Sports Interactive Community
Jambo98

FM15 - The community formation experiment

Aww :( you missed out my random formation. Any chance you could throw one my way? Looks to be an interesting experiment, hopefully a formation I've not used before :D

What about staff changes? Can we completely replace the staff including scouts / physios / assistants / U18 etc...

And loans covers all loans, i.e. short term loans too, not just season long loans? What about 'emergency keeper loans'?

No probs:

NDavis95 - 4240 DM Wide

You get what i think is the only strikerless default tactic :) Not so bad, since pretty much all the strikers in the squad are capable of playing either wide or AMC.

Interesting. Have been looking to try the dark arts that is strikerless so now is my opportunity I suppose.

I'm down as 4-2-2-2 DM Narrow... is that essentially Brazilian Box? Or am I 4-2-2-2 with MR/ML like it is in the tactic creator, even though there's no 'Narrow' version? In the first post I'm regular version, in the actual post i'm the narrow version?

Aww :( you missed out my random formation. Any chance you could throw one my way? Looks to be an interesting experiment, hopefully a formation I've not used before :D

Ah my apologies!

Blackdevil - 343

What about staff changes? Can we completely replace the staff including scouts / physios / assistants / U18 etc...

And loans covers all loans, i.e. short term loans too, not just season long loans? What about 'emergency keeper loans'?

Er, not sure most of that is relevant really to what we are trying to do, so if you want replace all the staff then work away.

I am also reasonably sure emergency keeper loans dont exist outside of England. You have a B and even C team, so you can always take keepers from there. The squad starts with 8 keepers overall, so i would be surprised if you need it.

Keeping it simple - You can add 3 players to your starting squad. One via Loan and 2 via transfer.

I'm down as 4-2-2-2 DM Narrow... is that essentially Brazilian Box? Or am I 4-2-2-2 with MR/ML like it is in the tactic creator, even though there's no 'Narrow' version? In the first post I'm regular version, in the actual post i'm the narrow version?

Apologies - the post 2 table was wrong. You actually came out with the 4222DM Narrow which is the brazilian box. It is in the tactics creator :)

Apologies - the post 2 table was wrong. You actually came out with the 4222DM Narrow which is the brazilian box. It is in the tactics creator :)
Fantastic :) Starting now, should have something to post by tomorrow!

Couple of decent players in the B team can be called upon as well.

I was just going to ask about this - with a three up front formation, I really need some backup strikers, and was hoping that calling up B (and possibly C) players was okay. I'm assuming they don't count towards the 2 transfers?

Starting to get some clarity now. These are the transfers I've made (players and staff):

2v9ajr8.png

In addition, I've also brought back Gerard Moreno, Moi Gomez and Nahuel Leiva from the "B" team - mainly for cover, but they are pretty good quality and will feature for sure at some point.

And this is how it's all coming together at the moment - one formation with two tactics, mainly to ensure the squad is familiar with different ways of playing.

dfavx1.png

30uwpeb.png

The formation is with players in their intended positions, so I have some positional retraining for some of them.

I'm also experimenting with telling the 2 DFs to man mark opposition fullbacks, and the 2 AMCs to man mark opposition MCs in an effort to increase how deep these players come. If I face a formation that plays with an AMC, I may also get my DLP(d) to man mark however at the moment he seems to drop pretty deep anyway - at times it almost looks like I'm playing with a half back, so pretty happy with that.

Does anyone know if it's possible to set up man marking instructions by default? At present I have to give each player their instructions in the pre-match screens.

3 friendlies played so far, all against small opposition (we won 10-0; 7-0; 10-0), so will update again once the serious stuff starts.

This has certainly got my creative juices following :thup:.

alinp - 5122 DM WB

hmmm... I've been using 3 at the back in my LFC save, so this will be an interesting variation.

replacing staff might allow me to see more players in my immediate search area and give me more options for my loan and 2 transfers. Agree it won't have much impact on the team itself...

This sounds like great fun. I'd love to be part of it :)

Lippen - 4312 Narrow

:)

I was just going to ask about this - with a three up front formation, I really need some backup strikers, and was hoping that calling up B (and possibly C) players was okay. I'm assuming they don't count towards the 2 transfers?

