Tactics with default passing

I've noticed that tactics tend to use either shorter passing, mostly for possession based approaches, or more direct passing, mostly for approaches based on fast transitions. That made me wonder where default passing fits in and when to use it. Is it nothing more than an in-between or does it bring some unique quality with it?

One thing to keep in mind is that match strategy has an effect on passing length.

The more defensive strategies have defenders passing more direct and attackers shorter, while the more attacking strategies are the opposite, defenders pass short and attackers pass direct. So leaving passing to default doesn't mean that everyone's just at an in-between level.

Don't lower mentalities have shorter passing as the defat as its less risky?

I've always regarded it like this

defensive - short

counter - short/mixed

standard - mixed

control - short

attacking - direct

Don't lower mentalities have shorter passing as the defat as its less risky?

I've always regarded it like this

defensive - short

counter - short/mixed

standard - mixed

control - short

attacking - direct

No they're split between the defence and the attack strata:

Defensive and Counter = Direct passes in defence, short passes in attack.

Control and attacking = short passes in defence, direct passes in attack.

As a general rule anyway.

As for not selecting any passing range in the team instructions - in theory it keeps passing range flexible. Ever seen your team do a long cross pass down the wing that gets exploited for a quick cross? That'll happen more if you don't select 'shorter passing' when you're already on a short passing system.

I've no idea why people are adverse to a mixed passing range, I actually find a team with no short/direct setting can be a helluva lot more unpredictable in attack.

Archived