Unsettling AI teams players don't have any meaning/effect in the game?!

Is it just me, or doesn't it do any difference to declare interest in a player through the media, making him want to leave for your club?

The AI clubs don't give a damn anyway, and keep holding on to them, and still demand the same price. So i don't see the purpose or meaning with this feature unless it's just my game? But i doubt it as i have done it with probably 50+ players already on my current game, over 4 different seasons.

A shame, as you could actually use this as a weapon in older versions of FM.

What is your experience?

Yes it makes a difference for me. I was trying to buy an average player from Lazio. They demanded 30+ mil. After I unsettled the player through the media, the player had low moral. They still wanted 30+ mil after that, so I forgot about him. 3-6 months later I go back to check Lazio, the player I wanted still had low moral and I made a bid of less than 10 mil and they accepted. Players seem to be unaffected if my club have lower rep.

I believe the contract negotiations get easier because he wants to leave.

Also if the AI manager man manages the team wrong the whole team could get upset.

I think it depends on how influential the player is and how good the manager is.

I unsettled one player and all that happened is he was placed in the youth/reserve team for a year and i just ended up hitting the transfer release clause

It depends on the situation. I wanted to buy a player from my previous club and declared an interest in him. In the summer window Southampton rejected some crazy offers and what ended up happening is he became unhappy and his morale was abysmal. I was unsuccessful in signing him. I made sure to declare my intentions to sign him just before the winter window. In the January transfer window I ended signing him for less than the offers that were rejected in the summer window. I think that unsettling a player needs to be a long term strategy rather than an immediate one.

Archived