Yup can take players from B team and C team (although i suspect the later will not be any good). Moreno is a good enough striker who you can find in the B team i find, he is my 4th choice at the moment.

I didn't know how the 5-2-3 Narrow formation was, but I hoped it didn't look like what it sounded like.

It looks exactly like it sounds. I usually don't play with transfer budgets in the first windows, but did for this, and already used my 2 purchases. Musacchio made a hissy fit about wanting to leave, and I managed to get about £20m for him. That allowed me to make the rather boring purchase of Balanta, as well as Mathieu Duhamel, who I thought matched one of the roles I wanted to use decently.

The formation and the first draft of roles is as follows:

0pgrAlo.png

Team instructions (Standard mentality):

TddvwAN.png

The formation doesn't really look suited to any kind of possesion football with that midfield, and I've never heard of defending in one bank of 5 and one bank of 2. My idea for the formation and playing style is to play with aggressive closing down followed by quick transitions. Get hold of the ball, boot it down the left flank. Simple.

Breakdown of roles with PIs:

Gd - No PIs: As I'm using a high defensive line, I'm thinking a Sweeper Kepper should do well, so I'll probably implement that in the future.

CWBa - Close down more: Adding numbers down our crucial left flank. As we have 3 CBs, him bombing down the flank shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Centre backs - No PIs: The first choice centre backs are really decent, but I'm a bit unsure on how to set them up. I feel comfortable playing Balanta as an BPD, but I'm wondering whether I should give the other center backs the Limited Defender role to encourage more direct play, or if I should give them Shorter passing PI to encourage distribution to my DLP or BPD. May also change from C-X-C to X-C-X, but I feel the former is safer for now.

IWBs - Close down more: The thought behind this role is to let him push into midfield when we are in possesion, and to allow my right sided central midfielder to push further up in the field.

DLPd - More direct passing: Ideally this should be the guy with the key responsibility of booting the ball down left field

BWMs - Get further forward: Should regain possession, and then hopefully arrive late in the box - while being covered by the IWBs.

AFa - Run wide with ball: The spearhead and main outlet. Should take the ball out left and create chances/score goals from this position.

DFs - Close down much more: First defender, relentless closing down as well as being a presence in the box

Pa - No PIs: Someone to lurk around, trying to make the best of the AFa's end product.

I never really bother with the pre-season, so I'm already two games into the season. Issues I've taken note of is that I may have to reduce the closing down of the DL and DR positions. They press to far infield, leaving GAPING holes down the flanks, beyond what the back 3 can compensate for. I'm also monitoring how the BWMs and IWBs synergize.

I won my first against Zwolle in the Euroa League 0-2 after two nearly identical goals from set pieces that weren't influenced by my style, but I have to say I was extremly pleased with the goals we scored in the first league game:

[video=youtube;sMXCUnPwhlI]

Count me in, bit tight on time, but will give it a good crack nonetheless.

Game loaded up not come to any decisions yet, but have had a good look at the squad. It's a pretty nice squad to work with, think I could do some damage with 4-5-1, but I guess 5-4-1 can translate to 4-5-1 if I think about it enough. Center backs don't look the strongest point of the squad, which is a bit of a pain when you have 5 at the back ! But am looking forward to the challenge.

Can anyone think of a real life team/manager past or present that have used 5-4-1, been racking my brains and I can't think of anyone notable. I'm sure it's been used many times as a defensive system, was just wondering if there was anything I could emulate to an extent. I know the purpose is for me to think of a way of using the given formation, but a bit of reading never hurt anyone.

Game loaded up not come to any decisions yet, but have had a good look at the squad. It's a pretty nice squad to work with, think I could do some damage with 4-5-1, but I guess 5-4-1 can translate to 4-5-1 if I think about it enough. Center backs don't look the strongest point of the squad, which is a bit of a pain when you have 5 at the back ! But am looking forward to the challenge.

Can anyone think of a real life team/manager past or present that have used 5-4-1, been racking my brains and I can't think of anyone notable. I'm sure it's been used many times as a defensive system, was just wondering if there was anything I could emulate to an extent. I know the purpose is for me to think of a way of using the given formation, but a bit of reading never hurt anyone.

