and Bolivia on the bounce. Defeats to Uruguay and Argentina meant a couple of the other shoddier teams were breathing down our necks for the final game, but we pulled a not-so-pretty 3-2 win in Colombia to cement 5th place.

Play-offs - we drew New Zealand and tonked them 8-1 over two legs to qualify.

So one more major tournament and then Ropo hangs up his clipboard. It's been totes emosh.

2038 World Cup Qualifying: 5th (of 10), qualified through play-offs

2037                World Cup Quals    Chile                  5th (Q)  

World Cup 2038 - Australia

The Draw

In a dark European bedsit, 109 year old Sepp Blatter pours 32 grimy snooker balls into four half-clean saucepans. Here we are, ladies and gentlemen, for the draw for the 2038 FIFA World Cup.

Group B

Chile - the South Americans have never eclipsed their 1962 third place finish when they hosted the whole thing. In fact they've not really ever won anything.

France - two times World Cup winners (France '98, Spain '30) and four times European Championship winners most recently in 2020.

Mexico - similar pedigree to Chile, although they get to take part in the Gold Cup so they have actually won something.

Portugal - beaten finalists in the 04, 24 and 32 European Championships - probably quite good.

In conclusion, this is a lot tougher than it could have been. Before the draw I was dreaming of a foursome with Australia, Qatar and Greece... Cheers Sepp.

Chile (2038 World Cup - Australia)

Our pre-tournament warm-up was made up of three friendlies. We drew with Qatar, beat Belgium and thrashed Melbourne Knights (the last one was just to boost morale and keep the fitness going). Then it was onto the real thing:

Our first game was in Sydney against Mexico, who I considered to probably be the opponent we were most likely to pick up three points against. Turned out I was completely wrong, as they pegged us back for pretty much the entire game - my goalkeeper was playing an 8.9 after the first 30 minutes. We ended up losing 2-0, hitting the bar twice towards the end of the game but otherwise not doing anything at all. In hindsight I probably made too many tactical tweaks too often.

Then it was on to Melbourne to play Portugal at the Gabba, on possibly the largest pitch I'd ever seen. Again, we lost 2-0, although this time we created several clear cut chances yet still couldn't put any away. Later that day Mexico beat France to join Portugal on six points, to confirm our exit after two games.

Our final game saw us change our tactics and easily beat France 3-0, which I of course found very annoying - probably should have done that after the first game.

Retirement beckons (probably)

2038 World Cup: 3rd in group

2037                World Cup Quals    Chile                  5th (Q)
2038                World Cup          Chile                  3rd