Sports Interactive Community
joey7

Help with finishing

Hi there, new to FM15, all instructions now, bit different from FM13... as well as 2 years of ME development.

The trouble Im having is a consistent attacking threat playing as Everton, im playing 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-3-3, whichever way you see it.

I have a DLF (S) (Lukaku or Eto) in the middle, IF(A) (Mirallas or McGeady) on the left and W(A) ((Pienaar or McGeady) on the right. in centre mid I have CM(A) (Gibson# or Osman) and AP(S) (Barry or Osman). I hvae a lot of support from 2 full backs on automatic in Baines and Coleman. Dont like Wing Backs as they seem to hang back and not get forward with someone else playing wide with them.

The problem im encountering is that the box is getting very crowded and finding it hard to get a finishing chance away before a defender sticks a foot out and clears.

Im playing with an attacking style and balance philosophy.

Any tips or dissections?

I would imagine that the attacking style might be the cause of many of your problems.

You will push lots of bodies forward, higher tempo, and you have the IF and CM(a) trying to get into the box but the opposition will be pushed deep by your mentality (in most games at least, where you are pretty much the better side).

Unless there is a very specific reason for "attacking", try notching it back, i would even go as far as to go back to "standard" and watch a couple of games to see how it changes. You can use TI to replicate things like the tempo, width and passing style of attacking, but the drop in Dline should pull your team back a bit and give you more space to attack.

Just one suggestion - Its fairly generic advice but in your situation sounds like it might address the main cause. With your formation as you have mentioned it, i would think you should get enough movement - Lack of movement from attacking players can be a secondary cause. WIthout seeing examples its hard to say definatively, but this doesnt sound like the cause of your issue.

Cheers, tried a few switches and went for a Trequartista and IF on support, started attacking and went 1-0 up vs Hull after 12 minutes, switched to counter and won in the end 4-1, Standard for me for a few weeks.

high team mentalities are usually the first problem when talking about crowding out the box. Think about it.. when playing that aggressively your players are going to sprint towards the box and get the ball forward very quickly.

Teams that utilize 4-3-3 type of systems (think Barcelona, Ajax, etc.) can benefit greatly from playing at a lower tempo and allowing players to take a man on rather than just throwing people into the box ala old style english football.