Central Coast Mariners recently did it with a twist (this site is awesome btw);

http://www.australiascout.com/2014/central-coast-mariners-tactical-analysis/

I'm in the same situation. Never played with 5 at the back before and trying to get my research right to figure a tactic out. I'm already trying something and getting results, I'll post the final shape when I think it's done.

Also curious if any managers played a 5212 SW WB or something similar . The most success I've had on this game is trying to replicate real life tactics in game, I feel that coming up with a tactic on my own is my weak spot but giving it a try.

I'm in the same situation. Never played with 5 at the back before and trying to get my research right to figure a tactic out. I'm already trying something and getting results, I'll post the final shape when I think it's done.

Also curious if any managers played a 5212 SW WB or something similar . The most success I've had on this game is trying to replicate real life tactics in game, I feel that coming up with a tactic on my own is my weak spot but giving it a try.

Look for stuff on Chile especially at the world cup, they used ball playing defenders rather than sweepers but there isn't that much difference. Also look for articles on the Dutch beating Spain as again they basically played a 5-2-1-2 but not with a sweeper.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/06/19/world-cup-tactical-analysis-spain-0-2-chile/

I'm really looking forward to trying the 4321 narrow its something I havent ever considered using before. I cannot upload pictures for some reason which is gonna be a shame as I cannot put pictures of shape during matches and stuff like that.

having evaluated the squad I am happy that it fits this formation quite well, only one wide man who cannot play centrally behind the striker. I think the weakest area of the squad is the wing backs for me, they will be my widest area. I also need one more all action midfielder to cover CM so I have signed Gaston Gil Romero.

I think Villarreal are well equipped for possession play and if set up properly this formation can be very entertaining to watch attacking like a 433 would. with that in mind I will go through my initial thought process for building the tactic

The central defensive pair I think are quite strong Mussachio and Paulista they will do a decent job and should develop a solid partnership. I think they would develop into really solid center backs if I were to continue this save going forward. As mentioned the wingbacks are probably the weakest area of the squad for me and will be offering my width I will most likely look to strengthen these two positions with my final transfer and my loan. so to begin with my positions in the back line will look like this:

GK(d)

WB(a)--CB(d)--CB(d)--WB(a)

The central 3 I think are quite solid with the addition of Gaston Gil Romero we have 4 all round midfielders who can play here and some younger guys who can offer cover along this belt and in the amc slots. I have gone for 1 sitter and 2 support roles as I need to account for the wingbacks getting further forward. whilst supporting the 3 attacking players.

CM(s)--CM(d)--CM(s)

The 3 attacking players I think are the trickiest part and wether this works or not we will have to see over the course of the season. I have stewed on the idea of which role to use here for some time. I want to play possession football but dont want to take the edge off so have gone with two shadow strikers to be my goal scoring threat, they will get beyond the striker and into the area. I have chosen the false 9 as the lone striker role to drag the central defenders away which will hopefully generate enough space for one of my shadow strikers to have extra space and hopefully get more goals.

SS(a)--SS(a)

F9(s)

This gives me as a final formation set up of

GK(d)

WB(a)--CB(d)--CB(d)--WB(a)

CM(s)--CM(d)--CM(s)

SS(a)--SS(a)

F9(s)

Yeah my xmas tree is upside down :p

I have chosen the Counter mentality as a starting point, with Flexible in the fluidity settings.

as for team instructions I have

Possession

shorter passing

work ball into box

play out of defense

Shape

Play wider

Push higher up

Defending

Close down more

get stuck in

General

Lover tempo

This is set up in a way which I think will give us a high pressure, possession game which I think the nucleas of the squad is suited for. I will update again and hopefull at some point be able to import pictures xD

Look for stuff on Chile especially at the world cup, they used ball playing defenders rather than sweepers but there isn't that much difference. Also look for articles on the Dutch beating Spain as again they basically played a 5-2-1-2 but not with a sweeper.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/06/19/world-cup-tactical-analysis-spain-0-2-chile/

Thanks , I`ll get on reading. I actually thought about using ball playing defenders and maybe retraining one of the DMs or more defensive MC to play as a center back. Also have a different setup in mind where I'll try to make some players act as wingers.

Time to read and test.

Jambo, have I missed the party? Any formations left for me?

I really enjoyed this experiment last time round. A bit less time this year but I can probably plod through a season.

Well, I've drawn the 3-2-3-2DM. At first I thought that this was way out of my comfort zone but after playing a game I quite like it. Here is the formation I used in that game (1-0 away against Tripoli in the europa league):

ar1j70I.jpg

Playing standard mentality with a flexible team shape. TI's: higher tempo and work the ball into the box.

My thoughts so far: our defence was never really tested as they parked the bus and left the attacking to their Lone Striker (their central midfield was nullified).

My CMA is not getting nearly far enough forward, maybe the F9 is keeping him back - not sure though. The wing ran into a lot of dead ends (DMD gave no support) - will need a rethink here. The RP and the CMA seemed to get in each other's way a lot. This was a poor game to test the tactic as my opposition were reluctant to attack even after going down and the DMD came out as a regista for the second half with no negative side effects except the midfield trio getting in each other's way more.

The 3-4-3 Diamond Wide is going to be interesting:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-07%20at%2011.05.56_zpsbzif8ura.png

I think the first XI kind of picks itself for this formation, so that part's simple. How to play it, though, is a bit more complex. The first step is to look at the strengths of the formation:

Strengths

• Attacking threat: 3 STs and an AMC should cause problems for most defences. The players we have for those positions fit well together too, there should be plenty of movement and they're all at least reasonably technical.
  • Central defence: 3 DCs and a DM should be able to at least make the opposition work for goals.

Weaknesses

• Attacking threat: it's great having 4 players up top like that, but how do we create opportunities for them to exploit?
  • Central defence: keeping those DCs central is going to be a challenge.
  • Midfield: we don't have one. This formation, as it stands, just isn't going to do possession football, and there's no one to pressure the opposition in the middle of park so it's going to be completely down to the defence to do the defensive work.

So, my first thought is that I want my 2 wide midfielders to be glorified wing backs: If they're dropping deeper, it should help to keep the DCs in the middle, rather than having the two outer DCs drifting wide. The DCs are reasonably rapid - 13/14 for pace and acceleration - but I really don't want a fast striker getting a clear run at the central DC. I'm thinking of making the central DC a stopper to come out of the defence to harass opponents, while the other DCs cover to try to maintain their position.

Given that effectively gives me a back 5, I want Bruno to push on a bit from DM, so I'm thinking Roaming playmaker. However, his lack of mobility is making me think more of a conventional DLP. Given that the wide mids and the DM are now staying back, I'm just going to abandon any pretence of a midfield, and play a direct game. Absent a target man, I'm hoping that the mobility of the front 4 is sufficient to find space to receive the long passes. For the front 4, given we're going direct, I'm thinking of a F9 in the middle, with the other 3 (including the AMC) on attacking roles going beyond him. If the F9 can drag an opposing defender away, there should be a lot of space for the long balls to hit. Here is the result:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-07%20at%2013.06.22_zpswmohm04y.png

I am considering switching the GK to a sweeper keeper, depending on how the defence do in an actual match.

Team instructions wise, given we're trying to make space for the forwards to run onto, I'm going with a defensive mentality, and a structured shape. I'll try the instructions work ball into box, early crosses (to avoid the WMs getting too far forward), play narrower, more direct, higher tempo and pass into space for at least the first match. I've deliberately avoided player instructions so far, I'll use them to try and fine tune.

So, that's the initial plan, time to see what happens when there's an opponent on the pitch as well.

I was quite pleased when I got this formation as I've been using a 3 CD with a box midfield (a la Mr Rodgers) with my current LFC save and thought that I could apply some similar principle and style to this.

With that in mind, my team and tactic going into my first competitive match is going to look a little like this...

frQbkUb.png?1

LFivOCk.png?1

I decided that as I was playing a fairly aggressive strategy by default, I didn't need an Attack duty up front, but a couple of Attack duties further back would be a good idea, hence the CM(A) and CWB(A). Conversely, as I have 3 CD's, I don't see a need for another defensive duty, but will caveat that slightly by having my DM as a DLP(S) in my default set up.

In the friendlies so far, I've generally played weaker sides to get some goals and improve moral whilst building tactical familiarity, but also using the time to practice an couple of alternatives, first being to change the DM to DM(S) and the CM(S) to RPM(S), the second being to drop mentality to Counter whilst changing the CF to Attack and the other CWB also to Attack.

Obviously friendly results don't tell all, but so far so good

nMTZ3Kd.png?1

Not much in the way of transfer dealings so far

V7Qq4sK.png?1

although a few staff changes

Ce9CdRj.png?1

Wow! Lots of awesome writeups already - Great ideas on how to set tactics up and how to create things from different shapes :) Great stuff and i need to read it all in some more detail.

First order of the day though, the people who have asked to join in since i last looked at the thread:

Harpoon76 - 442 Diamond Narrow

Mark. - 4141 DM

PeeKay - 3421 DM

Hopefully have not missed anyone!

Ah my apologies!

Blackdevil - 343

Whoohoo!! Not a formation I've used before, although was half hoping for the 2-5-3 :lol:.

In terms of role setup and instructions I've gone for:

3-4-3 initial formation_zpsilbon4ux.jpg

3-4-3 setup instructions_zpskhao2ifv.jpg

At the moment I'm undecided on the roaming playmaker role. I may change this depending on the opposition we play to a more deeper lying role like the deep lying playmaker, or possibly even a more attack minded role like the CMa.

The same can be said of the wide midfielders, currently in the screenshots they are on automatic, however depending on the quality of opposition and their formation they may become more defensive or attacking.

With the forward line from a defensive point of view, the wider forwards may be asked to mark the opposition full backs and the central forward to mark a defensive midfielder.

From an attack minded view the idea is for the false 9 and deep lying forward to pull defenders out of position to allow the complete forward to get in behind occasionally.

I did think of using a poacher role instead of complete forward but I also wanted the complete forward to be allowed to move around and create space for others too.

Just a quick one - on your spreadsheet in post 2 you have me listed as having the 4123DM Narrow formation, but I've actually got the 4123 Narrow.

Right, so the 3-1-3-1-2 DM. What an interesting formation this is. Essentially it is 3-4-1-2, with a midfielder dropped back as you sometimes see the AI do with the 4-1-3-2 wide from 4-4-2. The obvious deficiency is that I have players spread all over the place and thus getting the different positions to interact in a sensible manner may take some micromanagement. We are also going to get killed by teams to attack with width I feel, and so I am going to have to come up with a method to counter that (after playing my 13 friendlies I will hopefully have something.

Here is the basic idea of what I want to start with.

abIuf1wapC.png

The back three I intend to try with a BPD to start as the central of the two defenders. I am no idea how this is going to work, but I want to experiment since this is a whole thing about experimenting! The idea would be that he can join in building attacks with the regista, but we will see.

The midfield 4 (I am counting the AMC(A) with the forwards) I am almost certainly going to try different combinations. I have started with DW(S) on both sides, because I feel they are going to have to shuttle up and down the flank. I do not really want them massively high up the pitch, I envisage much attacking from the centre with these guys supplying crosses from deep and support for build up play. The DLP(S) and RGA(S) is my first attempt to combine these guys into a coherent midfield duo. I need them to be fairly static or I am going to be overrun in midfield. DLP(S) and RGA(S) should provide a stable base to build attacks, and are not likely to chase around like idiots during the game.

Finally, the front 3... This looks like a pretty standard setup. I have the DLF(S) dropping deep and the AMC(A) pushing forward to create overloads overlaps. The AF(A) can then feed on passes from these two deeper players, and try to create spaces for them with runs into the channel. Again, this will require some playing with to make me happy. But it is a starting point.

For mentality and shape I have stuck with Standard and Flexible. I need to watch games before I can judge what is going to change here. I feel I may have to play more rigid than I normally do to get the midfield to work well (I do not want them wandering over the pitch). I have no team instructions as yet, because I have almost no idea how this is going to play. I need to understand the base before I can think about how I need to modify it! For this, I have arranged 13 pre-season friendlies to give me plenty of time to play around!

Wish me luck, I have the feeling I am going to need it.

I have finally decided on the shape. Big thanks to Cleon for pointing me in the right direction, after reading a bit about Chile's tactic during the World Cup I decided to try and create something similar.

NBiH6mS.png

This win against Real Madrid made me stick to it and eventually try to make it better. Just before this game I lost 2-0 against Eibar, my only loss so far including friendlies, but against an opponent that I should have beaten. I also managed a 0-0 draw against Barcelona, beat Levante and Rayo and drew with Granada in a match that I should have won as well.

Counter/Very Fluid

Some would say that Chile were a lot more attacking than counter, and I did switch to Control when playing against weaker teams. But counter is a lot safer as a starting mentality

Very fluid because the team pressed as one, defended as one.

Team instructions are : More Direct Passing - read that Chile played a direct football and I have players that can really pick a pass, but I'm still thinking of maybe just changing this to Pass into Space. seems to direct at times

Push Higher Up - The players drop too deep on counter, I don't want my team to defend that deep. I leave this ticked when playing Control as well because in games that I feel Control is suited I want a much higher line to be able to with the ball with urgency.

Close down much more - I want a high pressing team. I know the players aren't really suited for that right now but eventually will once I sign players with a better workrate. I untick this when playing Control

Higher Tempo - Counter as default has a slow tempo build up. I feel that my players can employ a faster paced game and would benefit from that. I sometime drop this when I feel I move too fast, or when going to Control.

Roam from positions - I want a lot of movement because I feel the 5212 shape is kind of restrictive. I know that very fluid sets a higher roaming, but I feel that I need even more.

Things subject to change : The BPD have more risky passes ticked by default and I hate that. I'm really debating on leaving them like that or maybe just using one BPD and leave the other as a normal defender. Or maybe even both as CD(D) and tweak them somehow.

CM(s) - sometimes I feel that he doesn't move around to support enough and I thought about using a RPM(S) but will still think about it.

AF(A) - don't really like roles that are too concentrated on scoring and I feel that at times he dribbles too much when a passes would have been the better option. Not sure on how a CF(A) and CF(S) work together though, if anyone has experience with this feel free to offer advice.

This is kind of it so far, I also have another tactic in mind with using maybe a CM(A) to act like a deeper winger and a Trequartista to act like a more advanced winger and set the tactic somehow like a 4141 with an attacking Libero as the (1) and a False Nine maybe dropping in midfield, but still have a lot to test.

First match with the 3-4-3 diamond, and I've learned that my plan is wrong. It was a total mismatch, against a weak opponent in a friendly, but my plan of having the wide mids drop deep to form a back 5 and hit long balls from the back just didn't work: the shape is more 3-3-1-3 (or 3-3-2-2 when the F9 drops deep), than the 6-0-4 I was effectively trying to create:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-07%20at%2014.17.51_zpsa3ppnr9m.png

That said, a 12-1 win is still a 12-1 win regardless of the weak opponents. But, I think I may drop the long ball strategy: given the way the midfield actually exists, maybe a more possession based strategy may work better.

Cheers Jambo.

Started up FM15 and loaded up the 3421. Initial impression was "this is better than last year" but then I realised that I was assigned 3421DM!!!

e8c3a44dfa.jpg

Not a terrible formation. It's too defensive but does give an option to release the more of the adventurous roles.

Now it's time to check out the Villarreal squad...

Hi jambo, if there is still room I would be very interested in joining. Looking for something to get me back into the game and hopefully a nice funky tactic will do it. Also I rather like the being forced to stay consistent as it will help me away from my usual flitting between formations and tactics :)

all_gone_wrong - 4123 DM Narrow (NB - corrected post 2 as this is not the one Herne79 was given)

olieogden - 352

Thankyou! 352 looks interesting, going to have a look at the squad to see what would be the best way to play it, looks like it can play possession or counter attacking really well!

Haven't yet started my experiment but will hopefully get into on Monday or thenabouts.

Currently got another save on the go and I don't like flitting between saves but will do my best to get into this save and stick at it, even if just for one season.

My only concern about my formation is that it's too central-centric. Don't Villarreal have a few quality wingers? Might have to retrain them to play up front... Planning on making the narrow 433 a defensive shape, despite the three strikers. Will have everyone back defending bar one striker and will try to train the two outside STs to act like wingers. The three central midfielders is fine and I can work with that easily, it's the lack of width up front that concerns me. Should be a cool challenge though :cool:

e: Had a look at the team and only really Cheryshev is a winger, and he could make for a decent deep striker :thup: Thought young Moi Gomez was a winger but turns out he's a CAM. Putting him straight into my first team :cool:

Not been about for a while but quite fancy a pop at this, so if you fancy assigning me a tactic I'll do what I can. I guess the idea is to make the stock formation work as well as possible without moving positions?

following on from my earlier post with my initial thoughts and then starting my save I ended up with the following starting point

IWSvCy.png

This seemed a solid enough starting point with lots of movement between the lines etc and in preseason was really fun to watch how the team pressed and played nice intricate passes around the area creating alot of shooting opportunities. I was really excited to start the season and dominate games the way we were playing.

These stats from this game is a typical example of how we played, and the heat map is something of the 433 I was hoping to mimic, however the result did not quite go to plan. I mean no disrespect to Eibar but expected to win by a large margin.

Rpjumv.png

Dpsoor.png

Unfortunately this was the same story for my first six league games, something was definitely going wrong with my team.

nlfhVk.png

These two games especially dissappointed me, we had the most possession a decent amount of shots however we didnt create any real chances and were punished heavily by both sides.

2gOnuu.png

nKpDnF.png

So no wins in my first 6 games, the fans were unhappy, the teams morale was dead in the water and the board had pulled me into a meeting offering me the chance to plead my case of why should they not sack me, I was rock bottom of the league and decided to pass the blame onto my players :D it worked they offered me time to remain in charge of the side even though journalists claimed that the sack was looming if I did not win my next match....

My tactic by this time was fully fluid, panicked changes to the tactic would cost me my job, however something had to be done. Having six matches to evaluate would be my starting point. Now we were having the lions share of possession however this was always deep, shots were coming from distance and there wasnt real cover in wide areas when my wingbacks were getting forward. I switched things up to address these main issues to see how things would go, changing to control to try to play higher up the pitch. moving sitting players to the outside of my central 3.

we now sat with the following

0Vxbkp.png

The results that followed were

gO7EPl.png

job saving to say the least, dragging me up to 8th in the table by xmas and through to the next stage of the europa league.

Hopefully the second half of the season will show continued progression and a push for the champions league.

Ok so 5-4-1 Diamond WB turns out to be Van Gaal's formation for Holland and Man Utd

s10miv.png

Shame I don't have Rooney and Van Persie to stick in the top two slots.

I have good wing backs though, I'm thinking I'll spend the loan and transfers on another CB, a centre forward and possibly a decent keeper...

Not been about for a while but quite fancy a pop at this, so if you fancy assigning me a tactic I'll do what I can. I guess the idea is to make the stock formation work as well as possible without moving positions?

Barnet - 532 WB

Yes exactly, the formation and positions must remain the same, but you can use roles/duties/PI/TI etc to shape it.

Slightly strangely, the random generator seems to have given out a lot more back 5 and back 3 formations than back 4, but then i suppose thats the definition of "random" :)

Wow! Lots of awesome writeups already - Great ideas on how to set tactics up and how to create things from different shapes :) Great stuff and i need to read it all in some more detail.

First order of the day though, the people who have asked to join in since i last looked at the thread:

Harpoon76 - 442 Diamond Narrow

Hopefully have not missed anyone!

Ah, Death by Crossing Mark II :lol:

Time to go and re-read Cleon's excellent School of the Defensive Arts

I know we should only make 2 permanent and 1 loan signing, but can I flog or terminate loans for wide men I won't need?

I know we should only make 2 permanent and 1 loan signing, but can I flog or terminate loans for wide men I won't need?

Thats what I did.

Great! Assistant Manager thinks my formation is suitable!!

x35svc.png

Shame my coach doesn't :(

260r6o5.png

thanks guys...